+ 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Whic streak is the most impressive?

Borg 19 40.43%
Federer 13 27.66%
Lendl 2 4.26%
McEnroe 3 6.38%
Vilas 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #16
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: + 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive?

borg's by far.

not like he would've lost the walkovers
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Borg's two walkovers were to Gerulaitis and Nastase, tough matches in perspective in semi and quarterfinals : I once noticed that Borg was quite used to walkovers, do people know what reason Borg gave for these recurring walkovers ?

Was he the ancester of Rafa "I lose only when I'm injured" Nadal ?

About Vilas, yes the fact that he lost that streak because of the "spaghetti racket" has to be taken into consideration.

But Vilas's streak only was on clay, mostly small tournaments, and he never had to meet Borg.

However I voted McEnroe because there was a variety of surfaces, 15 wins for McEnroe on clay (including to LEndl and some other good players) was majestic, and because that 1984 year was so impressive in other ways that I will always vote for it

and he was two sets to love in that final against Lendl
Old 03-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
However I voted McEnroe because there was a variety of surfaces, 15 wins for McEnroe on clay (including to LEndl and some other good players) was majestic, and because that 1984 year was so impressive in other ways that I will always vote for it

and he was two sets to love in that final against Lendl
Mac won 20 straight matches after that brutal loss, so he was 62-1 at one stage

Vilas 74-1
Lendl 70-1
Borg 52-1
Federer 43-1
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
borg's by far.

not like he would've lost the walkovers
Borg lost 6 other matches that year to worse players than Gerulaitis and Nastase

but he often played on carpet, something Nadal never has to do
Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

All of Vilas' wins were on clay, therefore he doesn't win.
Borg had 2 walkovers....doesn't win.
Federer has too little wins and McEnroe is 2 behind Lendl, who stopped his streak, so they don't win.
Lendl's wins...carpet, hard & clay....can't beat that.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 460-146...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Life View Post
Lendl's wins...carpet, hard & clay....can't beat that.
Lendl's was in 1981-1982, he was not number 1 in that time, behind McEnroe and Borg, even not a slam winner, he was a thin young (talented) gun far from the Lendl of 1985-1987.

also mostly small tournaments
Old 03-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburII View Post
Vilas has a "real" 74 match winning streak because he lost his streak against a cheat string from Nastase.
Had 46 wins, then lost 16 57 ret to Nastase, then 28 more wins.

He retired because Nastase cheated that match with a double string which was suspended right after this incident. So of course this streak is without a doubt the most impressive.
Do you know why Nastase wasn't disqualified afterwards, so the win would've gone to Vilas? That's what normally happens in other sports if someone has been found to have cheated.
Apophis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
Do you know why Nastase wasn't disqualified afterwards, so the win would've gone to Vilas? That's what normally happens in other sports if someone has been found to have cheated.
because at the moment when the match was played the racket was not forbidden, even some players won several tournaments with this.

it was only forbidden some months later
Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #24
country flag duong

Here's my most rational answer.

Lendl and Vilas didn't have to meet the best players of their time.

Only Borg, McEnroe and Federer were the best players of their time during these streaks.

Borg's streak doesn't fit to me because of the walkovers.

then stay Mac and Federer : my choice goes to Mac for variety of surfaces and the 62-1
Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #25
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't voted yet but my thoughts go into this direction ->

Borg's unbeaten streak is astonishing, considering 2 majors and wins on all surfaces, but... two walkovers, you never know... I mean when he (a bit unfit) had been supposed to play for example against Deblicker and Zednik instead of Nastase and Gerulaitis, he would have played. It's a smell of cowardice in his case.

Vilas' streak would have been longer if Nastase hadn't used strings which were forbidden afterwards, but the Argentinian won only clay-court matches and Nastase was one of the best players, would have beaten Vilas anyway...

Lendl and McEnroe's streaks look familiar to me, it's tough to separate them according to numbers on OP.

Federer's streak was great (2 majors) but rather one-sided - no clay, no grass.

Taking into account scorelines, McEnroe's streak is the most impressive, before he lost to Lendl had never been close to lose a match, whilst Vilas and Borg came back from 2-sets-to-1 deficits, Lendl and Federer saved match points...
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
Vilas' streak would have been longer if Nastase hadn't used strings which were forbidden afterwards, but the Argentinian won only clay-court matches and Nastase was one of the best players, would have beaten Vilas anyway...
that's not what Vilas says, and it was on clay

this racket really did wonders according to some, at least it was really famous, I think Georges Goven won several tournaments thanks to that
Old 03-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Borg.

Longest undefeated run and included 4 surfaces.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #28
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lendl's was in 1981-1982, he was not number 1 in that time, behind McEnroe and Borg, even not a slam winner, he was a thin young (talented) gun far from the Lendl of 1985-1987.

also mostly small tournaments
The fact that a non #1 player who was behind others got that streak is even more impressive.
McEnroe's streak wasn't a complete surprise since he was the best player around.
Lendl wasn't the best player around when he got his streak.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 460-146...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #29
country flag Voo de Mar

Quote:
that's not what Vilas says, and it was on clay

this racket really did wonders according to some, at least it was really famous, I think Georges Goven won several tournaments thanks to that
Unfortunately I didn't see any matches with this racquet but it's not that every mug could take it and beat Vilas, maybe some other guys using the same racquet had been beaten by Vilas before
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Life View Post
The fact that a non #1 player who was behind others got that streak is even more impressive.
McEnroe's streak wasn't a complete surprise since he was the best player around.
Lendl wasn't the best player around when he got his streak.
well for Vilas it counts to me because he didn't have to meet Borg on this clay where he won all of this streak but where he never beat Borg if I don't make any mistake.

it's a little bit different for Lendl who beat McEnroe in the Masters but not in a slam.

Hey actually from what I see the one who broke LEndl's streak was ... Yannick Noah, my all-time favorite player before Federer