Kyle Edmund - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #76
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kyle Edmund

Gilles Simon def Kyle Edmund 7-6 7-6

Tsonga | Raonic | Dimitrov | Nishikori | Janowicz | Tomic | Sock | D.Y. | Harrison Bothers | Thiem | Kyrgios

Peliwo | Khachanov | Ymer Bothers | Kokkinakis | Coppejans | K. Edmund | Coric | Quinzi | Garin
Djere | L. Broady | JWH | Saville | Milojevic | Tatlot | Couacaud | Tiafoe | Mmoh | Kozlov | Rubin | O. Luz
Ace20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #77
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great Showing from him To Push an Former top 10 player to two tiebreaker

Tsonga | Raonic | Dimitrov | Nishikori | Janowicz | Tomic | Sock | D.Y. | Harrison Bothers | Thiem | Kyrgios

Peliwo | Khachanov | Ymer Bothers | Kokkinakis | Coppejans | K. Edmund | Coric | Quinzi | Garin
Djere | L. Broady | JWH | Saville | Milojevic | Tatlot | Couacaud | Tiafoe | Mmoh | Kozlov | Rubin | O. Luz
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #78
country flag Ace20

KYLE EDMUND: I've boxed in the same gym as Sturridge and been roasted by McEnroe... but my ultimate dream is a Grand Slam title

Quote:
In the next week or so at Wimbledon, it will be easy to heap scorn on men’s tennis in Britain. As ever, Britain’s men are under pressure.
Andy Murray is the only British man inside the world’s top 200 – in comparison, France have 20 and Germany 18 – and the lack of strength in depth seems to be exposed every year on home soil.
Since Tim Henman’s final Wimbledon in 2007, only two men other than Murray have won a singles match at SW19 – Chris Eaton in 2008 and James Ward last year.

18-year-old Kyle Edmund, here with Greg Rusedski, is one day hoping to win a Grand Slam

Quote:
Recent weeks have given hope that Kyle Edmund might just change that. A French Open junior doubles title, a decent show at Queen’s and then knocking out the world No 82 at Eastbourne suggests the 18-year-old from Beverley in Yorkshire might buck the trend.
There is hope that he can at some point join Murray in the world’s top 100.
‘You have to be so much stronger now than in the past,’ says Edmund, a quiet teenager who has reached the quarter-finals of two junior Grand Slams, the semi-finals of another and led Britain to a Junior Davis Cup win almost two years ago.
‘Boris Becker won Wimbledon at 17 but that wouldn’t happen now because boys of that age are playing junior events. Could you imagine a 17-year-old beating Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal? It’s impossible.

Breakthrough: Edmund won his first ATP Tour match against France's Kenny De Schepper at Eastbourne

Quote:
'The average age of top 100 has gone up. You don’t get to where you want to at 18. It means you have to be patient.’
Edmund is being patient but also making progress. A year ago he was ranked 1,309th in the world.
Now he’s the world No 442 and has picked up his first title – in Florida.
‘The reality is to push everything out of your game that you could have achieved,’ Edmund says. ‘You don’t want to retire thinking you wish you had worked harder. The goal is to win a Grand Slam more than being No 1.
'That’s the ultimate. It’s only a dream at the minute and there are all these obstacles in the way to overcome but I’m only 18 and have been told I’m on the right track. That’s encouraging. I have to keep focused and keep pushing.
'My coach is always telling me to believe in my ability and that I am good enough to be up there with the best. But I’ve always been told that, at this age, a successful tournament is one you take something away from. Learning something is the main thing.’

Quote:
Where Edmund differs in conversation from many other young Brits we have seen in recent years is his maturity. There is a calmness about him, a slight sense of an old head on young shoulders.
He’s not the sort of person who will be found falling out of nightclubs. You sense a natural discipline, rewarded by Monday’s straight sets win over Kenny de Schepper, ranked 360 places above him in the world.
‘I like tennis because I’m good at it, like the challenges and enjoy having to think on court. You need to look for solutions. I don’t really know why it ended being tennis. If someone would have come up to me and asked if I wanted to play cricket instead, I probably would have said yes.
'I was an all-rounder at school and played for the youth team at Yorkshire for a little while too.’

Champion: Edmund recently won the French Open junior doubles with partner Frederico Ferreira Silva
Quote:
Before Yorkshire he was in another cricket crazy place, South Africa, where his dad is from.
At three years old the family returned to Britain and his tennis talent came to the fore. A stint at Bisham Abbey was followed by a permanent move to the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton.
‘I’m fine living away from home now. When I was 12 I went to a national camp and I really struggled for three days. But now I see my parents some weekends. You mature and get used to it. And in a few years’ time I won’t be with them anyway so it’s good to get used to it. My mum struggles the most.’
Edmund hits well on both sides from the back of the court and has bulked up in the last 18 months to make sure he has the power he needs to play men, not boys. He’s improved his speed around the court too, something that came from a stint of boxing training.

Walking amongst the greats: Posing with Roger Federer last year at Wimbledon

Quote:
‘The boxing was my dad’s idea. I had always been told to use my legs more on court and boxers are so light on their feet and quick. So I tried it. I went to Hooks Gym in London and I really enjoyed it.
'I saw Daniel Sturridge down there and because he used to go a lot. The atmosphere was really good. Everyone is working hard, the music is really loud and people know how to win.
‘Nadal has that boxer look when he plays and Murray commented on it when he went to watch David Haye in Miami. The intensity they work at is incredible. It made me use my legs more, which means I’m in the right position for the ball.
'Everyone said my ball strike and speed is not a problem – I’m strong for my age – but the main thing was using my feet. I’ve always been pretty good mentally though do occasionally lose concentration in a second set.’
That’s something he’s still working on of course. There’s a long way to go to become the finished article.
‘Last year at the French Open I hit with John McEnroe. He was so focused, even practising. He didn’t want to lose a point. He changed tennis and brought it to life. He said to me “it looks like you can’t slice – you need to work on that”.’
Needless to say, the slice has come on leaps and bounds.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...lam-title.html

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #79
country flag Ace20

Aegon International 2013: Kyle Edmund savours senior moment with first win on ATP tour

Quote:
Kyle Edmund – the 18-year-old who has been tipped as the future of British men’s tennis – won his first senior singles match on Monday, defeating a player ranked 360 places above him in straight sets at the Aegon International in Eastbourne.

Kyle Edmund defeated a player ranked 360 places above him

Quote:
Edmund holds both the US Open and French Open boys’ doubles titles with his Portuguese partner Frederico Ferreira Silva, the triumph at Roland Garros the first of any kind by a Briton for 31 years. This was only his second men’s singles match, and the way he saw off Frenchman Kenny De Schepper 6-4, 6-4, the world No 82, did little to dampen the enthusiasm with which his fledgling career is being met.
Born in Johannesburg but based in Yorkshire, Edmund show remarkable composure, serving out the final game to love and dealing comfortably with De Schepper’s usually potent serve.
Edmund had been given a wild card at Queen’s Club last week on the back of his success in Paris, where he also reached the quarter-finals of the boys’ singles. Although he lost in the first round there to 16th-seeded Slovenian Grega Zemlja, the experience clearly bolstered his performance at Eastbourne on Monday. He is now due to face another Frenchman, the No 2 seed Gilles Simon, in the second round, although Simon ended a practice session on Monday with ice strapped around his ankle.
“It’s nice to get this win,” said Edmund. “I have been training hard after the loss at Queen’s, really trying to put what I could have done better into that match.
“It’s nice to be able to play at that level but my goal is to play at that level and also have a ranking out of it. It’s two different things, to play at that level, but to do it week in and week out is a different challenge and I want to be able to do that.
Quote:
“When I get nervous I go into a little bit of a shell, from past experience, so I didn’t think there was a need to be nervous because I wouldn’t be able to play my game.
“I’d be walking off the court *thinking I didn’t put everything out there, which was the last thing I wanted, so I just went out there and focused on my game, and it worked out great.”
Edmund, ranked 442 in the world, has been given a wild card for Wimbledon next week, although he says clay is his favourite surface.
He said he benefited from advice from other British players on how to beat De Schepper. “You ask around a little bit, I asked a few of the British guys like [James] Ward. I asked my doubles partner last night and he went, ‘Oh, big serve’ straight away.”
Edmund will not be joined at Wimbledon by fellow Briton Dan Evans, who lost in Wimbledon qualifying at Roehampton.
Evans, who played superbly to reach the third round at Queen’s Club, could not find the same form against Spain’s Daniel Muñoz-De La Nava, losing 6-1, 3-6, 6-2.
Fellow Britons Josh Goodall, Edward Corrie, Lewis Burton and Joshua Ward-Hibbert all also lost but three others – Alex Bogdanovic, Jamie Baker and David Rice – all reached the next round.
Bogdanovic, the British No 5 who was given a wild card for seven years in succession but never won a match at Wimbledon proper, beat Marek Semjan 7-6, 6-3, while Rice saw off Sebastian Rieschick 6-3, 6-2.
Baker, whose win against 17th seed Matteo Viola was the best display of the British men on show, said: “These tournaments are really tough, everybody in here’s ranked a lot higher than I am so every match is tough.”

Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #80
country flag Ace20

Simon made to sweat by sparkling Edmund

Quote:
Teenager Kyle Edmund underlined his status as an exciting player to watch for British tennis with a narrow defeat to world No. 17 Gilles Simon on Wednesday.
Edmund, who will be a wildcard entry into Wimbledon next week, forced Frenchman Simon to work hard for his second round victory at the Aegon International in Eastbourne, eventually losing 7-6(5) 7-6(3).
Simon pushed Roger Federer all the way at Roland Garros earlier in the month, but it was he on the end of a tough examination this time around.
Edmund had a set point at 5-4 in the first set, but could not quite convert as Simon went on to clinch the advantage on a tiebreak.
Edmund responded to that disappointment with an immediate break in the second set - perhaps an illuminating insight into his attitude and approach, something that should stand him in good stead as his career progresses.
The two players went toe-to-toe in the second and another tiebreak always looked on the cards - unfortunately for Edmund, it again went against him, as Simon's greater experience perhaps told at crucial junctures.
Nevertheless, it was an encouraging performance for the 18-year-old, as he prepares to make his debut in the seniors at the All England Club.
http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/s...Lwh1kS3iodS.99

Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #81
country flag Ace20

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=90206

Quote:
Kyle Edmund

EASTBOURNE, ENGLAND

G. SIMON/K. Edmund
7‑6, 7‑6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Despite the defeat, you must be absolutely delighted with your performance again.
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, I was. I played a pretty good match, I thought. I went out there and I played well the other day, so I thought if I just put my game on court like I did on Monday, I would, you know, that would be the best way of giving myself a chance to win.
I did. I served well again, and, you know, he was a completely different player to the guy I played on Monday, so, yeah, it was a different game style I had to play. But, I mean, I put everything out there, and it was really good match. Even though I lost, I was still very pleased with the way I played.

Q. Did it mean a lot more to play that well against a player who is obviously so highly ranked?
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, well, it gives you confidence. He's 16 in the world and I got pretty close, so confidence‑wise, you know, it's massive for me, you know, learning, going up the ranks of tennis. It shows where I can play, and I've just got to use this as a positive.
I mean, I remember two years ago hitting with him at Stoke Park and he beat me 6‑Love in the set, so two years on I got there. Obviously I'm disappointed I lost, but I'm still pleased.

Q. Have you been surprised at all how your game stood up so well against the top guys this week?
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, I mean, I think the good thing is I didn't overplay this week. I just played how I'd normally play. I didn't feel uncomfortable out there, so I think that's a big positive knowing that when I do go out there I don't have to overplay or play special. I just have to play my game. So I will just continue to do that moving forward.

Q. Do you get nervous playing players of that caliber or are you focused on yourself?
KYLE EDMUND: No, today I wasn't that nervous, because I think, you know, sitting around wondering if I get nervous, I don't really play well. At the start it's tough to get going. So when you don't get going and you go down maybe a break or a double break against these players it's no good, so you have to be ready from ball 1.
These guys, you know, they are ready from ball 1. So if you're not, you're going to pay the price.
So after my win on Monday, you know, I was feeling good and stuff, so I wasn't worried about my game, really.

Q. Are you going to begin to fall in love with grass?
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, well, I'm playing well in it, so unfortunately you can't play on grass through the whole year. It's just four weeks.
But, yeah, it's obviously my third year on grass and last year I had a good win. This year I had another good win, another really good performance today. I seem to be adapting well.

Q. You even seemed to have the British sea gulls on your side.
KYLE EDMUND: Oh, yeah.

Q. If you could choose for Wimbledon, would you like Centre Court or just play on an outside court?
KYLE EDMUND: I mean, it's Wimbledon. I'll play on any court. (Smiling.)
If I play on Centre Court it would be amazing, but the chance of getting support on an outside court is just as good, and I mean, I'll be ready to play on anything, but if I get to play on Centre it would be an amazing experience.

Q. Tell me about today briefly. Is losing in two tiebreaks all the same a great performance but all in all a bit frustrating?
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, you could say because I lost in two tiebreaks it is frustrating because I could have won.
Even though I'm looking at positives, I'm not like, Oh, I'm happy I lost. I'm disappointed I lost. I don't think the tiebreaks I played ‑‑I thought the first one was close and I played a pretty good tiebreak.
The second one was a little bit sloppy at times. You know, it was after a long match, and both of us were fatigued, I thought. There were just some really long rallies towards the end, and, yeah, he just came out on top.
He's got the experience, I mean, as well, so he probably knows how to deal with those situations.

Q. How much pressure do you feel at the moment? Because the aura that you give off on court is as someone who is very confident, someone with a much higher ranking.
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, I don't know. It's just ‑‑if, you know, maybe if you act a bit timid, intimidated, you don't really feel you belong there.
You're going to get really ‑‑everyone is watching. I don't think you can act intimidated. You have to act confident, and, you know, even if you don't feel as confident, I think you have to bluff it a bit, because it's two guys playing on a tennis court and everyone is watching.
Maybe when you walk out you realize where you are, but once you get hitting the ball, which I do day in and day out through the whole year, you just become‑‑ it just becomes natural. It's just habit you get into.

Q. The whole experience of the last week or so at Queen's and that first ATP win, how has that been?
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, it's been amazing. Even last week I played well against a good player and I lost. You know, I went back and corrected a few things, got better on the grass, and the win on Monday showed that I was feeling good. And then today as well was another high quality match.
These two tournaments, obviously my first tour events, and I got a taste of what they're like. Hopefully I can play more of them in the future.

Q. Your feelings going into next week must be very exciting.
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, exactly. He's 16 seed or he's 16 in the world, so, you know, if I get drawn against him it would be a tough draw, and I got close against him, so it shows that if I do get a tough draw I can compete with them and have a chance of winning.
But whoever I get, I mean, it's obviously going to be a tough match, because I'm 440 in the world, and they're obviously, what, top 100, most of them. It's going to be a tough match. I know I'm going to have to put my game out there on court like I did these last three matches here.

Q. Where do you think you can go from here? Obviously Andy Murray is not going to last forever. You're sort of a young prospect, and people look at you to sort of be the next sort of Grand Slam winner, as well.
KYLE EDMUND: How do I feel about that?

Q. Yeah. Obviously you've got big shoes to fill when Andy Murray retires.
KYLE EDMUND: Well, I remember saying on Monday, you know, he obviously won the Grand Slam for the first time in 76 years, so he's taken a big pressure off us. He's done well for us.
But obviously someone has to fill it when he retires. It might be me; might be someone else. I'm not really thinking about that right now, because I'm nowhere near that level at the moment in terms of my ranking. And until I get there, then, you know, it might be a pressure but I don't see it as a pressure. It's just if you go on court and perform, then it's going to take care of itself.

Q. There are probably a lot of people now who know you who didn't know you a few weeks ago because of your results and leading up to Wimbledon. Are you ready for that level of interest and expectations? It's a big change for you in such a short period of time.
KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, I'm not going to change anything because people know me. I'm still going to stick to my routines and practice hard, play my matches as long as I can.
I don't think too much is going to change. There might be a bit more media interest and stuff, but that's all part of the job.
Your dream is to become top of the game in tennis, and that is part of the dream. So that's what you signed up for, so I just ‑‑you just deal with it, I think, to be honest with you.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #82
country flag Ace20

Wimbledon Draw

Nicolas Almagro [15] - Jurgen Zopp
Marinko Matosevic - Guillaume Rufin
Radek Stepanek - Matt Reid
Jerzy Janowicz [24] - Kyle Edmund [WC]
Fabio Fognini [30] - Jurgen Melzer
Julian Reister [Q] - Lukas Rosol
Rogerio Dutra Silva - Sergiy Stakhovsky
Roger Federer [3] - Victor Hanescu

Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #83
country flag Ace20

Quote:
From winning the French Open boys’ doubles title to claiming his first ATP win at Eastbourne and now getting set for his first Grand Slam match at Wimbledon, it has been quite a couple of weeks for Kyle Edmund.

It is apt reward for the British 18-year-old after the miles he has racked up on the Futures circuit since last October. Edmund has purely played on clay in Croatia, Spain and the USA, building the foundations for a career which, judging by recent evidence, could be a prosperous one.

“We could have played a little bit on the hard, but we try to avoid indoors as much as possible,” said Edmund. “You look at the tour – you’ve got probably Paris and the O2 and a couple of others that are indoors.

“Throughout the year it’s all outdoors. That’s where tennis is at and that’s what we’ve been focusing on. England is mostly indoors because of the weather. That’s why we’ve stayed away.”

It is a sensible choice from a young player who has impressed with the maturity he has displayed in recent weeks. Life on the tour at such a young age deprives a person of the regular life of a teenager, but Edmund, much like his compatriot Andy Murray, is not too bothered about missing out on boozy nights out.

“I avoid all stuff like that because there’s just no point,” said Edmund. “It might be fun for maybe 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or even if you go out for a night, it’s fun. But the day after you’re like: ‘urggh.’ In the long term, for me personally, I just avoid that stuff.”

Such an attitude has clearly helped in recent weeks as Edmund has looked at ease amongst the big boys. He ran Grega Zemlja close in his ATP debut at Queen’s and after beating Kenny De Schepper in straight sets in the first round in Eastbourne, which will see him jump around 60 places from his current ranking of No.442, he took world No.17 Gilles Simon to two tie-break sets.

But it will be another test altogether when wild card Edmund steps onto court for his first senior match at the All England Club on Monday to face big-hitting Jerzy Janowicz, the 24th seed. It was a challenge which Murray, then aged 18, met in 2005 when he beat George Bastl to progress to a second-round match with Radek Stepanek, who Edmund coincidentally could meet if he upsets Janowicz.

Playing at Wimbledon won’t be a new experience for Edmund, who has played in the Junior events before, but it will still be a special one. “I remember going there the first time and feeling a bit shell-shocked, taking everything in,” said Edmund. “It’s nice that I’ve played some matches there. You remember every match you play there, it’s such a great feeling.”

When Edmund was at school, he was often late due to this tennis training. This week, he received a tweet from an old classmate which read: “All those assemblies missed are starting to pay off now.” Quite.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #84
country flag Ace20

lost the first set 6-2

Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #85
country flag Ace20

Jerzy Janowicz def Kyle Edmund 6-2 6-2 6-4

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #86
country flag Ace20

sad that he lost the first round wish he could gotten a better draw

Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #87
country flag Ace20

Kyle Interview

Quote:
Q. What did you think of your first experience of the All England main draw?

KYLE EDMUND: It was a tough experience. It was very tough out there to get much rhythm, sort of ease into the tournament. He's such a big player, hits the ball really hard. And if you're not on it 100%, it's very tough.

I still played okay, I thought. ut at that level, I think I need to play better to win.

But, yeah, I mean, I don't think anyone wants to draw him first round 'cause he's such a dangering guy, if you want to put it that way.

Yeah, in terms of all the support and stuff, it was great to play on that court. My first Wimbledon, I couldn't ask for anything more. It's a day I'll never forget to play my first Wimbledon here. So it was a really good experience.

Q. I know you practiced with some of the world's top players. Have you ever consistently suffered power coming across the net so consistently?

KYLE EDMUND: No, not to that extent in that sort of power. You know, he's so powerful. He's a big guy. His serve, if you got back, then his forehand, his backhand was coming over hard. You always knew you were going to have to run and get the ball back as much as possible. Then when you do have time to get on the ball, you have to take advantage of that, because you don't get time often.

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a tough match. Yeah, I wish maybe I could have played a little bit better. But, you know, it is tough. It was a different kind of match to the Simon match I played where he doesn't hit the balls hard and he makes more balls, maybe not as many errors. But today he played some big tennis.

Q. There was a spell where it got away from you, but in the final set you made him serve it out, saved those match points? You could have just folded.

KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, I think so. I mean, yeah, I don't think I was going to fold. I was going to keep fighting. My mindset was to get as many games as possible, to be honest.

Each point, I was just facing one point, not trying to come back. I was just facing one point in each game. So, yeah, it was a tough day. I'm disappointed I lost, but I can't lose sight of the long term goal.

These three weeks, how invaluable they are for me. I feel I've improved actually in these threes weeks, playing some of the top players in the world. So, yeah, I can't lose sight of that. You know, it's not over. I'm still in the doubles and I'm still playing the juniors next week. So there's still lots of tennis to come.

Q. In terms of what you have to develop, what has the last three weeks taught you?

KYLE EDMUND: Just to bring it every day, to be honest. You know, there's no let up. These guys, you know, they keep going. They're relentless the way they hit, especially today, Janowicz. You know, it's different. You know, in juniors, you do get some games where they give it to you or you give it to them sometimes. So, you know, you need to avoid giving them as many games as possible and they don't give you anything.

So I think that's the main thing. But, yeah, these three weeks, every match I thought I've come off feeling pretty good how I played. Today's probably the first time I've come off like really disappointed.

But having had a bit of time to reflect, I played okay. I mean, the scoreline shows I got beat pretty comfortably. But, you know, I had a few breakpoint chances. You know, some of the stats, I served pretty well but wasn't effective enough.

And my second serve he was getting on top of. There are areas which I need to improve on. If there wasn't areas to improve on, there would be something wrong. I'm pleased I can take something away from it and improve on it.

Q. What is the experience like, the first morning of your first Wimbledon? Are there extra nerves just walking in the place? Does it make you feel 10 feet tall?

KYLE EDMUND: I was pretty nervous this morning, actually, which I didn't think I was going to be 'cause I wasn't nervous going into my other matches. But today I was quite nervous.

Q. A good nervous probably.

KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, exactly. It's good to be nervous. Yeah, this morning I woke up, did all my normal routines and stuff. But, yeah, it was just something, coming here, it's obviously a bit different.

So hopefully I can get used to that as much as possible. But, yeah, to be playing my first Wimbledon at 18 years old, it was a great feeling. So, yeah, I'll never forget it.

Q. Greg Rusedski, has he helped you with the mental side of things, as well, with the pressure of the big stage?

KYLE EDMUND: Well, working with Greg is great because he's been there. He knows where it's sort of at. So he has helped me with those sort of things.

I don't work with Greg all the time. Colin Beecher is my first coach. He's there every day. I contact him every day. Greg's there just to give some advice and help me in some certain areas.

I like to have that variation where you do get a different ... you know, sometimes when you're working with someone that is very intense, then someone that just comes in and has an opinion on things can help because they're looking from the outside.

So he just helps. You know, to be able to have someone like Greg Rusedski helping you is very fortunate for me. So everything he says I take on board. Yeah, he said to me, I didn't play my first Wimbledon until I was 20. He remembers he was very nervous.

So he said to me, you know, to come out here and put in a performance like that, be proud of yourself. He knew I was disappointed, but he said, You didn't play badly; you played well. The scoreline doesn't really reflect the match.

He's very positive. You know, I'm thankful for that, that he's willing to help me.

Q. Greg has been saying good things about you, as well as Andy and Tim. How important is that to you, those words?

KYLE EDMUND: Yeah, it's all positive. These guys, they're not going to say it for the sake of saying it. So everything they do say, I take on board. When they are positive, it's great.

If I'm getting something wrong, they tell me. That's the best thing, that they don't cover up cracks and stuff, cover over. They address it. I think that's why it is a healthy relationship.

So, yeah, Greg helping me, all the team from the LTA, they're very supportive. Over these few weeks, they've been great. Throughout the whole year, in fact. I can't ask for anything much more.

Q. What are your goals for the remainder of the year in terms of ranking? Have you set targets for that?

KYLE EDMUND: No, I don't set ranking targets. I feel if I'm a good enough player to get the ranking, I'll get there because you're good enough.

But my goals are to continue to improve my ATP ranking, which it is. So I've got to keep heading in the right direction. In terms of juniors, I'm only going to play Wimbledon and US Open. So two junior events. Then a lot on the futures/challenger tours. Yeah, mostly ATP.

Q. If you look at the average age for the men's tour, it seems to have gone up over the last two years. Younger players are finding it harder to break in. What would you put that down to?

KYLE EDMUND: Well, I don't think younger players are fully developed, firstly. The guy today, he's a big guy. I'm still growing. And I think, you know, he's stronger than me as well. I think that's one side of it.

But also these guys, as they get older, they get more experience. I think they're able to cope with different situations and pressures better than younger guys at the minute.

You know, say, like they've been around more, longer. They just do certain things in situations maybe a few percent better. It's not much, but they do it better, and I think that's the main thing.

You know, each area they might serve big in tight situations, which gets them out of trouble, or they come up with good shots. Like today he came up with some really good shots. He was the better player today, so he deserved to win.

You know, it's tough for me to say other players, but the players I played, you can see why they are where they are at. Simon last week is such a good fighter, didn't give me anything. And today Janowicz played a big game, so you see why they do get some success.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #88
country flag Ace20

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...t-8671584.html

Quote:
Kyle Edmund was given a real schooling on his Wimbledon debut as giant Pole Jerzy Janowicz cruised through to the second round with an accomplished display against the young Briton.

Follow game-by-game coverage of Andy Murray's first match of Wimbledon 2013 against Benjamin Becker

After watching Elena Baltacha crash out with a disappointing performance against Flavia Pennetta, the Court Three crowd saw 18-year-old Edmund exit the tournament 6-2 6-2 6-4.

However the Yorkshireman showed guts and brute force to suggest that he has the potential to live up to the hype around him.

Janowicz, ranked 363 places ahead of Edmund, played some excellent tennis and his fierce serve and forehand give him the necessary tools to go far in this tournament.

Edmund showed no sign of nerves early on, firing an ace down to win his first point. He then engineered a break point in the second game, but was unable to take it when 6ft 8in Janowicz powered home a forehand winner.

That proved to be a wake-up call for the Pole, who started to play his A game. Janowicz reeled off a number of powerful ground strokes to break in the fifth and the seventh games before wrapping up the first set after just 24 minutes.

Edmund saved four early break points in the second set, but he soon found himself 4-0 down after two breaks from the big Pole, who was by now hitting 135 miles per hour with his serve.

Janowicz got himself into slight trouble towards the end of the second set, gifting Edmund two break points, but the home hope was unable to take advantage.

Janowicz sent Edmund scampering around the court in the first game of the third set, which the Pole won to break.

Edmund, who was born in South Africa but lives in Beverley, saved four match points in the ninth game, but he had no answer to Janowicz's huge serve and eventually succumbed to defeat after one hour and 27 minutes on court.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #89
country flag Ace20

KYLE EDMUND: FOLLOWING IN MURRAY'S FOOTSTEPS

Quote:
Great Britain’s Kyle Edmund has big shoes to fill if he is to follow in the footsteps of Grand Slam champion, Olympic gold medallist and World No. 2 Andy Murray. But the softly spoken, thoughtful and grounded 18 year old is looking to the Scot for inspiration as he attempts to build on a successful junior career and make his way on the ATP World Tour.

The right-hander, who was born in Johannesburg but raised in Yorkshire, has already jumped over 100 places in the Emirates ATP Rankings this season and has the Top 400 in his sights as he prepares to make his Wimbledon debut as a wild card entrant.

Days after winning the boys’ doubles title at Roland Garros, Edmund made his ATP World Tour debut at the Aegon Championships at The Queen’s Club, losing a close match to Grega Zemlja. One week later he took advantage of a wild card into the Aegon International at Eastbourne by bridging a gap of 360 places in the Emirates ATP Rankings to beat Kenny De Schepper in the first round before losing to World No. 17 Gilles Simon in two tie-breaks.

Edmund talked to ATPWorldTour.com in Eastbourne about his continued development, the ‘Murray Effect’ and his ambitions for the future in this Emirates Stars Of Tomorrow feature.

You’re trying to bridge the gap between juniors and seniors at the moment, what are you finding to be the most challenging aspect?
Initially, physically it was tough for me. I was coming from playing guys the same age as me, 17-18, to guys that are a lot stronger. But at the same time, in terms of ball striking, it’s not too different. I think they just do small things one-two per cent better. Maybe their serve percentage is a little bit more, they hit the spots and they defend a bit better. I think if I can sharpen up a few things in each area and get a little bit better, it doesn’t need to be a lot better, I think that will help my game improve.

You played your first ATP World Tour match at Queen’s and won your first one at Eastbourne. How does it feel when you step onto court at these events? Do you feel intimidated, or do you feel like you belong?
I don’t think the players are too intimidating, maybe the stage is. I don’t really play on courts as big as that. When I’m playing futures and junior events, it’s normally outside courts. I thought I dealt well with it and the crowd was nice – obviously being British they support you. I was a little bit nervous, which I think is normal, but I quickly just focussed on my game and tried to put my game out on court and that helped.

You’ve moved up more than 100 places in the Emirates ATP Rankings this year and won a Futures tournament. What improvements have you made to your game this year?
I did a big fitness block at the end of last year, pre-season, and I went to America at the start of the year, where I played 16 matches in four weeks. It was quite a lot and I think that really helped me. In the way I’m hitting the ball, there hasn’t been a big change, just little bits that have helped me. Certainly the last week at Queen’s and this week, playing with these guys, have given me confidence that I can hit with them and play against them. Whatever the results are, it’s going to be three-four good weeks for experience and learning. That’s the most important thing.

What do you feel your strengths are as a tennis player?
If you look at shots, I like to hit my forehand. I’ll run around my backhand to hit the forehand. I just find it easier to hit and I’m able to get some good spin on the ball to get kick off the court. I try to use my serve as much as possible to get cheap points on the grass. I try not to get frustrated, because it doesn’t help me. If I stay calm, it helps my game. I’m always in the present, which is where you want to be, not in the past.

Andy Murray has been Great Britain’s best player for many years. Do you look at him as inspiration, or do you feel pressure that there will be expectation to match his achievements?
I see him as an inspiration. Obviously, him winning a Grand Slam at the end of the year took a lot of pressure off everyone. There’s one less thing for us to do almost. He’s had a lot of pressure put on him because he’s been the only guy there. To look at him and see what he’s doing can only be an inspiration.

I’ve hit with him a couple of times. He hasn’t really given me advice. But his fitness trainers are also my fitness trainers – Matt Little and Johan De Beer. They’re always liaising and they know how tough it is at the top of the game. We’re always prioritising fitness, sometimes even over tennis because that’s where the game’s going at the minute. When Andy was my age, he wasn’t as big. When he was at Wimbledon in 2005 he was cramping, so he really bought into it. I think, by him buying into it, it’s made a massive difference for his confidence on court. I want to keep going with my fitness as well, but also keep learning on the tennis side of it.

What would you like to achieve in tennis?
You’ve always got ambitions like winning a Grand Slam and winning the Davis Cup for Britain. Those are my childhood dreams. But at the minute, you just have to go one step at a time. This summer is a great learning curve for me. I don’t set myself goals. If you’re good enough to be at a particular ranking, say No. 100, you’ll get there because you’re good enough. The results will come if your game is good enough. The aim is to continue to develop my game and always think long term. As long as my game keeps improving I’ll be happy.

Last edited by Ace20 : 06-28-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #90
country flag Ace20

Junior Wimbledon Main Draw

Kyle EDMUND (GBR) [5] vs Young Seok KIM (KOR)
Qualifier/LL vs Yoshihito NISHIOKA (JPN)
Qualifier/LL vs Maxime JANVIER (FRA)
Mazen OSAMA (EGY) vs Pedro CACHIN (ARG) [11]