Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are western lives presented as more valuable in world media?

Yes, sadly I think so 26 76.47%
No, I dont believe this 5 14.71%
Im undecided on this issue 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
sadly, yes. especially if you're white. western media will do anything to protect the lives of white people.
The media protects lives? And only white people? WOW. Good to know. If I get in trouble I won't call 911 for help, I'll call Wolf Blitzer.

Or are you just campaigning? If so give it a rest, you are already seeded high.
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
The media protects lives? And only white people? WOW. Good to know. If I get in trouble I won't call 911 for help, I'll call Wolf Blitzer.

Or are you just campaigning? If so give it a rest, you are already seeded high.
of course they do. the media has the mission to portray reality but what we often see is that it creates realities by excessive coverage of isolated incidents, by delegitimation of social movements, by distortion of facts and also by exposing flat out lies.

the more coverage something receives, the more chances are that the favoured end will be protected by the government. that's how it is and that's how it will keep going on.

As for the ACC, make of it what you want. I've been saying the same things since the moment i got here, a time in which the ACC wasn't a popularity contest, mind you.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #18
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what you are talking about, but if the media protects lives, then I am all in favour of that.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #19
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
what we often see is that it creates realities by excessive coverage of isolated incidents, .
Yes, I think you said that the media should not be giving time to things like honour killings in the Muslim world. You think that anything that makes someone other than the West look bad should not be aired. Which really means you want the media to be biased - but on your terms.

BTW, the trial in Canada of an Afghan immigrant, his wife and his son for murdering his three daughters and his other wife has finally ended. All three were put away for life. The daughters spoke to boys at school, so had to be put down like rats. The older wife was just thrown in the lake as well, why not, she was a little long in the tooth. I remember during the trial you argued that this would be typical of the western media, to report stuff like this.

But you are right in a way, in the Middle East, this would be non-news.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Yes, I think you said that the media should not be giving time to things like honour killings in the Muslim world. You think that anything that makes someone other than the West look bad should not be aired. Which really means you want the media to be biased - but on your terms.
uhh, no. the point is that the mass western media deliberately picks stories like that in order to make the other side look bad.

btw, here's an interesting article of the partiality of the BBC when reporting the israeli palestinian conflict:

Quote:
In 2006, an independent panel of senior public figures published a report assessing the impartiality of the BBC’s coverage of the “Israeli-Palestinian conflict.”

The panel, chaired by Sir Quentin Thomas, a senior figure in the British Home Office, found “identifiable shortcomings, particularly in respect of gaps in coverage, analysis, context and perspective and in the consistent maintenance of the BBC’s own editorial standards.”

The Thomas Report, as it became known, was quickly shoved under the carpet by the BBC, even though it had originally been commissioned by the corporation’s own governors, and business continued as usual (“Report of the Independent Panel for the BBC Governors on Impartiality of BBC Coverage of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict,” April 2006, available on the Internet Archive).

In the last few days, the shortcomings highlighted in the report have never seemed so glaring.

keep reading here: http://electronicintifada.net/conten...ts-truth/11894
and of course, the BBC is just one major news outlet that misrepresents reality to favour special interests. Examples are many. Owners few.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #21
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps in light of todays bombings discussion on this issue of media coverage could continue in this thread out of respect for the Boston victims.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
country flag abraxas21

good bump.

3 westerners die in boston and everyone is acting as if the world is gonna end. at least there's no bush around or another middle eastern nation would be invaded
Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
good bump.

3 westerners die in boston and everyone is acting as if the world is gonna end. at least there's no bush around or another middle eastern nation would be invaded
I remember how I and so many in my country and people around the world hung for days and weeks in breathless concern and suspense when Chileans and Bolivians were trapped deep in a mine and cried tears of joy when they were rescued. Their lives were important to me and to my countrymen,.

I also know that there have been recent mine disasters in this country that you never knew or cared about, Does that make the lives of the Chilean miners more important? No, of course not. It is simply the circumstance that causes the publicity, Just as you or most anybody doesn't know about the two people found dead here in the park or the man thrown in the river. It doesn't make their lives less important.

I think you know this already. But this is an occasion where you can give vent to your feelings and you use it for those purposes. I'm not surprised anymore than I'm surprised to learn that there were expressions of glee and mirth posted on MTF after learning that people had been killed and permanently maimed in the U.S.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Fact is media is about What people want to hear/read/watch. What is so hard to understand about that? Some examples were given here, like the Myanmar disaster, well truth is a lot of people living in Europe, the US and the so called "western countries" don't even know Myanmar is a country! Is the ignorance sad to witness? Yes, but there is no way around it.

Does the media think westerners lives are more valuable? Of course not! Believing that takes even greater ignorance...
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

[IRONY]
I think this is getting more coverage than Breivik. There are school shootings with many more victims that get less coverage. The Western media is biased against Western media.
[/IRONY]

Seriously now, the minute the press will be safe in countries like Iraq, Angola, Syria or Afghanistan, they will account for the atrocities that are surely taking place there. The impact of events is always greater in places where people think it's safe. If tomorrow morning, Notre Dame of Paris is bombed, it would count more than Afghanistan. Yes, of course it's unfair, but that's the way our "modern" society works. Never to build, always to destroy, no matter who we talk about as "The Destroyer". When people start dying in safe places, people always wonder "Where is safe? Where can we live in peace?"
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

"I wish that people who are conventionally supposed to love each other would say to each other, when they fight, "Please — a little less love, and a little more common decency."
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Seriously now, the minute the press will be safe in countries like Iraq, Angola, Syria or Afghanistan, they will account for the atrocities that are surely taking place there.
I don't think it's got to do with safety in those countries.
If you look for it, you can find good news reports from those "unsafe" countries. Those news reports are there, they just don't get as much attention.

I think it's more habit and what people get used to seeing. People are used to hearing about Afghanistan, Syria, etc. So, the impact of such news items is not as big as the impact of 2 explosions during a marathon which isn't exactly an expected event, unlike attacks in Syria for example.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
I think it's more habit and what people get used to seeing. People are used to hearing about Afghanistan, Syria, etc. So, the impact of such news items are not as big as the impact of 2 explosions during a marathon in a "safe" area in the world.
I think it's more related to what I said in the second part of my post, which you didn't quote. It's the impact of "acts of terrorism in places deemed safe" that gets the maximum attention.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
I think it's more related to what I said in the second part of my post, which you didn't quote. It's the impact of "acts of terrorism in places deemed safe" that gets the maximum attention.
It's not totally the case either IMO.

I mean, take 9/11 and then think about the terrorist attacks in Madrid and in London. Two safe areas when it happened. I wonder how many people could place a date on the attacks in Madrid and London without cheating (looking it up). 9/11 got the brunt of the attention in news reports, documentaries, movies,... (and still does).

Last edited by Castafiore : 04-16-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
I mean, take 9/11 and then think about the terrorist attacks in Madrid and in London. Two safe areas. I wonder how many people could place a date on the attacks in Madrid and London without cheating (looking it up). 9/11 got the brunt of the attention in news reports, documentaries, movies,...
It's on a totally different scale. 9/11 caused so many victims compared to Madrid and London. There is no terrorist attack with the impact 9/11 had. Check the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rorist_attacks