Discovering Ernests... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
country flag Sheila

Sheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Discovering Ernests...

I was just thinking earlier that it's nearly a year now since I started following his game

I'm interested to know when, where and how did you discover Ernests? I know a few of you have pretty much been dedicated fans since he started his career..... I hate to think about all the years I've missed!

(Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic - I had a quick scan but couldn't see one.....)

So I first saw him when I watched him play Federer in Rome last year.

I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of him before but I remember there were a lot of people in the crowd shouting out when he was trying to serve - I felt a bit sorry for him and found myself willing him to win because of that - which he did, as we all know

He then went on to play Nadal and I knew I was hooked when I wanted Rafa to lose (I had never backed any of Rafa's opponents up until this time)

I liked Ernests' playing style and carefree attitude and I was struck by how beautiful he was - I still am.

Sadly, I don't always have the free time to make it on to the forum to post or even to follow his matches as they happen live, but over the last year he has had me hooked whether he is winning or losing.

Ernests has become very important to me, more than he will ever know
Sheila is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
country flag Stelle

Stelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discovering Ernests...

Nice thread

I first discovered him in Brisbane when he played and beat Djokovic in 2009. No one was going for him, and as I always back the underdog I was rooting for him! After that, I was as you said 'hooked'. I searched him around the internet and discovered he is cooler than I thought he originally was! I too, don't have much time now that I am in the senior school of my high school so my main focus is school. But my guilty pleasure is instead of studying I watch his matches or just sit on the forums and watch youtube videos He is my favourite player and always will be, I stuck it out when he had the worst year in 09 and it paid off, lets hope he can bounce back from these losses. Don't forget he wasn't with Hernan these past few weeks!

Dinara Safina ~ Sorana Cirstea ~ Marin Cilic ~ Sabine Lisiki~ Philipp Kohlshrieber ~ Gilles Simon ~ Ryan Harrison ~ Gisela Dulko ~ Fernando Verdasco ~
Stelle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
country flag Sheila

Sheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond reputeSheila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelle View Post
Nice thread
Thank you Stelle

I hope it won't be long until we see him beating the likes of Djokovic and Federer again....
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned it a few times around the Forum,but since I dont ever get bored of repeating it I'll do it again here

My introduction to Ernests was a very fortunate one. I'll explain. The day before I first saw him on TV in St Petersburg 2006,Mary Pierce had had a terrible accident in Linz,rupturing her anterior cruciate ligament,I watched it happen on TV,I felt sick for her and went to bed feeling I wouldn't watch tennis again maybe for the rest of the week.

However,I decided to tune in to the mens event scheduled the next day,and Ernests was first on. I'll never forget that he had to go back to the locker room because he had to cover a sponsors logo with a patch on his shorts. It took him a while to come back onto court,but then he was grinning all over his face.

I was struck straightaway by his natural service action(playing against Czech Jan Hernych who the commentator remarked looked a rather manufactured tennis player compared to Ernests). I noticed how he was an all-court player and he had such flair in his shot making even then. Then came the disputes with the Umpires,at crucial times,nothing too bad,but he was always keen to make his point and show his emotions!!

I thought he was a nice kid to look at right from the time I clapped eyes on him!

I didnt hear much of him until Roland Garros 2007,I found myself pulling for him to beat Tim Henman at RG. He was pretty good that day,serving well,using drop-shots,he had too much power for Henman that day! From then on I followed his matches on Tour religiously,as he qualified for tournaments and was delighted he made an impact at the US Open,and succeeded so well in Challengers that year,winning 3!! He was the main reason for me joining MTF,because I wanted more info,more pictures,and to see how many fans felt the same way as me about him.

I will follow him until he hangs up his rackets,he is so intriguing,does things his way,says what he thinks,there is never a dull moment with him,he can still make the highest echelons of this game. I believe he will mature in the next 2-3 years and be a complete player who will achieve a lot of success,and take more titles! He'll always be No 1 for me

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
country flag Sheila

Quote:
Originally Posted by but-it's-ok View Post
he is so intriguing,does things his way,says what he thinks,there is never a dull moment with him,
Agree

Thanks Di, I knew you had been following him from the early years but hadn't heard how you came across him

I think to be a true fan you have to stick with it through the highs and lows.... as frustrating as it can be sometimes.