Chevron refuses to pay due compensations for contaminating the Amazon in Ecuador - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 AM   #16
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chevron refuses to pay due compensations for contaminating the Amazon in Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
the main accusation towards chevron over this isn't the environmental damage per se but the damage caused to the peoples who lived around the contaminated areas. thousands of indigenous peoples have been affected either by an increase in cancer rates, birth defects, sickened farm animals crucial for their survival, displacement, etc.

to compare that with what happens in a rich country like canada (which i agree is bad too) is just silly.
Silly? You don't think it also has an impact on human lives in Canada?

Not everyone in Canada is rich, and our own native people do see impact on their health.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Alberta-Oil-Sands-Nightmare
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chevron refuses to pay due compensations for contaminating the Amazon in Ecuador

no doubt it is bad but i dont see the need to make a pissing contest over this...

and glenn was right, what happened in ecuador wouldn't have happened in the same scale in a first world country like canada. or if it would have happened, chevron wouldn't have gotten away with it without paying some serious compensations. i don't think you're fully grasping how bad this was. it is one of the biggest spills of oil toxic waste in the history of oil companies, some experts even say it's the biggest. flora and fauna have died, children have died, cancer and birth defects are rampant now. yet, chevron refuses to pay.

the fact that chevron fought for years to move the case from america to ecuador tells how much they respect the third world. they knew they would be able to refuse payments if the ecuadorean justice convicted them (as it happened), something they would have found a lot harder to do in an american court.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately some of our governments sell themselves off and give our riches to multinational companies that are only interested in making a profit. Of course they couldn't care less about the environment and/or the people of Latin America. Not only these companies receive permission to act pretty much however they want, but they also end up with very beneficial contracts.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no doubt it is bad but i dont see the need to make a pissing contest over this...

and glenn was right, what happened in ecuador wouldn't have happened in the same scale in a first world country like canada. or if it would have happened, chevron wouldn't have gotten away with it without paying some serious compensations. i don't think you're fully grasping how bad this was. it is one of the biggest spills of oil toxic waste in the history of oil companies, some experts even say it's the biggest. flora and fauna have died, children have died, cancer and birth defects are rampant now. yet, chevron refuses to pay.

the fact that chevron fought for years to move the case from america to ecuador tells how much they respect the third world. they knew they would be able to refuse payments if the ecuadorean justice convicted them (as it happened), something they would have found a lot harder to do in an american court.
No pissing contest here, just pointing out that rich countries are not immune to these issues. Canada's First Nations have always been shortchanged, their living conditions are atrocious to begin with, and the communities living downstream of these oil sand exploitation sites are also dealing with health and environmental issues. And the Albertan government enjoying huge oil revenues for the moment, is turning a blind eye on a lot of things...

I was not debating that what happened in Ecuador is terrible.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #20
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly can't think of anything like this happening in Sweden! We have very lovely environment!
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #21
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

They should pay as soon as we get compensation for what South American cocaine has done to not only the cities, but the people in US. Be fair about it. It's the same idiotic principle.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #22
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
They should pay as soon as we get compensation for what South American cocaine has done to not only the cities, but the people in US. Be fair about it. It's the same idiotic principle.
oh, dear... the worst part is that you're serious.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 AM   #23
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
No pissing contest here, just pointing out that rich countries are not immune to these issues. Canada's First Nations have always been shortchanged, their living conditions are atrocious to begin with, and the communities living downstream of these oil sand exploitation sites are also dealing with health and environmental issues. And the Albertan government enjoying huge oil revenues for the moment, is turning a blind eye on a lot of things...

I was not debating that what happened in Ecuador is terrible.
ok. i see your point.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #24
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Depends what you mean by fair...

You seem to be using it in a "Fair & Balanced" foxnewsy kind of a way.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:35 AM   #25
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Unfortunately some of our governments sell themselves off and give our riches to multinational companies that are only interested in making a profit. Of course they couldn't care less about the environment and/or the people of Latin America. Not only these companies receive permission to act pretty much however they want, but they also end up with very beneficial contracts.
very true.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #26
country flag abraxas21

update

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16404268
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Petroleum engineering in my field of work and believe me the things are much worse than is presenting in public and common people know about it but there is no point in such appeals, sadly
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #28
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

like chevron is gonna pay $18 bn...

all it takes is one corrupt judge (supposedly they grow on trees in ecuador), a bag of cash and whooops! here comes the acquittal.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #29
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

With the cancer many will die. Chevron probably knew this but will continue on because no ones stopping them.
And because the deaths take time laws don't see it as killing, like they would an explosion.
It is the same but only delayed, no one will be brought to trial for the killings.

There are many life systems there that could turn out to be valuable, varieties of life substances that have beneficial uses for mankind in making of drugs that treat disease, new varieties are found all the time and each of them has potential use.

This destruction is mindless and with no consideration of life on any level.

As more of this happens we will get used to it, ignore it and forget about it though many will die, that's the real tragedy.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #30
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it's the fault of the gvts as well who allow these bastards in.

big companies like chevron have 0 respect for human rights, much less the environment. they'd contaminate the entire country if they thought they could make a profit from it. absolute scum.
Don't blame them. Blame the backward South American economies and political corruption, which allow this in the first place. If South America wasn't 3rd world, maybe they wouldn't have to suffer the "imperialist invasion" and sell themselves out time and time again.

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote