Federer's fortune is worth $210-$315 million USD - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #76
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's fortune is worth $210-$315 million USD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasi View Post
Finally, the premise of complaining about tennis players' earnings implies that sport serves no important societal purpose; yet, athletic contests have been a part of our culture throughout recorded history. The persistence of these contests seems to indicate a crucial role; perhaps they channel instincts that would otherwise be wasted in costly, bloody wars
While I agree that it should be the market that decides how much people get paid, it's clearly a massive stretch to say that people will go all caveman and go on kill sprees if they aren't handed 4,200 to 6,300 times the average annual salary of a well developed country.

Quote:
or perhaps they provide inspiration and vocation for those who lack the intellect needed for academic success.
Inspiration yes, vocation no. There are plenty of jobs out there which don't require intellect or athletic ability.

Edit: That's actually why I have a lot more respect for a guy like Ferrer than some of the prissy rich boys who haven't ever lifted anything heavier than tennis racquet.

Last edited by Benny_Maths : 08-29-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #77
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Hollywood actors make 1/3 of this in a single year.

Johnny Depp makes something like $20-40m per film--$20m minimum for a small role! and made $70m last year, and Leo DiCaprio made $77m total. It took Fed over ten years to make $200-$300m, these guys easily make that much in three or four, and for a relatively easier career. Certainly they aren't spending almost an entire year trying to stay healthy and fit while playing a very demanding (physically, mentally and emotionally) sport the way tennis players do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #78
country flag Nasi

Nasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond reputeNasi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Maths View Post
While I agree that it should be the market that decides how much people get paid, it's clearly a massive stretch to say that people will go all caveman and go on kill sprees if they aren't handed 4,200 to 6,300 times the average annual salary of a well developed country.
And it would hardly matter if it was just players who had competitive/aggressive instincts for which sport was an outlet. They'd just be tossed in jail, and that's not what I intended to suggest, anyway. The question is about society, not about individuals... why do we value this profession highly enough that we a) spend our time watching highly trained athletes play, and b) spend our money on products they endorse? (Those two things lead to the highly paid endorsement deals, presumably.) One possibility is that it feeds some primal instinct toward competition/aggression that we'd otherwise channel in more destructive ways. That's not an assertion or a fact; I haven't done any literature searches to see what the research says (although I'm sure some research has been done about this at some point). It's just a possibility.

Quote:
Inspiration yes, vocation no. There are plenty of jobs out there which don't require intellect or athletic ability.

Edit: That's actually why I have a lot more respect for a guy like Ferrer than some of the prissy rich boys who haven't ever lifted anything heavier than tennis racquet.
Of course there are other jobs for those who aren't academically gifted. But this is certainly one of them, and it's one that society values highly enough that it can lead to wealth, for those who are willing to dedicate themselves to the rigors of training.

As Declinerer mentions above, of course, this is only one way that you can make a load of cash without an academic background. Acting is an option as well.
Nasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #79
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasi View Post
The question is about society, not about individuals... why do we value this profession highly enough that we a) spend our time watching highly trained athletes play, and b) spend our money on products they endorse? (Those two things lead to the highly paid endorsement deals, presumably.) One possibility is that it feeds some primal instinct toward competition/aggression that we'd otherwise channel in more destructive ways. That's not an assertion or a fact; I haven't done any literature searches to see what the research says (although I'm sure some research has been done about this at some point). It's just a possibility.
I'm not denying that sports can provide a healthy distraction from things which are detrimental to society. But in absolute terms, the effect is quite minor in that if someone were to have the intention to inflict damage to society, the prevalence of professional sports wouldn't stop them. What concerned me about your post was how you said sports (possibly) "channel instincts that would otherwise be wasted in costly, bloody wars". Taking the rest of your post into account, to me it seemed that you were suggesting that the primary purpose of professional sports is to prevent violence on a global scale. I simply do not agree with this - it is a huge simplification to even imply that sports can prevent global conflict. Wars arise because of a big collective need (not merely desire) for resources, and not because people don't have sports to exert energy.

Quote:
Of course there are other jobs for those who aren't academically gifted. But this is certainly one of them, and it's one that society values highly enough that it can lead to wealth, for those who are willing to dedicate themselves to the rigors of training.
On a fundamental I believe we are in agreement. However, I felt that you over-emphasised the role of sports when it comes to providing society as a whole with inspiration to find a job. The mere need for food, shelter and basic discretionary purchases would be more than enough to motivate the majority of people to get any job they can. Jobs are called 'work' and not 'fun' for a reason. If you're fortunate enough to do what you love for a living then fantastic. But not being able to live out your childhood dream would be a very weak excuse for not having the drive to get a 'normal' job.

Quote:
As Declinerer mentions above, of course, this is only one way that you can make a load of cash without an academic background. Acting is an option as well.
My comments were centred on society as a whole rather than what a handful of people are eligible for.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #80
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
sure, that's just wonderful and gives liberty of choice to everyone, right?
Well, its not perfect, but I do think its better than blowing yourself up and jeehad.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #81
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

1. Swiss is one reason (luxury spiel makes him expensive).
2. Michael Jordan like domination is another (dominating is also correlated with heavy marketing)
3. Being Western European.

Last edited by shiaben : 10-09-2011 at 11:22 PM.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #82
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
1. ...
2. ...
3. Being white should also be another (in other words, even if Nadal, Djokovic, were to surpass his records, they still wouldn't make nearly as much).
if Murray were to surpass his records, he would make twice as much

are you f*cking kidding me?
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #83
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
3. Being white should also be another (in other words, even if Nadal, Djokovic, were to surpass his records, they still wouldn't make nearly as much).
WTF?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #84
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you implying that Nadal and Djokovic aren't white

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #85
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Novak is Black?
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #86
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

I'm implying that racism and prejudice could possibly exist in situations involving athletes and such a situation could easily favor some people over others. My two cents.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #87
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

But why bring Djokovic in the conversation?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #88
country flag shiaben

The Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova situation comes to mind. Serena has more slams, but Sharapova makes more dough.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #89
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

Is it possible to edit the poll about the best black player? Nole would certainly win it.

Should we start a new poll?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #90
country flag shiaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
But why bring Djokovic in the conversation?
For some reason I think regardless of Djokovic's friendly behavior, he won't be as favorable as Federer because he's Eastern European, not Western European.