Sliced shots like a surprise? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
country flag JM-Del-Potro

JM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sliced shots like a surprise?

What I like the most when I play tennis is searching new strategies to win a point, I like working on the tactic and I always try to hit unlikely shots. I use to hit sliced backhand and forehand to win some important points (such as BP or long points) and I try to give it the outside effect, because the opponent goes crazy and has to think where the ball could bounce and he can't make a winner on those balls. Another advantage is that you can play a dropshot and your opponent might think it's just another slice

What do you think about this? Do you usually play this type of shots? Just tell me, I'm curious

Nikolay Davydenko * Mikhail Youzhny * Mario Ancic * Janko Tipsarevic * Andrey Golubev * Amer Delic * JP Brzezicki * Mathieu Montcourt * Ilia Bozoljac * Kei Nishikori * Thiemo De Bakker * Blaz Kavcic * Jerzy Janowicz * Henri Kontinen * Grigor Dimitrov * Tim Smyczek * Marcelo Demoliner * Lars Poerschke * David Goffin * Yuki Bhambri * Marius Copil
JM-Del-Potro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
country flag Caio_Brasil

Caio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sliced shots like a surprise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Del-Potro View Post
What I like the most when I play tennis is searching new strategies to win a point, I like working on the tactic and I always try to hit unlikely shots. I use to hit sliced backhand and forehand to win some important points (such as BP or long points) and I try to give it the outside effect, because the opponent goes crazy and has to think where the ball could bounce and he can't make a winner on those balls. Another advantage is that you can play a dropshot and your opponent might think it's just another slice

What do you think about this? Do you usually play this type of shots? Just tell me, I'm curious
I find using such tactics very interesting and that's why I enjoy watching guys like Mayer, Stepanek and Dolgopolov who can use that kind of variation.

Unfortunatelly I still lack confidence to do this at match play, I can't produce 10% of what I'm capable of when a match starts, which is a bit frustrating.
Caio_Brasil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

JM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever "worked" on your mentality? I was a bit weak with that and then started playing my best more and more..of course, sometimes I play very bad, but I always try to be constant and to win all the points I play...That's my game, I'm not tall, so I've to run, run, run and run! And I love it

P.S. Florian

Nikolay Davydenko * Mikhail Youzhny * Mario Ancic * Janko Tipsarevic * Andrey Golubev * Amer Delic * JP Brzezicki * Mathieu Montcourt * Ilia Bozoljac * Kei Nishikori * Thiemo De Bakker * Blaz Kavcic * Jerzy Janowicz * Henri Kontinen * Grigor Dimitrov * Tim Smyczek * Marcelo Demoliner * Lars Poerschke * David Goffin * Yuki Bhambri * Marius Copil
Old 02-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
country flag Caio_Brasil

Caio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's being mentally weak, it's just that I don't have enough consistency with my game. Starting to play late shows to be a problem because of that. Once I get more consistent this will get better. I also run for all the shots, but sometimes it's just not enough.

But that's ok because it's a big challenge for me to get better when I step into the court.
Caio_Brasil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #5

But also me..I'm not that good! But I enjoy playing

Old 04-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
country flag robert_craig72

robert_craig72 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Del-Potro View Post

I also like the idea of applying different tactics in a game. I'm spending much of my time on practice now though so I can do these types of shots. Sometimes you know what to do but you're not just capable to do it. I hope my tennis lessons will make me a better player soon.
robert_craig72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
country flag pferg

pferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! Change it up on your opponent. I love to keep them running back and forth. It's cruel, but I want to just wear them down!

Join your local tennis ladder for free.
Find new hitting partners.
Challenge yourself to climb the ladder!
pferg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
country flag Tenn1sAdd1ct

Tenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond reputeTenn1sAdd1ct has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's absolutely important to have good forehand slice to mix it up. Court really seems much bigger if you have this shot. Using this shot I feel like I have more angles and more opportunities to hit forehand from good position. Not recommended to use regularly though.
Tenn1sAdd1ct is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
country flag pferg

pferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond repute

What about other players who use slice? Slice can be effective against slice... I just don't like getting into those types of points...

Join your local tennis ladder for free.
Find new hitting partners.
Challenge yourself to climb the ladder!
pferg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote