Estonia's Finest: Jurgen Zopp - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #91
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estonia's Finest (yes better than Kanepi): Jurgen Zopp

Good to see he beat out the stiff competition from his fellow countrymen to take out the award.

He looks more dangerous with the new cut.

Wonder if he's starting the year at Brissy qualies like this season...

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #92
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Uhhh yeah, he said in an interview that he's gonna try 2 ATP tournaments before the AO. So maybe.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #93

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

He is in Brisbane now, qualy draw comes out tomorrow.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #94
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Final qualy round vs Andreev. We'll see.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to the Zopptards!

Last edited by MariaV : 01-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #95
country flag MariaV

Hmmm, lost to Andreev 4:6, 6:2, 5:7, the report says he was up 4-1 in the 3rd set. Not on Igor's level quite yet. Maybe now without Makiri Igor will have a better year too, unless he gets distracted by other females.

Jürgen now on to Sydney.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #96
country flag Jovard

Jovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond repute

He was also up 40-15 4-3* on Igor´s serve in the first set
Jovard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #97
country flag Jovard

Jovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond repute

AO quali draw:

Malek Jaziri TUN (10)
Tim Smyczek USA
Stephane Bohli SUI
Conor Niland IRL

Nick Kyrgios AUS
Mathieu Rodrigues FRA
Uladzimir Ignatik BLR
Jurgen Zopp EST (22)

First 2 should be easy if Jürgen plays well. Jaziri won a set against Tsonga last week.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #98
country flag quasi

quasi is on a distinguished road

Def. Ignatik 2-6 7-5 9-7; apparently from being 2-6 2-4* down in the 2nd set and 2-5* down in the final set, saving MP-s in both sets (5 altogether)
Plays Mathieu Rodrigues in R2
Jaziri lost to Smyczek

Last edited by quasi : 01-12-2012 at 12:31 PM.
quasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #99
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy match, good win.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #100

Went to qualies and saw the match today, it was high quality stuff. Here's the summary that is in GM:

Jurgen Zopp Vs Uladzimir Ignatik

Was looking forward to witnessing this encounter from the moment I laid my eyes upon the draw. It had tremendous potential with the Belorussian Ignatik possessing all of the shots combined with being a headcase, and the Estonian Zopp who fights for every point and never gives up. Also some cracking surnames from both here as well. And the match certainly lived up to my lofty expectations. Ignatik was on fire for a set and a half, combining lethal serving with miraculous shotmaking. There was nothing Zopp could do, Ignatik simply refused to make an unforced error and was serving out of a tree. Didn't help that the Estonian was having a poor serving day at this point in time. Ignatik takes the opener 6-2 and opens up a 4-2 lead in the second before the light drizzle that had been falling since the commencement of the match turned into something heavier. Play was suspended for about an hour and it was exactly what Zopp needed to clear his head and devise a game plan to combat Ignatik's baseline domination.

The break didn't seem to bother Ignatik however, with the Belorussian easily holding serve again to go ahead 5-2. Zopp held easily and it was time for Ignatik to serve out the match. Up to this point Ignatik had barely made an unforced error but when you're serving for the match that all changes, even for the better players. He threw in a double fault and dumped a backhand into the net before he found his game again to hit some more winners to go up 40-30 and match point. Zopp saved the first match point after a long extended rally before hitting a courageous off forehand where Ignatik could barely get his racquet onto the ball. Back to deuce and Ignatik serves another bomb. 2nd match point. Another long rally before Ignatik hits a backhand long. Two more draining rallies and Zopp wins both of them to break back and get back on serve. Ignatik is pissed but there is more to come. Zopp holds again, but not without a fight with the game going to several deuces and the Estonian saving a third match point. He holds and then breaks Ignatik for the second consecutive time. He proceeds to serve out the set to 15. Ignatik is going nuts at this point, smashing his racquet on the chair and throwing his towel out of the court. Swearing to himself he buries his head in his towel then decides to take a comfort break just as they wer about to go back on. This is the thing with Ignatik, he has all the shots and was an excellent junior but he is a massive headcase and mentally he is not up to the week in week out grinds of the main tour.

He finally returns to the court and is looking calm and relaxed. Ignatik is back to making no errors and serving bombs. He puts more pressure on Zopp's service games and eventually breaks and holds his own serve until 5-3 again and once more he's serving for the match. And once more his game breaks down combined with Zopp fighting hard and not missing on the important points. Zopp saves another match point with some lucky netcords and shanks during a 30 shot rally. It goes to deuce again and Ignatik has another chance but Zopp refuses to miss and Ignatik makes the error. Zopp proceeds to break and Ignatik completely loses it. He throws his racquet at the fence and gives us the finger. I had planted myself down with about 10 rowdy Estonians and we were cheering loudly for Zopp to make it through. At the change of ends Ignatik is clearly getting coached, they were not even bothering to hide it and he receives a warning. Ignatik then got angry over the limited powerade flavours that were available. Deadset, the guys a complete nutter. But he somehow got himself composed to go ahead 30-40 on Zopp's serve to bring up his 5th match point. This was the best rally of the match. The pair trade heavy blows from the baseline before Zopp hits a forehand down the line and approaches the net. Ignatik hit the pass back down the line and the ball clips the tape and rapidly travels above Zopp's head. The Estonian shows quick reflexes to get the volley back deep into the court and Ignatik attempts a lob and Zopp successfully puts away the overhead. Ignatik loses it again, shouts at us and then his coach and then punches the back wall. Zopp holds and it is 5-5. The pair then both settle down and hold until 7-7 before Ignatik starts getting tired and calls for a medical timeout. There was nothing wrong with him, he was just physically and mentally spent. Zopp breaks and wins the match to 15 on his serve.

He showed tremendous fight and courage throughout and simply refused to miss when he was down match points on 5 occasions. The Estonians were happy as was I and Ignatik left the court swearing under his breath. Very entertaining and high quality stuff, probably the best match I've seen so far this week.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #101
country flag quasi

quasi is on a distinguished road

Def. Rodrigues in a rather long and tough match 6-7(4), 6-3, 11-9
Plays Smyczek in the final round
quasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #102
country flag SVK

SVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond repute

Close matches but he is fighting well, hopefully he will qualify, good luck.
SVK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #103
country flag MariaV

Another crazy match!
Hope he has something left for the final qualy round.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #104

Saw the great man again, becoming quite the fighter:

Jurgen Zopp Vs Mathieu Rodrigues

The Estonians were back again, but it quickly became apparent they hadn't worked on their cheerleading skills overnight. The continuous yell of "Zopp Zopp Zopp Zopp etc" isn't the most creative chant in the book but I'll be damned if I wasn't going to sing it along with them. Rodriguez, the Frenchman that is clearly Spanish is a Verdasco lookalike and I got the impression he's good mates with the old mirror as well. First thing that struck me about this bloke - the second serve is definitely up there with the worst in the game. It makes Nieminen and Wozniacki look like Ivanisevic. Deadset, my Grandma could get more speed on the delivery.

Zopp opened up a 3-0 lead in what seemed like a couple of seconds before he completely imploded and forgot how to hit the ball over the net and in the court. Rodriguez has got no weapons and just gets everything back and this began to frustrate the Estonian immensely. Rodriguez won the next four games in a row before they both held serve to go into a tiebreak which the Frenchman took 7-4.

Zoppmeister upped the ante in the second, hitting through the court and putting pressure on the Rodriguez forehand which was definitely the weaker wing. Pretty routine here, Zopp takes the second 6-3. Games go on serve until 8-7 when suddenly Rodriguez rolls over in pain with cramps. He was yelling and screaming and the trainer had to be called. Second match in a row that this has happened to Zopp deep into the third. The next part is the funniest. Rodriguez limps back to the baseline and is about to serve at 40-30 when out of nowhere he throws in an underarm serve! Zopp, clearly caught by surprise, somehow manages to get it back into play before the Frenchman easily accounts for the short reply. The crowd, including myself, weren't to happy here and some people let the guy know this. Zopp saved a couple of break points at 9-9 before breaking for the match on his second opportunity with a crisp forehand volley cross court.

Zopp dropped his racquet to the ground and flung his arms over his head in celebration. He saluted the crowd that had stuck with him and then posed for a group photo with the Estonian contingent. Good bloke and hopefully he can qualify for his first grand slam tomorrow. One things for sure, he has definitely earned it.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #105
country flag Jovard

Thanks for the reports
Hopefully he continues fighting and gets that one (or more) win(s)

Last edited by Jovard : 01-13-2012 at 11:14 PM.