Which 2 slam wonder was better Djokovic or Rafter - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which one is better?

Novak Djokovic 49 74.24%
Patrick Rafter 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which 2 slam wonder was better jokeovic or rafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
What is Rafter's resumé?
2 Grand Slams (2 US Opens)
2 Grand Slam runner-up (both Wimbledon)
A week at no 1 in the world, more than most
2 Masters Series titles (the back to back Canada/Cincy double)
Reached all four GS semis, and the finals of two of them in an era of very contrasting surfaces

Djokovic

2 Grand Slams (2 Australian Opens)
2 GS runner-up (2 US Opens)
A couple of weeks at no 2
5 Masters Series
1 YEC
Reached all four GS semis (though I feel it's a little tainted by the homogenization of surfaces, as good a record as it is)

It's closer. But I feel Rafter's era was tougher and I give the edge to him. Reaching 2 Wimby finals in a hugely competitive grass era with the likes of Henman, Escude, Sampras, Krajicek, Philippoussis, Hewitt, Martin, Ivanisevic, Agassi etc was hugely impressive. He's more remembered too if you ask the average tennis mark.

If Nole wins another one then yeah he will overtake Patrick. But I'll always prefer Rafter, in game style and personality. Brilliant fella.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #17
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which 2 slam wonder was better Djokovic or Rafter

rafter also played with real surface differences

you couldn't dominate all surfaces in the 90s

pete at his best won 3 in a row and got owned at RG (his record there before 97 was very impressive)

rafter is part of the reason the 90s were such a strong era

djokvic is a good hard courter
shit on slow grass- he would get routined by pioline on REAL grass
ok on clay.... no actually he's shit on clay- there's only 2 good clay courters in the world- and almugro aint one of them- and djokovic still cant do shit

i think overall slam counts are misleading

borgs 11 is > than emersons 12

regardless of all that- djokovic has only won 2 slams when federer was either fucking poised or olderer
and worse yet, djokovic actually let nadull beat him at the US OPEN- nadulls worst surface

beating murray in a slam final isn't an achievement- even federer looks embarrassed to beat murray because its so easy
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #18
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

It's too bad Rafter was such a late bloomer. The man had immaculate net play and kick serves that played into his style perfectly -- but he was somewhat limited in his return game and to a lesser extent his ground strokes. Both players really fit their respective eras well, Rafter, the aggressive net player, Djokovic, the complete baseliner. As Djokovic will almost undoubtedly retire with significantly better achievements, the argument is really superfluous, and more about preference. Rafter's defeats over Sampras at the USO were the stuff of legends, though.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
country flag Priam

Priam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond repute

Rafter, but Djoker can certainly pass him (and he will).
Priam is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #20
country flag BULLZ1LLA
Banned!

BULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond reputeBULLZ1LLA has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic only ever won the Australian Open. And has not even made the Final of a clay or grass slam. Rafter was in 3 Wimbledon Finals , Roland Garros Semi , Australian Open Semi , and won 2 US Opens.

And like I said before can you really imagine Djokovic even threatening Sampras at the US Open and Agassi at Wimbledon(twice)? Rafter beat them both at those venues. The slam resume is clearly in favor of Rafter. No comparison.

Djokovic is more of a reactive player , and he beat Murray because Murray was not aggressive. Rafa pushed Djokovic around and beat him at the USO comfortably. Rafter was the opposite to Murray because Rafter took the game away from his opponent , made them look clueless.
BULLZ1LLA is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #21
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Nole

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #22
country flag Yandr001

Yandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond reputeYandr001 has a reputation beyond repute

Rafter. By a long way.
Yandr001 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #23
country flag siffleanimaux

siffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond repute

at "classy aussie (oxymoron lol)"

when will you people learn that there are all different kinds of people in every country..
siffleanimaux is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #24
country flag siffleanimaux

siffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond reputesiffleanimaux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which 2 slam wonder was better jokeovic or rafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
2 Grand Slams (2 US Opens)
2 Grand Slam runner-up (both Wimbledon)
A week at no 1 in the world, more than most
2 Masters Series titles (the back to back Canada/Cincy double)
Reached all four GS semis, and the finals of two of them in an era of very contrasting surfaces

Djokovic

2 Grand Slams (2 Australian Opens)
2 GS runner-up (2 US Opens)
A couple of weeks at no 2
5 Masters Series
1 YEC
Reached all four GS semis (though I feel it's a little tainted by the homogenization of surfaces, as good a record as it is)

It's closer. But I feel Rafter's era was tougher and I give the edge to him. Reaching 2 Wimby finals in a hugely competitive grass era with the likes of Henman, Escude, Sampras, Krajicek, Philippoussis, Hewitt, Martin, Ivanisevic, Agassi etc was hugely impressive. He's more remembered too if you ask the average tennis mark.

If Nole wins another one then yeah he will overtake Patrick. But I'll always prefer Rafter, in game style and personality. Brilliant fella.
Youngest player to do so!
siffleanimaux is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 AM   #25
country flag Donnay Quixote

Donnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond repute

Rafter was 3-0 against Federer , beating him on every surface..... Grass,clay and hard court

And he did it the same year Fed beat Sampras.

Pat actually destroyed Roger.

Donnay Quixote is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #26
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLZILLA View Post
And like I said before can you really imagine Djokovic even threatening Sampras at the US Open and Agassi at Wimbledon(twice)?
Why not? Sampras lost to some random at the US Open in 1994, one of his best seasons.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #27
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

I love Patrick, he was one of my first tennis faves but I gotta say that so far Nole's résumé is better

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #28
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Nole.

Rafter has an amazingly low title-count for a former #1.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #29
country flag FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond repute

Rafter competed in an era of legends, winning two grand slams and reaching the no 1 ranking, all the while playing the most attractive tennis imaginable. Djokovic is competing in an era of clowns, where all the surfaces play exactly the same way, and he can play his dull, unimaginative baseline tennis all year round.

In short, Rafter will always have the superior career to Djokovic, even if this talentless Balkan clown manages to fluke his way to another ten slams (and in this pathetic era of tennis, if he were to do so it would not surprise me in the least).
FairWeatherFan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #30
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWeatherFan View Post
Rafter competed in an era of legends, winning two grand slams and reaching the no 1 ranking, all the while playing the most attractive tennis imaginable. Djokovic is competing in an era of clowns, where all the surfaces play exactly the same way, and he can play his dull, unimaginative baseline tennis all year round.

In short, Rafter will always have the superior career to Djokovic, even if this talentless Balkan clown manages to fluke his way to another ten slams (and in this pathetic era of tennis, if he were to do so it would not surprise me in the least).

hm, i bet people in the era of legends you are talking about, also complained and cried for the era of edberg, becker, lendl, etc etc...

the fact is, most of those legends would be heaving and grasping for air after three sets, with the pace the game is played at today. Each era has its specifics and its legends.

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread