Hewitt vs. Djokovic debate - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Has Djokovic eclipsed Lleyton yet?

Yes, as of now, Novak has a better career than Hewitt 136 55.06%
Nope, it's close but Hewitt still has an edge, just. 97 39.27%
Just too close to call at the moment! Still hopefully time for both. 14 5.67%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #46
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: Has Djokovic eclipsed Hewitt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
It was Sampras' 2nd to last slam ever. and yes Bjokrman, Baby Youzhny, Schalken (Didn't 86 year old Agassi spank him?), Henman the bust, and 12 year old Nalbandian IS a joke.

If there's a joke, it's you, but that's hardly uncommon I often wonder how you don't get dizzy from the way you spin points of view to suit your agenda. Over the hill excuse one day, slam winner a few months later, babies all around, never mind their talent and the level at which they played, if they're not 23, you have an argument. Finally and not least importantly since it is a shining example why you're such an annoying dolt, only an ignorant fool can dismiss Henman as not being a more than respectable opponent in Wimbledon, based solely on your lack of any kind of not only respect but basic acknowledgment of someone's skills unless they have at lest 4 slams to their name. BTW, whenever you assume that high ground from which you pass your ever so respectable judgment on players, like that list with Kafelnikov, Rafter et al., I feel like puking.

Bottom line is, I'll find you and you can find yourself a far more pathetic draw through which Sampras won Wimbledon. So why not just shut up.
Hope it is clear now, tool!
oranges is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #47
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree.. Outside of possibly Agassi who was still a good player but not what he was prior and clearly on the downslope of his career, or Sampras giving it his all for his slam at the USO in 2002, who is going to stop djokovic during the transitional era of decimating AO after AO, USO after USO, or getting a few french open titles to his resume? Djoker 00-03 would eclipe Hewitt's 2 slam count WITH EASE and probably not even break much of a sweat doing so. I mean unless people think Costa,Baby Nalbandian, Gaudio, Johannson etc are going to stop him
There's nothing suggesting Djokovic is guaranteed to go over Costa, Corretja, Coria, Ferrero, Kuerten and the rest of a very stern clay field of that time. Would he have the patience to take them all out? I'm not convinced.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #48
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot Roddick- 10different champions in 12 GS 2001-2003, if we count Safin in US open 2000 than 11 different champions from 13 GSD: that is not transitional era- that is probably that everyone of them were so good that can only win 1-2 GS because the competition was best ever...
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #49
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree.. Outside of possibly Agassi who was still a good player but not what he was prior and clearly on the downslope of his career, or Sampras giving it his all for his slam at the USO in 2002, who is going to stop djokovic during the transitional era of decimating AO after AO, USO after USO, or getting a few french open titles to his resume? Djoker 00-03 would eclipe Hewitt's 2 slam count WITH EASE and probably not even break much of a sweat doing so. I mean unless people think Costa,Baby Nalbandian, Gaudio, Johannson etc are going to stop him
Well, when Hewitt was asked who is the most difficult opponent to play outside Fedal he cited Djokovic and has said numerous times that he sees Djoko as the next n#1.

A premonition of what was about to come at AO, after his loss this year at the hands of Novak in Hopman's Cup, Lleyton said this:

"It is Hewitt who believes Djokovic has closed the gap on the world's top two players, stating that Nadal needed to produce "a superhuman" effort to conquer the Serbian in the US Open final in September.
Djokovic's movement, Hewitt said, is as good as any player in the world and after tinkering with his serve with less-than-desired results, the motion is again smooth and now a significant weapon. Most importantly, Djokovic said he has the hunger to succeed".

Much respect for Hewitt.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nş2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #50
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Hey bottom line is.. heres the thing I look at it.. If Hewitt was SO MUCH BETTER then Djokvovic why is it he only managed 2 slams during the 3-4 years of the muggish of the mug. With not ONE other dominant player much less two like we have now or the 3-4 we had in the 90s on various surfaces?

Djoker>Hewitt hands down.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #51
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

soon
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #52
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey bottom line is.. heres the thing I look at it.. If Hewitt was SO MUCH BETTER then Djokvovic why is it he only managed 2 slams during the 3-4 years of the muggish of the mug. With not ONE other dominant player much less two like we have now or the 3-4 we had in the 90s on various surfaces?

Djoker>Hewitt hands down.
It's not about being better. If you're discussing achievements, and I'd say the thread title makes it abundantly clear, than that's all that counts. Hewitt's so far clearly greater. Pathetic attempts to knock them down don't change that fact.

Besides, just as during that period with a gazillion of 'how many slams would Roddick have won if not for Federer', I just love the make-believe that Federer, and in this case Nadal, are the only guys standing in the way of a far more fruitful career. In reality, Djokovic was losing to Tsonga, Kohlschreiber, Safin, Roddick, etc,. you know the kind of guys you love speaking about with utter disdain. So much for indisputably higher quality or supreme consistency. But hey, if it fits your agenda, it all goes.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #53
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
There's nothing suggesting Djokovic is guaranteed to go over Costa, Corretja, Coria, Ferrero, Kuerten and the rest of a very stern clay field of that time. Would he have the patience to take them all out? I'm not convinced.
Youre right.. I mean it only took the greatest clay court player to ever live to take him out once or twice at Roland Garros and stop him from winning 2 french open titles or so. Costa,Gaudio or Coria, would have been a total pain the ass to take out at the french.

Kuerten I'll give u but not the rest.

And he took out Fed TWICE at the AO and whooped Murray with ease in the final. Johannson or Kafelnikov or Schalken would have been just TOO MUCH to handle

Ayeee
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #54
country flag SetSampras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Youre right.. I mean it only took the greatest clay court player to ever live to take him out once or twice at Roland Garros and stop him from winning 2 french open titles or so. Costa,Gaudio or Coria, would have been a total pain the ass to take out at the french.

And he took out Fed TWICE at the AO and whooped Murray with ease in the final. Johannson or Kafelnikov or Scheuttler would have been just TOO MUCH to handle

Ayeee
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #55
country flag oranges

FFS he lost to Kohlschreiber in RG, how would Coria be a breeze, get a grip.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #56
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

to be fair to djoko, both the loss to kohli and to melzer had really more to do with djokos wretched form than anything else.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #57
country flag Zagor

Zagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Youre right.. I mean it only took the greatest clay court player to ever live to take him out once or twice at Roland Garros and stop him from winning 2 french open titles or so.
What 2(or so) FO titles? I think he would have had a very good chance to win it in 2008 without Nadal but in 2006&2007? Can't see it to be honest,Fed put up a much better fight against Nadal than Novak did in those FOs,what makes you think he's a sure bet to beat Fed in the FO final in those years?

That said it is my personal opinion that Novak would have won more slams in transitional period(Sampras fading,Fed not in his prime yet)than Hewitt did but we can't know that for sure.For now Hewitt has the edge in their overall achievements but IMO Novak will surpass Rusty by some margin before he's done.
Zagor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #58
country flag Zagor

Zagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
to be fair to djoko, both the loss to kohli and to melzer had really more to do with djokos wretched form than anything else.
Novak was in excellent form most of the 2009 clay season but he couldn't recover mentally from that SF loss to Nadal in Madrid,plus Kohlschreiber played an excellent match.As for Melzer loss,that was just a terrible meltdown,Novak really let that one slip away(not that it would have mattered that much as he was bound to face Nadal next).
Zagor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #59
country flag SetSampras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post
What 2(or so) FO titles? I think he would have had a very good chance to win it in 2008 without Nadal but in 2006&2007? Can't see it to be honest,Fed put up a much better fight against Nadal than Novak did in those FOs,what makes you think he's a sure bet to beat Fed in the FO final in those years?

That said it is my personal opinion that Novak would have won more slams in transitional period(Sampras fading,Fed not in his prime yet)than Hewitt did but we can't know that for sure.For now Hewitt has the edge in their overall achievements but IMO Novak will surpass Rusty by some margin before he's done.
Well I feel that Djoker at the top of his game, is a better clay court player then Fed and would have no doubt gotten 1-2 French Open titles if not for Nadal regardless if Fed was in the final. but to each his own I guess. Unfortunately, we never got to see it since they were on opposite sides of the draw.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #60
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And he took out Fed TWICE at the AO and whooped Murray with ease in the final. Johannson or Kafelnikov or Schalken would have been just TOO MUCH to handle

Ayeee
Each to their own, but he wouldn't have relished taking those clay guys on in a best of 5, especially with his fitness, they'd have grinded all day and all night long- could he have beaten those guys back to back to back with his style?

Testing Nadal means nothing, those guys in 2000-02 played similar styles, but were also more aggressive than Nadal. Nadal's game allows Nole to hit flat whereas Costa etc don't.

You're basically saying he was a lock to beat Fed in a potential final too.

Johansson and Schalken were talented players FFS. At least if they were here now there'd be less uni-dimension on the tour.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote