Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

it just coincided
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This. Martin was not the cause of his collapse, but he also didn't help Djokovic get out of it.

I think one of the errors in that coaching relationship is that Martin perhaps pressed Novak *too much* regarding coming to net. Djokovic will always be best from the baseline, with just the occasional foray to close at net when he is well set up for it. Martin wanted to see too much net play out of a guy who just isn't very naturally gifted from that part of the court.

Also I'm pretty sure Djokovic hasn't lost in a GS R16 in many many years... AO '07 maybe?
I think it's rather about perfecting one aspect of your game, before moving on. Both Federer and Nadal have taken this approach. Novak lost more than a year trying to improve his net play and in the process lost confidence with his basic game.

This year should be about tentatively improving these aspects, without losing direction and a comfort zone to fall back to that works on most occasions.

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This. Martin was not the cause of his collapse, but he also didn't help Djokovic get out of it.
I think one of the errors in that coaching relationship is that Martin perhaps pressed Novak *too much* regarding coming to net. Djokovic will always be best from the baseline, with just the occasional foray to close at net when he is well set up for it. Martin wanted to see too much net play out of a guy who just isn't very naturally gifted from that part of the court.

Also I'm pretty sure Djokovic hasn't lost in a GS R16 in many many years... AO '07 maybe?
Agree with this. Also, Martin's personality is total opposite of Nole's team and Nole himself.

At the end of 2009, Novak had the crazy schedule of winning Beijing, Basel and Paris plus reaching SF in Shanghai. He was exhausted in WTF and his shoulder was hurting. He did not say anything about this but his shoulder was taped almost all the time since then. He kept saying it's precaution but we only saw this around the time his serve sucked.

One thing that I saw improvement in Novak's game is his slice from Martin's time. But it's not a big part of his game and not a significant improvement that would compensate for his lost of confidence and serve. Also, there's improvement in his drop shots even though they are still bad but are comparatively better than before. Before, 9 out of 10 times, his drop shots are either drop before the net or bounce too high or at the totally wrong time, now it's only 5 out of 10.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting. It's something I too meant to ask this a while back. Seems like he almost destroyed Nole...of course I say that from the outside looking in...
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
country flag sanshisan

sanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimentee View Post
Djokovic's problems were caused by the changed service action which Todd Martin wanted him to use. It caused more double faults and a loss of confidence in his game.

Djokovic started playing better once he got the service motion back to normal.

I still maintain that Nole should sue Todd Martin for negligence and loss of earnings over that period.

Correct. The commentators were talking about it at the AO - Todd Martin was instrumental in getting Novak to change his service motion. The result? Number of double faults rose to equal number of balls in.

Conspiracy theory - the moment I heard Martin was coaching Novak my first thought was - Martin will find a way to slow Novak down by screwing him up. Novak was too much of a threat to the Royal #1 & 2.

For awhile it looked like Novak's long time coach Marian Vajda was being forced out. Now that Vajda is back as number one coach - Novak is winning again.
sanshisan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
country flag Branimir

Branimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond repute

But Novak Djokovic never collapsed? I mean if you consider his losses in some master finals and semi-finals, QF exits at RG and W a collapse so be it. RN and RF really set the expectations very high, didn't they?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
country flag Leo

Leo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudygirl View Post
RG09???
No, that was 3rd round.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #23
country flag Leo

Leo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanshisan View Post
Conspiracy theory - the moment I heard Martin was coaching Novak my first thought was - Martin will find a way to slow Novak down by screwing him up. Novak was too much of a threat to the Royal #1 & 2.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Did Martin make Djokovic start pushing his forehand as well?

Djok had a big loss of confidence. Don't know how you can blame Martin for that. Marian Vajda is Novak's coach and has been since 2005 or whenever it was Piatti cut him loose.

It was all those defeats to Nadal in 08 that hit his confidence. Getting smoked in RG after playing him tight in hamburg, then losing the marathons in Queens and the Olympics. Djok didn't see that coming after he took the Aus Open and it hurt him.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #25
country flag tennishero

tennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
New generation players like Djokovic etc. don't need these old fellas, they need professionals that are serve experts in the 90ies or 2000's where rackets are MUCH different than the past. They need someone to relate to. That's why I thought it was ridiculous when Roddick hired Connors. What's the point?
agree with this, leaving todd martin obviously paid off for novak.
tennishero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #26
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Q. Three years have passed between your two Grand Slam titles. Do you doubt during this period?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I played several quarters and halves, I even played a final at the U.S. Open. I always knew I had the qualities to win a Grand Slam. It did not happen because I have had ups and downs during these three years. My private life has been unstable, I went through difficult times. But during that time, I learned, is facing the pressure of expectations. It has resulted in sometimes results in sawtooth. Side orders were reflected in my game today, I feel much stronger physically and in the head. I became a wiser and experienced player.

Q. From the outside, it seems that your service is no longer a weakness and that your coverage of land has become phenomenal ...
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I worked hard physically, and I now feel very strong in this area. As for my service, it generated a lot of questions lately. Why I changed my motion, why is it so bad. In fact, I would not change movement. It's a shoulder injury that led me to change the gesture. I struggled to return to the original, then I changed my racquet ... All these things have affected his quality, but it's all settled now.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #27
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
Did Martin make Djokovic start pushing his forehand as well?

Djok had a big loss of confidence. Don't know how you can blame Martin for that. Marian Vajda is Novak's coach and has been since 2005 or whenever it was Piatti cut him loose.

It was all those defeats to Nadal in 08 that hit his confidence. Getting smoked in RG after playing him tight in hamburg, then losing the marathons in Queens and the Olympics. Djok didn't see that coming after he took the Aus Open and it hurt him.
I don't know really know why Djokovic had confidence issues. His breathing issues may have been peaking at that time.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

This thread should be merged with the other one on Martin coaching Djokovic.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #29
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

COME BACK!

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #30
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Vajda has always been the man, but Todd Martin well good intentions don't always have good results.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote