How to progress in the game, the next step?? Advice please?? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
country flag MATTY1980

MATTY1980 is on a distinguished road
Default How to progress in the game, the next step?? Advice please??

Hi all,

I've been playing tennis seriously and consistently for 2-3 years, I'm quite happy with how I've improved but now it doesn't matter how hard I try I can't seem to progress anymore and have hit some sort of talent wall, I seem to be making always the same mistakes, I play 2-4 times every week for 2-3 hours each time.

I've decided then to have as much coaching as possible, at least once a week and am confident this will unlock the door to the next level of skill!! I'm just curious if other people have felt like they've learnt as much as they can and then think about coaching? I take it coaching is the way forward if you hit a talent wall?

I do watch a lot of tennis vid lessons on youtube but am sure some people can appreciate that doesn't always work and isn't the same as an actual person telling you what to do.

Thanks, Matt
MATTY1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to progress in the game, the next step?? Advice please??

Play matches.

Figure out what is causing you to lose.

Mostly it is fitness.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
country flag MATTY1980

Hello,

I'm pretty sure it's not fitness, I never get tied when I run round and I play matches but on a friendly level at the mo. Sometimes I think I run too much and am over eager to hit the ball so hit it without thinking!

Matt
Old 11-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
country flag fleabitten

fleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond repute

So, what level are you? I mean NTRP if you know it.
What are your weaknesses and how are you working on them in practice?
fleabitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY1980 View Post
Hi all,

I've been playing tennis seriously and consistently for 2-3 years, I'm quite happy with how I've improved but now it doesn't matter how hard I try I can't seem to progress anymore and have hit some sort of talent wall, I seem to be making always the same mistakes, I play 2-4 times every week for 2-3 hours each time.

I've decided then to have as much coaching as possible, at least once a week and am confident this will unlock the door to the next level of skill!! I'm just curious if other people have felt like they've learnt as much as they can and then think about coaching? I take it coaching is the way forward if you hit a talent wall?

I do watch a lot of tennis vid lessons on youtube but am sure some people can appreciate that doesn't always work and isn't the same as an actual person telling you what to do.

Thanks, Matt
Work on shot selection and variety. Its not always the person with the better strokes who wins. Maybe work on the Serve and Volley. I do it probably 1/3 of the time and it forces my opponent to hit safe returns which helps me when I choose not to come in. Work on certian plays, I hit different types of serves when I'm going for an ace and when i'm playing serve and volley.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #6

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabitten View Post
So, what level are you? I mean NTRP if you know it.
What are your weaknesses and how are you working on them in practice?
I thought the Brits don't use NTRP isn't that just an American thing?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks, Matt
if you were playing real good you would know what you are missing to improve. Fitness is not only about getting tired or not, its essential to make you arrive on the ball in the right spot (movement) and hit it with all the power/direction you want. Then on the next point, the same. Fitness makes you bring your A game anytime you want.
Coaching is good in the beginning to make you learn all without vicious. Maybe you cant progress because you are using a wrong grip on the serve, or a mad movement when volleying/hitting a topspin forehand. Ever imagined?
Now your coach will prolly watch you and then what you are doing wrong and you will have a hard time perhaps to correct (if thats the case) but I agrre with you, take some coaching for at least 6 months and see if you can improve.
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
country flag MATTY1980

Hello all,

Thank you for all your replies, there much appreciated.

I would say my level is intermediate and we we want to be more picky then a beginner intermediate. I think one thing I do is when hitting a hard forehand sometimes is lean back a bit and then hit it way up into the air and out!! I think sometimes it feels natural to lean back but am pretty sure this is not right.

I think it'll be good when I have coaching cause I might be videoed so will be able to see easily what I do when I hit the ball.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
country flag fleabitten

fleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah - I didn't notice he was a Brit. I see he is a beginner-intermediate now. So, Matty, I think you need more time on the court. Getting professional instruction is the BEST thing you can do.
fleabitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
country flag MATTY1980

Hi,

Thanks Fleabitten, yes coaching is the way forward I feel. I don't suppose I can appreciate how valuable coaching is until I get out there on the court with someone telling me what to do.

I think another thing which might be holding me back is I mainly play doubles which is fine and the thing is if a lot turn up on a club session you can't really play singles and have people sitting out. I did a bit of singles last night (Mon night) and really enjoyed it shall have to try and do more singles as well as doubles. Sometimes in doubles you hardly touch the ball!!

Thanks, Matt
Old 12-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks Fleabitten, yes coaching is the way forward I feel. I don't suppose I can appreciate how valuable coaching is until I get out there on the court with someone telling me what to do.

I think another thing which might be holding me back is I mainly play doubles which is fine and the thing is if a lot turn up on a club session you can't really play singles and have people sitting out. I did a bit of singles last night (Mon night) and really enjoyed it shall have to try and do more singles as well as doubles. Sometimes in doubles you hardly touch the ball!!

Thanks, Matt
Doubles is a really easy way to develop the precision you need on groundstokes and volleys and that can easily translate into the singles game.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
country flag MATTY1980

Hi,

Thanks Dunlopkick service, when I'm on form my net play/volleys are pretty lethal and normally make a clean connection with the ball on these shots.

Matt
Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you for all your replies, there much appreciated.

I would say my level is intermediate and we we want to be more picky then a beginner intermediate. I think one thing I do is when hitting a hard forehand sometimes is lean back a bit and then hit it way up into the air and out!! I think sometimes it feels natural to lean back but am pretty sure this is not right.

I think it'll be good when I have coaching cause I might be videoed so will be able to see easily what I do when I hit the ball.
No matter what shot you hit always try to have forward momentum. It will help you gain not only a little more pace on your shots but it will give you a bit more control too. Footwork is key. Try to be in a good position when you hit shots.

Compare someone like Monfils to Federer. Both are fast but Federer is more efficient. As much as I like Monfils, half the time he is clowning around doing unnecessary running for no reason.

Most of the time if you are in a good position to hit the ball, you will hit it well. I would say 90% of the time you miss, you are hitting off balance or playing too risky a shot from an awkward position. Now if only I can take my own advice and stop playing stupid shots from stupid positions. lol
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
country flag MATTY1980

Hello,

SaFed2005 you talk a lot of sense and thanks for your comment. Well I had my first hour and a half coaching session on Monday and I could not be happier with how it went, it feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Bascially after he showed me where my feet, legs, arms etc etc should be to hit a good topspin forehand things stared to happem for me and the same for the backhand.

I basically wasn't swinging from low to high and flicking my wrist at the end/up stroke this is a big reason I felt like I couldn't progress and also why a lot of shots hit the net, I guess cause I wasn't coming over the ball. Backhand bit better now also, I still make some mistakes but now I know why I make them mistakes. So I just got to practice this new forehand/backhand swing CONSTANTLY until I can do it without thinking, but at least I can see a light at the end of the tunnel now!!

Thanks all, Matt
Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Matt.

Doubles players usually get only to play with flat shots.
Also, clay court is more suitable for top spin learning.
Just dont forget to not abstain totally from doubles training, you should keep your good level of volleys, keep working.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote