Novak Djokovic: It's time for another Grand Slam - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #61
country flag Thanos
Banned!

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novak Djokovic: It's time for another Grand Slam

just posting in here to increase my buddy vcash.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #62
country flag Zagor

Zagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond reputeZagor has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I like what he says here,yeah I guess this might come back to bite him if he loses early in AO but honestly this is the kind of attitude every top 10(especially top 5)player should have IMO.At AO what I hope to see is consistant serving at high level,flattening out the FH more and even if his volleys aren't great coming to the net when he has opponent is on the defensive instead of staying glued to the baseline.Overall if his game comes together at AO I think he can beat anyone except maybe Nadal who just seems to be too tough for Novak in a best of five(and long matches in general,all of Novak wins against him are straight sets).
Zagor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #63
country flag Commander Data

Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute

Question is if Nole can raise his level one more step, because that is what is gonna be needed.

- Magnus Carlsen
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #64
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Data View Post
Question is if Nole can raise his level one more step, because that is what is gonna be needed.
Maybe it is, but in my opinion it's all in the mind. He's got the game, just needs to serve better or more consistently. But he has to sort out his mind first. Also very interesting that he is aware that he needs to read his matches better against Fedal because he's too conscious of who is in front of him and that affects his gameplan.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #65
country flag opeth84

opeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond reputeopeth84 has a reputation beyond repute

He's definitely in with a good chance. He's been in good form pretty much since Wimbledon last year. With the added confidence of the davis cup victory behind him i think he's in with a shout. It's obviously going to be tough with Federer and and Nadal in good form too but i think this year he is going to be a real contender again. Maybe not at the Australian but i think he is capable of big things at Roland Garros and beyond.

Good luck to him.
opeth84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #66
country flag coonster14

coonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah he has a mental problem against Fedal, I like Nole, what I'm going to say is rather harsh, but it's the truth, Nole is mentally unstable and his breathing issues are a serious issue, I don't see him winning a grand slam in 2011, maybe in 2 years time when Fedal aren't dominating, even then, some other newcomer will come along.

Federer has beaten Nole the last 3 matches in a row (Shanghai SF where Nole played great leading up to that match with Fed, 3rd set Basel breadstick beatdown in the final, followed by the WTF SF spanking)

Nadal beat Nole convincingly in the USO final (Watching that match again, Nole came out with the wrong game plan in the 1st set, safe topspin shots don't cut it against Rafa, high-risk shots do pay off, and then in the 3rd and 4th sets, he mentally and physically folded like a cheap tent, he only played well for the first half of the 2nd set, Nole can thank the rain delay for winning that 2nd set), and then the incident with the contact lenses in the match against Rafa at WTF.

I wish Nole all the best, all of what I said above is just how I saw his matches against Fedal in 2010. Hopefully 2011 will be a different story (I would love to eat my own words should Nole win a grand slam in 2011)

Also supporting: Rusty, Pics, Nalby, Nando, Baggy, Kei, Isner, Blake, Kolya, Berdych, Richie, Soderling, Gil

Ana - Wozzy - Vika - Kimmy - Makiri

AGASSI,RAFTER,SAFIN
coonster14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #67
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonster14 View Post
Nah he has a mental problem against Fedal, I like Nole, what I'm going to say is rather harsh, but it's the truth, Nole is mentally unstable and his breathing issues are a serious issue, I don't see him winning a grand slam in 2011, maybe in 2 years time when Fedal aren't dominating, even then, some other newcomer will come along.

Federer has beaten Nole the last 3 matches in a row (Shanghai SF where Nole played great leading up to that match with Fed, 3rd set Basel breadstick beatdown in the final, followed by the WTF SF spanking)

Nadal beat Nole convincingly in the USO final (Watching that match again, Nole came out with the wrong game plan in the 1st set, safe topspin shots don't cut it against Rafa, high-risk shots do pay off, and then in the 3rd and 4th sets, he mentally and physically folded like a cheap tent, he only played well for the first half of the 2nd set, Nole can thank the rain delay for winning that 2nd set), and then the incident with the contact lenses in the match against Rafa at WTF.

I wish Nole all the best, all of what I said above is just how I saw his matches against Fedal in 2010. Hopefully 2011 will be a different story (I would love to eat my own words should Nole win a grand slam in 2011)
Don't worry Coonster, you'll eat all your words.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #68
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
He's got the game, just needs to serve better or more consistently.
He can't just do this. This is a very tough thing to do. Way easier said than done.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #69
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe it is, but in my opinion it's all in the mind. He's got the game, just needs to serve better or more consistently. But he has to sort out his mind first. Also very interesting that he is aware that he needs to read his matches better against Fedal because he's too conscious of who is in front of him and that affects his gameplan.
"All in the mind" is a bit vague though isn't it? The Djokovic of late '07 / early '08 was a genuine world-beater, & although nerves got the better of him in his first slam final, he was capable of beating anybody on any stage & he proved it. It's a shame he didn't run into Nadal in U.S.O. '07 or A.O. '08 as he'd have blown him away & got that monkey off his back. It's a shame Fed had mono as Djoker would probably have beaten him anyway & Fed would have had no excuses. Back then, Djokovic was an intimidating opponent: controlled aggressive striking off both wings, superbly disguised changes of direction on his shots, great athleticism & flexibility in defence, a dangerous, varied, & above all, clutch serve, arguably the best backhand & return of serve in the game at that time; he was even volleying better. Ever since then, he's been little more than solid - kind of 2006 Roddick without the serve but with a far better backhand & return. He's been improving gradually but he's still closer to 2009 than 2008 & that isn't good enough.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #70
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

it wasn't time last year?
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #71
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
"All in the mind" is a bit vague though isn't it? The Djokovic of late '07 / early '08 was a genuine world-beater, & although nerves got the better of him in his first slam final, he was capable of beating anybody on any stage & he proved it. It's a shame he didn't run into Nadal in U.S.O. '07 or A.O. '08 as he'd have blown him away & got that monkey off his back. It's a shame Fed had mono as Djoker would probably have beaten him anyway & Fed would have had no excuses. Back then, Djokovic was an intimidating opponent: controlled aggressive striking off both wings, superbly disguised changes of direction on his shots, great athleticism & flexibility in defence, a dangerous, varied, & above all, clutch serve, arguably the best backhand & return of serve in the game at that time; he was even volleying better. Ever since then, he's been little more than solid - kind of 2006 Roddick without the serve but with a far better backhand & return. He's been improving gradually but he's still closer to 2009 than 2008 & that isn't good enough.
I agree 100% with the first part, we all miss that Djokovic. But if he could do it then there is a big chance that he can do it again. He just needs to find that in him, find his old self again. That's why those words in that interview give me great hope, because he's taking the first step mentally to become the champion that he was. Step by step, man.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #72
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to choose between wanting to be loved and being brash and arrogant internally. Seems like he will have better chances to win a GS and even take the #1 spot if he is the latter.

Both Fed and Nadal have huge egos and have confidence bordering on arrogance. That seems to be an essential ingredient in the making of a champion. Novak needs to tap into his own sense of self-worth to make things happen.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #73
country flag Nole fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
He needs to choose between wanting to be loved and being brash and arrogant internally. Seems like he will have better chances to win a GS and even take the #1 spot if he is the latter.

Both Fed and Nadal have huge egos and have confidence bordering on arrogance. That seems to be an essential ingredient in the making of a champion. Novak needs to tap into his own sense of self-worth to make things happen.
Agree with that too.
But I doubt that he will revert back to that persona.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 01-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #74
country flag DTL

DTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond reputeDTL has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=MTwEeZi;10665737]Good chance at AO (20%) [30%-Nad 30%-Fed 10%-Mur 10%-Sod]

Small chance at RG (10%)[75%-Nad 10%-Sod 4%-Fed 1%-Monfils]

Very small chance at Wimbledon (8.75%) [50%-Nad 20%-Mur 10%-Sod 8.75%-Fed 2.5%-Ber]

8.75% for 6-time champion Federer at Wimbledon?? Where did you pull out these numbers from?
DTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #75
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agree with that too.
But I doubt that he will revert back to that persona.
That would be a pity since he has the game.