Expenses and life on tour (Amir Weintraub's blog, Tursunov's interview June 2013) - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #106
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (104#) (8/2/11) - "Notes from the Kremlin" - by Amir Weintraub

cant good rep you again... liked the ending

Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #107
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (104#) (8/2/11) - "Notes from the Kremlin" - by Amir Weintraub

Alot of negativity surrounding amir at the moment, understandably. Hopefully he's not thinking or regretting as much as he sounds like he is. Scheduling errors, bad matches and all that, just hope he realises he should move on and get his head geared toward the next match. I'm sure he does. Nice place, Russia, unlucky on the loss though.

Good luck to him on the next tournament, good read, but I'm hoping to read some positive stuff in the next installment. I'm sure he'll do well.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #108
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I forgot to say that he won his first round today in France, so - at least he didn't lose in the first round. I just hope he does well in DC....
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #109
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Great read, as always.

I'm not much of a shill but there was a former pro who posted at the tennis warehouse forum a couple months ago about his training regimen and the schedule he took on as a pro. He only made it to the 200's but he kind of echoed Amir's sentiments that this sport really has the odds stacked against you in terms of winnings and paying other fees. The pro also said most are broke by the end of their career and like Amir said, the only positive is that they got to see the world.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #110
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
Great read, as always.

I'm not much of a shill but there was a former pro who posted at the tennis warehouse forum a couple months ago about his training regimen and the schedule he took on as a pro. He only made it to the 200's but he kind of echoed Amir's sentiments that this sport really has the odds stacked against you in terms of winnings and paying other fees. The pro also said most are broke by the end of their career and like Amir said, the only positive is that they got to see the world.
I wonder why they don't change the system?
And shouldn't tennis federations pay for players expenses? at least the ones with projection...

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #111
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
And shouldn't tennis federations pay for players expenses? at least the ones with projection...
I imagine the Federation shelled out the money to send out a coach with him, due to DC coming up.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #112

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
You can see in ATP 250's, stands are empty until quarters or even semis. If tournaments at that range are struggling for attendance, I can't imagine futures/challengers events. Unless there is a greater interest from the fans or sponsors, that prize money will never be enough for a pro outside the top 100.

It's still crazy in a world of billions of people, roughly 1,700 can even be considered ranked. And then, only people consistently within the top 100 will yield any sort of positive gain. The rest are in the red and in debt or burnt out. Really hard to see the positive outlook on making this sport a career in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #113
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Great for Amir to win a match, hell yes it's a tough world down at this level. This is why it's so important to make the promised land.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #114

ESPN/Tennis channel and Eurosport do a good job of glamorizing this sport with the full attendance camera angles on the atp 500/1000's when they start covering the tournament by a friday, but those stands are basically empty monday through thursday (miami and indian wells will show this). Other online viewers of streams have probably noticed it as well. Aspiring pros just need to be educated on their long odds or like you said, get backed by the federation. But even then, the federation can screw you out of potential prize money or they will list unreal demands.

I am not positive but Monaco had trouble with the Argentine academies when they started seeing a brighter future in Del Potro and shifted their assets into him. Not positive like i said but i remember a monaco interview discussing it.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #115
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

The Argentine fed only put support into Nalbandian and Coria plus del Potro to a lesser extent.

It depends on where you are from. The Aussies if they like a player get support. In Colombia there is a private company that invests heavily in tennis.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #116
country flag VIPer7

VIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, are there any new posts in his blog?

Seems like the 5 set win over Janowicz in Davis Cup gave Amir new confidence!
He just reached the quarterfinals in Rimouski challenger (seeded 6th!) and will reach a new personal best ranking next week
VIPer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #117
country flag Or Levy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPer7 View Post
Just wondering, are there any new posts in his blog?

Seems like the 5 set win over Janowicz in Davis Cup gave Amir new confidence!
He just reached the quarterfinals in Rimouski challenger (seeded 6th!) and will reach a new personal best ranking next week
Yes, there were, but I was too busy, I am just wrapping up the translation. It's a brilliant post.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #118
country flag Or Levy

A New Blog Post - A week that really happened to me

Wow. Did this week really happen to me?
First appearance on Davis Cup. First win in Davis Cup. First time I've played 5 matches (something I didn't think was possible to do). Live broadcast on TV, lots of positive feedback from both mainstream and internet media. Hundreds of SMS.
If you only knew how it looked like for me before the match.

Thursday. The day before the match against Poland. The preliminary signs aren't good at all. I feel I'm collapsing under the pressure, I don't want to mess up, I don't want to disappoint. I don't want my first time to also be my last. Head's working too much. I go up to a closing practice against Dudi. A practice which we played under match-like conditions to see where we are after a week of practice. I play like shit, Dudi dismembers me 6-1 in a little over 15 minutes. I shatter the racquet to little pieces, and I don't usually do that.

If I was stressed out before that moment, now I feel like hell. I tell myself. "Amir, a day before the match, you are absolutely worthless"

Due to the fatigue of the entire week and the pressure, I've slept like a baby that night of all nights. But bad fortune continued, I got a wake up call from the hotel on 4 AM. All of my investigations didn't amount to anything, but 4 AM was the last time I closed my eyes that day.

Day of the match – we followed a protocol which lasted hours. It's entire purpose was, as far as I'm concerned, to make the time pass already. Me and Dudi go up for warmup and for a change I feel good. I'm a bit calmer after I got demolished the day before. We get back to the hotel room and each of us gets exactly what he wanted for 'match day food'. Dudi asks for Pasta, I opt for rice.

Back to the stadium again, Dudi goes up first. I'm on court cheering for him, every now and then I go to the locker-room to get ready. To talk to myself, to God. Every time I go to the locker-room someone from the team is there, to pass the time with me, to calm me down.

It's my time up. I'm shaking and excited. My stomach rolling. How am I supposed to hit the ball when I'm this nervous? I hold it all in, get the claps, hundreds of people calling my name, I've waited my entire life for that moment and it is a lot more thrilling than I could possibly dream.

There are a few things you notice for the first time when you play in front of the home crowd. The power of the crowd when they all look and you and want you to succeed. Hundreds of eyes looking at you, adding to the natural pressure of the match and the occasion. Before the match Amir Hadad (Retired Israel tennis player) tell me "Don't look at the crowd. If you look at them, it would make you more nervous."

He was right. I looked at the bench, at my team-mates, at my captain Eyal Ran. I didn't even look at my parents in the audience, I buried my head in the ground as much as possible.

I lost the first set, but I feel I'm not any worse than this giant Pole. Slowly the bad feelings go away. Strokes word better, hand is more relaxed, and everything is coming together as the match continues. I take the next two sets. In the fourth set, when I'm beginning to smell the victory, the head start working again. I lead 5-4 and serving for the match. And I shake,shake shake. Like I've never shook before. And then of course I make the mistake many players make before they win. Take the foot off the gas and wait for the match to be won for me. The Pole takes the game and drags me to a tie-breaker, in which he demolishes me. We're going to a fifth set.

In the fifth set I played with an ankle injury I sustained during the forth set TB. I got the mental cheering up I needed from Eyal Ran and a winning tip: Due to the state of your leg, he tells me, shorten the points and be aggressive.
Fifth set. Match point. I'm ecstatic. For a brief moment I hear the entire crowd singing to me, and feel until now the shivers in my entire body. In those seconds before the last serve, I have enough time to sneak a thought 'Look how far you've come, how many people you are making happy, look what you are doing for your country. Just get that serve in now."

The serve goes in. Game. Set. Match. I'm on cloud nine. Screaming, runnig like crazy. Don't know what I'm doing. Hugging everyone on my bench. They all did a brilliant job. Eyal was a genius Captain on the bench and kept me calm and pushed me forward and made me feel confident the entire match. After I was down mentally, after losing the forth set, I think the crowd and the bench won the match, not me. This is the power of the Davis.

From anonymity, I become somebody everyone know. I'm not ashamed to admit, it feels good. It fills you up. Those moments in the last week game me strength. I know we'll go back to obscure places and losing in the first round, but the power which is given by the crowd and playing DC at home cannot be explained.
I think only now I understood how important it is for our guys to play DC, two times per year which charges them later on and keep them afloat in all the dark places tennis often drags them too.
This moment on the court, this match point that I've had, when I stopped to hear the entire crowd rise to his feet and call out. "Israel Ole Israel Ole" is something I'll carry with me till my dying day.
I write this line with tears of joy in my eyes. Only today I know I've done something in my life, and all this hard work was not in vain.

2-0 for Israel. I only pray Andy and Yoni will take the doubles (which they eventually do), so I wouldn't have to go through this hell on Sunday again.

Saturday after the match we go party everyone together. Someone on the team said he sees Paparazzi taking our photo. When in my life did I ever believe I'd have Paparzzi taking my photo?

Monday, I' m in physiotherapy, working on my leg. Andyoni heading to the USO, Dudi hearing to San Jose, each moving on with his life like nothing ever happened. Back to the grind, till next September.

Last edited by Or Levy : 03-16-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #119
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (118#) (10/3/11) - "A week that really happened" - by Amir Weintr

fucking brilliant
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #120
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (118#) (10/3/11) - "A week that really happened" - by Amir Weintr

Good stuff. That post is what the sport is all about.