Milos Raonic - Page 50 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #736
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Milos Raonic

Seems like the Montenegro Tennis Federation is thinking that it can maybe get its hands on Raonic, and the paper Vijesti is pumping it up for all its worth. It sounds to me like a lot of wishful thinking, but for what it is worth (and the google translate is of course less than ideal), here is the article:

Vijesti

ITF rules brakes to Raonić immediately performances for Montenegro
Raonić told us that when conditions are created there will be no problem to get into the procedure for acquiring the right to play for Montenegro, but for now this is not possible - said Rašović.

Montenegrin player with a Canadian passport Milos Raonic due to earlier commitments to now can not play for Montenegro, said today the president of Tennis Federation of Montenegro (TSCG) Dimitri Rašović.

It is in this interview with MINA said Raonic hindered by rules of the World Tennis Association (ITF), which specifies that he could play for another team after three years of the last representative appearance.

According to him, but Raonic year did not play for Canada so you had to pass two more to gain eligibility to play for Montenegro.

- With him there's a will, it is indisputable. He told us he was proud to be a Montenegrin and constantly referred to Montenegro. He stated that when conditions are created there will be no problem to get into the procedure for acquiring the right to play for Montenegro, but for now this is not possible - said Rašović agency MINA.

Rašović stressed that Raonić interested, but also to be complied with procedures.

- He is willing, his father was always proud to mention Milos Montenegro. Is interested in playing for us, although Montenegro and infrastructure, and professional staff and economically much weaker than Canada - said Rašović.

He believes that "much more should coincide so that Rašović play for Montenegro."

- It TSCG not be alone, and the state would have to be involved, the sponsors to bring it up one such player, who will be among the top ten in the world - said Rašović.

Rašović pointed out that the ATP tournaments Raonić right to play a Montenegrin flag can obtain very quickly.

http://www.vijesti.me/sport/pravila-...ru-clanak-6204

++++

It doesn't even seem to make much sense, since they apparently talk about him not having played one of 3 years (I presume they mean Davis Cup, but of course he played last year, and is about to play again this year).

At least they recognize it would be an expensive proposition to win him over.
Gonzil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #737
country flag Emeraldhands

Emeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I guess everyone is on the Raonic Bandwagon, I don't remember this much fanfare when Dancevic made that run in Indy in 2007? I know they were when he made the QF in Montreal but that was to be expected in his backyard.
Emeraldhands is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #738

Emeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond reputeEmeraldhands has a reputation beyond repute

Let's just hope that we don't lose another one of our stars
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #739
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Just as I figured.. I was afraid this would happen.. do you really think he will play for Montenegro?

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #740

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

What do they mean by three years though? that he would be playing for Canada for three years and then change to Montenegro? I don't understand this article.. and has Milos ever hinted at playing for Montenegro? it seems like such a sell out to me when Tennis Canada has done everything for him to get his career going just so he can change citizenship?

Quote:
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #741
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be really surprised if Milos had seriously entertained the thought (as I recall, he rejected it pretty flatly when asked in Melbourne), but given his uncle was a major politician there, I'd expect there'd be some pressure on him and his family to at least appear to consider it. If he were really serious, though, he wouldn't play Davis Cup, given the three years restriction:

Quote:
Any tennis player who is in good standing with his National Association in accordance with Appendix D shall be qualified to represent that country if he:

(a) is a national of that country, has a current valid passport of that country, has lived in that country for 24 consecutive months at some time and has not represented any other country during the period of 36 months immediately preceding the event.

If a player is qualified under this sub section to represent more than one country and the National Association shall submit an application to the ITF, with a copy to any other National Association concerned. Such application must be received by the ITF at least six months prior to the event for which the player wishes to be nominated.
Of course, this is for Davis Cup; I don't think the ATP has specific rules on nationality changes beyond having a passport.
Blarghman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #742
country flag GasquetGulbis

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any reason why Milos would choose to play for Montenegro. Currently Canada's Davis Cup team is better placed. I assume he gets better funding as the top rated Canadian player. He receives better Wildcards into tournaments because he's Canadian, where would a Montenegran flag get him, maybe they hold a futures there once a year. Nothing against the country, but if Milos did decide to play for them... well I don't even know what to say. It'd be like giving up your spot on the US Ice Hockey team to play for South Africa or something.

I actually just read around the forums that young Andrea Collarini, who used to represent Argentina, but then switched to the U.S. was cheered against pretty badly in his qualifying match today, and lost to a qualifying wildcard 6-1, 6-1 in a pretty bad fashion. His opponent was a higher rank then him, but he was serving at 35% firsts, winning 17% of those, and 18% of his seconds.... I hope Raonic would be better received if he decided to switch, and was playing at the Rogers Cup

Last edited by GasquetGulbis : 02-13-2011 at 06:32 AM.
GasquetGulbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis View Post
I don't see any reason why Milos would choose to play for Montenegro. Currently Canada's Davis Cup team is better placed. I assume he gets better funding as the top rated Canadian player. He receives better Wildcards into tournaments because he's Canadian, where would a Montenegran flag get him, maybe they hold a futures there once a year. Nothing against the country, but if Milos did decide to play for them... well I don't even know what to say. It'd be like giving up your spot on the US Ice Hockey team to play for South Africa or something.

I actually just read around the forums that young Andrea Collarini, who used to represent Argentina, but then switched to the U.S. was cheered against pretty badly in his qualifying match today, and lost to a qualifying wildcard 6-1, 6-1 in a pretty bad fashion. His opponent was a higher rank then him, but he was serving at 35% firsts, winning 17% of those, and 18% of his seconds.... I hope Raonic would be better received if he decided to switch, and was playing at the Rogers Cup
I think they are talking in general, not just him playing for the Montenegro Davis Cup team.

Also, I was kinda shocked when I first read this. But I think I believe Milos more than a random newspaper. He has said he is playing for Canada, and wouldn't even have a career if it wasn't for Tennis Canada. Of course he could always decide to play for Montenegro. But it doesn't sound like he wants to, at least not at this point in time.. and I do hope I'm right. It would really suck to lose Milos. But I'll take this with a grain of salt because no other newspaper as far as I know have reported on it, so hopefully he'll stay with Canada. I mean, he said his siblings live in Montenegro now, but that his parents both live and work in Canada. Also, his girlfriend is in Toronto. So it's not like he doesn't have any ties to Canada at all, this article kinda made it seems like he didn't...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #744
country flag canuckfan

canuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond reputecanuckfan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more wishful thinking by the Montenegro tennis federation. They make it look like Milos told them he wants to leaves but can't because of ITF rules. On the other hand, Milos keeps saying in interviews that he wants to give back and improve tennis in Canada. Why would he say that if he was planning to leave at the first occasion?

The only reason why I could see him leave is if Montenegro offers him a gigantic amount of $$$. But as far as I know, Montenegro is not Qatar or Kazakshtan. They don't have an endless reserve of oil money to buy national heros for the sake of it.

That part made me laugh: "Montenegrin player with a Canadian passport"
canuckfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #745
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else around for Milos first final?
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #746
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
Anyone else around for Milos first final?
I am

Not much to say thus far though, he's just gotta keep his first serve percentage high. Just one point on Verdasco's serve thus far; not surprising but I'd hoped he'd do a little better.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #747
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, so far it doesn't look like he has anything on Verdasco's serve at all.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #748
country flag Gonzil

Good for him for getting to 5-5. I thought he was in trouble at 15-30.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #749
country flag Blarghman

Good game from 15-30, looked like it could have been trouble
Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #750

ditto