Canadian Players 2 - Page 143 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #2131
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Players 2

Golden age in Canadian's male tennis? 24 ranked players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #2132
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

i think its the golden age of junior tennis in canada yes

but to me i cant call this the golden age of mens tennis because while it is a great thing to have so many ranked players very little of them are actually making an impact on the tour. If we had like 4 or 5 guys in the top 100 then that to me would be a golden era of mens tennis in canada or if we had more guys than just milos making noise on the atp tour

i guess its just different ideas of what the golden age idea actually mean to people

Last edited by misty1 : 07-10-2012 at 03:48 PM.
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #2133
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
If we had like 4 or 5 guys in the top 100 then that to me would be a golden era of mens tennis in canada
Wow, misty, you are not known for being optimistic, but it sounds to me like you are dreaming higher than I would.

I would have thought 3 would be enough to make our "golden age", but I would be happy to find out there is even better in store.
Gonzil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #2134
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzil View Post
Wow, misty, you are not known for being optimistic, but it sounds to me like you are dreaming higher than I would.

I would have thought 3 would be enough to make our "golden age", but I would be happy to find out there is even better in store.
a change from my usual pecisim no?

i thought at some point we've had 3 in the top 100 before but im not sure..i know we've had 2
Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #2135
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i think its the golden age of junior tennis in canada yes

but to me i cant call this the golden age of mens tennis because while it is a great thing to have so many ranked players very little of them are actually making an impact on the tour. If we had like 4 or 5 guys in the top 100 then that to me would be a golden era of mens tennis in canada or if we had more guys than just milos making noise on the atp tour

i guess its just different ideas of what the golden age idea actually mean to people
24 ranked players has nothing to do with juniors.

When I joined MTF, Canada had 3 players in the top 665. One at 88, 318 and 468.

Now we have 8, plus Bester who was last week, 7 of which are in the top 350.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #2136
country flag misty1
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
24 ranked players has nothing to do with juniors.

When I joined MTF, Canada had 3 players in the top 665. One at 88, 318 and 468.

Now we have 8, plus Bester who was last week, 7 of which are in the top 350.
like i said its a great accomplishment but i guess it just depends on how you define the golden age idea

im proud of the guys though, dont get me wrong
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #2137
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the rankings for players in top 1000, as of 9 July:

23 Raonic, Milos (CH 21) (start of year: 31)
105 Pospisil, Vasek (CH 95) (start of year: 119)
132 Dancevic, Frank (CH 65) (start of year: 151)
157 Polansky, Peter (CH!) (start of year: 285)
224 Chvojka, Erik (CH 217) (start of year: 268)
278 Diez, Steven (CH 270) (start of year: 363)
334 Duclos, Pierre-Ludovic (CH 229) (start of year: 249)
573 Peliwo, Filip (CH 570) (start of year: 864)
724 Pokrajac, Milan (CH 411) (start of year: 839)
961 Krainik, Pavel (CH 926) (start of year: 999)
974 Bester, Philip (CH 229) (start of year: 391)

Career high for Peter.

Bester has got almost no points left. Duclos is heading in the wrong direction.

Also of note: Nestor and Mirnyi widened their lead over the Bryans - not that they did anything at Wimby, but the Bryans failed to defend a title.

Back on the singles, I am hoping we can get 4 players in the top 150 soon. Whether or not it would count as a "golden age", it would be terrific!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #2138
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

What the heck is going on with Phillip Bester? He's almost out of the top 1000! Seems like his injuries have really derailed his career. I wonder if he will call it quits. Also, PLD is going down the ranks, wtf! He qualified for Rosmalen and his rank drops. ugh.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #2139
Snowwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg6 View Post
What the heck is going on with Phillip Bester? He's almost out of the top 1000! Seems like his injuries have really derailed his career. I wonder if he will call it quits. Also, PLD is going down the ranks, wtf! He qualified for Rosmalen and his rank drops. ugh.
Bester has been injured almost all year. PLD has lost almost all year, no surprises really.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #2140
country flag mayumashu

mayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad PLD couldn't play more on grass - he played very commendably against Ferrer and in qualies at Newport. Obviously Bester needs to play for as long as he was off to regain his form - I for one hopes he sticks to it for a couple more years anyway and if he happens to stay healthy, I can see him inside the top 200.
mayumashu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #2141
country flag misty1
Banned!

Its unfortunate about peter because a couple seasons ago i thought that by now he could have been where vasek is
Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #2142
Snowwy

Quote:
Its unfortunate about peter because a couple seasons ago i thought that by now he could have been where vasek is
Maybe he will be some day?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #2143
country flag Gonzil

Quote:
i thought at some point we've had 3 in the top 100 before but im not sure..i know we've had 2
I have done some research into this question (surely there is a faster way of finding out) and the answer is yes. On 31 July 1989 we had 3 in the top 100 (just!):

88 Sznajder, Andrew (CAN)
98 Laurendeau, Martin (CAN)
100 Wostenholme, Martin (CAN)

On that day there were also 3 others in the top 200:

115 Michibata, Glenn (CAN)
154 Connell, Grant (CAN)
167 Pridham, Chris (CAN)

If we are looking for a golden age the period around then (late 1980s, early 1990s) looks like it. I have made a diagram of players in top 200 and it is thick with players in that era, thinning out until in the late 1990s there were only 2 in the top 200 - Nestor and Lareau. From then until recently, there were mostly just 2, sometimes 3.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #2144
Snowwy

Choi lost today 60 64
Old 07-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #2145
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that PLD thrived on grass. I bet if the whole calendar year was played on grass, PLD would be in the top 200 by now. His game suits it well, I think.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote