2011 Regular Season - Conference Tournaments upcoming! - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #91
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - Conference battles getting started! USC beats UCLA 5-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
I saw that. I am dissapointed. Pepperdine had the team to make a decent run especially with the NCAA's being in California this year.

The demise of Tennessee continues. Really it comes out of nowhere. They were blitzed 6-1 by Mississippi State on Friday. Only Sandgren won. This team is just a top heavy team now. Jones,Chaplin and weak at the bottom. Even the top is suffering with Rhyne(Whyne) Williams being as volatile as he is. Apparently after the result was decided against Miss State he just walked off the court and gave up the match.

Tennessee has now regressed to a distant 4th in the national title picture and can slip even lower if they lose to teams like Miss State 6-1.

Maybe they are in a rut and will dig out before the NCAA's. But they must find a spark soon. Because they could very well lose to Ole Miss tomorrow as well.
That's disappointing for the Vols, and poor behavior from Rhyne if he did do that. Definitely sounds like they need to get back on track or they could be upset in the NCAAs
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #92
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - #32 Miss. State def. #4 Tennessee 6-1! #1 UVA d. #10 Duke,

Ozone, Wake Forest tied with Louisville 3-3, with deciding match just starting. lee vs Carter

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #93
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - #32 Miss. State def. #4 Tennessee 6-1! #1 UVA d. #10 Duke,

Whatta win for the Deacs yesterday on the last match at Leighton Stadium. Freshman Adam Lee with the 3-3 deciding win. http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/spo...040611aaa.html

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #94

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys time to step up the coverage. Big weekend in the ACC,SEC and all over the country. march madness is over, the ATP has minor toruanements this weekend. I will be attending UNC/Clemson today. I plan to come back with a mega report(including pics and video). I will do the same for the Duke match Sunday.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #95
country flag darklucia

darklucia is on a distinguished road

I'm going to UW/Stanford today and UW/Cal tomorrow. It shall be awesome (hopefully).
darklucia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #96

This is the one that hurts

17 UNC def 58 Clemson 4-3

Prior to the match I said we had to take doubles 2,5 and 6. We took doubles 2 and 6.

One thing you can always count on when you play UNC is the cheerleaders(UNc players who are too low to play). Yelling about 3 different time after every point with no regard for who just won the point.

Doubles:

We took the doubles point in surprising fashion. This is what gave us the chance to win today. Rigsby/Y.Maden and #1 destroyed the 21st ranked dubs team in the nation 8-2. Bolona/D Maden were abel to clinch the point for the Tigers at #3. Up 1-0 we are in with a chance now.

Singles: (by order of finish)

1: 38 Hernandez(UNC) def DiFazio(Clemson) 6-0 6-4
Despite how well you may be playing, sometimes you just play someone who is flat out better than you. That is what happened to DiFazio today. Hernandez played one of the best sest I have seen in college tennis in the 1st set. DiFazio could not control any of the points because Hernandez was connecting with power and consisteny on the forehand side. He dictated play and left no room for DiFazio to get a foothold. In the 2nd set, DiFazio was able to get a little more competitive and actually took a 4-2 lead. But Hernandez never once looked disturbed he knew he was in control. He rattled of 4 straight games to take the match. 1-1

3: Hardy(UNC) def Galloway(Clemson) 6-1 6-4

Hardy played very well in the 1st set. Galloway has lost the ability to finish points. He cannot hit the ball flat and ends up always making an error about 5 shots into a rally. Hardy was not fored to go for a whole lot. Hardy led 6-1 5-1, looking like an absolute beatdown. But Galloway rallied a little to make Hardy sweat at the end. I would suggest not playing Galloway next match. he needs a break. 2-1 UNC

2: Y.Maden(Clemson) def Boyajian(UNC) 6-4 6-0
Maden used the exact same formula he used to beat Spir of GT to beat Boyajian. Get off to a slow start, then sneak out the 1st set and then rolw in the 2nd. The key part of the match was at 4-3 Boyajian. Yannick won 2 very long games to take a 5-4 lead, from then on it was all Maden. Everyone thought this would be the deciding match because they were still in the 1st set when every other court was in the 2nd. But Yannick won the 2nd set very quickly. He is on a roll and quickly becoming an ACC force. 2-2

The bottom 3 matches remained. Each team needing 2 out of 3 to win the match.

4: Burkhardt(UNC) def Meza(Clemson) 6-4 1-6 6-4
The heartbreaker. Meza and Burkhardt were neck and neck the whole time. I began watching this one in the 3rd. Burkhardt's game was nothing spectacular and Meza largely controlled the points, however he is very error prone and allowed Burkhardt into the match with errors. Meza had a break point at 3-2 to take a 4-2 lead but wasn't able to convert. Burkhardt was then able to take control and win 6-4. This is a match I expected Meza to lose but I was proud of his effort in this one. I thought it would not be this close, considering Burkhardt's most recent win.(3 and 1 over Jarmere Jenkins). Meza has improved as the year has gone on. He still has significant technical issues with his strokes, but he has done well to overcome them.

5: Parker(UNC) def Pietrucha(Clemson) 3-6 6-1 6-3
I cringed when I saw Pietrucha walking to the chair on court 5. I don't understand why not play Dom Maden here today. Dom has been very solid all year and one of the ACC's most promising up and comers. He had one bad match vs Maryland but that was it. But Pietrucha went on the shock me by winning the first set. He looked solid. Then got smacked in the 2nd. His match was continuing on court 5, far away from the other 2 remaining matches on courts 4 and 6. He took a 3-2 lead. Then lost 4 straight games. Not sure what happened because I was watching 4 and 6. I think Dom would have won, or even Rigsby who played fantastic in doubles.

6: Hilsman(Clemson) def Hunter(UNC) 6-3 5-7 6-2
Shocking to see Hilsman playing 6 today. 1st time he has played since getting double bageled by Matteo Fago of Tennessee. I questioned the decision. However Hilsman played very well. I like his game, he takes the ball early and uses the angles well. Hunter was a goofy player, always running around his forehand to hit a backhand. Hislman had a 6-3 5-3 lead and had 2 match points. He was unable to win and lost the set 5-7. He was able to win in the end but I wonder if things wuld have been different had he not blown the lead and won in 2. We would have had a comfortable lead and maybe relaxed Meza and Pietrucha. Hilsman raced out to a 3-0 lead in the 3rd set, a strong response after blowing the 2nd set. Then Hunter took a long medical timeout to kill Hilsman's momentum. But Hilsman was unfazed and finished off his match in anti-climatic fashion after the match had been clinched.

The crowd was good, however there were times when two boistrous UNC players were louder than the whole Clemson crowd.

This loss is a tough one. It's nice that we can compete with the 17th team in the country so well. But its one he had to win. Duke is next I just don't see how the team can regroup quick enough to compete with a very strong Duke team.

Videos will be up later.

videos:

#3 doubles breaks to take a 6-4 lead

Clemson clinches doubles point as Juan Bolona and Dom Maden win 8-5 at #3 dubs.

Hodge-podge of matches and surrounding fans.

Hernandez closes out DiFazio

Cal Hilsman attempts to close out Hunter at #6. He's up 6-3 5-3. This is a full game

Meza just misses a break point. Would have put him up 4-2 in 3rd set.

UNC secures a 3-2 lead on Burkhardt's win over Meza. This is the match point

Last edited by out_here_grindin : 04-09-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #97

Anyone wanting to watch some college tennis. Georgia vs Florida right now. Garrapiz vs Bangoura to decide it (blockbuster match)

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-...id-stream.html

Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 AM   #98
country flag darklucia

No. 9 Stanford 4, No. 22 Washington 3

It surprisingly came down to the doubles, though Stanford clinched at 4-1. Good wins for UW anyway at #2, 5 and 6 singles.

Doubles
1) (4) Klahn/Thacher (Stan) def. (31) McMorrow/Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 8-4
2) Lin/Kandath (Stan) def. (69) Kildahl/Obenaus (UW), 8-6
3) Bots/Schmidt (UW) def. (67) Kelly/Clayton (Stan), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2

The doubles point loss was a heartbreaker as Stanford got the late break in a very tight #2 doubles match. #1 doubles was fun to watch and Klahn/Thatcher definitely had great communication and volleys.

Singles (Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5)
1) (11) Bradley Klahn (Stan) def. (74) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 6-4, 6-2
Jeevan was just outclassed. He usually plays with good variety but he was throwing the kitchen sink out (more drop shots than usual at least). I didn't see too much of the second set but Jeevan's forehands were being returned with interest. I guess Bradley Klahn is back on the right track?

2) (68) Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. (32) Ryan Thacher (Stan), 6-3, 6-4
Ryan Thacher looked off. Kyle McMorrow was just more solid and played very smart. He really does a nice job being patient and sometimes he sliced Thacher to death. One of the fans joked that he had been taking lessons from "Smiley", one of our UW women's team members who is pretty famous for grinding it out.

3) (60) Alex Clayton (Stan) def. (85) Martin Kildahl (UW), 6-4, 6-3
Alex Clayton's forehand is pretty big and took advantage of Kildahl's not so consistent backhand. Kildahl slices a lot (and not in a good way) and probably too much, though his two-hander is not the best. I guess this might have just been a bad match-up for Martin, who is only ranked so high after beating Sanam Singh of UVA and pretty much overpowered Singh.

4) Denis Lin (Stan) def. Daniel Schmidt (UW), 6-3, 6-4
Lin was already up a break in the second set before I saw the end of this match. It looked pretty tight.

5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Greg Hirshman (Stan), 6-2, 7-6 (6)
Hirshman appeared to take an injury time out sometime in the first set. I was too far away to see. Second set Obenaus let Hirshman back in. Tiebreak was pretty tight. Obenaus didn't let a netcord/fall (he fell when he was going for a volley off a shot that hit the net) and whatever Hirshman said afterwards (I didn't hear it) get to him. Even his teammates (I was standing right by them) said it was a douche move. Anyway, nice win for Obenaus, one of my favorites.

6) Marton Bots (UW) def. Matt Kandath (Stan), 7-6 (3), 6-3
Didn't see much of this match. Kandath was really talking to himself and frustrated. Just too many mistakes by Kandath. Bradley Klahn was trying to talk him up towards the end. I was kind of distracted by trying to eavesdrop on the Stanford team that was seated on the benches right by me.

Last edited by darklucia : 04-09-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #99

Stanford has no depth. And if their top guys aren't firing (which is not that rare) they go down easy.

I saw Washington edged Cal 4-3 today. Were you there darklucia? How was the atmosphere after the epic at court 2?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #100
country flag darklucia

I was there today. It was amazing. I'll post more about it tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #101
country flag darklucia

No. 22 Washington 4; No. 10 California 3

Doubles: A very heartbreaking loss at the #2 spot in doubles that ended up giving Cal the doubles point. I wasn't actually surprised per se that UW blinked in the tiebreak since they seemed to have a harder time holding serve to get to the tiebreak. I was worried with the loss that we were going to suffer another 4-3 defeat.

1) (31) McMorrow/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. (22) Andrews/Konigsfeldt (Cal), 8-3
2) Zerbini/Dahan (Cal) def. (69) Kildahl/Obenaus (UW), 9-8 (1)
3) McLachlan/McLachlan (Cal) def. Bots/Schmidt (UW), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2

Singles: Amazing. I was wandering so I caught more of the drama than the matchplay. I'll recap in order of finish.

6) Marton Bots (UW) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal), 6-3, 6-2
Just a routine win and a nice weekend for Bots.

4) Christoffer Konigsfeldt (Cal) def. Daniel Schmidt (UW), 6-1, 6-2
I have to admit I haven't watched Schmidt play much so I haven't figured out why he keeps being beaten in Pac-10 play. He just sprayed the ball too many times from the little I saw.

We were at 2-1 Cal for a long time as these next few matches went to three sets and the #5 match finally went to set #2.

1) (74) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. (17) Pedro Zerbini (Cal), 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
I saw most of set #1 and set #3 so I'm not sure what Zerbini did to turn it around in the second, since I began my wanderings after Zerbini called an injury timeout for a foot issue down 5-2 in the first. In the third Neduchezhiyan won 6 in a row after losing the first game. It looked like he played like he did in the first set with good positioning and forcing errors.

3) (96) Nick Andrews (Cal) def. (85) Martin Kildahl (UW), 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
I caught more drama than play here, especially at the third set. The Cal players were standing right by the fence and yelling really loudly which irked Kildahl. Andrews also pissed Kildahl off by the way he celebrated winning points off of bad Kildahl mistakes. Kildahl's weakness in the backhand was exploited and he was coming to net way too much in the final set, maybe in a move of desperation.

5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Ben McLachlan (Cal), 7-5, 7-5
Obenaus just grinded this one out. I saw part of the first set and there were a ton of deuces on both sides. Obenaus' family was here for the weekend (he's from Austria) so he probably got a lot more cheering than he was used to. I'm assuming the second set was like the first.

2) (68) Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. (65) Carlos Cueto (Cal), 2-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (8)
In the first set Cueto was dictating with his huge forehand. He called for a trainer when up 5-2 in the first for a foot issue, but it didn't appear to affect his movement. In the second Kyle managed to get a better foothold in the rallies and play like a backboard. He managed a late break only to be broken back and then pulled through a tight tiebreak. It was around 4-all in the third when everyone focused in on his court. It was great, with former UW tennis players and Obenaus' family and the crowd of diehards finally drowning out and competing with most of the Cal cheers. Cueto had 2? match points when McMorrow served at 5-4. He then started to cramp when he was serving at 5-5 and McMorrow had so many chances to break in that game, but Cueto was still very dangerous with his forehand but his movement was definitely compromised enough that McMorrow could find more and more openings, and McMorrow still kept being killed by Cueto's dropshots (McMorrow would get to them but the next shot was either out or easily dealt with). At this point everyone was cheering a ton between points and we were pretty vocal about Cueto taking tons of time between points. I think Cueto might have had another match point when McMorrow served at 5-6. The tiebreak was crazy. Both players got tight and played boldly at different times. McMorrow was still able to run almost everything down and return it, while Cueto's forehand was still pretty sharp. McMorrow went up a quick minibreak which was taken back just as quickly. He had to save 2 match points at 6-4. He won with an ace. He pretty much started jumping up and down in celebration even before the ace was confirmed, and then his teammates mobbed him.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #102
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Nice reports guys. Wow the Huskies are looking good. Looked like a thriller at Clemson Jeff, sorry bout the close loss. I know all to well how that feels.

How about the effort from the Deacs on senior day vs #1 Virginia. Senior Jonny Wolff at #1 was the only player to take a set of Domijan, and he almost beat the sasquatch, losing 6-4 in the 3rd. Atkinson got probably the best win of his career, beating #25 Sanam Singh 7-5 in the 3rd. Must have been an epic match to watch. Tripper Carleton lost a heart-breaker to #5 Mike Shabaz at #2, 7-6(3) in the 3rd set. Kreyman beat #120 Justin Shane at #4 in 3 sets.

Of course our best tennis comes at the very end of the reg. season. Smh. Hopefully we can continue this play through May however. Go Deacs

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #103

Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - Conference Tournaments upcoming!

UVA played a weakened line-up but that didn't matter since the guys at 5 and 6 still won. It was UVA's top guys that struggled. Wake's top 4 rebounded and made it a nailbitter out of nowhere. Strong effort from the Deacs, following a bad loss to Virginia Tech. Shabaz playing in the Talahassee challenger BTW.

Duke killed Clemson today. Not much to say about it. Galloway almost had a nice end to his career after taking a 4-0 tiebreak lead over Mengel. Then lost 10-7. He was the only one to win a set.

two videos I took today.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #104
country flag darklucia

Thanks for the videos! Wish I had a videocamera.

Looks like Tennessee is back on track with a 7-0 victory over Florida.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #105

Yeah that was a beatdown. It seems that that is a bad matchup for Florida because they got hammered by Tennessee last year as well. I don't think its because UT is just so much better. Georgia slipped by Florida 4-3 on Friday.