2011 Regular Season - Conference Tournaments upcoming! - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #76
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - Conference battles getting started! USC beats UCLA 5-2

Luinir if your around you can check out the college tennis right now. LSU at Georgia.

Georgia should win but LSU is getting better and is better than their ranking (44) indicates.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #77
country flag Luinir

Luinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - Conference battles getting started! USC beats UCLA 5-2

Aaah, i just missed it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #78

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

I went down to Columbia to watch the match. I went to the outdoor courts but was told that the match had been moved indoors because of an ITA wind rule. There was too much wind apparently. Their indoor center only had 4 courts meaning a long day was in store. There were a good amount of Clemson fans there.

Doubles:

South Carolina wwas ahead in all matches early and looked poised to take the doubles point. But Clemson fought back to win on courts 3 and 2. Court 2 faced 3 match points but ended up winning to clinch the doubles point.

Singles:

1: Machado(USC) def 106 DiFazio(Clemson) 7-5 7-6(4)
Both players play a similiar style, no pace and crafty angles. Machado has a better backhand and used it well. DiFazio was winning points when he would make Machado run but didn't do it often enough to win. Machado had been on a losing streak. Machado laso had to be ovveruled by the chair umpire 3 times during the match because of bad call. DiFazio had a 5-1 lead in the 2nd set a blew it.(I did not see how this happened as I was on the other end watching the conclusion of Meza's match at the time)

2: Y.Maden(Clemson) def Kostanov(USC) 6-4 6-4
Fairly straight-forward match. Yanick was in control the wnitre match, Kostanov has a weird game. I'm not exactly sure what it was, because he didn't hit hard but also didn't play angles well.

3: Cox(USC) def Galloway(Clemson) 6-1 4-6 7-5
This was a battle. Cox seemingly was in cruise control up 6-1 3-1. Everythign Galloway was doing Cox was absorbing and dominating. Galloway was leaving way too many balls short in the court for Cox to attack. Out of nowhere Galloway made a comeback to take the 2nd set 6-4. Just sheer willpower won him that 2nd set. He rode the momentum to a 4-2 2nd set lead. Cox then won 3 in a row to make it 5-4, but Galloway fought off 3 match points to knot it at 5. But then Galloway fell apart, making several errors in a row to give Cox the 7-5 win.
Cox is from Myrtle Beach, he is not a big guy but is very quick and smart on the court. He has a great mentality as well because he never changed his attitude the entire match and is only a freshman. Unofrtunately for him he has a 2-hand forehand which is a big limitation if he wants to get better.

4: Meza(Clemson) def Jones(USC) 7-5 7-5
I only saw the conclusion of the 2nd set which Meza was able to fight through the erratic Nick Jones. Both players were big hitters and both are highly inconsistent. It was a good win for Meza

5: D.Maden(Clemson) def Pulsfort(USC) 7-5 6-2
This was a fun match to watch. I am a big fan of Dom's game because he attacks when he can but does not go for too much. He makes his opponent pay when he drops a ball short. Pulsfort is a power hitter who can absolutely crack the ball. that usually can intimidate a player, but Dom Maden can hit it just as hard off the forehand wing. Pulsfort is a wild player and had no plan at all. He is a character on court but Dom shut him up after the 1st set and then cruised through the 2nd.

6: Rigsby(Clemson) def Menzies(USC) 6-2 6-4
The Rigsby revival continues. Not really a contest as Rigsby was the better player. Menzies had a slight tremor of momentum but it was shut off quickly. Rigsby sereved very well(he has the best serve on the team).

Overall it is nice to break the 3 year streak. Nice win. But more important matches loom over the next week. 3 home matches in the ACC. Wake on Friday, NC State on Sunday, GT on Wednesday. We must win 2 out of 3 to have any chance of the NCAA tournament. NC State is a must win and we must split the Wake and GT matches. All of them are ranked above us but all are winnable.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #79
country flag darklucia

darklucia is on a distinguished road

Good luck to your Tigers! I'm unfortunately working during the UW-Arizona match so I'm not sure how much I'll catch. I'm definitely going to see UW-Pepperdine on Saturday, which I'm really excited about. I feel like UW has a strong top 3 and so does Pepperdine, so it will be really exciting to watch those battles.
darklucia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #80

Those will be decent matches.

Big day in ACC tennis today.

Wake Forest at Clemson - Unfortunately I won't be able to get there until like 5:30, so I may catch the very end. I was very dissapointed because I was looking forward to this match a lot. Hopefully it goes real long so I can see a decent amount.

NC State at Georgia Tech - The Jackets should win this one, especially is Pulgar can't go again.

Virginia at Miami - I expect UVA to have a strong showing after a sluggish match vs Texas. UVA in a rout

Virginia Tech at Florida State - Tough one to call. Virginia Tech is probably the better team but I will pick FSU at home to end their recent slump.

and Duke and UNC will rout Maryland and Boston College

Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #81

So Cal vs Stanford live now. With video

Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #82

Peerakit Siributwong with an epic comeback to clinch a 7-5 3rd set win to give 30 Oklahoma a 4-3 upset over 4 Texas. Siributwong was down 5-2 in the final set before rattling off 5 straight games.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #83
country flag darklucia

No. 7 Pepperdine 5, No. 20 Washington 2
Doubles
1) (29) McMorrow/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Finn Tearney/Alex Llompart (Pep), 8-5
2) Jenson Turner/Sebastian Fanselow (Pep) def. (68) Kildahl/Obenaus (UW), 8-5
3) Bots/Schmidt (UW) def. Hugh Clarke/Alfredo Moreno (Pep), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1

Singles
1) (17) Sebastian Fanselow (Pep) def. (86) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 7-5, 6-7 (5), (10-3)
2) (49) Finn Tearney (Pep) def. (52) Kyle McMorrow (UW), 6-2, 6-1
3) Alejandro Moreno (Pep) def. (71) Martin Kildahl (UW), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4) Mousheg Hovhannisyan (Pep) def. Daniel Schmidt (UW), 6-4, 6-4\
5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. David Sofaer (Pep), 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2
6) Hugh Clarke (Pep) def. Marton Bots (UW), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 3, 1, 5

I like this Pepperdine team, they are definitely all into the team concept, yelling encouragement to each other almost all the time. I watched the odd court singles (we were inside today because of the rain) and mostly focused on the #1 singles match. Even without Llompart in the singles (I believe he rolled his ankle during the doubles), Pepperdine overpowered UW, though I'm not really surprised since I think UW and Pepperdine are structured pretty similarly in team strength. As for the #2 singles match, I didn't watch it but yesterday McMorrow looked really tired at the end of his match so that could have carried over to today's match.

I thought it was interesting that Fanselow would grunt or say something sometimes right after his opponent hit a shot, in addition to his usually grunt. Some of the people in the crowd thought he was saying "come on" which isn't unreasonable because he was saying "come on" all the time between points.

Looking forward to checking out Stanford and Cal in 2 weeks.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #84

Good win for Pepperdine. I think they are a dangerous team in the tournament when it comes around. Your right about Washington and Pepperdine having similiar strenghts.

Wake Forest at Clemson, Wake wins 6-1

Dissapointing. I didn't get to see much. I got there right as Yannick Maden led 5-2 in the 3rd set. He then lost 5 straight game to Wolff of Wake. Got tight as #### and blew a match point.

1: 106 DiFazio(Clemson) def 88 Carleton(Wake) 6-4 6-2
Great win for DiFazio. His ranking is going upward.

2: 70 Wolff(Wake) def Y.Maden(Clemson) 6-3 4-6 7-5
Yannick blew a 5-2 3rd set lead as said above

3: Atkinson(Wake) def Meza(Clemson) 6-7 6-2 6-2
So Meza is moved up to 3, decent battle from him against a solid player for Wake

4: Kreyman(Wake) def Galloway(Clemson) 6-2 6-0
Hard to see Galloway fade away like this in his senior season. He has a sure win last year and the end of his Sophomore year. This is the 2nd straight year Kreyman has killed a Tiger

5. Hopkins(Wake) def D.Maden(Clemsin) 6-4 7-6
Hopkins moved up to 5. I thought Dom would win this.

6. Leslie(Wake) def Pietrucha(Clemson) 6-3 6-2
Why o why do you play Pietrucha at 6 today? Rigsby has been on a roll as of late. And is he was sick or soemthing why not go with Moran, why has he stopped playing all of a sudden? Or play Bolona there. I don't understand that move

Also doubles was shook up. Dettinger was moved into Clemson's doubles teams. Why in a vital ACC game? I don't know.

Bad loss

Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #85
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I haven't been posting on here for awhile. Deacs finally get a win. Bout time.

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #86

Wake Forest and Clemson both beat NC State 5-2.

Wake however did fall to Georgia Tech 6-1 sunday. Clemson plays GT at home tomorrow. I am stoked for that one.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #87

Duke and Virginia tomorrow. 4 top 10 players will be playing in that match. It will be a battle. UVA beat Duke in absolute wars last year

Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #88
country flag darklucia

Not sure if I should post this here, but big news for the Pepperdine tennis team (source is http://www.pepperdinesports.com/genrel/033111aaa.html)

March 31, 2011

MALIBU, Calif. -- Pepperdine University recently discovered that it had failed to properly administer financial aid awards to a number of its student-athletes. After discovering the error, Pepperdine contacted the NCAA and is taking immediate steps to rectify this issue and to review all of its athletics compliance processes.

"This was entirely an administrative matter," commented Steve Potts, Director of Athletics, "It is most unfortunate and regrettable. We are committed to maintaining a culture of complete compliance and accountability in regard to NCAA regulations."

Potts added that the University believes that as a result of these errors, it would be inappropriate for the men's tennis, men's volleyball and baseball teams to participate in postseason competition this academic year. He also stated Pepperdine will work closely with the affected student-athletes to determine the best courses of action going forward.

The University deeply regrets this error and will fully cooperate with the West Coast Conference, the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation and the NCAA to properly and completely resolve these matters.

Additionally, the West Coast Conference put out today the following release about how Pepperdine's withdrawal from postseason play will affect upcoming regular-season and championship events.

SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- The West Coast Conference has announced the following actions following Pepperdine University's decision to self-impose postseason penalties in baseball and men's tennis for the 2010-11 academic year.

The conference will have no further public comment on the subject following these actions:

Conference Statement
"The West Coast Conference is committed to working with Pepperdine University in order to help resolve this matter and create a sustainable model of compliance with NCAA regulations in the future," West Coast Conference Commissioner Jamie Zaninovich said. "As soon as we were aware of Pepperdine's self imposed postseason ban, it was essential that we act quickly to adjust our championship and NCAA qualifying procedures for baseball and men's tennis."

Baseball
---- Due to its self-imposed sanctions, Pepperdine is not eligible to win the WCC Championship or participate in the NCAA Tournament.
--- Pepperdine will participate in the 21-game conference schedule that begins on Friday, April 8 and all games played against the Waves will count in the conference standings.
---- In the event Pepperdine finishes in first place in the standings, the automatic bid to the NCAA Championship and the conference title will be awarded to the second place finisher.
--- Pepperdine baseball student-athletes will be eligible for individual all-conference awards and statistical titles.

Men's Tennis
--- Pepperdine has withdrawn from the 2011 West Coast Conference Tennis Championships (April 21-23 in San Diego, Calif.) because of the self-imposed postseason ban. The Pepperdine women will still compete in this year's WCC Tennis Championships.
--- With the withdrawal of the Pepperdine men, the #1 seed in the men's bracket will now receive a first-round bye on Thursday, April 21 and will play the winner of the match between the #4 seed and the #5 seed in the semifinals.
--- On the second day of competition (Friday, April 22), the highest remaining seed in the consolation bracket will receive a bye directly into Saturday's fifth place match.
--- The team that loses Friday's consolation semifinal will automatically be awarded seventh place.
--- Pepperdine men's tennis student-athletes will be eligible for individual all-conference awards.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #89

I saw that. I am dissapointed. Pepperdine had the team to make a decent run especially with the NCAA's being in California this year.

The demise of Tennessee continues. Really it comes out of nowhere. They were blitzed 6-1 by Mississippi State on Friday. Only Sandgren won. This team is just a top heavy team now. Jones,Chaplin and weak at the bottom. Even the top is suffering with Rhyne(Whyne) Williams being as volatile as he is. Apparently after the result was decided against Miss State he just walked off the court and gave up the match.

Tennessee has now regressed to a distant 4th in the national title picture and can slip even lower if they lose to teams like Miss State 6-1.

Maybe they are in a rut and will dig out before the NCAA's. But they must find a spark soon. Because they could very well lose to Ole Miss tomorrow as well.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #90

ACC recap for Sunday

Virginia def Duke 5-2: UVA is almost a solid lock in doubles and #2 singles. Shabaz lost his 2nd in a row to Hernandez(UVA fans comment on Hernandez's play of you were there). Jenkins is in a mini-slump. But Virginia dominated in the rest, so 5-2 but wasn't that close.

Duke 6, Virginia Tech 1: Actually kind of a struggle. Virginia Tech battles at 5 and 6 and won on court 4. Virginia Tech is showing a little bit of fight now late in the year.

Wake 4 FSU 3: Tripper Carleton ends his massive slump in style, thumping Bowles 6-1 6-0. Blake Davis was crushed at 3 by Atkinson 1 and 1. Strong performance by Wake. Their individual talent has never been the issue, its the team chemistry and mental toughness of the team that is questionable.

Georgia Tech def Maryland 5-2: Horny flat out sucks.

Miami 5, NC State 2:Expected result but unexpected where the points came from. Miami is usally a deep team but was beaten at 5 and 6. NC State, more top heavy was beaten at 1-4. Matches 2-4 were all 6-4 6-4 to Miami.

Clemson and Boston College: No clue because BC's website has zilch on it. Somebody must be playing a match to rival Isner/Mahut.