2011 Regular Season - Conference Tournaments upcoming! - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #61
country flag Pigpen Stinks

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - #20 Cal beats #5 UCLA; #23 Michigan beats Cunha-less Duke 4

#29 UNC picks up a nice road win yesterday over a hot #25 Vandy team, after trailing 3-1. Last two matches both went 6-4 in the third.
Pigpen Stinks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #62
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - #20 Cal beats #5 UCLA; #23 Michigan beats Cunha-less Duke 4

New Rankings out today. These are the 1st computer rankings of the year as opposed to polls.

Top 75

A few things really jump out.

Michigan jumps from 23 to 8. Crazy jump for a win over a depleted Duke. Michigan is good but 8 is way too high.

Illinois is too high at 4

Minnesota jumps to 16. Again this is too high. They haven't really had any great wins.

I wonder why Cal only moved to 14 after beating UCLA while Michigan jumped to 8 after beating Duke (UCLA is better than Duke)

High risers:

UNLV from Unranked to 44
Cal Poly Unranked to 55
Cornell from 66 to 40
Maryland 63 to 45
Virginia Commonweath 75 to 58
San Diego 42 to 25
Michigan 23 to 8
UC Irvine 52 to 38
New Mexico 60 to 46
DePaul 64 to 52
Tulas 38 to 27

Free fallers:

Hawaii 43 to 74
Colmubia 45 to 75
TCU 47 to 68
LSU 36 to 53
Fresno State 31 to 48
Ole Miss 18 to 31
Baylor 11 to 28
ETSU 50 to 63
Arkansas 58 to 69

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #63

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

7 Southern Cal def 6 UCLA 5-2

doubles point to USC

Singles: (maroon USC, UCLA Blue)

1: 1 Johnson def 43 Kosakowski 6-2 6-2
2: Inbar def 19 Nguyen 6-4 6-2
3: 44 Poldma def 99 Thompson 6-2 6-3
4: 56 Sarmiento def Puget 3-6 6-4 (10-7)
5: Gomez def 108 Tabatruong 6-2 6-1
6: Seguso def Sundling 6-3 6-2

Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #64

I am going to the Clemson vs Florida State match today. I had been very excited about this onebut since it is raining it looks like it will be played indoors. That decreases the experience about 50%. Still I will take some pictures and have a report on the match later.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #65

36 Florida State 4, 51 Clemson 3

Doubles: FSU stacked doubles. They put Bowles/Davis at 3 which is obviosuly a stronger team than #2 which was Reed/Bucaro. #1 doubles was the swing match and we lost.

singles:

FSU 1: 21 Mizradeh def Y.Maden 6-3 6-2
Yannick Maden started strong, broke Mirzadeh at love then had a 40-0 lead on his own serve to go up 2-0. But the game went to 7 deuces and Maden could not capitalize. From that point on Mirzadeh was in control. Mirzadeh's game is weird. Nothing about it stands out. He does not have a ton of power,no one great shot, not great serve, not particularly fast, but something about it just gives of the vibe of being in control. And he was the whole time. Maden didn't really have any openings, his angle based game was thrown off and his normally reliable backhand angles were missing the lines.

Clemson 2: DiFazio def 60 Bowles 6-4 6-4: Strong win for DiFazio. I honestly thought this would be a rout for Bowles based on DiFazio's history vs other lefties. This is probably DiFazio's best win of his career. Bowles never looked comfortable. DiFazio jumped out to a 3-0 lead, in which Bowles was shanking a lot of balls. He looked very tentative on court. The 2nd set was break wars as neither player could hold his serve. It was goos to see DiFazio close it out at 5-5 because he has struggled with that in his career.

FSU 3: Smith def Galloway 4-6 6-4 6-2: Dissapointment of the day. I thought this one would be a win for Galloway. Smith is a weak #3, and Galloway is usually a reliable win. Check that, used to be a reliable win. He has struggled this year. His matches take the longest time to complete and he threw away a 1 set lead which ultimately cost Clemson the match. As usually with Galloway matches his opponent gets used to his pace and starts to get into the match.

FSU 4: Kelly-Houston def Meza 6-3 7-5: Dissapointing loss considering Kelly-Houston had been on a 7 match losing streak prior to this. Meza has dissapointed as well. Looked very sharp at the beggining of the year but he has major issues in his game. He is always falling back when he hits his forehand and he hits it flat and hard, causing a lot of errors that are deep. Since this was on court 4 in the indoor complex it was far away so I don't have any analysis of this particular match.

Clemson 5: D.Maden def Davis 6-2 6-2: Wow. I raised by eyebrows when I saw Blake Davis at 5, thinking it was low for him. But Dom Maden punished Davis from the beggining. This was not a case of Davis being terrible it was a case od Maden taking it. Dom was crushing Davis 2nd serves(Dom Maden has the most powerful forehand on the team). Davis attempted to get himself pumped up early in the 2nd set by yelling, but Maden stayed cool and continued to crack the ball with menace. I am very excited about Dominique Maden's potential at Clemson. He is just a freshman. I think he should move up to 4(or maybe not because he is a good chance at a win at 5)

Clemson 6: Rigsby def Buzaro 4-6 7-6(6) (10-8): Another great chapter to the Rigsby/Bucaro rivalry. This is the 3rd time they have met in college. Eah match going to a 3rd set supertiebreaker, Buzaro had the won the previous 2, by supertiebreak scores of 10-8 and 11-9. But Rigsby got his revenge in another classic between the two. Unfortunately this was on court 4 so I could not see that well. It was a surprise that Rigsby even played #6. Maybe he was put at 6 because of his familiarity with Bucaro. He was placed at 6 over Moran(sick apparently), Hilsman(good thing too) and Bolona(surprising since Bolona played doubles). Rigsby has the most powerful serve on the team, which is why he is a good doubles player for us, but this is his first match in singles in a match that matters since Wake Forest last year where he got trounced 6-1 6-0 by Kreyman.

Overall a good match. Last year we lost to FSU 7-0 with only one close match. We are getting better, playing indoor(rain) gave us a slight edge. But this was a big loss. The matches will only get tougher as the year goes on.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #66
country flag darklucia

darklucia is on a distinguished road

Washington 7 Minnesota 0
Doubles
1) (38) McMorrow/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Dehn/Bonin (Minn), 8-3
2) (52) Kildahl/Obenaus (UW) def. Gallego/Ruddock (Minn), 8-6
3) Bots/Schmidt (UW) def. Wernet/Ramirez (Minn), 8-7 (1)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3

Singles
1) (75) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Rok Bonin (Minn), 6-3, 6-1
2) (61) Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Tobias Wernet (Minn), 3-6, 6-2, (10-7)
3) (71) Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Sebastian Gallego (Minn), 6-1, 6-1
4) Daniel Schmidt (UW) def. Brendan Ruddock (Minn), 6-4, 6-2
5) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Julian Dehn (Minn), 3-6, 7-5, (11-9)
6) Marton Bots (UW) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (Minn), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6, 1, 2, 5

I watched doubles and the even singles matches (2, 4, 6). It was not as competitive as I thought it would be. McMorrow/Nedunchezhiyan (esp. Jeevan) were really effective with the lobs since I saw many Minnesota overheads go into the net. Kildahl/Obenaus had a bunch of match points starting at 7-4 but it appeared that Gallego stepped up his game, especially the returns. Nevertheless they managed to close out #2 doubles with the strong combo of Kildahl's serve and Obenaus at the net.

Singles were pretty much like the scores indicated, though I didn't catch any of #1 or #3 singles. While #5 might have gone to Minnesota had it played out (it looked really tight right up to the end), #2 probably would have stayed with UW since Wernet was down 9-3 or something in the super tiebreak and McMorrow got a little tight and missed quite a few shots.
darklucia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #67

Good report darklucia. You live in the Seattle area I assume. Are you a Washington fan? Share your thought on the Huskie team whenever.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #68
country flag darklucia

darklucia is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome. I'm usually a lurker here but I've recently gotten into college tennis (attending ITA national indoors really got me pumped) and I have no one else to rant about it to so it comes out here...

I'm a grad student at Washington. I'm not really a Washington fan but more of a casual fan of college tennis in general. I hope to go to a few more matches this year (on my list right now is Pepperdine and Stanford, maybe also Cal). I'm still surprised that I only managed to go to one college tennis match last year (and it was on the women's side). I did see Washington play Minnesota 2 years ago but I don't remember the match that well, though I think both teams have more depth now.
darklucia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #69

Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - Conference battles getting started! USC beats UCLA 5-2

Some upsets tonight

USF def FSU 6-1
North Carolina def Texas 5-2: UNC has had a bad start to the year but this is a massive win for them. Only lost 1 singles line.
Notre Dame 5, Illinois 2: Illinois was without Nevolo and Singh for some reason.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #70

Default Re: 2011 Regular Season - Conference battles getting started! USC beats UCLA 5-2

Texas A&M def Ohio State 4-0. Impressive showing from the talented Aggies.

The last few days have been filled with upsets. Goes to show that the if you have a bad day the teams in the 10-30 range are talented enough to beat you. As Texas,Ohio State learned.

I will post later with more scores from the day.

USC vs Texas right now with live video

Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 AM   #71

lots of results this weekend. Anyone have any reports/thoughts/analysis/opinions?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #72

New rankings today. Tennessee jumps Virginia at #1. How? I have no idea considering UVA is undefeated and beat Tennessee.

But does not matter now as Baylor shocks Tennessee 4-3 today. Note that Virginia just pounded Baylor 6-1.

I will try to do a full weekend recap tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #73
country flag Luinir

Luinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, i want to watch collage tennis. Is there a stream for it?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luinir View Post
Hey guys, i want to watch collage tennis. Is there a stream for it?
Georgia,Stanford and Texas A&M have live video for their home matches.

Georgia plays LSU at home on Saturday at 1 eastern time. Link to it

But overall we are very limited with the live video for college tennis.Which is why their are several top players which I have yet to see actually play. Nearly every school has live scores for their home matches though.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #75

A couple of big ACC tilts today.

Wake Forest at Duke

North Carolina at NC State

and Virginia steps out of conference vs Oklahoma