Andy's 2011 - If you fall, say you'll fall for Andy - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #196
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy's 2011 Australian Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Fox View Post
Yeah not going to GM either. Let them rip him apart, I don't give a shit.

At least now I can get a regular sleeping pattern again.
Amen to that last.

In fact I can take a break from tennis and pick up some of the neglected areas of my life.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #197
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTree View Post
I read the first 12 pages of the match thread, my post is on page 4. Clydey's on suicide watch. Safin rules is coming out with his usual anti-Scottish shite, the other trolls are having a field day. Just as you would expect really!

I'm off out for a walk, first bit of sunshine we've seen in about 3 months! to everyone!
I asked the other mods to go deal. I'm not getting involved. Best I stay out of it.

I'm going to get off here and go and do something entirely non-tennis related.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #198
country flag Andi-M

Andi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond repute

I'm less upset than last year too, and its not because I dislike Fed and am fairly fond of Novak. Its because I think last year I was utterly convinced Andy will win a slam, and he played the best tennis of his life in that tournament, nothing has come close to that match vs Nadal since.

This year he had a favorable draw that he took advantage of. Novak was by far playing the better tennis.

If the lovely Soderling had beaten Dolgo im pretty sure a QF exit was on the cards. There are about 5 or 6 players that are better at generic hitting forehands and backhands than he is. simple he needs to accept it.

He can do things those guys can't but he dosent he tries to beat them at their own game. Not working evidently.

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #199
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi-M View Post
I'm less upset than last year too, and its not because I dislike Fed and am fairly fond of Novak. Its because I think last year I was utterly convinced Andy will win a slam, and he played the best tennis of his life in that tournament, nothing has come close to that match vs Nadal since.

This year he had a favorable draw that he took advantage of. Novak was by far playing the better tennis.

If the lovely Soderling had beaten Dolgo im pretty sure a QF exit was on the cards. There are about 5 or 6 players that are better at generic hitting forehands and backhands than he is. simple he needs to accept it.

He can do things those guys can't but he dosent he tries to beat them at their own game. Not working evidently.
Couldn't agree more
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #200
country flag Regenbogen

Regenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond reputeRegenbogen has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I mean, when I think about it objectively it's pretty much what I expected--maybe not as bad a loss, but I didn't truly think he had much of a shot based on how both he and Djokovic were playing. The thing I really hate about this result is that I'm just so worried about how this is going to affect Murray.

For me this year is worse because last year's AO was the least attention I've paid to a major in the last decade because I was having fun in Amsterdam.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #201
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenbogen View Post
Yeah, I mean, when I think about it objectively it's pretty much what I expected--maybe not as bad a loss, but I didn't truly think he had much of a shot based on how both he and Djokovic were playing. The thing I really hate about this result is that I'm just so worried about how this is going to affect Murray.

For me this year is worse because last year's AO was the least attention I've paid to a major in the last decade because I was having fun in Amsterdam.
Lucky sod. You missed his tears.

The side pieces
The Sweet but Dopey Argentine
The Bulgarian Headcase
That Douche from Australia

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Jade Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #202
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I asked the other mods to go deal. I'm not getting involved. Best I stay out of it.

I'm going to get off here and go and do something entirely non-tennis related.
I had a quick walk, it might be sunny outside but it's bloddy freezing! At least I blew some cobwebs away. Try not to dwell :hug;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi-M View Post

Pretty much sums it all up. Great post.

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #203
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

Just came to give all of you some big

Andy keeps putting himself in with a chance to win a GS,and he will win one!. He will have learned a lot today,and will be stronger for the next time.

Take care

Di
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #204
country flag Yazoo.C

Yazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond reputeYazoo.C has a reputation beyond repute

Interview after the final:
Quote:
Q. How hard is it for you at the moment?

ANDY MURRAY: It's better than it was last year. You know, it was obviously tough, disappointing. You know, I thought Novak played unbelievably well. And, yeah, it's tough, but got to deal with it.

Q. Why do you say you feel better this year than last year?

ANDY MURRAY: I just do. That's it. I was in a much worse state last year than I was this year. I don't know why. That's it.

Q. Did you have a feeling at any time you were going to get back into it?

ANDY MURRAY: You always have to try and find a way to get back in. You always have to try and believe. I mean, you know, he defended, I mean, unbelievably well tonight.

So when I got ahead in some games, you know, and even just in points, uhm, you know, he was sticking up lobs that were landing on the baseline, passing shots that were very close to the lines.

So it was quite difficult to find parts of the court where I was getting free points from. You know, I think I broke his serve maybe twice in the third set and still lost it 6 3.

So, you know, I was trying to find a way; I just wasn't able to put enough good points together.

Q. The first two sets, on his serve you only made six points in the first set and again six points in the second set. How do you explain that?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I don't know. I just finished, so I don't know exactly why that would have been.

But, you know, he played a great match. He hardly missed any balls. You know, it wasn't like I was missing loads of returns or making a lot of mistakes off returns. You know, we were getting into a lot of rallies.

I saw the stats up on the thing at the end of the match. Not like he hit way more winners than he. I made way more mistakes than him and he defended very well.

Q. You didn't seem to move as well as you had done in this tournament. Were your energy levels down? Was there an injury problem at all?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I would say the semifinal match was a tough one, a long one. But I felt okay. You know, when it's a Grand Slam final as well, the adrenaline helps. You feel a lot better with that. That definitely helps.

No, that definitely wasn't the reason why I lost.

Q. Can you put your finger on why it just didn't click for you? Wasn't the real Andy Murray out there, was it?

ANDY MURRAY: It was. But he played great. I mean, I would have liked to have played better. But, you know, I think he would have beaten every other player on the tour if he played like that tonight.

He served well. He didn't make many mistakes from the back of the court. He moved really, really well. He hit the ball very clean. That was it.

Q. Agassi lost three finals before he went on to win a career slam. Do you still have belief you can win?

ANDY MURRAY: You know, I want to keep working hard, try and improve. You know, but I said before the final, it's not something that, you know, I don't lose sleep over at night. You know, it's going to be tough for sure for a few days.

But, you know, I want to try and win one, of course. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. You know, I'm just working as hard as I can. I train very hard. You know, I take tennis very seriously.

But, you know, I love my life away from tennis, as well. You know, that's why maybe this year, compared with last, I'm very, very happy off the court. I'm enjoying myself. There's other things to look forward to, too.

Q. Did you get the sense that the first set was always going to be the crucial one today, that that one getting away from you gave him that extra incentive to go for his shots?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I think he definitely loosened up after the first set and started playing better. You know, it was a long first set. The match was even quite long for the scoreline. There was quite a lot of long rallies and stuff.

But, yeah, the first set of all matches in majors are important. But just because you lose the first one, you still have a lot of time to get back into it. You know, I wasn't able to get back into it.

Q. Can you describe how different it is physically and mentally playing in a Grand Slam final as to a regular tour final?

ANDY MURRAY: Physically there's no difference to playing any of the other matches. I mean, mentally, you know, there's a bit more pressure and stuff. But that gets less, you know, after you start the match. It's more the buildup in the beginning of the match.

You know, the pressure is different obviously to playing the first round of a Grand Slam because you're playing to win it. But physically it's the same as all the other matches.

Q. You said off the court you're very happy. Is there a sense of frustration having been there three times and not getting one yet?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, yeah, anyone who played in three finals would have loved to have won one. But I haven't. And, yeah, I mean, I just need to keep working hard and, you know, try and do it.

But, yeah, I would have preferred to have won one than lost three.

Q. Were there any improvements in Novak's game that surprised you?

ANDY MURRAY: He's a very good player. I haven't played him for a very long time, you know, but I've played him when he's played well and when he hasn't played so well.

He served well tonight in comparison to how he had been the last year or so. That's definitely helped him.

Q. Do you think you can still get close to his level when you're at your best? Is there a gap there now that you need to bridge?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I think I could have played better this evening. Yeah, I mean, I'm going to need to improve. You know, obviously I lost in straight sets, so I'm going to need to get better.

Q. Is it tougher for you to have lost in straight sets like the other two finals, or it doesn't change that much because what is important is to win?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't think it changes that much. Uhm, you know, obviously, you know, if it's sort of a five set match, you feel like you're very, very close to winning, I'm sure that's very difficult, you know, when you get so close.

You know, I wasn't particularly close tonight. I mean, it's disappointing I'm sure every time you lose, whether it's three sets or five sets.

Q. Rafa when he came in said he didn't want to talk about injury. He did eventually say he did have a problem. Are you saying you were a hundred percent?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I mean, I thought I moved decent. I think I could have moved better. But, no, like I said, yeah, I wasn't injured.

But, you know, I had a tough match in the semi. I moved very well the whole tournament. I felt like I could have moved a bit better tonight.

And against someone like Novak, you know, you need to be firing on all cylinders, and I didn't move as well as I would have liked.

Q. I know it is what it is, but this idea of playing, you've got 24 hours less...

ANDY MURRAY: I think they do a great job at this tournament. Last year I had some extra time. The US Open you have both players don't have any time really. You play Saturday, Sunday. I mean, I think it's fine the way they do it here.

Q. What were you talking about to the umpire in the first set? You seemed to get into a discussion with the umpire.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I hit a backhand cross court, and I think it was quite clear in the end they called it out and he overruled. I just said to him, like, you know, I thought that was like almost inside the line. You know, he sort of like bit back at me even though he'd overruled it and we were agreeing.

I just said to him, like, to get defensive toward me, I was just saying I thought it was a quite clear mistake. That was it. It wasn't anything more than that.

Q. You've played him a lot. Has he ever been better at retrieving and playing defense?

ANDY MURRAY: No, he always moves great. But, you know, tonight there was probably five, six times when, you know, I got into good position. He stuck up a lob that landed right on the baseline. You know, so it's difficult to smash because you don't know whether it's going in or not.

Then a couple of times, you know, we played I think at 5 4 in the first set we had another unbelievable point at 15 30. You know, he did some unbelievable retrieving in that point. You know, he came up I think to break me in the third set. You know, I had him going side to side. He hit one backhand passing shot down the line from way back in the court.

When he was on the run tonight, he hit the ball very, very well.

Q. You changed to Plan B against David Ferrer. Did you have any tactical changes that you would have liked to have made tonight?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I started trying to go for my shots more as the match went on. You know, at the beginning of the match, both of us, you're sort of trying to feel each other out a little bit. As you work your way into the match, you start to find patterns and go for your shots more.

Started taking more chances. You know, managed to break serve a few times, but wasn't able to keep it up for long enough.

Q. It took you a little over three months to recover last year, yet you seem to be saying you can handle it better now, not have the same effect.

ANDY MURRAY: I don't know. Might do. But right now I feel better than I did last year. I'll see what I do from here, you know. I don't know, I might not play for a few months. I might feel like playing in a week's time. It depends. See how I feel.

Q. Is the other way to switch it around to say, first major tournament of the season, another final?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I look at the tournament as a whole, it was excellent. I don't think anyone would say that reaching a slam final is a bad achievement. It's a very, very good achievement.

Obviously right now there's disappointment because you just lost the match. But, you know, when you look back over the tournament, you know, there's not many people that can say they've made slam finals.

So, you know, I'll be very happy with the way the tournament went. But I would have obviously liked to have gone one step further.
Yazoo.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #205
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Di. And Noleta! I've even got Rose feeling sorry for Andy on FB

Not sure what to make of that presser. My impression is still that he's not that bothered. Wonder if he and Kim are getting married?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #206
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Di. And Noleta! I've even got Rose feeling sorry for Andy on FB

Not sure what to make of that presser. My impression is still that he's not that bothered. Wonder if he and Kim are getting married?
I think he's hiding it this time. He didn't look happy at all at the ceremony and his voice was wavering. And what I saw of his presser live doesn't indicate that he was nonchalant about what happened.

Don't know about him and Kim, and honestly I don't really care. Although if he were happy off court shouldn't some of that happiness translate on court as well?

The side pieces
The Bulgarian Headcase

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #207
country flag MsTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Fox View Post
I think he's hiding it this time. He didn't look happy at all at the ceremony and his voice was wavering. And what I saw of his presser live doesn't indicate that he was nonchalant about what happened.

Don't know about him and Kim, and honestly I don't really care. Although if he were happy off court shouldn't some of that happiness translate on court as well?
Well, yes you would think so. But he said very clearly in his presser that there was off-court stuff "to look forward to"

Quote:
But, you know, I love my life away from tennis, as well. You know, that's why maybe this year, compared with last, I'm very, very happy off the court. I'm enjoying myself. There's other things to look forward to, too.
Ach well, no point in going over and over it. Hope he gets back on track before too long.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #208
country flag Jade Fox

Quote:
Well, yes you would think so. But he said very clearly in his presser that there was off-court stuff "to look forward to"

Ach well, no point in going over and over it. Hope he gets back on track before too long.
Well to be honest, during the match especially during the second set when he just completely lost it and almost got bageled, I was wondering if something happened off court to cause him to be so upset. Of course I was thinking maybe someone close to him had died.

I was never much of a romantic really. It's probably why I never cared that much about the WAGS of any sport.

I saw that quote but who knows if that even means anything. He for the most part refused to make excuses or say anything to take away from Novak's win. Only time will tell if he means anything by that.

I saw on his website message board that he's scheduled to play Rotterdam the week after this upcoming one. I hope he still plays. I don't want him to get into another funk like last year.

The side pieces
The Bulgarian Headcase

Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #209
country flag Andi-M

Andi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond repute

Andy just 'being a man' about it this year. Zero emotion, completely robotic. Not sure Im happy about it tbh. Im glad he is not publically destroying himself over it for sure.

But I hope privately he is affected enough to do something about it. Like looking at his set-up, getting a sports pysch and changing some aspects of his game. If he does nothing pro-active before Wimby I'll be disappointed.

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #210
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

I hope he does show up in Rotterdam, not least of which because I'm going over there to watch some of the tournament, but also because I think it would be a bad idea for him to put the racquet down and wallow - it didn't do him any favours last year.