Starting off 2011 Down Under - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #106
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting off 2011 Down Under

This AO reminds me of AO 2008. Than Andy was playing super passively again, and the first in-form player took him out (Kohlshreiber).

It is not that he lost to Soderling, it is the way he lost. He was completley destroyed. To just push the ball back in play in not enough against top players. And I don't think Andy in 250 event final is something to really cheer about. Well, c'mon, this is a normal thing. And he is way better than that. If he was not, me and other fans here would have not been so frustrated by his performances.
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #107
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I would classify that as a shit win.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #108
country flag Heather1229

Heather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond repute

While the match was utter garbage, lucky is not the word in the first set...he was hitting his forehand much better and more aggresively in the third set. He just seemed flat from the get go and then the sun came out and he seemed to pick up momentum. As a side note..Kunitsyn took Andy to 4 sets at Wimbledon in the second round in 2009 and we all know what went on to happen there.

What pisses me off is that he knows what he needs to do to play agressively and he CAN do it when he wants to he's just cool with coasting along which does not make any sense because it doesn't jive with his work ethic.

Regarding Roger...of course he was going to sneek it out in the 5th. But this is exactly what happened at Wimbledon just a round later and he ended up going out in the QF soooo....Andy meets him in the QF and takes him out preserving his "every odd year at the AO making it to the semis streak!"
Heather1229 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #109
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodfanpe666o View Post
This AO reminds me of AO 2008. Than Andy was playing super passively again, and the first in-form player took him out (Kohlshreiber).
I had the same thoughts. Last night's match reminded me of Andy's match with Berrer in the AO 2008.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #110
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Martina N is talking about Jankovic and how she's standing too far back and is playing too passively. To quote her she said that that kind of play "wins matches, but not slams." I think the exact thing applies to andy. sure, andymo, we can rejoice in every match andy wins. but Andy himself has made it inordinately clear he is not still on the tour just to win matches. he wants to win slams. he is NOT going to win a slam playing like this, I think that that's entirely clear and really not arguable at this point. If you really think Andy can win a slam playing this way I'm not sure what to tell you. But I would certainly like to see the evidence you have to back that up.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #111
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Martina N is talking about Jankovic and how she's standing too far back and is playing too passively. To quote her she said that that kind of play "wins matches, but not slams." I think the exact thing applies to andy. sure, andymo, we can rejoice in every match andy wins. but Andy himself has made it inordinately clear he is not still on the tour just to win matches. he wants to win slams. he is NOT going to win a slam playing like this, I think that that's entirely clear and really not arguable at this point. If you really think Andy can win a slam playing this way I'm not sure what to tell you. But I would certainly like to see the evidence you have to back that up.
Andy plays exactly like Jankovic, except he has the serve to back him up. You see where she is right now.
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #112
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRose View Post
Andy plays exactly like Jankovic, except he has the serve to back him up. You see where she is right now.
Yep, the fact that Kunitsyn was hitting literally double the groundstroke winners to Andy says quite a lot. What's funny is that one of the reasons Jelena is having so much trouble right now is because she's trying to be more aggressive.

A few tennis writer/tweeters are saying Haase has a really good chance to beat Andy today. Wish I could disagree with them.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #113

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Haase is a good player. He is shotmaker and gave Nadal lots of trouble at Wimbledon. If he has a good day, Andy is in trouble.

Well, in the first part of 2006 Andy was actually agressive, I mean he was hitting more groundstroke winners. Or he was trying to...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #114
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

Haase is a really good player who has just had bad luck with injuries. Andy needs to be on high alert.
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #115
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm seeing/fearing Kohlschreiber all over again. Someone hold me.

Please Andy, make me wrong. Make me very wrong.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #116
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Yay happy to be wrong, sorry I didn't see any of the match.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #117
country flag Deboogle!.

Haase turned his ankle in like the 2nd game of the match and started swinging for the fences and most of them went in, including a couple of truly ridiculous shots that left andy going . Andy was passive as usual, usually on top of the MELBOURNE thing on the court. Haase hit 2 DFs in the TB to throw it again and then andy could take control as Haase started having more physical problems and was clearly tiring.

It was good of Andy to keep trying and he did start playing better as the match went on, but I think he's lucky haase was hurt. he won't get much further in the tournament if he keeps going this way. Even his DAD wrote him an email that he was being too far back.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #118

I wonder, because he plays like this like...every match, is this what he and Larry are talking. I'm starting to think this way.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #119
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

tsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond repute

i'm kind of glad i didn't see most of that match, i like how andy came back and eventually won (even though haase's injury played a decent part in it), but i watched most of the first set (close to the end of it) and i was just smh, even if it was just lucky shotmaking -- i was so happy to switch channels and watch the new bones instead.

i'm crossing my fingers for andy to at least get to roger, but i won't be surprised at all if stan takes him out.

tsurupettan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #120
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Will the real Andy Roddick please stand-up?
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote