Mens Tennis Forums banner

Starting off 2011 Down Under

22K views 193 replies 31 participants last post by  OnyxRose 
#1 ·
Well it's that time again. Andy's in Brisbane practicing and says it's the first time since last May that he's felt 100% healthy...

#30 ·
#37 ·
Gawd Mardy, don't be a moron. Take that stupid magnetic power bracelet off. Funny, you are in Australia, the country that forced the manufacturer to admit there is no science behind them and they don't do anything at all.

#38 ·
:haha: funny you mention that, since at the draw ceremony the reporters asked Mardy about the power bracelet and he said that it works for him, or whatever that means. Eerie silence after that answer. hmm.

#43 ·
Surprised it was so easy but glad. not great he's gotten broken in every match so far but if he keeps winning easily, I guess it doesn't matter that much :lol:

#44 · (Edited)
This was a test for Roddick. And he came through with flying colours but like what arodfanpe666o said, I too am just a little bit concern about the way he keeps dropping his serve. But a win is a win I suppose. I expect him to go onto the Finals now!!

#46 ·
“I felt good about pretty much everything tonight,” declared Roddick. “The conditions were a little heavier, which made it tougher to create and that’s probably why you saw a lot of break point opportunities; the serves weren’t jumping through. On the flip side my slice was staying down, and it was tough to create off of that. That won me a lot of baseline rallies tonight.”

ANDY EXPLAINS WHY THERE ARE SO MANY BREAKS.

#49 ·
I beg to differ, I watched the whole match...thought he played pretty well and he lost focus in the 2nd after the fan fainted in the stands. He wasn't just pushing the ball into play either in the 3rd set he hit some pretty nice winners. Keep in mind he beat Soderling on a hard court at the height of his mono last summer.

#51 ·
I must've seen a different match, andy was not impressive to me at all. Same old passive stuff way behind the baseline. He got lucky because Anderson happily obliged, especially in the third set DFing on both break points. Andy can't expect to have a shot at winning slams if he plays like this. and there's no reason to believe he's going to stop playing like this after the better part of the last 6-7 years :lol:

#53 ·
:lol: I mean, he didn't play badly, but he was definitely just waiting for Anderson to make mistakes. And Anderson obliged, but I don't think Sod will.

I think the best thing is that he seems to really want it badly, and that's always a good sign for him.

#54 ·

Koala-Andy.

Loved the tweets.....

@AdjustingTheNet Crowd clearly wants A-Rod to win. Zero reaction when Sod wins a pt. Rod survives several brk pts. to hold for 3-2. in 2nd. :cool:

@AdjustingTheNet A collective moan goes up as Sod breaks to go up 6-5 in 2nd set. :spit:

@AdjustingTheNet As A-Rod gets catcalls while changing shirt, wife Brooklyn gets a laugh. Commie says "she's seen him w/out his shirt before." I hope so... :angel:

@doinaanca Brisbane Director: "Congrats Robin, but we worship Andy"...HAHAHAHAH :haha:

#56 ·
You know, even though he lost and that's a major FAIL on his part, knowing Andy's popular virtually everywhere he goes always makes me :D .

#55 ·
Well, same old shit again. An in-form player steps in and Andy is out. Andy creates expectations, explaining how he is in shape and so on and so on and soon he gets beaten. I'm not saying that it is so bad to loose to Sod, but at least make it a fight. He should at least do that if he really considers himself a contender at Slams. Which he is not. You cant loose 5!!! consecutive matches against top 10 players and think you can win a Slam. And to win a Slam, you can not do it without beating these guys, and I don't think it is going to be easier against Rafa or Fed.

We all know he can beat Dolgopolov or Anderson or whoever he played this week before the final. He is experienced enough to make the finals of 250 event and, let's face it, he did not have a bad draw this week, did not meet a tricky player. The win, that would really mean something was the match against Sod. And he failed. Worse - Sod beats him convincingly. And I don't believe in Melbourne it will be different. He will get to quarters maybe, someone playing good will come and it will be over.

I promised myself to not care anymore after the shameful performance in London but I can't stop just like that. But I should.

#57 ·
It was a nice warmup and Andy got alot of matches in. Robin is a good player. Let's not overreact here though, the real tournament starts the 17th. It's good to see Andy healthy and playing semi-OK tennis.

#58 ·
But Ryan the problem is that if you don't practice playing good strong aggressive tennis, you can't do it when you are in a big tight match in a slam. That's why we see him bumrush the net on horrible approach shots when he plays the top players in big matches.

#59 ·
You'll never hear me argue against Andy playing aggressive tennis that said had he won this match and the title even playing the right way, I wouldn't feel any better or worse about his chances in Melbourne. This week was a good warm up and that's all it was. I hope to see his form improve at the AO where playing well actually counts, that's all I am saying. I've just seen it too often where guys have had great weeks or crappy ones and play totally different when it counts. Ya know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.