Discuss YOUR tennis - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #46
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discuss YOUR tennis

Into the same doubles final again . Different partner and 1 different opponent . Won Semi 4-6 , 6-3 , 6-2 . Far too close . It should of been easy . Lol
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #47

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Won a 3 hour 3 setter of singles today after playing all day already before I started ! 6-1 , 4-6 , 6-4 . I hate the fact I seem to be stuck as some sort of counter puncher / aggressive pusher .
Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #48
country flag Dangermouse

Dangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond reputeDangermouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have a decent backhand(either 1 or 2 handed) good forehand, play relatively attacking baseline tennis, but my serve is god awful and I'm slow as hell, I can be easily beaten by drop shots.
Challenger Race 2014(D): 30

Doubles CHAMPION /Redkop @ 2014 Itajai CH
Doubles RU w/Capriati Rules @ 2013 Winnetka CH(Fuck you Bogomolov)
Dangermouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
I have a decent backhand(either 1 or 2 handed) good forehand, play relatively attacking baseline tennis, but my serve is god awful and I'm slow as hell, I can be easily beaten by drop shots.
Getting quicker is not that hard and if your serve is that bad why not see a coach ?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #50

Lost in a loser's draw singles comp 6-3 , 6-4 . Getting sick on lobbing the ball back when I am nervous
Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #51
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
as you're 18, i assume you're actually not that slow; you just need better anticipation. split step as your opponent hits the ball so you can move early. it also keeps your attention on the ball and lets you know what shot your opponent hit.

is your serve weak or inconsistent?
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #52
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Early in my career I was a flat ball striker, taking on the rise like Agassi, with 2 handed backhand, September 2004- April 2007, when I used the Head Radical.

Then from April 2007-June 2010, I used the Babolat Aero Pro Drive and my game became heavy forehand loopy and very Nadal like, only righty.

Then on June 2010, I switched to the Wilson NCode 6.1 95 18x20, and my game became more controlled, more Federer like, which was the plan, as I picked up too many injuries playing with the Babolat. My early Agassi hitting on rise days gave birth to this new attacking game I was adopting. June 2010-November 2010, I used the Wilson. Then I switched to the Babolat Pure Storm 95, and continued work with my all court game.

November 2010 to July 2011, I played with the Pure Storm, then switched to the Wilson BLX 6.1 95. A few months later, in September 2011, I switched from 2 to 1 hand on my BH side. I was having some left wrist injuries for some time, and one day in practice my 2 hand BH was particularly bad. So after missing 3 in a row, I just switched to a one hander and hit a few top spin shots. They were half shanked, but all landed in, and deep. I decided to stick with it, and also it helped my left wrist injury.

July 2011 to May 2012 I used the BLX, before I switched to the Pro Staff 85, the Godfather racquet, which has been in use from May 2012 to present. My game has evolved into basically a Federer game, with the height of Ferrer, and the build of a Bruce Lee, very cut.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #53
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a pushing vulture and I rely on my stamina, grunting and defensive skills. I also take advantage of easy draws and injured/exhausted /choking opponents.

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #54

Into the comp that I reached the doubles final in last year. I lost 6-1 , 6-3 to the first opposition I played in singles . First round walkover after he twisted his ankle playing football the night before he was meant to play me in the morning . Won first doubles match with my partner 7-5 , 7-6 (4) after a week off playing as I went on a lads holiday . Spent about 4 hours cramped up in a car as my preparation . And then won the semi with my partner 4-6 , 6-3 , 6-2 . Got into a bad habit of trying to lob the guy that was about 6 '6 tall . Lost in the final 7-5 , 6-4 . Very frustrating blew a 4-2 lead in the second set . Their where a stupid amount of breaks in the match overall and I double faulted on match point . Possibly 1 more club singles comp in September and then possibly another dabble at county .

Last edited by Super Djoker : 07-14-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #55

Lost patience with trying to space that out !
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
country flag oakgrove1

oakgrove1 is on a distinguished road

I'm on my high school's men tennis team. Even though I'm only 13 and in the 7th grade, the youngest person I played this past year was an 11th grader. I can say I won 2 sets against the top high school tennis player in Alabama (where I live). But I didn't win a match all year. So do u have any tips for me as I grow up on anything about tennis. Like how to get college coaches to look at me and stuff like that. Thanks.
oakgrove1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #57

Don't know where I am in terms of development . I hit with topspin at the back of the court and flatten my strokes out when I move in . My serve is quite good but not reliable . Double fault every now and again . I seem to play as a human backboard at times and then go all ball basher and make loads of errors . Quite a while back I said to myself I just need to work on getting better quality groundies . Just groundies , groundies, groundies . I struggle against decent net players and get frustrated when my opponent keeps getting the ball back and running around the back like a twat . I can be very erratic .
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #58

Me serving . http://youtu.be/We_qtfTKO6c . Sorry it's not very good lol . The court was wet so I did the best I could without falling over .
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #59
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Djoker View Post
Me serving . http://youtu.be/We_qtfTKO6c . Sorry it's not very good lol . The court was wet so I did the best I could without falling over .
I think you really could benefit from coaching - either a pro or a friend who knows the fundamentals.

You are not getting a full extension on both your tossing and hitting arm. Your shoulder (and hip) turn is inadequate, and you're not using your legs. All these add up to a pretty weak serve. You also have a hitch in your swing but it may resolve once you have the proper motion.

Do you realize that you move your front foot so that you end up mostly facing the court before you even begin your swing? That inhibits the shoulder and hip turn. You might want to position your back foot behind your front foot (it's hard to describe, but facing sideways on the court, take your back foot and move it a little behind you).

When you toss the ball, don't drop your right arm (since you're a lefty) too soon, make sure you're getting a good extension with it. This will help with your full service motion because you'll drop your left shoulder.

You break your wrist during your swing (i.e. you cock your wrist so your racket kind of flops back behind you). In a normal service motion, the racket naturally drops behind; there is no need to actively cock the wrist, it simply remains relaxed until the pronation right before the ball strike.

Again, try to get full extension as you hit the ball - tossing it higher will help.

There are lots of instructional videos on YouTube showing the proper service motion, but it really helps to get someone who will correct your particular issues.

Last edited by T.C : 08-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C View Post
I think you really could benefit from coaching - either a pro or a friend who knows the fundamentals.

You are not getting a full extension on both your tossing and hitting arm. Your shoulder (and hip) turn is inadequate, and you're not using your legs. All these add up to a pretty weak serve. You also have a hitch in your swing but it may resolve once you have the proper motion.

Do you realize that you move your front foot so that you end up mostly facing the court before you even begin your swing? That inhibits the shoulder and hip turn. You might want to position your back foot behind your front foot (it's hard to describe, but facing sideways on the court, take your back foot and move it a little behind you).

When you toss the ball, don't drop your right arm (since you're a lefty) too soon, make sure you're getting a good extension with it. This will help with your full service motion because you'll drop your left shoulder.

You break your wrist during your swing (i.e. you cock your wrist so your racket kind of flops back behind you). In a normal service motion, the racket naturally drops behind; there is no need to actively cock the wrist, it simply remains relaxed until the pronation right before the ball strike.

Again, try to get full extension as you hit the ball - tossing it higher will help.

There are lots of instructional videos on YouTube showing the proper service motion, but it really helps to get someone who will correct your particular issues.
My serve is quite up and down . This is just the latest incarnation of my service motion . I am not very happy with it . Lol . The first time I watched it I was quite suprised how bad it is . The biggest problem I noticed ( hard to see in this video ) is that I throw the ball up really really wide . It's a miracle I can even contact the ball . I think I can just cheat as I am over six foot . I really want a " set" service motion that I stick to for pretty much every serve .