Wikileaks releases 250,000 documents - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #46
country flag Chiseller

Chiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wikileaks releases 250,000 documents

The left-leaning NYT which uncritically supported the Iraq invasion? Good joke
Though, unlike the 911 truthers I do sympathise with the climate truthers, I really do. The price of petrol is annoyingly high.

On what basis do you want Assange to be tried? The governments around the world would certainly welcome such an authoritarian step, what an excellent precedent it could set for all further whistle blowers.
Chiseller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #47
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiseller View Post

On what basis do you want Assange to be tried? The governments around the world would certainly welcome such an authoritarian step, what an excellent precedent it could set for all further whistle blowers.
He's not a whistle blower, he's a spy. Would you call a Russian spy in the US a whistle blower?
Not by any stretch of the imagination is spying the same as whistle-blowing.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
As usual, when a left-wing person makes a bad joke, it is just a bad joke. When someone on the right makes a bad joke it is a serious assassination threat.

I wouldn't want Assange assassinated, just tried for espionage. But having said that, ''taking out'' spies is a common practice around the world. It's an occupational hazard and all dedicated spies accept that.
Ah - the right wing sense of permanent victimhood... gotta love it.

First of all, you're expanding the intent of my argument far past where it was intended. This wasn't a right wing vs left wing argument. It was the fact this comment didn't come just from some pundit - its a close advisor to the Prime Minister. And frankly if you find that to be an attempt at a joke, it just confirms conservatives have absolutely no sense of humour.

Also - spies - or at least semi-competent ones - generally don't advertise what they are doing and who they are, nor do they start websites or blogs to expose what is really going on around the world. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of their job.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #49
country flag Chiseller

Chiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's not a whistle blower, he's a spy.
Oh, I didn't know.
Chiseller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #50
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
It was the fact this comment didn't come just from some pundit - its a close advisor to the Prime Minister.
He is not a close adviser to the PM. I think you know that and are just being careless with the truth.

When he said that Obama should send a drone, yes I laughed, because it was an obvious attempt at a joke.
When death threats were made against George Bush over and over again on TV, by people like John Kerry, Betty Williams and Craig Kilborn, I did not think any of the people making the threats would actually carry them out. Why should I think different today?
Unfortunately the PC police today would eliminate jokes if they could. Every joke is at the expense of someone, therefore all jokes are inappropriate. Boring!

Last edited by buddyholly : 12-04-2010 at 05:21 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #51
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
And frankly if you find that to be an attempt at a joke, it just confirms conservatives have absolutely no sense of humour.
Where did you get the idea I was a conservative?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #52
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He is not a close adviser to the PM. I think you know that and are just being careless with the truth.

When he said that Obama should send a drone, yes I laughed, because it was an obvious attempt at a joke.
When death threats were made against George Bush over and over again on TV, by people like John Kerry, Betty Williams and Craig Kilborn, I did not think any of the people making the threats would actually carry them out. Why should I think different today?
Unfortunately the PC police today would eliminate jokes if they could. Every joke is at the expense of someone, therefore all jokes are inappropriate. Boring!
Flanagan was chief of staff when Harper served as Canadian Alliance opposition leader, ran his 2003 Conservative Party of Canada leadership and 2004 election campaigns, and also served as a senior campaign advisor in the 2006 election. The "Calgary School" is the intellectual birthplace of many of Harper's key policy ideas - so yes, I'm completely 100% a liar.

Also - Craig Kilborn? Really? Can you name four people that watch him?

And if you want to talk about death threats, CNN reported last year that the Secret Service in the US said last year death threats are up 400% since Obama took office compared to Bush - but then again, the Secret Service are traditionally a bunch of left-wing peaceniks so that's probably a complete fabrication as well. During the Bush years actually, it was much more dangerous to be someone like the Dixie Chicks, who were subject to death threats and CD burnings, or abortion doctors, than it is now to be a right wing evangelist. But really, the Dixie Chicks for example had forgotten that Dick Cheney had mentioned people should "watch what they say" after 9/11 - so again, definitely left-wingers and the PC police running around controlling people because they can't take a joke (also definition of a joke is something that's funny. You're setting the bar REALLY low is Flanagan's remark was a joke).

So yes, again I'm definitely completely fabricating everything I say here - which is increasingly the typical response anytime a conservative is criticized nowadays, while the right wing is running around 2 years later still telling people Obama is a foreign muslim and that's completely OK.

Quote:
Where did you get the idea I was a conservative?
Gee I dont know - disagreeing with everything I say, telling me I'm careless with the truth, and then bringing up the hypocrisy of the NY Times on a completely different matter when all this started by me simply saying Flanagan is a tool (never may I add did I imply he didnt have a right to say what he did - of course he does). Only a conservative looking to argue - or a lawyer - would have used those remarks, or else you just really want to play devil's advocate.

But again - I'm not implying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I just respectfully disagree with everything you're saying, which may be a function of the fact you live in Canada and I live in the US.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #53
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But again - I'm not implying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I just respectfully disagree with everything you're saying, which may be a function of the fact you live in Canada and I live in the US.
I live in the US, and I disagree with you.

By the way, the "right wing permanent victimhood" comment was really rich. If you can actually say that without any sense of irony, I don't think that you ought to expect your political opinions to be taken very seriously.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #54
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And frankly if you find that to be an attempt at a joke, it just confirms conservatives have absolutely no sense of humour.
Oh the beauty of sweeping statements about a whole human group from what happens with one individual... I guess I should intelligently point out here now that it just confirms "leftists" have absolutely no sense of proportion.

And let's not start with "leftists"' penchant for baseless labelling of others.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #55
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's not a whistle blower, he's a spy. Would you call a Russian spy in the US a whistle blower?
Not by any stretch of the imagination is spying the same as whistle-blowing.
This is absurd, Assange is not a spy anymore than any journalist in a major newspaper.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #56
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
So yes, again I'm definitely completely fabricating everything I say here

Gee I dont know - disagreeing with everything I say, telling me I'm careless with the truth,
All I wanted to say is that you were wrong to write that Flanagan is an adviser to the Canadian PM. It suggests to the reader that he is on the PM's official staff.

I wouldn't write that George Bush is President of the USA.

But if you think the NY Times is a right wing publication, then we won't see eye to eye.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #57
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Also - Craig Kilborn? Really? Can you name four people that watch him?

I just respectfully disagree with everything you're saying, which may be a function of the fact you live in Canada and I live in the US.
So the severity of wishing death on someone is actually a function of one's celebrity status?

Can you name four people that watch the CBC?

Last year I lived in Costa Rica. Maybe last year we would have agreed on everything.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #58
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
This is absurd, Assange is not a spy anymore than any journalist in a major newspaper.
That is a good point in this cyber world. I am not sure really how Assange should be classified, but I am sure whistle blower is not a term I would use.

He seems to have got the material from a US soldier, who would definitely be a traitor and deserving of a death sentence. So what the status of an Australian citizen who deals in stolen classified information supplied by a traitor may be, I am not sure.

But having seen Assange on TV a few times, he invariably comes across to me as a classic sociopath. He needs to be stopped.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #59
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

whistle-blowers are those leaking the docs to him, he's a mere publisher.
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #60
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

If an army person did it, it is not whistle-blowing by any stretch of the imagination. You can't serve in the Armed Forces and just decide for yourself to release classified information to a foreign agent. Well, you can, but the penalty should be the maximum.

Now, if a colleague of the guy who stole the cables was to inform the government of the theft, that would be whistle blowing.