Time for Hewitt to Retire. - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #31
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Hewitt to Retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
What is this baby SMS scam about? It sounds interesting! Did they run an SMS competition to name the latest baby? (Just taking a guess there)
Lleyton is signed up to a text service in Aus that also features a few AFL players. Basically, you subscribe to an athlete and they occasionally text from their phone (I'd assume to the company, who then forward it to subscribers) with news.

Basically Lleyton said that the first people to find out would be the fans via the text service, leading to uproar at Lleyton and Bec charging people for the news. Attack and defense of the story here:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis...by-s-name?bn=1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...ce-claims.html
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #32
country flag samjones

samjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton should play AO because he's the only Australian in the draw and retiring before AO would be like leaving home without saying goodbye.

If he does well at AO (QF or better) then he should give the spring season a shot. If he doesn't then I would be inclined to agree that he should call it quits.
samjones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #33
country flag bad gambler

bad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond reputebad gambler has a reputation beyond repute

Whether he should retire is a different story to whether he still wants to play the game. Clearly he does so I don't see much problem.
bad gambler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #34
country flag samjones

samjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond reputesamjones has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTG View Post
Can this thread be merged with the dozen other 'Hewitt/Federer/X/Y/Z should retire' threads? Or maybe we should just have a 'Suggested Retirements Forum' here on MTF.
Why not just let people talk about what they want to talk about? Nobody forced you to click on the Hewitt retirement thread. Maybe you should go start a "Fedal is the goat" thread. Might make you feel better.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #35
country flag super_mouse

super_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond reputesuper_mouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozdog View Post
Clarifying my post:

1.Hewitt needs to retire

2.He cannot be allowed to be part of the "political" side of tennis.

3.He is detrimental to the games "public persona" in Australia (the reasoning why he cannot be allowed to be part of TA)
4. I do not have a problem with him coaching juniors, as long as it is about them and not him. (and be honest, he will struggle with his ego on this one...look at tomic)

Sorry if i did not make point 4 clear in my opening post, I felt it was clear when I was referring to the upper levels what i meant, obviously it wasn't.

I won't engage oranges, as he/she is only attempting to esculate this thread into a trolling/shouting match and i have no time for rubbish like that.

As for Davis cup, maybe. but not so sure he has the ability to bring players together under his captaincy because of his devisive nature, i maybe wrong and would quite happily admit it if he proved it in the future, but I can't see it.

As for TA's Youth Policy, it is most certainly fragmented and very hard to get a complete detailed outline of it unless you are directly involved. In fact,a direct request to TA will result in you receiving a detailed outline of there 2009 policy, which was abolished early this year and hastily rewritten for 2010 will they finished the touches to there 2011 policy which will be implemented in 2015
That comes down to there being many many chiefs, but very few workers. And this is where I believe the clearing out of the upper levels, including devisive players is an essential step forward for tennis in this country. i am going to be flippant here and say this: Rafter or someone similar would oil the machine and get it working again to develop policies that would work, Hewitt would sell his story to new idea the moment things got rough.
You my friend are a numbskull. Hewitt has done more for australia then anyone else in the past 10yrs. He will retire when he wants to.
-80wks at no.1
-2x yr end no.1
-Youngest no.1 (20yrs 8mths)
super_mouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #36
country flag samjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_mouse View Post
You my friend are a numbskull. Hewitt has done more for australia then anyone else in the past 10yrs. He will retire when he wants to.
When a player reaches the level that Lleyton was at they have a sort-of unwritten obligation to always play at a high level or to not play at all. If he can't stay in the top 20 most the time then he ought to get out of the game.

He would be great at mixed doubles.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #37
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_mouse View Post
Wow! Nearly five years on MTF before you actually post.

Hewitt only played 12 events this year and still managed to win a title beating Federer in the final. I hope he sticks around and finally stops getting awful Grand Slam draws.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #38
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

What Australia without Hewitt we saw in September, I his personal fan like that would end his career happened as late as possible, and after Hewitt will simply void
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #39
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjones View Post
Why not just let people talk about what they want to talk about? Nobody forced you to click on the Hewitt retirement thread. Maybe you should go start a "Fedal is the goat" thread. Might make you feel better.
I just don't understand why people think they are entitled to say when an athlete 'should' retire. If an athlete still enjoys competing, and is still earning enough money to compete, who the f**k are we to sit behind a keybord and say when they should call it a day?

As for the Fedal comment. I don't know why you mentioned that. I don't recall ever starting a single thread with the word 'goat' in the title. Or ever starting a thread with Federer or Nadal in the title for that matter.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #40
country flag Rafa = Fed Killa
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER

Rafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt should have retired years ago

Never seen a player being so humiliated by Federer.
The real rocky would have punched back. Hewitt just bent over.

RIP TENNIS JUNE 7, 2009

Do what must be done.
Do not hesitate.
Show no mercy.
Rafa = Fed Killa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #41
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozdog View Post
Clarifying my post:

1.Hewitt needs to retire

2.He cannot be allowed to be part of the "political" side of tennis.

3.He is detrimental to the games "public persona" in Australia (the reasoning why he cannot be allowed to be part of TA)
4. I do not have a problem with him coaching juniors, as long as it is about them and not him. (and be honest, he will struggle with his ego on this one...look at tomic)

Sorry if i did not make point 4 clear in my opening post, I felt it was clear when I was referring to the upper levels what i meant, obviously it wasn't.

I won't engage oranges, as he/she is only attempting to esculate this thread into a trolling/shouting match and i have no time for rubbish like that.

As for Davis cup, maybe. but not so sure he has the ability to bring players together under his captaincy because of his devisive nature, i maybe wrong and would quite happily admit it if he proved it in the future, but I can't see it.

As for TA's Youth Policy, it is most certainly fragmented and very hard to get a complete detailed outline of it unless you are directly involved. In fact,a direct request to TA will result in you receiving a detailed outline of there 2009 policy, which was abolished early this year and hastily rewritten for 2010 will they finished the touches to there 2011 policy which will be implemented in 2015
That comes down to there being many many chiefs, but very few workers. And this is where I believe the clearing out of the upper levels, including devisive players is an essential step forward for tennis in this country. i am going to be flippant here and say this: Rafter or someone similar would oil the machine and get it working again to develop policies that would work, Hewitt would sell his story to new idea the moment things got rough.
1. Absolutely...............................Not. He is still too important for our Davis Cup team, he generates a lot of interest in the mens side for the Australian tournaments that would not exist if he retired, he is more than capable of going on a deep run at Wimbledon if a bit of luck goes his way.

2. Have you seen the idiots that currently run the comical masterpiece known as Tennis Australia. They have taken a couple of steps in the right direction this year but they still need to be replaced and it is a joke they haven’t already. Hewitt used his standing in the game to support Mcnamee’s bid last year even though he and Mcnamee weren’t the best of friends.

3. Look at his replacement Bernard Tomic. Tomic is not ready to be the poster boy of Australian Tennis yet and will make Hewitt look like a golden child. As for his public persona in my opinion the way he has continued playing on has earnt him a lot of respect as he hasn’t cried his way into retirement about not being able to match it with the best but has instead continued to fight on even after numerous injuries. My respect for Hewitt has grown enormously over the past few years after previously not being a huge fan of his.

4. Holy shit someone in Australian Tennis finally put Tomic in his place. How dare they. As long as your IQ is not a single digit you should be able to realize that it wasn’t Hewitt’s ego at fault there. He has no problems with other Australian players. Just look at the relationships he has with Luczak and Guccione. On the otherhand look at the incidents Tomic has had with alot of the other Australian players.

Also next time when you start start your Hewitt Hate can you time it a couple of months earlier so we can enter you in the ACC. Australia is in need of a good clown to match up against the fearsome clown duo from New Zealand (2003 and Federers Mate).
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #42
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

i really dont think he should

as long as he loves the game and wants to play he should and you are no one to say he needs to stop.

he's still capable of making deep runs in events when the draw is there
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #43
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people care whether he retires or not? He's still making money, and he won Halle this year, beating Federer in the final. I've never liked Hewitt, but the man should be allowed to retire when he wants to, not when the world's most brilliant internet posters think it's time.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #44
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

no way.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #45
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

He can decide. Tennis is gonna suck for me in a few years, with Ferrer, ferrero, gonzo, hewitt, melzer and montanes all near retirement.

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote