Tennis books - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #16
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis books

Agassi's book is fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #17
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

I read Rafa's autobiography and liked it a lot. I also read Pete Sampras' book and Andre Agassi's. I liked Rafa's the best. I also read a biography of Rafa in Spanish. I was surprised how much of the Spanish I studied in high school and college came back to me. Tennis has been a better language study aid than any book or videotape.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #18
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
Agassi's book is fantastic!
he really laid into bollettieri in that book
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
country flag Riosreigned

Riosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond reputeRiosreigned has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
Could you write something about Gilbert's book? I'd like to buy it next year...
It has everything, tales of BG's tactics and insights into some of his matches, psychological warfare tactics he's experienced and used, the whole journey from start to end with Agassi, tactical advices for competitive players on any level - use of different spins, speeds, key points. It was a super read. I read it all the time and feel it has been a great benefit for my own game as well as entertaining and insightful into the world of tennis. Still read it all the time, just the type of book you can open any page and just read a bit.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 AM   #20
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Brad Gilbert - "Winning Ugly"

I know Brad Gilbert actually as long as I've been watching tennis. Just 2 months since I'd started watching the game, I saw him for the first time during his blowout with Wheaton (Munich '90) - nothing hardcore occurred but that scene electrified me - I was just a kid - and it was like a subconscious message - "I saw him just 10-15 seconds but I already know he's special".
A couple of months later I realized that exists something like tactics - if I remember well it was during a match between E.Sanchez and Mansdorf (Stuttgart) - I noticed that one player approaches the net behind the serves while the other one mainly occupies the baseline and both hold service games quite easily - I understood there are different roads leading to the victory. Over the following years I comprehended that both serve-and-volleyers and baseliners vary between themselves. My analytical ability wasn't good enough at the time though, to comprehend why a guy like Brad Gilbert - with average serve, sluggish movement & soft groundstrokes ("they belong to the times of the wooden racquets" I was thinking) - had won more than 500 tour matches, 20 titles + career-high No. 4, which places him within elite company of men's tennis as far as the Open era is concerned...

He achieved so much because he is a tactical genius, he's able to spot plenty of important details that others cannot.

In the book, he unveils that a successful outcome of a match may depend on many factors, often neglected even by pro players: coin toss, reprogramming the mindset by unique ways, or analyzing the match when is over in order to memorize nuances that might be crucial in the upcoming competitions. Gilbert is a miracle-monger to some degree, but he honestly admits there are extremely disadvantageous match-ups for one of the players - that's why he never overcame Lendl being severely defeated on many occasions. Gilbert's advices don't turn technically, physically or intellectually limited player into a great champion, but may help him maximizing his potential which always creates better chances of winning - I think it's very important issue in dealing with defeats - awareness that you did everything you could.
Just like a gunman portrayed by Eli Wallach in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" isn't literally ugly, the title of Gilbert's book shouldn't be taken literally. Most of all, Gilbert, with his rich experience as a player, coach and commentator, teaches us how to increase our chances of winning, using acuity and doing it with respect to both, your opponents and the history of tennis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gilbert.jpg (49.7 KB, 3 views)
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp

Last edited by Voo de Mar : 03-22-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #21
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Winning Ugly helped me a lot with my mental game. Gilbert is very smart, any player would be lucky to have him coaching them today.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
country flag clandis

clandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond repute

Just read Jimmy Connor's book. Pretty good
clandis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #23
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Randy Walker - The Days of Roger Federer

Understanding how to access and use information - it's the cornerstone in the digital age. Our thoughts tend to be reflected by 140-character text messages, therefore we also need short messages to get information. I assume Randy is fully aware of this process and offers a new way of telling the history of tennis: short stories in day-by-day format. Both his book "On This Day in Tennis History" and the one about Federer, don't require your constant attention. You can open them whenever you want, picking up a random page and reading it extending your tennis knowledge. Federer has been playing against the best players since 1999, facing players ten years older and ten years younger, so I think it's a valuable book for every tennis fan.

Lindsay Gibbs - Titanic: The Tennis Story

Even though I'm not an admirer of novels, I decided to read "Titanic". I spent a few days at my favorite pond: surrounded by pigeons, occasionally glancing at ducks, I was trying to imagine the marine atmosphere of the Titanic setting... Two main protagonists were real people: Richard "Dick" Williams and Karl Behr - the two hall of fame tennis players who survived the sinking. The former was traveling with his father, the latter found himself on the ship to ask parents of his lover Helen for hand in marriage. I know that descendants of the players were rather upset after reading the book, Behr's granddaughter even said that 'the story has been bastardized', but it's a mixture of facts and creative narratives, so I don't see any problem at all. The book is far from controversial, it's about passion and determination confronted with misfortune.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fed.jpg (17.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tit.jpg (21.4 KB, 1 views)
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp

Last edited by Voo de Mar : 08-18-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote