The Other Swiss Players Thread - Page 25 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-13-2003, 02:12 AM   #361
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Kratochvil first through to second-round
Monday, 13 January, 2003
by Ashley Browne

Michel Kratochvil has become the first player through the second-round of the men's draw at Australian Open 2003 after an easy 6-3, 6-0, 6-3 win over Italy's Davide Sanguinetti.

On a sweltering opening day at Melbourne Park, in front of an enormous crowd, the 23-year-old from Switzerland was joined in the second-round by Karol Kucera, who beat Jan Vacek 6-2, 6-1, 6-4. Kucera was a semi-finalist here in 1998, after defeating Pete Sampras in the quarter-finals.

Also through to the second-round is Ecuador's Nicolas Lappenti, who defeated France's Melbourne Park-debutant Jean Benneteau 6-0, 6-4, 6-0.

Among the big names in action during the opening few hours of the men's draw are Thailand's Paradorn Srichapan who received treatment on an injured finger from a trainer on the court midway through the first set, French Open champion Albert Costa, South African veteran Wayne Ferreira and Australian left-hander Scott Draper.

Srichapan was awarded the honour of playing the first match of the Australian Open - the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific - on Rod Laver Arena.

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2003, 03:25 AM   #362
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Michel pictures!

Old 01-14-2003, 08:31 PM   #363
country flag TennisHack

Roger and Yves Allegro are playing doubles at the Australian Open

There are Roger pictures in Mrs. B's thread, and tonight Micha plays on Show Court 3, so there will be more pictures of him tonight

Old 01-14-2003, 09:55 PM   #364
country flag TennisHack

1st round results for the Swiss players:
Robby Ginepri d. Marc Rosset 6-3, 6-4, 6-2
Michel Kratochvil d. Davide Sanguinetti 6-3, 6-0, 6-3
Roger Federer d. Flavio Saretta 7-6, 7-5, 6-4

Justine Henin-Hardenne d. Myriam Casanova 6-3, 6-4
Emmanuelle Gagliardi d. Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian 6/1 2/0
Patty Schnyder d. Wynne Prakusya 6-3, 6-1

2nd round matches:
Michel Kratochvil vs Wayne Ferreira
Roger Federer vs Lars Burgsmuller

Emmanuelle Gagliardi vs Anastasia Myskina
Patty Schnyder vs Marta Marrero

Old 01-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #365
country flag TennisHack

Doubles Pairings:

Roger Federer/Yves Allegro

Patty Schnyder/Rita Grande (ITA)
Myriam Casanova/Nicole Pratt (AUS)
Emmanuelle Gagliardi/Petra Mandula (HUN)

First Round Matches:

Federer/Allegro vs Prinosil/Zimonjic [11]

Schnyder/Grande vs Williams/Williams [1]
Casanova/Pratt vs Navratilova/Kuznetsova [16]
Gagliardi/Mandula vs Martinez/Medina Garrigues

Guess the draw gods didn't look favorably upon the Swiss in doubles

Old 01-15-2003, 01:19 AM   #366
Lily

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is playing doubles? Should he be playing doubles??

Great 1st rd match by Michel!!! His 2nd bagel of the year! Keeping going!

Dangerous doubles matches! Good luck to all the Swiss

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."--Rogi's motto
Lily is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:05 AM   #367
country flag TennisHack

(2R) Wayne Ferreira d. Michel Kratochvil 6-2, 6-2, 7-5

I have thoughts -- as well as pictures -- on this match that I will post tomorrow.

And I've seen RF roaming around the board, I'm sure she'll be by sometime

Old 01-15-2003, 09:43 PM   #368
country flag TennisHack

First, some rather unfortunate news

Hingis 'not even thinking of a comeback'
By NESHA STARCEVIC, Associated Press Writer
January 15, 2003

Martina Hingis might never play another competitive tennis match because of foot injuries.

The former No. 1-ranked player and owner of five Grand Slam tournament titles had surgery on her right ankle in October 2001 and on her left ankle in May.

"It is quite possible that that I will never play top-level tennis again, because my feet don't allow it,'' the 22-year-old Hingis told the Swiss news agency Sport Information in an interview published Wednesday.

After the second operation, Hingis pulled out of the French Open and Wimbledon -- the first majors she missed since turning pro in 1994. She returned to the tour in August, then went back to rehab in October.

"I am not even thinking of a comeback,'' she said.

Hingis has been playing recreational tennis the past two months. But when she practices more seriously, she said, pain spreads through her feet and ankles.

"Tennis was and remains my passion. But I've also grasped that after eight years on the tour, I will only return if I can practice without pain,'' Hingis said in the interview. "Competition is no fun if you can't come in perfectly prepared.''

Hingis was just 16 years, three months old when she won the first of her three Australian Open titles in 1997, making her the youngest Grand Slam singles champion of the 20th century.

She made six straight finals at the Australian Open, winning the first three and losing the last three. She also won the 1997 Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles, and lost the French Open final that year to Iva Majoli.

Hingis spent a total of 209 weeks at No. 1 in the WTA Tour rankings, but she has slipped to 11th after being sidelined 10 of the last 16 months.

Hingis has been tuning in to the Australian Open on television this week and said, "It was fun watching the others run around in the heat.''

She said WTA Tour needs to realize that the crowded schedule is endangering the health of the sport's stars.

"If a player is at the top and always plays until the end of the tournaments, she's sacrificing her health to the tour quite quickly,'' Hingis said.

Hingis was born in Kosice, in what is now Slovakia, and later became a Swiss citizen.

She has won 40 singles titles and 36 doubles titles, including nine at Grand Slam tournaments, and has earned more than $18 million.

In 2001, Hingis filed a $40 million lawsuit against Italian sportswear manufacturer Sergio Tacchini, with whom she had a five-year sponsorship deal, saying her shoes were defective. Sergio Tacchini said the claims were made only so Hingis could avoid paying damages for breaching her contract with the company.

The New York State Supreme Court dismissed the suit in September because there is similar litigation pending in Milan, Italy.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:48 PM   #369
country flag TennisHack

Quote:
Originally posted by TennisHack
(2R) Wayne Ferreira d. Michel Kratochvil 6-2, 6-2, 7-5

I have thoughts -- as well as pictures -- on this match that I will post tomorrow.
Well, I'll start with my thoughts. I posted them previously, during the match, so I'll just c/p them here. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Wayne is a tough competitor, and he had a great run there last year.
See, *this* is what Michel needs to work on. His game is there, but his mental toughness has gone backward since his breakout year in 2001. He doesn't recover quickly enough when he's down, or when he starts out not quite 100%. We've spent a lot of time talking about Juanqui's mental fortitude, and how he has become -- and worked at becoming -- more resilient and coming back when he knows he's not playing well.

There's no reason why his amazing play from Monday can't be replicated today. It's all about the attitude. I just wish someone would tell him.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #370
country flag TennisHack

Now I'll post some pictures from the netcam Unfortunately they aren't of the best quality, but they're good enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warmup1.jpg (15.9 KB, 49 views)

Old 01-15-2003, 09:50 PM   #371
country flag TennisHack

Warming up (the first one was a warmup pic, too )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warmup2.jpg (18.6 KB, 48 views)

Old 01-15-2003, 09:50 PM   #372
country flag TennisHack

Set 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warmup3.jpg (11.7 KB, 46 views)

Old 01-15-2003, 09:51 PM   #373
country flag TennisHack

Set 1 -- first return game, after dropping serve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg set1.jpg (13.9 KB, 44 views)

Old 01-15-2003, 09:52 PM   #374
country flag TennisHack

Thinking -- at least, I think so . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg set1b.jpg (14.6 KB, 44 views)

Old 01-15-2003, 09:53 PM   #375
country flag TennisHack

The dismal scoreline
Attached Images
File Type: jpg set1score1.jpg (23.1 KB, 42 views)