Worst injury you've had? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Worst injury you've had?

I have been fortunate to not have very threatening injuries, but the two times I was injured, they were both pretty nasty.

The first one was during my sophomore year in high school where I had a pinched nerve. It was horrendous. Sometimes my chest would cramp up for no apparent reason and I wouldn't be able to breathe. If I tried to breathe, it would feel like I had a knife hitting my lungs. At the same time, I could not lift my right arm up past my shoulders at all, making it completely impossible to serve. It took nearly 2 months of going to the chiropractor to finally fix it. I think what caused it was serving on a rather cold night without adequate stretching of my back and right shoulder. So as a warning to you all, make sure you stretch enough

The only other injury I had was a left ankle injury which I developed at the end of my senior year in high school. My shoes were pretty worn out and started to allow my feet to have too much room in my shoes. So after a few weeks of playing like this, I somehow injured my ankle. I had to lay off tennis/running in general for 2 months for it finally heal. I couldn't hit backhands at all
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
country flag fleabitten

fleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst injury you've had?

Good question.

My worst injuries did not occur on the tennis court, but certainly affected (ruined!) my play. In high school when I was on the tennis team and really improving, I broke my arm skateboarding. Ruined my senior year - total bummer.

Recently, I fell while snowboarding and ripped a tendon in my knee. I was a slow recovery and took about 9 months to get back on the court.

Moral: stay away from board sports! (I won't heed my own advice, I just got some new snowboarding gear!)

flea
fleabitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, when I was extremely competitive during my high school years playing at USTA tournaments, I was really careful not to strain my body doing other things. Hell, when I played varsity soccer (futbol) for my high school, I used to purposely not hold onto the ball too long so that some idiot wouldn't come and slide tackle me. This was especially after one of my female friends who was the top girls varsity tennis at our school got slide tackled during one of her soccer matches and had her liver (or spleen? I don't remember) torn so she was flown to the ER for surgery. Pretty scary stuff.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a serious injury. Nothing even to make me miss more than a week.

The only thing that I have trouble with is blisters on my left foot. They are becoming a chronic problem as I have had the same bad ones on my toes and heel for months now. They look terrible as well. I have popped them and such several times but they won't go away.

They don't inhibit my play too much though

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
country flag HKz
Hakeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
I have never had a serious injury. Nothing even to make me miss more than a week.

The only thing that I have trouble with is blisters on my left foot. They are becoming a chronic problem as I have had the same bad ones on my toes and heel for months now. They look terrible as well. I have popped them and such several times but they won't go away.

They don't inhibit my play too much though
Might be cliche to say, but getting the right shoes will really help. I always thought people used to say that and that blisters are inevitable, but I finally found the perfect length/width size for my feet, and ever since I've been buying my Nikes at that measurement, I have never had major blister issues. Of course, if I played with them too long I end up getting it but that is my fault
Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

I've been lucky with injuries but the body is starting to creak more as I get older! The only issue I've had was a sore back for the last year or so, I have considerable back bend on the serve which I think must have caused it. The physio was able to sort it out recently though and I've changed the motion slightly and it seems ok now. Apart from that my match recovery is the worst it's been for years, I'm as stiff as a board the next day, but hoping a new gym routine will help as I've been too lazy off-court the past couple of years.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
country flag Donnay Quixote

Donnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond repute

Groin pull.....I did a split on clay and riiiiiiiiiip !
Donnay Quixote is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't ever had a serious injury...the worst thing I've had on a tennis court is twisting an ankle or knee. My left knee and right ankle aren't the greatest since I did it the first time
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Left hip injury in 2007, left untreated and I developed left knee pain for about a year. Played through the pain though, I loved the game too much.

February 2009, I partially dislocated my shoulder on a forehand, and my right hip popped out of place a few months after that. Finally, a left ankle injury when I landed on a serve.

It sucked, but it taught me the importance of being in good shape. Stretching, nutrition, and fitness are the most important part of being a tennis player.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

Got it when I mishit a ball on a frame. It's still inside my wrist and nothing can be done about it unless it grows in size so that it can be seen through the skin (like the pics in the Wikipedia article). A small pain when I mishit or play too much, stress it too much at the gym or duff a shot in golf reminds me that it's still there.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #11
country flag Chiseller

Chiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond repute

Dude
Chiseller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I had shoulder surgery about 7 months ago.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
country flag smitty8

smitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my worst injuries didn't occur on the tennis court. The one I still have problems with is my left knee, slipped on the ice and my leg went in a direction it's not meant to go. I can't do a lot of things I used to, like running. Second worse injury is when I slipped on the sidewalk after walking through wet grass, severely sprained my right ankle and found out a couple days later I actually had a hairline fracture. That was a couple years after I severely sprained my left ankle when tripping over my dog. Yeah, I'm a klutz. I've broken my arm roller skating. I've fallen down stairs (ankle sprain), slammed my hand in the car door, broken toes on bedframes, been in a few car accidents (and now have a bad back, broke my collarbone in one of the wrecks). I hate to think of how much my joints will ache when I'm older because they ache horribly when it's really cold now.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
country flag jatin22

jatin22 is on a distinguished road

had knee replacement 1 year ago....
jatin22 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
country flag britbox

britbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond reputebritbox has a reputation beyond repute

Double compound fracture of the tib and fib playing football (soccer). Nothing major on a tennis court outside of muscle pulls and sprains.
britbox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote