The Yevgeny Kafelnikov Thread - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-18-2003, 02:20 PM   #121
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Yevgeny

And happy 29th birthday

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 04:54 PM   #122
Bubble

Bubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Birthday Zhenya!

No wonder he won 6-2 6-0... He must be in a happy mood...
Bubble is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:25 PM   #123
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

Great win Zhenya!

and Happy B-Day!
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Jessi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 03:44 AM   #124
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Kafelnikov fed up with criticism from Russian media
2003-02-18 12:41:32 GMT (Reuters)
By Pritha Sarkar

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Yevgeny Kafelnikov, who stormed into the second round of the World Indoor Tournament on Tuesday, says he is fed up with criticism from the Russian media.

Newspapers in Russia were extremely critical of Kafelnikov's below-par performance during the team's nailbiting 3-2 Davis Cup victory over the Czech Republic earlier this month.

Former Soviet great Alex Metreveli accused the double grand slam champion of being unprepared for the first round tie.

"No matter what I have done for the country, they are never thankful for what I do," Kafelnikov told Reuters after his first-round triumph over Spain's Feliciano Lopez.

"I don't pay much attention to Russian papers because they always find a way of criticising me even after all these years."

Kafelnikov became the first Russian to lift a grand slam crown at Roland Garros in 1996 and added a second with victory at the 1999 Australian Open.

Having achieved his goal of guiding his country to their first Davis Cup title in December, Kafelnikov feels that he has been unfairly treated when things do not go according to plan.

He denied that he had been omitted from the original Russian singles line-up by Russian captain Shamil Tarpishchev for the tie against the Czechs due to his recent poor form.

"I volunteered not to play because I felt I was physically not fit enough to play best of five set matches," he said. "Whatever decision was made, it was mine."

STRAIGHT SETS

Despite not playing on the opening day of the tie, Kafelnikov had to step in for an ailing Mikhail Youzhny on the third day and ended up losing in straight sets.

"If I feel I cannot give 100 percent, then I'll take that responsibility and step down and let someone else play," said the former world number one, who was replaced by Youzhny for the deciding clash in the final against France last December.

"Even in the final, I took that responsibility on myself not to play (the fifth rubber).

"It is a team competition and we are all in it together trying to accomplish one goal hence we will all do what is best for the team."

Kafelnikov, 29 on Tuesday, said he had also gone back on his promise to retire at the end of 2002 if Russia won the Cup because he felt rejuvenated following surgery to remove a varicose vein in his left leg last December.

"I was ready to retire but after surgery I was feeling physically strong again and reconsidered," he said. "I believe I can still win tournaments so I decided to play on."

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 06:20 AM   #125
siberiangirl

siberiangirl is on a distinguished road

Yeah,the press is so horriable.
It's wierd, how fast everybody forget about everything positive some people do and write only the negative words.I am so angry fro that.When I buy a newspaper with the article about Kafelnikov I usually expect to read something new and positive.
Instead of that I read that "he doesn't play as usuall" or"to lost is so often fro him ...." and evrything like that...I hate that!
But I do not think that people in Russia don't proud of him and everything he did for the sport and country.
But the thing is in the Media-they didn't even showed the Davis Cup 2002 !!!!What I else I can say!???
siberiangirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:51 PM   #126
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

As I was browsing around on Webshots last night, I found this guy, who attended the Davis Cup final last year in France! He has lots of pictures from the final, including some adorable ones of Zhenya with his daughter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kafeldaughter.jpg (39.4 KB, 116 views)

Old 02-24-2003, 09:52 PM   #127
country flag TennisHack

Cute even when she's upset
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kafeldaughter2.jpg (30.4 KB, 111 views)

Old 02-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #128
country flag TennisHack

Attached Images
File Type: jpg kafeldaughter3.jpg (28.7 KB, 90 views)

Old 02-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #129
country flag TennisHack

Upset when taken from Daddy . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kafeldaughter4.jpg (31.9 KB, 106 views)

Old 02-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #130
country flag TennisHack

. . . but it doesn't take long to see that smile on her face again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kafeldaughter5.jpg (33.4 KB, 99 views)

Old 02-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #131
country flag TennisHack

Hehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kafeldaughter6.jpg (48.8 KB, 108 views)

Old 02-26-2003, 10:40 AM   #132
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the adorable pics TH. I know Maxim and he has nice pics on his site. From lots of tournaments.

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 01:16 PM   #133
Nina

Nina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond repute

great pics, thanks she's very cute

btw the girl in the blue sweatshirt behind her is probably Dinara
Nina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:47 PM   #134
country flag TennisHack

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilhame
thanks for the adorable pics TH. I know Maxim and he has nice pics on his site. From lots of tournaments.
This guy has a website?!?!

I used to download his pictures for wallpapers all the time from Webshots! He always seems to have the best ones . . .

And I envy him, both the DC final *and* the Masters Cup . . . .

Old 02-26-2003, 02:51 PM   #135
country flag TennisHack

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina
btw the girl in the blue sweatshirt behind her is probably Dinara
Indeed it is. Upon flipping through the rest of his DC albums, I was able to find a picture of Dinara with the same type of sweatshirt only a different color.