The Yevgeny Kafelnikov Thread - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-21-2002, 03:49 PM   #76
Nina

Nina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond reputeNina has a reputation beyond repute

I can try if you tell me how to do it
Nina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2002, 06:36 PM   #77
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

All I would need is for someone to send me emails to hotmail email address specified in my profile, preferably with scoreline updates in the subject ( the more frequent, the better, say once in 10-15 minutes would be perfect ) - because it is more difficult to get the content of emails from cellphone, but getting "subjects" is easy. It's likely though, that I won't be able to reply immediately. I am going for skiing trip, so I would check the scores when riding the skilift. Thanks.
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:04 PM   #78
country flag madten

madten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond repute

Well, people, DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!! WE made it!!! I just really hope that this win will help Yevgeny to come back to big tennis and find a new motivation!!!! He wanted this DC so badly and he has it!!!! But about the rest? US open, Wimbledon??? Yevgeny, you still have the golas to achieve........ Come on!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 01:47 AM   #79
Leo7

Leo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond reputeLeo7 has a reputation beyond repute

plus he's still got to win a damn Masters Series title
"Ferrero's going to be a tough one for anybody. This guy is the real deal already. He's got a chance at going a long, long way. This guy could be the best Spanish player ever; that's saying something." - John McEnroe, June 2000

[marquee] Hey Emma [/marquee]

Leo7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:23 AM   #80
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't resist

You will be missed, Michel Kratochvil!
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:24 AM   #81
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond reputeTennisHack has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the Safin-Grosjean match with his daughter

Old 12-02-2002, 02:25 AM   #82
country flag TennisHack

Passing the reigns?

Old 12-02-2002, 04:22 AM   #83
KFS

KFS

I am very happy to see Russia wins its first Davis Cup title!! Congrats Marat, Zhenya, Misha and the rest of the team!!!

But on the other hand my mind keeps saying:

"Don't quit, Zhenya!!! Please don't!!!"

Kafelnikov, Yevgeny
Ferrero, Juan Carlos
Safin, Marat
KFS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:24 AM   #84
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice article from tennisreporters.net:

Will Kafelnikov truly retire?

Now that Yevgeny Kafelnikov has backed himself into a corner, it will be interesting to watch carefully as he makes a decision in coming weeks about retiring from tennis.

All year long, the two-time Grand Slam champion has been saying if he is part of the first team to bring a Davis Cup title back to Russia, he would retire from the game. It is true that the 28-year-old has lost his focus and too often his touch when playing this year, which led to his retirement pronouncement. But as it turns out, Kafelnikov's being a member of the Russian squad that conquered the French defending champions 3-2 in Paris this past weekend turned into a very bittersweet moment for the Russian star.

The problem stems from the fact that Kafelnikov's dream likely painted a vivid picture where he was an essential ingredient to a Davis Cup victory, but alas, that was anything but the truth. Kafelnikov donned his distracted persona during the weekend tie and, after losing to Sebastien Grosjean in singles on Friday and losing the doubles with Marat Safin to Nicolas Escude and Fabrice Santoro on Saturday, agreed to be released from the reverse singles match on Sunday in favor of young Mikhail Youzhny. The younger Russian took his place and took his opponent, Paul-Henri Mathieu, in the decisive fifth rubber.

The final barely over and Kafelnikov was already wavering as to whether he would truly retire. He announced that a decision will be forthcoming next week, but the only thing he knew for sure is he is about to undergo varicose vein surgery in his leg.

Credit should be given to Kafelnikov, who realized that to use his seniority and insist on playing the final match of the tie could have been disastrous for the Russian squad. His willingness to step aside graciously worked for the good of everyone involved even if it didn't do much for his own self-confidence – maybe this type of selflessness stems from a childhood under a communist regime?

"My ego was saying I should play but I realized that Mikhail would give a better effort than I could," Kafelnikov said. "It was tough but I did everything for the best interests of the team. I am proud of what I did – I sent my ego back to Siberia. Sometimes you have got to put your personal ambitions somewhere else."

A NOBLE ... AND SMART ... GESTURE
You can't help but admire the importance that Kafelnikov places on Davis Cup competition and the great desire to bring home a Davis Cup title for the first time in history, even if the glory behind the victory did not belong to him in terms of his performance. But in a certain way the glory did belong to Kafelnikov because he knew that leaving the final two matches to Marat Safin and Youzhny gave his team the best opportunity to prevail.

Kafelnikov's decision only sadly highlights how a country like the United States misses out when their top players fail to get into the Davis Cup spirit and make the competition a personal priority. How ironic it is that the US is the founding country of Davis Cup – Dwight Davis was a Harvard student when he developed the concept for Davis Cup – and these days it's probably the country that takes the competition the most for granted, even though the Yanks own a record 31 titles.

It's true that young American players such as Andy Roddick and James Blake are answering the call to Davis Cup duty, but the elder statesmen aren't being very supportive these days. Although Andre Agassi anchored many Davis Cup squads during the majority of his career, he's not taken part in the competition since 2000. And Pete Sampras, who rarely played Davis Cup throughout his career, had committed to play for the entire 2002 season. But when it came time to venturing to Paris for the semifinals on clay just a couple of weeks after he won his 14th Grand Slam trophy at the US Open in September, he took a pass. True, clay has never been Sampras' best surface, but just his stature as the greatest player in the game could have helped put the US into the final instead of France.

But back to Kafelnikov, who sat on the sidelines watching the 20-year-old Youzhny escape Mathieu's clutches as he came back from a two-set deficit in the final match, it would seem like a good bet that when the 2003 circuit commences, the Russian will be in the game. Even before this bittersweet Davis Cup result for Kafelnikov, it was hard to see the Sochi native abandoning tennis. What he does need to understand is that after so many years on the tour, it might be advisable to no longer attempt to play almost every week of the year, choosing to formulate a leaner tournament schedule.

Not only is the ATP tour wagering that Kafelnikov will be back – his bio in the 2003 ATP Media Guide will occupy two pages – but his compatriot Safin thinks he'll stay around for another year.

Safin said, "He brings big support for the team and he is very important for us and tennis in Russia. Tennis is his life and his career and he loves it."
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:26 AM   #85
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

Kafelnikov has surgery to remove varicose vein

MOSCOW -- Yevgeny Kafelnikov, replaced during Russia's Davis Cup triumph last weekend, has undergone surgery to remove a varicose vein in his left leg in a Zurich hospital.

"Everything went well and he feels fine right now," said Russian tennis chief and Davis Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev after a telephone conversation with Kafelnikov.

On Sunday, Tarpishchev dropped Kafelnikov, who had lost his opening singles and doubles, and replaced him with Mikhail Youzhny for the decisive fifth rubber of the Davis Cup final against France in Paris. Youzhny, 20, beat Paul-Henri Mathieu to give Russia a thrilling 3-2 victory,

Tarpishchev said that he expected Kafelnikov to be back in Moscow on Thursday as the Russians plan to honor their Davis Cup heroes the following day.

Kafelnikov, 28, said he would retire from the sport if Russia won the Davis Cup for the first time.
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Jessi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:17 PM   #86
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute

Good news

Now get well Zhenia, make your decision and let us all know!
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:35 AM   #87
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics
Zhenya please don't retire just yet
give it one more go

glad the op went pretty ok
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 12:27 PM   #88
Bubble

Bubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond reputeBubble has a reputation beyond repute

Zhenya, play onemore year ya?

Bubble is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 05:30 PM   #89
country flag madten

madten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond reputemadten has a reputation beyond repute

Today on the news they showed the meeting of Mr. Putin with Misha, Marat and Zhenya. It was in the official out-of-town residence of the president. Misha was very shy, Marat was just staring at mr. Putin and Zhenya always was looking upstairs....... don't know why.... That was fun. But concerning that Misha doesn't have much experience in such meetings (particularly with the president) he was doing great. He said "I wouldn't say that it was me who had done so much for the victory. Not only our team won the DC but the WHOLE country. I'm so happy and proud that I grew up in such a beautiful country and I love it". How cute.... That was so touching =) He is great. Then the journalist asked "what's next?" Misha replied: "Just trainings and new tournaments will start again and again". and hten Marat said "The same problem for me". Isn't it cute???
Mr. Putin got Kafelnikov's racquet as a present and all guys were awarded with orders of "Russian Sport Fame". All this was very fun to watch!!!
Zhenya is still limping a little bit and he said that he doesn't know if he still stays in tennis. He will see how his leg will be going... Hope it's alright.
I've watched all this 4 times in the news!!!! Wanna see it again!!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 07:43 PM   #90
country flag TennisHack

Zhenya is STAYING!!

I hope he plays a modified schedule next year, picking and choosing his events. I'd really like to see him go out on top!