Roger news and articles III - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #61
country flag riddle05580

riddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=51024

ROGERS CUP

July 23, 2008

Roger Federer

TORONTO, ONTARIO

G. SIMON/R. Federer
2-6, 7-5, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What happened today?

ROGER FEDERER: Missed opportunities, I guess. One of those matches maybe I think I should have never lost, you know. Having an easy volley in the, what was it, 3-1 and game point. That one cost me dearly in the end, so it was a disappointing match today.

Q. Seems as though your mentally and physically drained from Wimbledon.

ROGER FEDERER: You wouldn't have asked me that if I would have won, right? So I guess.

Q. Talk about part of Simon's game that was the most troubling to you or just the most difficult to play against tonight.

ROGER FEDERER: No, I think the problem was my game today, you know. I had everything to really put him away. I didn't think I served well today at all. It's tough. Different balls than at Wimbledon.

I was serving 70% in Wimbledon and here I'm serving 50%. Can't serve any aces, so it's just a different type of the match.
Maybe I guess first match on hard court couldn't sneak through maybe the way I usually can, so it hurts obviously. It hurts your momentum because I think I get through the match and I get into the tournament and start playing better.

But I got caught cold, so it's kind of hard.

Q. In the last game of the match, I think a lot of people were expecting you to still come back and maybe take it to 5-All. The four unforced errors in a row was so unusual to see that from you. What happened there?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't remember those points. It's all a blur right now, so...

Q. How do you regroup?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, what do we got, four days?

Q. Yeah.

ROGER FEDERER: Great. So, no, I don't know. Play doubles. Try to win the doubles here. That's what I'm looking at here.

Q. I saw you were not too happy with the officiating?

ROGER FEDERER: With the what, the umpire?

Q. Yeah.

ROGER FEDERER: Never an issue for me. I'm never going to win or lose because of an umpire, so I don't care.

Q. To some extent, do you agree with Justine Henin's decision to retire at the peak of her career?

ROGER FEDERER: Do I agree with that? Not today. Ask me another day. Please don't kill me with questions like this.

Q. In the third set I think you guys were tied 4-4 and he was up 15-Love on his serve. You had a ball that was called in and he challenged it and it was in. It was right, but it seemed they didn't award you a point. I don't know if you caught that, but some of us watching picked that up, and he won the next point and you weren't really awarded anything.

ROGER FEDERER: What happened there?

Q. It was 15-Love on his serve.

ROGER FEDERER: Then?

Q. He challenged a call and it was in and it remained 15-Love and you didn't get anything and he picked up the next point and it went to 30-Love.

ROGER FEDERER: But it was supposed to be replayed, so I don't think I could have taken the point. The best I could get out of that situation was to replay the point. That's what I got, and I lost the point.

Yeah, I mean, that's the problem sometimes like on clay, right? You stop play and it's good so you replay the point. If it was a clean winner, yeah, then obviously it's 15-All, but not in that situation.

Q. Seemed that he was very willing to trade forehands with you, sort of crosscourt forehands, which seems a bit unusual. Did you pick up on that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, he's a good baseliner. We saw that today. He moves well. He's deceiving because he's kind of thin and tall but moves really well for his height, you know. He flicks a lot of balls with his backhand as well, so when you come in you can't see where he plays.

Yeah, I mean, I think I did really well for a long time trading forehands with him. As the match went on I struggled a little bit to put the forehands away. Got maybe a little bit unlucky to get broken in the second set when he had a net cord and a shank on the line. I ended up losing that game.

Of course I came back, but I think I had really good momentum and I was playing well. I should have put him away in two sets. After that I guess he got a little bit of a lift and he was comfortable trading forehands with me. So, you know who knows, maybe in the long run paid him the match really. I don't know.

Q. At 4-3 in the third I believe you were serving. You had an exchange with the chair umpire. Could you talk about that?

ROGER FEDERER: Not today.

Q. No?

ROGER FEDERER: Didn't lose because of that.

Q. Everyone has losses...

ROGER FEDERER: Another try. Here we go.

Q. Sorry.

ROGER FEDERER: No problem.

Q. How do you regroup from something like this for the rest of the hard court season?

ROGER FEDERER: It's a bad start, no doubt. Wish it could have been different. Like I said, going to try to do well in doubles and practice on the side.

Only really three, four days of practice since Wimbledon. It's not an excuse in any way, but I'm going to get some practice in. There's plenty of players around, so don't know when I'm leaving this place and going to Cincy yet. Depends on the doubles much.

It's important to stay positive. Hard court season just started. It's the start of, what is it, nine months of hard court. It's not the end of the world, but I wish it could have started better.

I like this surface and like this tournament. I've done well here in the past, so it definitely hurts.

But like you say, I've got to regroup and look forward. Bigger picture is the Olympic Games and the US Open. This is really the place where I want to win, so I have to make sure I'm ready for that.

End of FastScripts

Last edited by riddle05580 : 07-24-2008 at 02:58 PM.
riddle05580 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #62
country flag anon57

anon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond repute

He comes across very snappy and irritated in the transcript. Unfortunately unless he raises his level he'll have to deal with these kind of press conferences more often so he'd better get used to it.
anon57 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #63
country flag riddle05580

riddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond reputeriddle05580 has a reputation beyond repute

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/trave...o-roger-a.html

Toronto: Roger and the Monster

Posted 07/24/2008 @ 6 :36 AM

Were those tears again?

One of the most poignant moments following the Wimbledon final was watching Roger Federer being interviewed by John McEnroe and having to turn hurriedly away as his disappointment liquefied.

Now his return to the court had just ended in a 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 defeat to Gilles Simon in Toronto, and again his face betrayed the tell-tale signs of eyes welling up.

Poor Roger. Who could have imagined thinking those words a year ago?

The result itself is minor compared to the context. First the "hardest loss" of a career, then an opening-round exit in the following tournament -- two events that reverberate against each other and create an exponentially bigger ripple about Federer's game and state of mind. Is his confidence shattered?

More immediately, is this a Wimbledon hangover?

Federer shrugged. "You wouldn't have asked me that if I would have won, right?"

True enough, but that only highlights what's changed for Federer this season. For so much of the past four years, he's pre-empted probing questions by somehow always managing to slip through the dangerous contests that crop up week in and week out. On his way to the Toronto title two years ago, Federer dropped the second set 7-5 twice -- to heavy hitters Dmitry Tursunov in the third round and Fernando Gonzalez in the semis -- but lifted his game and hit some spectacular winners to soar through in the third. This time, he slumped instead, losing his grip on his forehand and serve in what's becoming an increasingly common theme to his defeats this year.

The shift is small, but the difference is enormous. Federer used to win the matches he could have lost. Now, he's losing matches he could have won.

"I guess, first match on hardcourt, I couldnt' sneak through maybe the way I usually can," he said. "I think I get through the match and I get into the tournament and I start playing better. But I got caught cold, so it's kind of hard."

Defeat never actually seemed imminent until it actually arrived. Federer had cruised through the first set, looking like his usual free-flowing self while Simon blinked in the glare of the stadium lights and the glitter of Federer's game.

But Federer's forehand, which had been working so well in the early going, increasingly began to go astray during the late stages of the second set. The two exchanged breaks in the sixth and seventh games, but Federer played a loose game to drop his serve to love at 5-6 and suddenly found himself in a deciding third set.

The ship looked like it had been righted once again when Federer took a 3-1 lead in the third, but by now, an emboldened Simon was putting increasing pressure on Federer during rallies and taking advantage of the top seed's erratic serving. Despite the cool evening, Federer was pink and glowing with sweat, having testy conversations with umpire Norm Chryst. Another exchange of breaks followed, and then, serving in the dangerous territory of 4-5, Federer produced four straight unforced errors to hand victory to a stunned Simon.

"Missed opportunities," was how Federer summed up the match afterwards. "I think I had everything to put him away... having an easy volley at 3-1, game point -- that cost me dearly in the end.

"One of those matches maybe I think I should never have lost."

It will probably cost him the No. 1 ranking over the next few weeks.

He couldn't hide the hurt afterwards, clutching his face with his hands when an oblique question about Justine Henin's retirement was lobbed out during the post-match press conference. "Not today. Ask me another day. Please don't kill me with questions like this."

But why the inability to find an extra gear these days? The setback at the beginning of the year, combined with the tantalizing closeness of the Grand Slam record, may have created a little extra pressure and concern that destabilized the near-perfect calibration he had managed to achieve. Recently, the trigger has been squeezed too hard -- or sometimes, not enough. And as the losses pile up, the situation only feels more urgent. Roddick echoed this sentiment when talking about himself earlier in the week: "I felt like I was trying to play catch-up the whole time. I think that slowly kept at me and kind of culminated in what you saw in that match."

It's hard not to think back to Federer's classic comment at the Australian Open. "I've created a monster," he had said. "I always need to win every tournament."

The monster has not been fed often this year, and its roars are growing increasingly loud. If Federer has a task now, it's to stop this match he should have won from causing him to lose others down the road. He said he was rusty, having practiced for only three or four days after Wimbledon -- something he plans to rectify over the next few days. But a few more exits like this, and the season wil soon be unsalvagable.

And he's already got a plan for the rest of the week: "Try to win the doubles here. That's what I'm looking at."

A small victory to aim for, but the monster might settle for it at this point.
riddle05580 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #64
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Q. To some extent, do you agree with Justine Henin's decision to retire at the peak of her career?

ROGER FEDERER: Do I agree with that? Not today. Ask me another day. Please don't kill me with questions like this.

I hate this Fu**ing reporter!!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #65
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute

The joy of tennis seems to have been sucked out of him. Maybe he needs to take a break from everything.
Rommella is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #66
country flag Eden
Thanks for a great year

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

With loss, questions resurface about Federer's state of mind
By Kamakshi Tandon
July 24, 2008,

TORONTO -- Were those tears again?
One of the most poignant moments following the Wimbledon final was watching Roger Federer being interviewed by John McEnroe and having to turn hurriedly away as his disappointment liquefied.
Now his return to the court had just ended in a 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 defeat to Gilles Simon in Toronto on Wednesday, and again his face betrayed the tell-tale signs of eyes welling up.
Poor Roger. Who could have imagined thinking those words a year ago?
The result itself is minor compared to the context. First the "hardest loss" of a career, then an opening-round exit in the following tournament -- two events that reverberate against each other and create an exponentially bigger ripple about Federer's game and state of mind. Is his confidence shattered?

AP Photo/The Canadian Press,/Frank Gunn
Roger Federer suffered his worst loss in Canada since 2002.

More immediately, is this a Wimbledon hangover?
Federer shrugged. "You wouldn't have asked me that if I would have won, right?"
True enough, but that only highlights what's changed for Federer this season. For so much of the past four years, he's pre-empted probing questions by somehow always managing to slip through the dangerous contests that crop up week in and week out. On his way to the Toronto title two years ago, Federer dropped the second set 7-5 twice -- to heavy hitters Dmitry Tursunov in the third round and Fernando Gonzalez in the semis -- but lifted his game and hit some spectacular winners to soar through in the third. This time, he slumped instead, losing his grip on his forehand and serve in what's becoming an increasingly common theme to his defeats this year.
The shift is small, but the difference is enormous. Federer used to win the matches he could have lost. Now, he's losing matches he could have won.
"I guess, first match on hard court, I couldn't sneak through maybe the way I usually can," he said. "I think I get through the match and I get into the tournament and I start playing better. But I got caught cold, so it's kind of hard."
Defeat never actually seemed imminent until it actually arrived. Federer had cruised through the first set, looking like his usual free-flowing self while Simon blinked in the glare of the stadium lights and the glitter of Federer's game.
But Federer's forehand, which had been working so well in the early going, increasingly began to go astray during the late stages of the second set. The two exchanged breaks in the sixth and seventh games, but Federer played a loose game to drop his serve to love at 5-6 and suddenly found himself in a deciding third set.
The ship looked like it had been righted once again when Federer took a 3-1 lead in the third, but by now, an emboldened Simon was putting increasing pressure on Federer during rallies and taking advantage of the top seed's erratic serving. Despite the cool evening, Federer was pink and glowing with sweat, having testy conversations with umpire Norm Chryst. Another exchange of breaks followed, and then, serving in the dangerous territory of 4-5, Federer produced four straight unforced errors to hand victory to a stunned Simon.
"Missed opportunities," was how Federer summed up the match afterwards. "I think I had everything to put him away … having an easy volley at 3-1, game point -- that cost me dearly in the end.
"One of those matches maybe I think I should never have lost."
It will probably cost him the No. 1 ranking over the next few weeks.
He couldn't hide the hurt afterwards, clutching his face with his hands when an oblique question about Justine Henin's retirement was lobbed out during the postmatch press conference. "Not today. Ask me another day. Please don't kill me with questions like this."
But why the inability to find an extra gear these days? The setback at the beginning of the year, combined with the tantalizing closeness of the Grand Slam record, may have created a little extra pressure and concern that destabilized the near-perfect calibration he had managed to achieve. Recently, the trigger has been squeezed too hard -- or sometimes, not enough. And as the losses pile up, the situation only feels more urgent. Roddick echoed this sentiment when talking about himself earlier in the week: "I felt like I was trying to play catch-up the whole time. I think that slowly kept at me and kind of culminated in what you saw in that match."
It's hard not to think back to Federer's classic comment at the Australian Open. "I've created a monster," he had said. "I always need to win every tournament."
The monster has not been fed often this year, and its roars are growing increasingly loud. If Federer has a task now, it's to stop this match he should have won from causing him to lose others down the road. He said he was rusty, having practiced for only three or four days after Wimbledon -- something he plans to rectify over the next few days. But a few more exits like this, and the season wil soon be unsalvagable.
And he's already got a plan for the rest of the week: "Try to win the doubles here. That's what I'm looking at."
A small victory to aim for, but the monster might settle for it at this point.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=3503254
Eden is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #67
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
they judge a season by grandslams won.....so technically nadal is 2-0 up even if roger was to win the US open it'd be 2-1...get it

... er yes I do ... but that's not how I look at the world rankings which is based on a roll over from the previous year. Anyway, after last night it looks pretty academic ... sadly.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #68
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post

I hate this Fu**ing reporter!!!!
I'm as angry as you Suktuen about that question ... and Roger's reply made me want to cry ... and he's still classy enough to say "Please .... ". I'd have told them to F Off or words to that effect!
Minnie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #69
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
that's where mental strength comes in most importantly... roger used to have great mental strength... that was when he was in a roll... so at critical moments he always had been able to dig out of the hole he was in... but now it shows how fragile state he is in...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #70
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I'm as angry as you Suktuen about that question ... and Roger's reply made me want to cry ... and he's still classy enough to say "Please .... ". I'd have told them to F Off or words to that effect!
YES!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #71
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

The 'monster' that consumes Federer
TOM TEBBUTT

ttebbutt@globeandmail.com

July 25, 2008

TORONTO -- The angst was so palpable after Roger Federer's loss at the Rogers Cup on Wednesday that grief counsellors might have been helpful for fans of the great Swiss player.

It was heart-wrenching for Federer-philes to watch him collapse so utterly in the final games of both the second and third sets of his 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 loss to Gilles Simon of France.

Nerves were clearly a factor. He was painfully incapable of controlling a wayward forehand that landed everywhere but in the court.

Yesterday, everyone had questions.

Simon, ranked No. 22, had won last week's ATP event in Indianapolis and played at a high level. But that is still not the main reason for Federer's 50 unforced errors and, after the first set, his inability to put away the Frenchman.

The most likely explanation is that in the three previous years, Federer, a creature of habit, had a four-week or five-week break after Wimbledon and before the North American hard-court season. That gave him time to relax and tune up, usually at his residence in Dubai.

This year, with the compressed schedule because of the Beijing Olympics, he had only two weeks, not as much as he would like.

Also, Federer's malaise may date to last November. After another long year - and during the week after a gruelling win at the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai - he played exhibitions with Pete Sampras in South Korea, Malaysia and Macau.

Those were in his bulletproof days, when he had won three of the four Grand Slams for the third time in four years. In hindsight, maybe he pushed the envelope, cutting into his off-season, and it contributed to the mononucleosis that subsequently afflicted him at the Australian Open, where he lost to eventual champion Novak Djokovic.

After that defeat in January, Federer tellingly remarked: "I've created a monster. So I know I need to always win every tournament."

He appeared to be over the mono by April, but by then he had lost to Andy Murray (Dubai), Mardy Fish (Indian Wells, Calif.) and Andy Roddick (Miami). He was badgered with subtle and not-so-subtle variations of "What's wrong?" at news media conferences week in and week out.

His honeymoon years of success had made repetitive questions bearable, but losing precipitated a noticeable weariness in his relations with the media.

Tiger Woods once told Federer that he never did more than 30 minutes of media conferences at a tournament. The affable Federer, after one Australian Open triumph, could be seen answering questions - in English, French or Swiss German - more than three hours after his win.

Wednesday, he was red-eyed and distraught after losing, when questioning reached a nadir.

Reporter: "To some extent, do you agree with Justine Henin's decision to retire at the peak of her career?"

Federer: "Do I agree with that? Not today. Ask me another day. Please don't kill me with questions like this."

Jim Courier, who went through "what's wrong?" questioning repeatedly when he fell from No. 1 and well behind Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi during the mid-1990s, said yesterday: "I have long admired Roger's patience and grace with fans and media. Persistently negative questions will surely [and rightly] irk Roger. [But] it's simply something prominent people have to deal with."

That is little consolation for Federer, who will play in Cincinnati next week and the Olympics next month.

Maybe some consolation for his devoted fans is his loss to Roddick in March, when he played a horrendous, error-strewn game (as against Simon) to lose serve to love at 3-4 in the final set of his first loss in 13 matches against the American.

He bounced back with a solid clay-court season and then a sensational performance in the Wimbledon final.

In the end, the best thing for tennis about Federer's debacle on Wednesday is that it shows how people care so passionately, on an almost visceral level, for this sublime player and essentially fine person.

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #72
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Link: http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennis...080725?sp=true

Federer seeks golden tonic in Beijing

By Martyn Herman

LONDON (Reuters) - Roger Federer's crown has lost its lustre and a shiny medal of Olympic gold would be very welcome for the king of men's tennis.

After being thrashed by Rafael Nadal in the French Open final, the Swiss maestro lost again at Wimbledon to the Spaniard who won a five-set epic on Federer's Centre Court fortress.

The world number one turns 27 on the day of the Beijing opening ceremony and he will have to rediscover his A-game after also suffering a surprise defeat in the Toronto Masters to France's Gilles Simon.

Nadal is again lurking in the strongest field at an Olympic tournament since it returned to the Games in 1988.

The top five men in the world and seven of the top 10 women will gather in Beijing. Women's champion Justine Henin retired this year and Amelie Mauresmo, silver medallist in Athens, is also absent, with an injury.

Wimbledon champion Venus and sister Serena will start as favourites to emulate their domination in Sydney eight years ago when Venus won the singles and then teamed up with her "little" sister to win the doubles.

"I love the Olympics," Venus said at Wimbledon where she claimed her seventh grand slam title by beating Serena.

"To add to my medal would be amazing. It's probably bigger than a slam, I think so, definitely."

The highlights of Federer's two previous Olympic Games amount to meeting his long-standing girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec in Sydney and carrying the Swiss flag at the opening ceremony in Athens four years ago.

SPECIAL VIBE

In 2000 he lost a semi-final to Tommy Haas and then let a bronze medal slip through his fingers against Frenchman Arnaud Di Pasquale. Four years later he lost in the second round to Tomas Berdych.

"Last time was quite disappointing, losing in the second round but nevertheless, going there was one of the biggest experiences in life," the Swiss said in Toronto this week.

More used to staying in fancy hotels, Federer appreciates the special vibe of the Olympic Village and says winning gold in Beijing would be one of the highlights of his career. It could also be his last chance.

Nadal said recently Beijing was his third priority behind the French Open and Wimbledon. With those two in the bag this year, the 22-year-old will be going full tilt next month.

Despite a hard DecoTurf surface that does not compliment his game as well as clay or grass, nobody will be better prepared for the blast-furnace heat expected in Beijing than the dynamic Spaniard who could oust Federer from the top spot by 2009.

The surface suits world number three Novak Djokovic of Serbia as he demonstrated at Indian Wells this year.

"It's my dream to play at the Olympics," said Djokovic, who is expected to carry the Serbian flag at the opening ceremony in his first Games. "It unites all athletes from around the world, it's very special."

Reigning champion Nicolas Massu, who also partnered Fernando Gonzales to victory in the doubles in 2004, needed a special ITF invite and is unlikely to last long.

Zheng Jie's run to the women's semi-finals at Wimbledon has stoked home hopes of Chinese success. Zheng won the Wimbledon and Australian Open doubles titles in 2006 with long-time partner Yan Zi and will be aiming to repeat the feat of Athens gold medallists Sun Tiantian and Li Ting.

Serbia have high hopes for women's world number one Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic while Russia have a formidable quartet of Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Elena Dementieva and Dinara Safina.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Robert Woodward)

(For more stories visit our multimedia website "Road to Beijing" here; and see our blog at blogs.reuters.com/china)

© Thomson Reuters 2008 All rights reserved.

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #73
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Reporter: "To some extent, do you agree with Justine Henin's decision to retire at the peak of her career?"

Federer: "Do I agree with that? Not today. Ask me another day. Please don't kill me with questions like this."
Absolutely horrible to read Roger's emotional answer to this question. But I have to admit that me and many of my friends - not surprisingly fans of Roger - had the same question roaming around in their heads as well...

There is however a difference between thinking of this question and actually asking it the poor victim after such a humiliating loss.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #74
country flag SUKTUEN

Federer seeks golden tonic in Beijing

~~

Roger!! See you in China!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #75
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute

Bachchans outplay Federer
25 Jul 2008, 0000 hrs IST, VICKEY LALWANI ,TNN
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/E...ow/3273129.cms

So this is why Federer lost ...
Rommella is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread