Roger news and articles III - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #46
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Federer focused on Olympic gold not grand slam glory

TORONTO, July 21 (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer launches his Olympic preparations and his North American hardcourt campaign this week at the Toronto Masters, targeting Beijing gold as his top priority for the remainder of the year.[/font]
Federer, who lost in the French Open and Wimbledon finals to Rafael Nadal, will travel immediately after the Beijing Games to defend his U.S. Open title in New York.
"If maybe I am a player who doesn't have any grand slams, maybe a grand slam would still do more for my own career," Federer told reporters on Monday. "But because I have 12 already, for me an Olympic gold ranks as high.
"I was very proud to represent the Swiss in the 2000 Olympics and really just missed a medal.
"Last time was quite disappointing losing the second round but nevertheless, going there was one of the biggest experiences in life.
"So as long as I can walk and play, I will always come and play the Olympics.
"Who knows maybe I will carry the flag.
"That would be a great honour as well; my birthday is on the opening day (Aug. 8) as well so that's going to be nice, too.
"It ranks very, very high in my scale, absolutely."
While Federer has enjoyed his Olympic experiences they have yet to yield a medal.
At the 2000 Sydney Games, Federer lost the bronze medal match to Arnaud Di Pasquale then four years later crashed out in the second round to Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic at Athens.
Most of the world's top 20 players will be in Beijing, including Spain's Nadal, though the world number two does not quite put the same value on Olympic gold as Federer.
"A little bit less," said Nadal, comparing a grand slam title with an Olympic medal. "For us grand slam is different. Grand slam is special.
"Olympics are important but after a grand slam."
(Editing by Greg Stutchbury)

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7668314

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #47
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal remains relaxed as he gains on Federer
By Bill Scott, dpa

Toronto (dpa) - Rafael Nadal refuses to consider himself world number one despite winning Wimbledon over Roger Federer as the pair begin play at the Toronto Masters.

The Spaniard who starts in the second round after a bye, said Monday that until the rankings show differently, he remains second in the world behind Swiss star Federer.

"I'm having a good season, but still number two," said Nadal, the four-time French Open winner. "But I still have the same motivation to continue improving my tennis."

Nadal, the 2005 champion in Canada and a semi-finalist last year against Novak Djokovic, said he still hopes to someday reach the top spot.

"Everybody wants to be number one, I do for sure. But right now I only want to play a very good tournament here in Toronto."

After the right wrist injury pullout of Marcos Baghdatis, Nadal will play the winner from a match between a qualifier and a Canadian.

He is seeded to meet top-seed Federer in the final. And he's not taking anything for granted despite pulling close to Federer in the points chase.

"I have less points to defend, but normally he plays better than me on this kind of surface. He did very well for the last five years in this tournament," Nadal said of Federer, last year's losing finalist to Novak Djokovic and the 2004 and 2006 winner.

European seeds advanced into the second round of a day interrupted around midday by rain, with Stan Wawrinka, the number nine, leading the way.

Federer began his week with a defeat of Italian Simone Bolelli 6- 4, 7-6 (7-4), while 10th seed Richard Gasquet, fighting to get back into the Top 10, advanced over compatriot Michel Llodra 6-2, 4-6, 6- 3.

"I'm happy to win this match but it's difficult to win against a friend," said Gasquet after handing Llodra his fifth defeat without a win in Canada.

"Michael has a big serve and he tried to play one or two strokes to win the point. I tried to fight but I'm happy to have gotten through in the wind."

There was victory for Spain's number 12 Tommy Robredo as he predictably dashed early Canadian hopes with a win over number 208 Frederic Niemeyer 7-6 (7-4), 6-1.

Chile's number 14 Fernando Gonzalez beat Frenchman Julien Benneteau 6-2, 6-1 while Germany's Nicolas Kiefer eliminated American Mardy Fish 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #48
country flag Daniel

Nadal offers Federer no easy answers

Swiss star looks to live up to No. 1 ranking

Bruce Arthur, National Post Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Technically, it was the first day of the Rogers Cup yesterday, complete with top-10 players, a rain delay, the works. It all looked like the real thing, from the matches to the practice courts to the sandwiches on ciabatta bread.

But everybody knew the tournament hasn't really begun yet, because of the Tiger Woods rule: If the best player in the world isn't playing, it's just not the same. In tennis, however, there are two Tigers -- No. 1 Roger Federer, and fast-closing No. 2 Rafael Nadal, and the tournament doesn't truly start until they do.

The consensus that is supposed to be tested this week is that Nadal has finally surpassed Federer by overcoming him in yet another French Open and -- more significantly, in the greatest match anyone can remember -- at Wimbledon. As tennis legend Boris Becker put it, "There is still a No. 1 called Federer, but I think if you talk to anybody in the world of tennis [the person] who is considered for now the No. 1 player in the world [is] the winner of French Open and Wimbledon. I think there's a change in position at the moment."

Federer, of course, disagreed on Sunday, putting Nadal just a level above fallen or unproven challengers like Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick, Marat Safin, and the world's current No. 3, Novak Djokovic. Nadal, too, deflected the suggestion that he is the best, though he also admitted he wouldn't say it if he felt it was true.
"First of all, I never going to say something like this from me," the Spaniard said in his charming and idiosyncratic English. "Second, I don't think so, no? ?I think nobody don't wants to be No. 1. I wants to be No. 1 for sure, but right now I don't want to be No. 1. Right now I only want to play a very good tournament here in Toronto."

Everyone else wants that, too -- another epic Federer-Nadal final, the tennis of the gods. But as much as this week could provide another chapter in the world's most compelling sporting rivalry of the moment, it's also just the first step of a long march that will visit Beijing, the U. S. Open, and the season-ending Masters Series in Shanghai. There's still time for Federer -- who suffered silently from mononucleosis early in the season -- to redeem his year of living dangerously.
"I think for me, Roger is the best player ever in the world, and Nadal is one of the best for the moment," says Stanislas Wawrinka, Federer's Swiss countryman and doubles partner, ranked 10th in the world in singles. "We didn't realize what [Federer] did the last few years, and now of course, Rafa is in good shape -- he's been very good.
"But I want to see the next few months to see what's going to happen, because if you see the last few years Nadal didn't really play good in the end of the season ? and I think Roger is going to play very well."

Nadal has never quite soared on hardcourt, but he seems unconcerned. But then, he seems unconcerned about everything. Yesterday, he was a thickly muscled human shrug.
"I can improve my game in every surface, no?" he said. "On clay, grass, hard, indoor, every place I can improve, no?"

That's a terrifying thought, given that at age 22 he is already probably the best clay-court player in history, and his improvement on grass was enough to deny Federer a sixth consecutive Wimbledon title. As Becker puts it, "You cannot really blame [Federer] for playing badly. You can only give credit to Nadal." This begs the question: Where can Federer, who will turn 27 on the first day of the Olympics, get better?

Ask Wawrinka, who knows Federer well, and his face scrunches up like it's a final exam.
"Is difficult, is tough question," he says after a pause. "I think there is always something you can do to improve, to be better, to win more and more matches, and to be the best player. But I don't know what, exactly.
"Maybe, maybe -- maybe for him it is good that Nadal is better now," Wawrinka adds. "Because you know what? I think when you are number one -- and you are like him, you're number one easy -- it's difficult to be better, to see you need to be better, because you are the best player. But now you have Nadal, he's coming, coming, and he's knocking on the door. So maybe [Federer's] going to try to find something to be better. He has to be, because if not, Rafa is going to be number one, I think."

Richard Gasquet has beaten Federer and while he says a meeting on anything but clay is 50-50, he also agrees that "With Nadal, [Federer] has to improve." But how? Federer insists he can do it because he only started winning Grand Slams at 22, he has "many, many more years left." On the other, he says "I've worked as hard as I could trying to always stay ahead of the pack." So harder work doesn't seem like the answer, if there is one to be found.

Will this week decide anything? Only if Nadal wins another epic final. If tennis is truly fortunate, this Valhallan wrestling match will continue for years. If Toronto is truly fortunate, it will make it through the week.

barthur@nationalpost.com

Link: http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/...7-33f0fea02d7f

Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #49
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Federer ranked No. 1 but Becker says Nadal is world's top male tennis player

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #50
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer can only get worse from here on out which means more beatdowns by Nadal on every surface. Final H2H:

Nadal 22 Federer 6
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #51
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Do we need to post like every article that mentions Roger? Most of these are BS anway.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #52
country flag *esther*

*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute*esther* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
I know, it's just an exho and you can't compare it with a real tournament, but nevertheless there is a flight into a different country, a new timezone and lots of media stuff to do.
The exho will be playing right after TMC Shanghai, we, Malaysia shares same timezone with China, it's only takes 5 hours flight to Kuala Lumpur. It's our pleasure to watch although it's only an exho because we dont have major ATP tournaments here. Last year we had really great fun.

newly recruited : StanislasWAWRINKA*GillesSIMON*Tsung-huaYANG

Please vote for Rendy's NEW FORUM
*esther* is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #53
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Roger can spent many money play exho match~~~
but I don't think it is good play with Nadal.
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #54
country flag Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Do we need to post like every article that mentions Roger? Most of these are BS anway.
No one forces you to read every article and yes I post every article that mentions Roger for everyone to read and enjoy

Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #55
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish the media could get it right ... Nadal is the most successful player so far in 2008 but is not the "real" No 1 ... as far as I recall (and my memory does fail me at times) 2008 isn't over yet ... we are still only in July aren't we ... or did I miss a few months here and there? It isn't nearly Christmas is it
Minnie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #56
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I just wish the media could get it right ... Nadal is the most successful player so far in 2008 but is not the "real" No 1 ... as far as I recall (and my memory does fail me at times) 2008 isn't over yet ... we are still only in July aren't we ... or did I miss a few months here and there? It isn't nearly Christmas is it
For some people, the tennis season only lasts from March to July. Can't really help 'em, no?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #57
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
they judge a season by grandslams won.....so technically nadal is 2-0 up even if roger was to win the US open it'd be 2-1...get it
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #58
country flag Daniel

Roger Federer drops 1st match since Wimbledon loss

TORONTO (AP) — Top-ranked Roger Federer was knocked out of the Rogers Cup with a 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 loss to France's Gilles Simon in a second-round match Wednesday night.

Federer, who won the tournament in 2004 and '06, was playing his first match since losing the Wimbeldon final in five sets to Spain's Rafael Nadal.

"That's just unbelievable for me to win against him," Simon said.

Federer, who became the first top seed to lose in his first match here since Lleyton Hewitt in 2002, finished second here last year to Serbia's Novak Djokovic.

"The problem was my game today," Federer said.

It was the biggest surprise of a soggy day at the tournament that saw play disrupted for nearly six hours by thundershowers.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #59
country flag Daniel

Link: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...5aVqE4ox7K3hlg

Federer in tennis ranking crisis after opening Toronto defeat

TORONTO (AFP) — Roger Federer's number one ranking slid into the danger zone as the Swiss suffered an opening-match loss to Gilles Simon 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 in the second round of the ATP Masters Series event.

After starting 2008 with a lead of 1,445 ranking points over Rafael Nadal, an off-the-boil season which now counts 10 defeats in 53 matches has Federer facing the possibility of losing the top spot he has held for 234 weeks since 2004.

"It's a bad start, no doubt," said Federer. "I wish it could have been different. Now I'm going to get some practise in."

While Nadal cannot take over the top spot even with a second title in Canada, site of his first career hardcourt crown, the pressure is now huge on 12-time Grand Slam champion Federer.

Only a few hundred points will separate the leading pair if Nadal does well this week.

The Swiss went out in the first round just under five months ago, losing to Andy Murray in Dubai in early March, and was sent packing again in his first match since surrendering his Wimbledon crown.

Federer was beaten in this month's classic Wimbledon final by Nadal, who reached the third round in Canada on after a day delayed six hours by rain.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #60
country flag Daniel

Agitated Federer Unravels in Toronto First Round Loss to Simon

by Sean Randall

I guess in retrospect calling Roger Federer’s Toronto draw “dicey” was being kind to the Swiss after he got bounced just a short while ago in three sets by Frenchman Gilles Simon.

Federer, in a very rare display, looked about as agitated and irritated as I’ve ever seen him. Up a break in the third set, seemingly back in control and serving at 4-3, 15-15 Federer got an out call along the baseline on a perceived forehand winner. With only one challenge left and following a brief chat with ump Norm Chryst, Federer opted to forgo using the challenge thereby losing the point, and eventually the game and his break advantage. But more importantly, at that point mentally Federer simply lost the plot. A rarity.

Per shotspot replay, the ball was on the line so had Federer challenged he would have won the point and kept his challenge, and maybe things would have worked out differently. Would have, could have…

But it looked like the call and his lack of challenge just ate away at Roger as he sprayed forehands all about the court, giving Simon a very well-earned 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 win.

Credit to Simon who I thought going in figured to be very rough customer for Roger. It didn’t look like that early but Simon steadied up and ultimately let Roger self-destruct.

Overall, I’m not really stunned that Federer would lose in this situation to Simon, but I am stunned by the way Roger lost - a mental meltdown late in the match. I just have never really seen that from him in such a crucial time in a match. And I have to think it’s in part due to the sub-par year he’s had and the fact that Rafael Nadal’s is ever so close to his precious No. 1 spot. It seems to be all closing in on Roger, and as I said before we are going to find out a lot about the Swiss the next 45 days. And right now it doesn’t look good.

Nadal meanwhile didn’t look great this afternoon in a 6-4, 6-2 win over Jesse Levine, but he dug out of a 4-1 hole in the first set and unlike Roger, he got through in the end. And with Federer now out Nadal has got to recognize and take advantage of the situation. No. 1 is now there for the taking. And I have to think he’ll be the top seed at the Open now.

In other matches today, James Blake needed a surprising three sets to beat Jonas Bjorkman. Igor Andreev, Nadal’s foe Thursday, sent home Tomas Berdych. Robin Soderling, Jose Acasuso, Dmitry Tursunov, Marin Cilic, Nikolay Davydenko and Richard Gasquet were some of the other winners.

Link: http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2008-07-23/550.php

Closed Thread