Roger news and articles III - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #31
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Thanks for posting Roger's official presser Always good to hear what he has to say.

About the exho against Nadal: What's the need for this again? These two players promote tennis throughout the whole year, critizice the tight schedule and then don't say no to the money they are offered to play in such a match

I know, it's just an exho and you can't compare it with a real tournament, but nevertheless there is a flight into a different country, a new timezone and lots of media stuff to do.
Eden is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #32
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Thanks for posting Roger's official presser Always good to hear what he has to say.

About the exho against Nadal: What's the need for this again? These two players promote tennis throughout the whole year, critizice the tight schedule and then don't say no to the money they are offered to play in such a match

I know, it's just an exho and you can't compare it with a real tournament, but nevertheless there is a flight into a different country, a new timezone and lots of media stuff to do.
I have no words. It's ridiculous.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #33
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Mellow yellow, that was my original reaction "What was he thinking?!!!"

But giving it a second thought, I think that chickening out of it would have sent an even worst message, I'm sure he's taking the result of the Wimby final (and his other results this year, especially against Rafa VERY seriously), but I'm glad he's not having a freakout.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #34
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post

But giving it a second thought, I think that chickening out of it would have sent an even worst message, I'm sure he's taking the result of the Wimby final (and his other results this year, especially against Rafa VERY seriously), but I'm glad he's not having a freakout.
He certainly could have said no, they get someone else and no one is the wiser....and even if it leaks out....no one cares about exhos anyway....except maybe the fedal fans will care about this one.

I didn't care so much last year, but given what Roger's all gone through this year it would be nice to have a proper off season where he could take a nice break and still have time for intensive training/practice. I'm sure he still will be able to. It's just these exhos seems so meaningless to me. Let the old timers who are retired (and maybe need the $$) do it.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #35
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I fully agree that there's no need for it at all, but I gather Roger quite likes to play these exho's. I can't see him do it merely for the $$$$, and the same thing goes for his 'opponent'.

And indeed, it's not just 'play-the-match-and-run', like some seem to think (see the - alas - of course deteriorated thread in GM about it) - I remember well the 2006 version, and there was a lot of press/media stuff they both had to deal with.

I remember also that Roger said on court at that time that he wanted to do it again, btw. Apparently he meant it when he said so.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #36
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post

Why do you think that they would have called it chickening out if he would have refused to take part in an exho? It's still up to him to say "No, not this year" and maybe offering instead to play doubles with Nadal at a tournament next year. I guess that's probably something a lot of tennisfans are waiting for: To see those two playing doubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
He certainly could have said no, they get someone else and no one is the wiser....and even if it leaks out....no one cares about exhos anyway....except maybe the fedal fans will care about this one.
Apparently they think the Asian fans are willing to buy tickets. I don't know if they are Fedal fans, they probably just want to see the two best players in action
Eden is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #37
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Apparently they think the Asian fans are willing to buy tickets. I don't know if they are Fedal fans, they probably just want to see the two best players in action
The 2006 Seoul exho drew in a huge crowd, the place was sold-out. No surprise the organizers want to do hold it again.

Anathema

Old 07-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #38
country flag robinhood

robinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond reputerobinhood has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness. Another exhibition, AGAIN???!!
It's kind of getting old, and SO IS HE.

THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS WS CHAMPS 2010 & 2012

GIANTS SHARKS NINERS WARRIORS A'S RAIDERS
robinhood is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #39
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
The 2006 Seoul exho drew in a huge crowd, the place was sold-out. No surprise the organizers want to do hold it again.
True - and when November comes and tennis is over and I'm staring bleakly at the 6 week gap ahead of me, I'll be looking forward to it. Right now though, I'm like
scoobs is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #40
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
True - and when November comes and tennis is over and I'm staring bleakly at the 6 week gap ahead of me, I'll be looking forward to it. Right now though, I'm like
I'm a bit myself about it as well - but I take this as a sign that despite all the Rivalry Hype, the lads themselves still don't see a problem in continuing to do these kind of things together. There's quite a part of me that's very happy about that.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-21-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 AM   #41
country flag MissMoJo

MissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond reputeMissMoJo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
World No.1 Federer will get another chance to avenge his losses in this year's French Open and Wimbledon finals to world No.2 Nadal.
Yes, because clearly this is so on the same level as those tournaments

Roger's had chances all year to avoid playing Nadal in matches where the outcome actually means something, so the idea that he feels obligated to play some inconsequential hit n' giggle to save face doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Whatever his reasons for choosing to do it, I'm pretty sure they don't revolve around Nadal.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 AM   #42
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoJo View Post
Yes, because clearly this is so on the same level as those tournaments

Roger's had chances all year to avoid playing Nadal in matches where the outcome actually means something, so the idea that he feels obligated to play some inconsequential hit n' giggle to save face doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Whatever his reasons for choosing to do it, I'm pretty sure they don't revolve around Nadal.
$$$

Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #43
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

So here we go again......

This is BULLSHIT
yanchr is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #44
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

my GOD~~~~~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #45
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Federer ranked No. 1 but Becker says Nadal is world's top male tennis player

TORONTO — Roger Federer has the world No. 1 ranking but there's no doubt in Boris Becker's mind who's the best player in men's tennis.

That distinction, Becker contends, belongs to Spain's Rafael Nadal, who is ranked second behind Federer despite having beaten the Swiss star in both the French Open and Wimbledon finals this year.
"Obviously in the world rankings there is still a No. 1 called Federer," Becker said Monday during a news conference at the Rogers Cup. "But I think if you talk to anybody in the world of tennis who is considered for now the No. 1 player in the world, it's the winner of the French Open and Wimbledon.

"I think there's a change in the position at the moment."
Becker, 40, faced Toronto's Daniel Nestor in a one-set exhibition match Monday evening, won 6-3 by the Canadian. Afterwards, he was formally inducted into the Rogers Cup Hall of Fame.
"I'm very very proud and honoured," Becker said. "It's one of the biggest tournaments in the world.
"I practised and was in good shape but that's not what this day was about. It's about celebration . . . it's not about the result."

Nadal and Federer combined to make plenty of decent backhands and serves in this year's men's final at Wimbledon. Nadal captured the grass tournament's championship with an epic five-set rain-interrupted thriller against Nadal that required more than four hours to complete. Many tennis pundits have called the match the best-ever in the men's game.

Nadal, 22, became the first player since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win the French Open and Wimbledon titles back-to-back.
Becker says while Federer remains one of the sport's elite players, Nadal has simply overtaken the Swiss star.
"I think it's a case where Nadal has just improved to a level that nobody expected," he said. "Federer is playing as good as always.
"But you can only give credit to Nadal for really raising his game to another level and winning."
Becker believes tennis needs rivalries like that of Federer and Nadal.
"Tennis needs players that bring out the best in each other," he said. "Tennis is in a good place right now having Federer and Nadal really at the very top of their careers.

"Whoever saw the Wimbledon final, I was just amazed at the quality of play from both players."
Becker appeared in three Rogers Cup events. He captured the title the first time he came to Canada in 1986 before reaching the semifinal the following year. He remains the only German man to have won Canada's biggest tennis tournament.

Becker enjoyed a brilliant 15-year career before retiring in 1999. He captured six Grand Slam singles titles (three at Wimbledon, two Australian Open titles and the U.S. Open), Olympic doubles gold at the '92 Barcelona Games, and two year-end ATP Tour World Championship crowns. In 1985 he became the youngest-ever Wimbledon winner at age 17, a record that still stands.

Overall, Becker captured 49 singles titles and 15 doubles crowns. He reached the World No. 1 ranking in 1991 and in '03 was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
And when Becker retired, he stopped playing tennis cold turkey.
"I didn't pick up a racket for two and a half years after I stopped," he said. "That's always difficult when you stop something you love so much and been doing for so long.
"Today, I probably enjoy tennis more because it's my hobby. I don't play every day anymore but I have some exhibitions and some senior tournaments so I do enjoy it a lot."
Becker's athleticism and never-die attitude on the court always made him a fan favourite wherever he went. Fans always admired his tenacity and the reckless abandon he often displayed in diving to reach volleys.

But Becker also made headlines off the court.
In 1993, he married Barbara Feltus, an actress and designer, and the couple had two children. Before the marriage, Becker and Feltus posed nude for the cover of Stern, with the photo being taken by Feltus' father.

However, the couple endured a very messy divorce in January 2001, with the pre-trial hearing broadcast live in Germany. Becker was granted a divorce Jan. 15, 2001 after reaching a US$14.4-million settlement and custody of Noah and Elias.

The following month, Becker admitted fathering a daughter, Anna, with Angela Ermakova in '99. He originally denied paternity but made the admission following a DNA test.

In 2002, Becker was convicted of tax evasion after admitting he lived in Germany from '91 to '93 while saying he resided in Monte Carlo. He was fined $500,000, put on two years probation and ordered to pay all court costs.

"You don't to be in the paper every day or on television every day," Becker said. "Germany doesn't have many other good tennis players or good sports stars so naturally I was in the spotlight."

As for this year's Roger's Cup, Becker expects Federer and Nadal to be the players to beat.
"Well, everybody playing is supposed to play here," he said. "Obviously our focus will be on Roger and Rafa and how they recover from the Wimbledon final.
"It will be exciting how both men recover and how others will come close and challenge them."

Link: http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...5_enfxcDFPJgng

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread