What has been the highlight of Roger's year for you? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Highlight of Roger's year?

Winning AO by beating some major rivals and clinching the #1 ranking 4 8.16%
Winning Hamburg, ending Coria's incredible 31 match clay winning streak along the way 1 2.04%
Winning Wimbledon - victory over Red hot Roddick after a great comeback 27 55.10%
After Wimbledon winning his first tournament in Gstaad against all the odds & then Toronto 5 10.20%
Winning the US Open. battling the crowd, wind and the critics. 10 20.41%
Roger carrying the Switzerland flag at the olympics 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #16
country flag Skyward

Skyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has been the highlight of Roger's year for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
Harder than a doing a borg? How many people have defended Wimbly then how many people have done what rogi and borg did? Only 2 and 7 have defended wimbly in the open era.
That's usually what athletes say. Obviously, none of them did what Borg and Roger managed to accomplish, so they don't know lol.
Skyward is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2004, 08:28 PM   #17
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Therefore you would have to pick the one I picked. Grass,clay, hardcourt streak.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #18
country flag Blaze

Blaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond reputeBlaze has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon-Beating a red hot Roddick on July 4, coming back from a set down and all that.

I also like when in defeated Roddick on North American hardcourt in Toronto to complete the three titles on three different surfaces

Last edited by Blaze : 09-18-2004 at 12:44 AM.
Blaze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:07 PM   #19
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

US Open, put him on the spot allover the USA and the world as the best player in the world
Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:49 AM   #20
country flag Yoda

Yoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond reputeYoda has a reputation beyond repute

Winning the USO....not because of that title only....but to complete 3 Grand Slams in one year..

FEDERER
, Malisse, Baghdatis, Melzer, Agassi, Berdych, Safin, Santoro, Koubek, O.Rochus, Nadal, Hewitt, Gasquet, Acasuso
Yoda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #21
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ, just to make a point!

First, it's such a luxury, digging in a bowl full of pearls, looking for the diamond...!

I am the only freak who voted for Hamburg TMS, not because it was a greater than Wimbledon (nothing stands a chance against Holyland! ) but because its significance for the years to come.
Would you bet against a guy who defeated Gaudio, Lapentti, Gonzalez, Moya, Hewitt and Coria on clay (!!!) in the same week to win Roland Garros one day?
I wouldn't.

The win in Toronto was Excellent as well, if only for the way Roger raised his game for the final (against the duck, no less...) after a mediocre (at most) week, to play his arguably best match of the season.

I know, I know, I couldn't refrain from mentioning the duck, what can I say...?
I'm a duck hunter!

Last edited by Rogiman : 10-05-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:46 AM   #22
country flag WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond repute

The first thought that occurred to me after I read the options was that there was no 'All of the above'. LOL.

Nor, "Winning three Slams".

If I had to choose from the choices it would either be Wimby or the USO. Wimby because not only did he defend it but he had his toughest match in the final and was able to win it even though he wasn't nearly as consistent or brilliant as he can be. USO because of the detractors like John McEnroe who tried to convince the rest of the watching public that Roger wasn't ready to win the USO becayse it was too big for him and he couldn't handle it, and Agassi was the better wind player yadda yadda

I suppose I'll lean towards his Wimby repeat because he didn't beat Roddick in the USO final as I'd have preferred him to. OTOH if he had played Roddick in the final he would have lost because the eventual champion in every other Slam this year had to go through Lleyton so I suppose I can't have it both ways.

Wimby it is.
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:14 AM   #23
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Like everyone else, I'm having a big dilemma here. But like most people I voted Wimbledon.

On the day of the Wimbledon final, which also happened to be the day I joined MTF, I posted that in my opinion that match would be the most important match of the year.

Before I get to that, I would like to start by saying that I don't think there is any tougher situation than coming in to your first grand slam as a defending champion. Having won your first slam, then coming back the next year is a measure of "did you win that 1st title by fluke or do you really have what it takes?". I know Rogi had already won his 2nd slam before he started Wimby 04, but still, I maintain that defending a slam successfully is what seperates the men from the boys.

With all of the above in mind, I will now get back to my previous statement- how the final turned out to be the most important match of the year. Had Roddick won that match, I believe his self confidence would have soared to new heights, he would have had a much better hardcourt season, possibly also winning USO again, and he would have been standing as #1 now and not Federer.

As it turned out, defending that title, with all the pressures aforementioned, against an opponent who constantly had him pinned to the corner, on the ropes at times, he just weathered the storm with sheer determination.

I believe defending that title lifted a huge rock from his chest, and it allowed him to have peace of mind to be able to focus and do is best during the hardcourt season, which is exactly what he did.

Watching the final, I never felt that Roger was in total control at any point of the match. Even after coming back from being a break down in set #3 and winning that brilliant tie-break to take a 2 set to 1 lead, he faced a multitude of break points in the 4th set. I even felt as, while he played brilliantly to break Roddick at 3-3 in the fourth set, he was a bit lucky in doing so, and also serving for the match he made a couple of errors until he finally closed it out.
I cannot say that about any of the other GS finals he played. Even if he was forced to raise his game, he was never really threatened during any of the other 3 finals he played in, and he was more or less in total control.

Well, as usual I end up typing a thesis-like post. Hope some of it made sense
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:23 AM   #24
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF4EVER
USO because of the detractors like John McEnroe who tried to convince the rest of the watching public that Roger wasn't ready to win the USO becayse it was too big for him and he couldn't handle it, and Agassi was the better wind player yadda yadda

McEnroe is hardly a detractor --- he raves about Roger's game and talent. IMO he can be forgiven for saying that, because Andre is one of the best wind players ever. However, those conditions were truly insane, and credit must be given to Roger for realizing he could start moving in to the net more in the fifth set because it was impossible for Andre to dictate in those conditions. He was bound to get some floaters if he put pressure on him, and it worked.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:46 AM   #25
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Andre is the best wind player which is why I am still shocked Rogi served so well and play so well in the 5th set because that wind was blowing his ball all over the place in the 4th set. I still don't know how he did it.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:31 AM   #26
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Had Andy won Wimbledon, I woulden't have expected him to win the Open too, it was evident he coulden't handle the pressure of defending a slam. He only even had a chance to win the final, because of Rogi's cold, but yet again he lost. Wimbledon for me, I think.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:38 AM   #27
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny, how Roddick said he looks to getting 'his' #1 back next year! It wont even be possible, for well into next season, unless Federer totally colapses. He better focus on not losing #2 to Hewitt, rather than thinking about catching Federer who has a lead well over 3,000 over Roddick.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 AM   #28
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute

Winning the Australian Open for me! I still wasn't convinced that he would be at his best after leaving his coach, but he proved me wrong and it was a wonderful surprise for me!

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - Grigor Dimitrov

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 AM   #29
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute

And also, defending his Wimbledon title! I LOVED it!!!

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - Grigor Dimitrov

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:26 AM   #30
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
I am the only freak who voted for Hamburg TMS, not because it was a greater than Wimbledon (nothing stands a chance against Holyland! ) but because its significance for the years to come.
Would you bet against a guy who defeated Gaudio, Lapentti, Gonzalez, Moya, Hewitt and Coria on clay (!!!) in the same week to win Roland Garros one day?
I wouldn't.
Actually I was just thinking few days back that besides Wimby, I felt the happiest when Rogi won Hamburg. I remembered clearly how everybody here were moaning about that nightmare draw and how we thought it will be great if he can just make it to the QF, especially him coming off from Rome. So when he actually won it by beating Coria who's on an amazing streak himself, it was really amazing Though relatively it did make his loss in FO more disappointing
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote