Describe your best moment on a tennis court.. - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #16
country flag JackEagleson

JackEagleson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Describe your best moment on a tennis court..

I remember last year while playing for my high school team, I was being beaten bad by a guy from a local team. He was in the lead about five games, and at one point I just put my all into one rally, I ended up diving for a ball, hitting it and winning the point because he didn't expect me to hit it. I came back to win the match
JackEagleson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of a personal experience, I actually do have one. Don't really have much details, like the score, but I remember the points, or rather one of the points, clearly.

I was playing in some 16s USTA tournament years ago and I was in the semifinals against a really great counter puncher that I saw playing prior to that match. He wasn't a typical pusher where they would just get the ball back, but rather he got the ball back with interest, either with good placement or some really heavy groundstrokes, and then once he got a short ball, he would normally approach the net instantly. He was really awkward to play at first and he totally dominated me for the first 5 games of the match.

However, as the match progressed, I felt I was learning how to play him very quickly. After being down 0-5, I won the next 3 games to take it to 3-5, but he was able to serve the set out. The second set turned to be quite easy. I had a good gameplan on how to play him, and it appeared he got quite nervous, as this was afterall the semifinals. I think I won the set either 6-2 or 6-3, I don't remember.

The third set, however, was quite tight. Of course, the fact that it was a super tiebreak set didn't help, but we were both quite nervous so we were pretty even the entire tiebreak. At 7-all or 8-all, he was serving and I hit a really short sliced return to his backhand side forcing him to come to the net. He chipped the backhand into my backhand quite deep, and I remember that for a moment I actually panicked a bit. For desperation, I just rolled over that backhand down the line as hard as I could. When I looked up at the last instance, I saw the ball dropping well into the court so I jumped up and yelled. After that point, it gave me so much confidence to easily close the match, and absolute destroyed my opponent's confidence.

Last edited by HKz : 10-31-2010 at 03:24 AM.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #18
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Thats awesome, inspirational moments are the best mental aid.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:34 AM   #19
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Did you win the final by the way?
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Old 10-31-2010, 03:19 AM   #20
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Did you win the final by the way?
Actually, the final was never played. The final was supposed to be played later that day in the night, however, we got rained out. So it was postponed for the next weekend, and we got rained out as well. They decided to not play the final because it was a rather popular tennis club that had many other tournaments going on every week, not to mention providing courts for people who have an actual membership there, so they really didn't have the time or space to put us on (because they would of had to provide for a referee, etc).

I don't remember what they did about the results since obviously we still needed to play to determine who gets the points for winning the tournament. However, I'm a bit glad that I didn't play him, haha. That guy would later become ranked #1 in the USTA southwest division, so I'm sure I would have gotten my ass handed to me (or maybe not, who knows )
Old 10-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Actually, the final was never played. The final was supposed to be played later that day in the night, however, we got rained out. So it was postponed for the next weekend, and we got rained out as well. They decided to not play the final because it was a rather popular tennis club that had many other tournaments going on every week, not to mention providing courts for people who have an actual membership there, so they really didn't have the time or space to put us on (because they would of had to provide for a referee, etc).

I don't remember what they did about the results since obviously we still needed to play to determine who gets the points for winning the tournament. However, I'm a bit glad that I didn't play him, haha. That guy would later become ranked #1 in the USTA southwest division, so I'm sure I would have gotten my ass handed to me (or maybe not, who knows )
Do you have a tennisrecruiting.net profile? Nat ranking?

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #22
country flag DualMedia

DualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond repute

i remeber when i have a losing streak! good times!
DualMedia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
country flag HKz
Hakeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
Do you have a tennisrecruiting.net profile? Nat ranking?
This was years ago. I mean the last USTA 18s tournament I played was almost 3 years ago. I'm sure I had a national ranking as I played in a couple USTA tournaments for national ranking points, but it wasn't anything significant. I was too busy with music stuff in high school to always be playing in tournaments, which is something I regret to this day, especially since the fact that the year I enrolled in ASU, our school cut our PAC-10 tennis team. Of course I probably wouldn't have made the team cut, especially in my freshman year, but I think I would of had a shot after a year or two.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #24
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

It was tonight. Incredible match. A little preface, though. I played this guy who I beat 0-6, 6-1, 6-4 just last week. And normally we play very tight and competitive matches.

But this was a best of 5

In this one, I got up early in the 1st, *3-1, but as usual, dumped serve. He then wins a few games on the trot and takes the set 6-3 after I served at *3-5, 40-0 and lost 5 points in a row

Then in the second, he started to take it to me even more and I was mentally nearly out of it. He took the second set easily, 6-3.

Then in the third, I told myself it was a new match and to just keep fighting. I get up 5-0!

But, the choking commenced. I served for the set at 5-1 and got broken. Then I served for it again at 5-3 and got broken. But, at 5 all, I got my shit together and held serve and we ended up going into the tiebreak.

In the tb, I was down *3-5 and my serve had been letting me down all match long. That point, he missed a return and it got me amped up. I won the next two points at served for it at *6-5. DF. of course. I had another set point at 7-6*, but he held strong. Then, at *8-7, I hit a 2nd serve down the middle which he sent into the fence. I won the third

Mentally it was a huge hurdle. In the 4th, my game upped as my mind was more at ease. At *5-2, I served for it...and was broken But, I broke him back to take the set 6-3.

By the time the 5th rolled around, we were both pretty tired. We both fought off break points early in our serve games in the 5th. At *3-4, I break him wild an awesome short angled cross court forehand pass. But, as usual, I was broken when I tried to serve it out at 5-3.

Lucky for me, I was able to get to match point on his serve at 4-5. After a nice backhand return, he shanks a forehand 100 feet into the air. At first, I thought I won for sure, then I look at the ball and it is coming towards my end of the court! It lands about 2 feet inside the baseline and I whiff entirely on my forehand

I rebounded from that, won the deuce point and got another match point. He hits a serve wide and I slice it back. He hits a forehand cross court and I scramble to get it back. He hits it to my backhand and I run to slice that one deep. He hits another one to my forehand, but down the middle. I step up and nail a forehand to his forehand and close the net. He runs to the ball and blasts it past me....but into the fence! I had won!

3-6, 3-6, 7-6(7), 6-3, 6-4
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #25
country flag bleu_cheese

bleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, well done! I've never even played a 5 set match, although I have played 5 sets in a day.

As for my best moment, it would have to be winning a tournament with my high school tennis team. We were heavy favorites going in, but as the motivational speaker I couldn't have been prouder of my teammates. Plus, who could pass up a free t-shirt and huge plaque?

Gasquet-Gulbis-Cilic-Dolgopolov-Stebe-Glasspool
Haase-Del Potro-Wawrinka-Kavcic-Giraldo-Berankis

My blog, not about tennis, though...
bleu_cheese is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #26
country flag Fujee

Awesome Groove Dude, stuck that one out and got what you deserved, respect.

Also bleu cheese EVERYONE wants a free t shirt and plaque!

David Foster Wallace
Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #27
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

My best memory was actually from a measly first round at a pretty humble event. However, it was my first tournament in some two years.

The first two games, I felt like I had the upper-hand, though it was even at 1-1, then suddenly the wheels fell completely off. I started double-faulting, I was rushing my forehand even though my opponent wasn't fast and started making a ton of errors, and my backhand lost all confidence. He broke me three times in a row to win the set 6-1. The second set started off similarly, and I quickly fell down 0-4. He got to 40-30 in that game, when I probably hit one of the best shots of my life. He hit and inside out forehand, with enough angle that I was moved way beyond the doubles alley, however I thumped a backhand down the line for a winner. I realized at that moment that I was pretty much just beating myself, and knew my defense was good enough if he was able to take over. Plus I did NOT want to be humiliated with such a bad loss in the first round. I took a lot of pace off of my strokes, focusing on just hitting solid strokes with decent depth and moving my opponent around. Because it was very hot, this turned out to be very effective and my opponent started to get fatigued. I won the next five games to serve for the set at 5-4, when I got the yips on my serve again and double-faulted twice to get broken. He held serve easily and I had to serve at 5-6. I saved a match point with my first ace of the day at 5-6. I took the tiebreaker easily. The third set was pretty much all coasting. I squandered a lot of match points at 5-1, but ultimately closed it out 6-2 to win 1-6 7-6 6-2.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Winter_season

Joing FMTA! http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #28
country flag karelduin

karelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond reputekarelduin has a reputation beyond repute

In 2009 I played a 1st Round match in an indoor carpet tournament and as usual I started very sloppy. I lost the first set with 3-6 and I continued to make a lot of UE's in the second set. At one point I was behind 3-6 1-4 30-40 on my serve and suddenly I hit an ace down the T, and I rarely hit aces lol. Then in the next two points I hit another couple of big 1st serves and I won the game. And it was at that moment when I suddenly rejuvenated and turned the winner/UE's stats. There was a tie-break which I won and in the third set I won pretty easily, my opponent was mentally gone and I only played better every game. Final score: 3-6 7-6 6-1
karelduin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
country flag Luinir

Luinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond repute

Holding the racquet on my hand for the first time was the best moment by far.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Winning our local club championships saving 2 match points in both the semi and final.. scores were 4-6 7-6(8) 6-2 and 2-6 7-5 6-4.. it was extra special as I was the youngest winner at our club and beat a guy that had ATP points just 2 years previously..

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote