Describe your best moment on a tennis court.. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Describe your best moment on a tennis court..

Explain the best moment you have experienced whilst playing tennis, it can be anything: A match victory, tournament victory, doubles extravaganza, a great shot, a tough loss and the lessons you subsequently learnt from it, a tough battle, a mental struggle you overcame, a victory over your nemesis....anything at all..just build a picture for us and explain the events that led to the result..

Try and keep it genuine..

I am an average player - with a few strengths (forehand, volley) and obvious weaknesses (weak backhand, bad second serve)

Mine is simply a nice shot which came in a very tight tie-break, I had lost the first set 7-5, it was a match for a round robin event for my university against another (best of 3 sets). The match was on a outdoor hardcourt, my opponent was pretty good on both wings and had a powerful backhand and serve, he was older than me by 3 years so I felt he had the experience advantage. The second set was as tight as the first, except i held to force a breaker this time, he was leading 5-4 and was serving, my opponent served well all set, he sent over a flat, powerful serve down the middle and I'm mostly unsure how it came off so well but i raised my racket and just swung from the hip, the ball left as fast as it arrived, down the line over the highest part of the net and he couldn't get to it, the people watching applauded which felt pretty cool seeing as that rarely happens for individual points. I went on to win the breaker and the match 7-5, 6-7, 3-6 - the tennis society leader said it was the best shot I ever hit, shame it was by chance haha, i still find it hard to hit a clean backhand with pace. My opponent was a really cool guy, bought me a beer after the game..

Anyway share your moments!
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Describe your best moment on a tennis court..

Well, one time I was down 26 62 25 15-40 and came back and won 75 in the third. Saved so many bp's. It was against the #1 seed too.

One of the biggest wins in my junior career came in the sectional closed. I won 75 64. Saved a set point in the first set, battled from 2-4 down in the 2nd. Had to take multiple bleeding timeouts.

There are probably a lot more better memories I have. So many to remember though

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

QF of U16 St.Petersburg Open Championship: beat one very strong guy 0-6 7-6(11) 6-3, was down 0-6 3-5*, saved 2 MP in TB, tried my best to choke 4 SP but still won
Won semis easily after that and the final vs top seed was very weird... Same shitty start, down 0-6 2-5*, save multiple MP to get to TB, but lose a very long rally at 4-4 in TB and the next 2 points: lost 0-6 6-7(4) but was still very happy

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a couple, but pretty much any tournament where I was absolutely on fire the entire time to win it or when I came back in a match after playing horribly are always fantastic moments and I remember every single one of them. Maybe later I'll write up a short story of one of those matches.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah do man sounds good, wish i could get better, but training is so expensive, using youtube tutorials as a guide isnt very good for development. What are peoples grass game like on here? Grass is possibly my favourite surface, i love the low bounce.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Yeah do man sounds good, wish i could get better, but training is so expensive, using youtube tutorials as a guide isnt very good for development. What are peoples grass game like on here? Grass is possibly my favourite surface, i love the low bounce.
I hate artificial grass, can't deal with slices and shit like this.

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
country flag Fujee

Artificial? Don't see any of that in England, real grass is so nice to play on if its well kept, never played on clay though

David Foster Wallace
Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

From 7-6 (2) 5-6* 15-40 (already wasting own mp at 5-4* Ad-40) to 7-6 (2) 7-6 (5)
Beating a guy who was laughing at me at points in the match 6-4 6-0

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Being in Arizona, it is very difficult to keep good grass courts here, however, there are a couple grass courts at an expensive golf and tennis club in northern Arizona where they have 8 grass courts and I used to occasionally play there. While grass is certainly the most exciting for me in terms of watching it on television, I can confidently say that I feel more comfortable on hardcourts and clay, lol.

I think I just need to get used to the grass. I mean, I have only really played about 7 or 8 times at that club, so it wasn't really much. The bounce is fine to get used to, but the movement was pretty strange, especially since the grass was really slick the first few times I played on it.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
country flag Fujee

Where i live there are 15 good grass courts for practise and one competition court, the grass is so fast, not like Wimbledon grass, it has almost a slippery slide bounce to it, the best workout on a court is defos on grass, friendly for your joints too.

David Foster Wallace
Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Winning 8-6 in the 5th twice.

I couldn't stop smiling.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
country flag Fed Fan

Fed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond repute

I recall coming back from 4-1 down in the final set to win a match. I could barely serve to save myself, so was just trying to hang in most of the afternoon. Thankfully, my temperament has improved a lot, so I kept an icy demeanour to keep my opponent from knowing I was genuinely concerned, and I played one shot and one point at a time. When my opponent went 4-1 up, he switched off and struggled to get going again for several games. My level didn't go up that much, to be honest; I was lucky to find a few good first and second serves when I needed them. It was more the case that my opponent let me back into the match. Before too long, it was 6-6 and a tie break would decide the match. Again, I didn't start serving well all of a sudden. Almost by accident, I found a couple of good serves, and I was prepared to take chances. I won the tie break 7-5 and, thus, the match. I was pretty chuffed, as the match was played on a fast surface and I wasn't sure I was going to win. Moreover, in the past, I might have given up on match or lost my temper, so I was really pleased that I hung in and was still prepared to go for shots even though I had not much by the way of a serve to set them up.
Fed Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
country flag DartMarcus

Quote:
Artificial? Don't see any of that in England, real grass is so nice to play on if its well kept, never played on clay though
Never played on clay? That sucks! I thought only americans never play on clay.
In St.Petersburg we have like 80% clay and 20% hard, and 4 artificial grass courts.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
country flag Fujee

Ive seen clay courts about, but never played on them, my club is a traditional English tennis club really. Clay is a dirty word to them haha

David Foster Wallace
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

In a local tournament, in the first round I trailed by 1-6 0-4 0-40 and came back to win 1-6 7-5 6-1. Didn't actually save any match points, but consider it my best turn-around.

At the beginning of the match, my serve was just completely inconsistent. I probably hit upward of 10 double faults up to the 0-4 in the second point. I could tell my opponent was getting a little tired because it was an EXTREMELY hot day, and just started putting more margin on my shots and moving him side to side, but keeping to the 3x3 rule (hitting no closer to lines than 3 feet). The points started really coming in for me, and it played in to my hands because he felt he had to rush the net to win points, and I'm most comfortable hitting passing shots.

I served for the set at 5-4, only for the serving hiccups to re-emerge. I broke again at 5-5 though. Hit some big serves to close it out and never looked back. He didn't have the stamina to rally with me and hit a lot of errors in the third set. I ended up losing in the semifinals of the tournament.
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote