Gael Monfils - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #121
country flag Iza

Iza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond reputeIza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gael Monfils / Jo Jo thread

some more pix from the final

Originally Posted by El Mundo
Sergio Ramos joined in the fun, proving he can do anything; he shines as a centre back, as a right back and as a striker.
My pink ego box
Iza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #122
country flag Via

Via has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond repute

congrats gael.... that's a fast first title!!!! many more to come, i hope
Via is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #123
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

His reaction, from sporever.fr (some things he says are surprising pleasently or not...):

Sopot / Monfils : « Dieu m'a aidé pour gagner »
07 août 2005 - 18 h 06 -

Après avoir remporté le premier tournoi ATP de sa carrière à Sopot en Pologne, en battant l’Autrichien (< ) Mayer (7-6 (6), 4-6, 7-5), le Français Gaël Monfils est revenu sur une victoire qui en appelle d’autres : « Dieu m'a aidé pour gagner. Il ne faut pas que cela me monte à la tête. »

Gaël Monfils, vainqueur du tournoi de Sopot en Pologne
« Dieu m'a aidé pour gagner. J'ai voulu gagner et j'ai tout fait pour réussir. C'est ma première victoire mais je veux remporter encore beaucoup d'autres épreuves. Il ne faut pas que cela me monte à la tête. Il faut rester sur terre et bien travailler pendant l'entraînement pour réaliser cet objectif. Qui j'ai appelé depuis le court? Trois personnes: ma mère, mon père et Arnaud Lagardère, qui finance ma carrière. C'est à lui que je voudrais dédier cette victoire. En septembre, après l'US Open, cela fera un an que nous avons commencé à travailler ensemble avec Thierry (Champion). Il m'aide à ordonner mon jeu. Il y a introduit du calme et de la raison. Quand nous avons commencé à travailler ensemble, j'étais environ 500e dans les classements. Aujourd'hui, j'approche de la 40e position. C'est à lui que je dois ce progrès. Il m'apprend aussi comment vivre en dehors du terrain de jeu. C'est très important.»

"God helped me to win. I wanted to win and i did everything i could to succeed. It's my very first victory but i want to achieve many more of them. I musn't let this go to my head. I must stay down to heart and work well during training to reach my goals. Who i phoned from the court? My mother, my father and Arnaud [Lagardère], who back me financially. I actually would like to dedicate this victory to him. In september, after the US Open, it will be one year since we started to work together with Thierry [Champion]. He helps me arrange/order my game. He help me introduces calm and intelligence to it. When we started working together i was ranked around the 500th. Today i'm drawing nearer to the 40th spot. I owe thi progress to him. He also make me learn how to live off court on the circuit. It's very important."

Plus the atptennis.com article:

Idea Prokom Open
Sopot, Poland August 7, 2005

Monfils Records First ATP Title in Thrilling Fashion

French teen Gael Monfils won his first ATP title after a thrilling 7-6(6), 4-6, 7-5 victory over Germany’s Florian Mayer at the IDEA Prokom Open in Sopot on Sunday. Both unseeded players advanced to their first ATP final and both were looking for their first ATP title.

The crowd saw an entertaining final, with Mayer bouncing back after Monfils was leading 5-2 in the first set. In the tie-break, the Mayer double faulted on his set point at 6-5. Monfils won the set on his first set point.

In the second set, Mayer kept fighting hard and managed to take the Frenchman’s serve twice, while Monfils could only break his opponent once. In the final set, Monfils scored the only break, taking his opponent’s serve in the final game of the match.

With today’s victory, 18-year-old Monfils becomes the third teenager to win a title in 2005, after Rafael Nadal won titles in Costa do Sauipe, Acapulco, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Roland Garros, Bastad and Stuttgart, and fellow countryman Richard Gasquet sealed victory in Nottingham. Players attempting to capture their first ATP title are now 6-10 in finals

Monfils wins 35 INDESIT ATP 2005 Race Points and €59,200. Runner-up Mayer receives 24 INDESIT ATP 2005 Race Points and €34,800.

On the way to the title, Monfils defeated qualifier Juan Antonio Marin, Juan Monaco, No. 8 seed Victor Hanescu, Potito Starace and Mayer. Mayer’s first finals appearance came after wins over Mariano Zabaleta, No. 5 seed Filippo Volandri, Jarkko Nieminen and No. 3 seed Guillermo Coria.

Monfils became the sixth player to win his first career ATP title in 2005 after Xavier Malisse (Delray Beach), Wayne Arthurs (Scottsdale), Igor Andreev (Valencia), Gasquet (Nottingham) and Mario Ancic (s’Hertogenbosch).

In the doubles final, the No. 4 seeded all-Polish team of Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski defeated the No. 3 seeded all-Argentine team of Lucas Arnold and Sebastian Prieto 7-6(7), 6-4 in a one-hour, 25-minute match. During the tie-break, the Argentines couldn’t take advantage of their set point at 7-6.

The local favorites won the tournament for the second time after 2003. The winners receive 35 ATP Doubles Race Points and €20,500.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:

Monfils: “I’m very happy and satisfied about having won my first title. Now I have to stay down to earth, keep working and practicing hard, in order to get ready for the US Open. I want to win many more titles. Life continues, and I still have to improve a lot of things. I still have a long way to go.”

“When Mayer was bouncing back in the first set, I kept thinking about a song called 'Un monde parfait' (A perfect world) and that helped me to stay in the match. I really had to fight very hard to win the match. I was running a lot during this final.”

Mayer: “The crowd saw a very good match today. I was a little bit tired after the semifinal against Coria, and Monfils was so fast today. It’s a pity that I made a double fault on the most important point of the match [his set point in the first set]. I really played great after Monfils was leading 5-2, and it’s disappointing that this double fault happened. Maybe it was not a good idea either to try the drop shots during the last game. That made things a lot easier for my opponent. I think that the last three points made the difference today.”

Fyrstenberg: "We are very happy about having won this title. Today it was easier than during the semifinal, although we were tired and had some small injuries."

Matkowski: "It was important to win the tie-break; it would have been very difficult to go into a third set. Our next tournaments are New Haven, the US Open and then the challenger in Szczecin."

And some official IDEA Prokom Open photos (from their site):

Last edited by delsa : 08-09-2005 at 09:02 AM.
delsa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #124
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read that Gael get a WC for Cincinnati. That's great for him.
Good luck Gael!!!
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #125
country flag delsa

delsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond reputedelsa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie*
I've just read that Gael get a WC for Cincinnati. That's great for him.
Good luck Gael!!!
Good news only if he honors it well. He musn't get used to get WC all the time but he's gone through quallies a lot lately and missed the Montréal quallies because of his first victory so i guess it's deserved...

An interview of Jo Tsonga from Tennis Mag' in the "Comment ça va?" = "How are you doing?" section (Gosh! I've scanned so much things...):

Maybe we should make separate threads for Jo Jo and Gaël?

Last edited by delsa : 08-10-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #126
country flag kicktheball

kicktheball is on a distinguished road

just a quick information i need from you guys , because you're always so extremely filled with tennis knowledge

who was on the gael's team in sopot beside thierry? i mean the other 3 guys in his box. thanks anyway
kicktheball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #127
country flag delsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicktheball
just a quick information i need from you guys , because you're always so extremely filled with tennis knowledge

who was on the gael's team in sopot beside thierry? i mean the other 3 guys in his box. thanks anyway
I can only think of one name from the three guys and we didn't have coverage of Sopot here so i can't know since i didn't see them. Rémi Barbarin, Gaël's coach/physical trainer must have been one of them. So they were very anxious during Gaël's matches you reported? That must have been so funny to witness!

Here is a pic of Gaël, Thierry and Rémi debriefing (do you recognize Rémi?...)...They look so serious!

Another one:

Last edited by delsa : 08-24-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #128
country flag delsa

Gaël will face Stepanek in the first round in Cincy. That will be tough. It will be Novak or Beck after if he goes through this match. He's in the same part of the draw as Nadal.
Good luck!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #129
country flag kicktheball

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsa
I can only think of one name from the three guys and we didn't have coverage of Sopot here so i can't know since i didn't see them. Rémi Barbarin, Gaël's coach/physical trainer must have been one of them. So they were very anxious during Gaël's matches you reported? That must have been so funny to witness!
yep i recognize thierry and remi, they were both in sopot, but there were also two other guys alongside them. one was very elegant, had semi-long dark hair and wore sunglasses 24/7 the other one was more casual, he had a yellow cap and a bit long hair too.. just after the final ball gael looked up to him and they communicated for a while with their own signs any idea who were those guys??
Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #130
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

I ve just found a great video (in french) of Gael about his win in Sopot.

http://stade2.france2.fr/

you will find the video at the bottom of the page.
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #131
country flag delsa

Nice first round win against the out of form Stepanek, Gaël! At least you didn't get your WC for nothing... 0 UE in the 2nd set! Neat...
Thank you for the video, Julie!

Last edited by delsa : 08-22-2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:35 PM   #132
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

He lost 4/6 6/1 6/1...one day that would be good he thinks tactic, tennis is not boom boom boom
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:57 PM   #133
country flag delsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie*
I ve just found a great video (in french) of Gael about his win in Sopot.

http://stade2.france2.fr/

you will find the video at the bottom of the page.
Does anybody has a direct link to it? The vid is not there anymore. They changed the page...We don't have access to all of the archives anymore... :/
I know this little "video reportage" since i watched the stade 2 in question but i'd like to see it again...

Last edited by delsa : 08-22-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #134
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicktheball
yep i recognize thierry and remi, they were both in sopot, but there were also two other guys alongside them. one was very elegant, had semi-long dark hair and wore sunglasses 24/7 the other one was more casual, he had a yellow cap and a bit long hair too.. just after the final ball gael looked up to him and they communicated for a while with their own signs any idea who were those guys??
Apologise one more time I couldn't answer earlier. I was on holiday. Although I wrote a PM, I'd like to explain the thing to everybody because it was so funny. Still I don't know who those two guys were but I was sitting next to them at the final match. The guy with a cap was named Christophe, a handsome guy, in my opinion that cap looked awfully. He was a player's guest. But I don't know which player exactly. Because Christophe and the person in sunglasses used to sit with Argentinian guys as well, at the beginning of the tourney we thought they're from Argentina, esp. that the guy in sunglasses was spending most of the time with Enzo Artoni, Italian doubles player (originally from Argentina), but didn't leave when Artoni lost, though. On the other hand, every night Christophe appeared at the disco with Mr Champion and Remi. The guy in sunglasses has never been at the disco. He only shouted at me on first Sunday when I walked on the practise court to greet with Juan Mónaco lol, but he seemed to be humorous after all. We don't know, maybe he's a tennis manager or something? During the final, he was shouting to Gael in Spanish, eg: "Mi Corazon!" (that's why we started to call him "Corazon"), "Bailamos" or "Venga, Venga". He kept on smoking cigarettes during the match. Remi and Mr Champion started doing the same soon . The mysterious signs which Christophe and Corazon were showing to Gael meant "Hurry up, we have a plane!". Manu Messina, the chair umpire, had a double reason to look at my row then. The first one was to seek the confirmation in my eyes if he pronounces "trzy" correctly, and the second was showing the Frenchies to calm down (with a huge smile on his face, so funny it was). At one moment one so-called VIP (Sopot tournament is the one for VIP's who aren't real VIP's though) told Corazon to move somewhere else, because it's HIS seat and poor guy had to change his seat. The other people talking to the coaches were just the French holiday makers and they came to Gael's match on Saturday as well (I saw them in queue) When Gael finally won, Christophe and Corazon waved and run away (very quickly!). And when Gael wanted to make a speech in French ("Because in English it's so difficult..."), Mr Champion and Remi just covered their faces with their hands , then they stood up and the chairs (!) after throwing the cigarettes to the court which is on the other side (!!!) and shouted at the same moment (in French): "SPEAK ENGLISH!". Gael, who looks like he's under a big influence of these two guys (not only at this moment) immediately started speaking English. It took place 2 weeks ago and I laugh like it was yesterday. What a pity Gael rather won't come to Poland next year... at least that's what he admitted in a private conversation after the final However Remi said they're definitely coming (but the circumstances of the conversation were soooooo different lol lol ) We'll be missing this crazy boy playing rugby at the street in front of the courts few minutes before his match... Any other person outside Poland had such a support at this tourney in its history.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #135
country flag kicktheball

thanks thanks thanks a buuuuuuuuuuuuunch for that!! although we still are not quite sure who were those guys, i got some clues now to start my own investigation hehe. thank you nathaliia again and i'll keep in touch with you through PM!

p.s. the cap was crap haha