Need help buying a racquet - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
country flag Ayelet

Ayelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need help buying a racquet

I'm a girl, 17, height 1.70 meters, play twice a week for two years. I'd say I'm 3.0-3.5 player.

I play with Head Ti.Agassi Pro. I need a racquet that can give me more control and less power, because with my racquet every time I put little bit of power into the shot the ball just flies to the next court. Backhand is good, forehand really lacks of control (but it might be because of bad technique, don't know).

I want a racquet I'll be able to use for a few years and of course not too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Ayelet : 09-26-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Ayelet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help buying a racquet

I recommend the Babolat Pure Storm Ltd.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayelet View Post
I'm a girl, 17, height 1.70 meters, play twice a week for two years. I'd say I'm 3.0-3.5 player.

I play with Head Ti.Agassi Pro. I need a racquet that can give me more control and less power, because with my racquet every time I put little bit of power into the shot the ball just flies to the next court. Backhand is good, forehand really lacks of control (but it might be because of bad technique, don't know).

I want a racquet I'll be able to use for a few years and of course not too expensive.

Any suggestions?
Blaming the racket first is not necessarily the right step. I mean if you truly think it is the racket, then go on and demo some rackets. Kind of impossible to say "hey this racket would be perfect for you" over a forum.

If I were you, I would check two things before you go on to the racket. First, have a coach watch your strokes. Perhaps you are hitting much too flat and therefore whenever you hit harder, your ball just flies because it has no way of going down into the court. If that is the case, then obviously changing rackets would never fix this. Using a Babolat isn't going to give you Nadalian-spin.

If your strokes look fine and the ball still feels like it flies on you, then the other thing I would check, is your racket's string tension/type of string. String tension/type of string, unlike the kind of racket you use, DOES AFFECT you a bit. I would experiment using rackets of different tensions and other types of string like natural gut, synthetic gut, etc. Personally for me, I like my rackets strung a bit looser than recommended around 40-45 pounds.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
country flag Ayelet

Ayelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond reputeAyelet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you for your advices!

HKz - Of course blaming the racquet is not the best thing to do, but I always feel I need to be very careful with my shots (even though my forehand is far from being flat). My racquet has a huge head size and is especially for beginners. I just need a more serious racquet. Anyway, Next week I will start practising in a bigger tennis club so I'll try a few racquets there.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

HKz - Of course blaming the racquet is not the best thing to do, but I always feel I need to be very careful with my shots (even though my forehand is far from being flat). My racquet has a huge head size and is especially for beginners. I just need a more serious racquet. Anyway, Next week I will start practising in a bigger tennis club so I'll try a few racquets there.
Head radical midplus, dunlop 4d 300/500 wilson k blade 98, babolat pure drive gt. idk about any other than the dunlops or head radical but i know the pure drive is a pretty standard choice for females, if it were me i would go with the radical or pure drive because they are a little more juiced on power, but would still be a good amout lower in power than what you are currently using.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Having a racket with a huge head or not, if your ball isn't going in, then it isn't going to change much when you do switch rackets. The saying "it is the player, not the racket" is quite true for the most part. Like I said, I seriously recommend having a coach just watch your strokes. If he is a genuine coach, he isn't going to tell you "switch rackets," he will find something that needs improvement.

Switching or buying rackets shouldn't be about making a forehand that flies out of the stadium into the next Federer forehand, which seems like what you are trying to attempt. Switching rackets should be about how the ball feels, not fixing your stroke/technique.