The Invitational Event Thread - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #76
country flag pennypacker

pennypacker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Invitational Event Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Nice finds.

I remember that I came across some Adelaide Rio results:

The 1988 draw is on Wiki (4-man at that time): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_exhibitions_in_1988

In 1989 there has been a McEnroe-Wilander encounter but I don't know more about it.
Doubles Final: McEnroe/Woodforde def. Lendl/Wilander 7/6 6/2 (no idea about the exact date)

1990 (Jan. 11-14) Final: McEnroe def. Edberg 4/6 7/6 6/4

And I've just found out an interesting event at Wirral, 1988 & 1989. It was an event that hadn't been held since 1972. In 1989, McEnroe was beaten at the 2nd round by Jim Pughs. Becker won it on June 24 beating Peter Lundgren in the final 7/5 6/4. At the same time, Lendl played an exhibition in Wentworth where he was beaten by Jonas Svensson.
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-...arm-up-tournam

In 1988, McEnroe made it to the semi-finals and lost to Van Rensburg. David Pate and Leif Shiras were the other two semi-finalists. Chesnokov lost in the quarters to Van Rensburg. Andres Gomez and Johan Kriek also played.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-06-...1_john-mcenroe
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/03/sp...r-mcenroe.html
in regards to the 1989 rio international challenge played in adelaide there was no doubles final.

that mac/woodforde v lendl/wilander match was just thrown together at the last minute because pat cash had to forfeit the singles final to stefan edberg earlier on the same evening.
so basically tornament organisers just wanted to give the fans something to watch and organised that doubles match.

the mcenroe-wilander round robin match played earlier in the tornament finished 64 63 to mac.

i have both of the above mentioned matches on dvd and also another of the round robin matches between lendl and mark woodforde.
unfortunetly that match is missing the end with lendl up 64 43.
if anyone could help me out with the final scoreline of that one it'd be much appreciated.

btw prior to 1987 this event was played indoors in canberra usually around november.
pennypacker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #77
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Lendl vs Woodforde 6-4 7-6(6)
Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #78
country flag pennypacker

pennypacker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisOnWood View Post
Lendl vs Woodforde 6-4 7-6(6)
great,thanks for that.

i'll add some of the results for the 1985 rio international challenge played indoors in canberra sometime in november.
got these results from old newspaper articles i kept as a kid.

round robin matches:

lendl d nystroem 64 64
kriek d mayotte 63 67 64
lendl d kriek 63 63
mayotte d wilander 76 63

apparently kriek was filling in for the injured kevin curren.
by memory lendl beat mayotte in the final.
pennypacker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #79
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

It was 6-4 6-4 in the final