Weakest slam in terms of semi-finals/finalists? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weakest slam in terms of semi-finals/finalists?

What are the slams you remember as having a poor final four?

2001 AO: Clement/Grosjean and Rafter/Agassi isn't great but I re-watched some highlights of the latter and it was a pretty entertaining match. It set up a one-sided final, though.

2003 AO: Schüttler/Roddick and Ferreira/Agassi which again set up a poor final. I'm taking nothing away from Agassi either, it just wasn't very entertaining.

2008 Wimbledon: had disappointing matches on both sides of the draw (despite featuring Safin/Federer/Nadal) although it lead to the legendary final so meh.

2012 USO: awful quality semi-finals because of the conditions and the tournament scheduling.

I'm sure there are plenty that people may suggest from the '90s but I was too young to see much of them beyond Tiger Tim getting owned by Sampras over and over.

Last edited by Abel : 02-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weakest slam in terms of semi-finalists?

Grosjean isn't a weak semi finalist...
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Grosjean isn't a weak semi finalist...
Well neither are Federer or Nadal or some of the others Doesn't mean the actual SFs were any good. I would have put "semi-finals or semi-finalists" but the title would have been overly long.

Edited the title for clarity.

Last edited by Abel : 02-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

RG12 deserves a humble mentioning. I don`t even know which one was worse speaking about expectations - that comedy from Fed in his match against Nole (Djoker was solid, but that`s all) or humilation made by Rafito.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

If it's about the matches and not the players in the SF, Roland Garros last year.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
country flag Abel

Default Re: Weakest slam in terms of semi-finals/finalists?

Very true about last year's RG - all of the interesting matches were in the earlier stages.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

The Clement vs Grosjean SF was weird. Two not-so-well-known French guys. The aussie crowed didn't know who to cheer for.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

The AO '03 final could have been something special had Roddick made it there. Andy left it all on court in the El Ayanaoi match and simply had nothing left for a grinder like Schuttler. Not that he would have beat Rainer otherwise since he struggled against that type of player and had several other losses to him.

I think it's unfair to put Wimbledon '08 there. Even as someone who thinks that final was vastly overrated (based on the actual quality of play), the overall magnitude of that match makes it all unassailable, I think. Not to mention the general notoriety of at least three of the final four.

For my own picks, I'd go with:

Wimbledon 2006: Bad semifinals. Baghdatis and Bjorkman were both way outclassed, as was Nadal, at the time, in the finals.

The AO 1999 final four was exceptionally bad. Most of the top seeds were out by the third round. Agassi seemed like the favorite at the time and he was upset by Spadea in the R16. The door was left wide open for a workhorse like #10 Kafelnikov to come in and capitalize on then-overwhelmed and unseeded players in the final four.

US Open 2004, despite boasting Federer, Hewitt, Henman, and a blistering Johansson fresh off of upsetting Roddick, yielded disasterously lopsided matches in the final four. A lot of people thought Henman would trouble Fed based on previous meetings, ditto Hewitt; Fed wiped the floor with them both, double-bageling Hewitt in the final. My mom, who introduced me to tennis growing up, never wanted to see Hewitt in another GS final again after that.

The FO 1998 final four was nothing to write about either. I was so pissed at Safin for blowing his lead against Pioline in the quarters, who turned around and got washed in the semis. I was later very fond of Moya, so I'm glad he came out with the win, but the overall quality of the matches was upsetting.

I'll throw RG 2012 out there as well based on the quality of matches.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.

Last edited by BackhandDTL : 02-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Roland Garros last year was awful.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely AO 2001, but it was also exciting and refreshing.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robredo|Smycze k|J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

The US Open has had some utterly one-sided ones in recent years.

2004 - Both Federer and Hewitt crushed Henmann and Johansson, then Federer double bagelled Hewitt.

2007 - Davydenko folding to Federer as per usual, Djokovic mopping the floor with Ferrer. Djokovic too nervous in his first final, straight sets for Federer.

2009 - Both SFs were NID (although the quality was good) 3-setters, finals wasn't bad but both Federer and Del Potro served very poorly.

2012 - don't even need to say what happened here, it's still fresh in people's memory.

Wimbledon:

2006 - NID beatdowns all the way.

2008 - bad semis (despite good cast) + overrated final

2010 - Nadal predictably routining Murray and Berdych, although Tomas beating Nole might be considered a surprise of sorts.

RG:

2012 - Federer too flat, Ferrer being his usual self, kind of a meh final.

2008 - Federer vs Monfils match was good even if not great, but the other two were just about Nadal easily routining Federer and Novak without any resistance.

AO:

2010 - Clownga out in full force vs Federer, Cilic running out of gas after less than two sets, Federer crushing Murray in the final.

Only example really, AO used to have awesome SFs in the Rebound Ace era, and now they have at least tense/tight ones.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

don't forget AO 2011
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
The AO '03 final could have been something special had Roddick made it there. Andy left it all on court in the El Ayanaoi match and simply had nothing left for a grinder like Schuttler. Not that he would have beat Rainer otherwise since he struggled against that type of player and had several other losses to him.

I think it's unfair to put Wimbledon '08 there. Even as someone who thinks that final was vastly overrated (based on the actual quality of play), the overall magnitude of that match makes it all unassailable, I think. Not to mention the general notoriety of at least three of the final four.

For my own picks, I'd go with:

Wimbledon 2006: Bad semifinals. Baghdatis and Bjorkman were both way outclassed, as was Nadal, at the time, in the finals.

The AO 1999 final four was exceptionally bad. Most of the top seeds were out by the third round. Agassi seemed like the favorite at the time and he was upset by Spadea in the R16. The door was left wide open for a workhorse like #10 Kafelnikov to come in and capitalize on then-overwhelmed and unseeded players in the final four.

US Open 2004, despite boasting Federer, Hewitt, Henman, and a blistering Johansson fresh off of upsetting Roddick, yielded disasterously lopsided matches in the final four. A lot of people thought Henman would trouble Fed based on previous meetings, ditto Hewitt; Fed wiped the floor with them both, double-bageling Hewitt in the final. My mom, who introduced me to tennis growing up, never wanted to see Hewitt in another GS final again after that.

The FO 1998 final four was nothing to write about either. I was so pissed at Safin for blowing his lead against Pioline in the quarters, who turned around and got washed in the semis. I was later very fond of Moya, so I'm glad he came out with the win, but the overall quality of the matches was upsetting.

I'll throw RG 2012 out there as well based on the quality of matches.
I have to agree with Wimbledon in 2006. The semi-finals were dire.

The 2003 Australian Open looked interesting at the time. Roddick was lucky to get past El Aynaoui with the help of a terrible line call late on and Schuettler was lucky that Safin had withdrawn. Schuettler was especially playing excellently and despite being an underdog in terms of success and the obvious potential of Roddick, he went into the match as a heavy favourite all things considered. It was really disappointing to see his run come to an end with such a poor display, seeing as those who don't follow much tennis remember him as a "lucky" finalist and disregard or are unaware of his tremendous overall performance during the fortnight.

Pioline defeated Safin in the 4th round and part of the reason why he played so poorly in the semi-finals has to be down to the fact ht spent a lot of time on the court. Not much blame can be put on an 18 year old who had to endure 2 5 setters and a 4 setter prior, he had never competed at the highest level previously.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
country flag Brick Top

Brick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond repute

AO 2007
Roland Garros 09 & 10
Hewitt = Llegend
Berdych - Hand of Justice
Iron STan = Saviour of tennis
Villains
Nadull - moonballer with zero talent
Olderer - semiretired ballerina
Tomic - overrated mug who will never win anything big
Brick Top is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

RG 2006 was a bit crap. Fed-Nalby could have been a classic if it wasn't for David's illness- he retired and cut it short, while Ljubo had beaten a bunch of clowns plus Mugaco and the outcome of his semi was NID.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote