David Nalbandian in Davis Cup, 17-19 September 2010, Lyon, France, - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #46
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: David Nalbandian in Davis Cup, 17-19 September 2010, Lyon, France,

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanora View Post
So everything is clear now. To be honest, i don't prefer to watch him play Gael first, coz I am also concerned about their tough matchups. In both two matches of 2008 (Olympics and US Open), Gael outplayed him. I was just at that Olympic match, and Gael stunned me by his playing. Of course, you can say David was not at his best at that time. He sufferred from injury in the grass season of that year, and made a rush come-back to catch the Olympics. This time, it's DC match, indoor hard surface, and the most important - he is healthy, so things will be better, but still tough considering Gael just had a good run on US Open.

For Pico vs Mika, I can understand Forget's choice. Mika fits this surface and he always can raise his level when playing in front of the locals. Pico came back from the injury, so although he beated Mika in AO this year, I would say Mika has the edge at this time.

I will not be surprised by any result of the first day: 2:0, 0:2, 1-1. Any of them can happen. But if Argentina is 0:2 behind after the 1st day, it will be very tough, coz David will only play in the 5th rubber, which means they must win the doubles and Pica has to beat Gael to keep them live. Well, the draw is the draw. Hope they will rock Lyon this weekend
Great analysis, Crystal! What I remember about the Monfils/Nalby match at the U.S. Open, is that David had no wheels and this contrasted sharply with the mobility of Monfils. The commentators started making generalizations that David "is not fast and plays stationary whereas Gael is the opposite" and this irritated me because while it was true for that one day, David has proven that he can be very mobile when he is healthy. While watching that match, I just remember being infuriated with David's footwork and the fact he looked so lackadasical. In retro, I think it was all part of the hip problems and other injuries that were beginning to just take their toll, but yea, in 2008 Monfils looked like a nightmare match-up for David.

So did Wawrinka though, and we saw what happened recently. Anyway, IF David could beat Gael, that would be HUGE on so many different levels. I wonder if David almost looks forward to this opportunity to show how he can play now that his hip is better? As it is now, France would seem to have an advantage.

Yes, Llodra is the French tourney indoor monster and his 1 victory over Pico came in Lyon. It makes sense. And Clement/Llodra is a tough doubles team. To Guy Forget. He did his homework to make things as tough as possible for Argentina. The fact Pico beat Llodra this year in a best 3/5 on Hard Courts gives me some hope; and of course Nalby seems to be a monster on the road in any Davis Cup match. Any result on Friday does seem possible. I agree.
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #47
country flag Stephan

Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute

one more nice pic
why he lost to Verdasco?

Stephan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #48
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
one more nice pic
why he lost to Verdasco?

Nice pic, Stephan. Yea, El Rey David loves the nature of National team sports. He always looks so much more happy and motivated than doing things alone.

I'll take Nalby's loss to Verdasco over his losses to Monfils in 2008 any day. He is having problems with the players that crush the ball and play at a different speed still, but he is catching up and making progress as opposed to regressing.

We should get a good feel on his progress with this type of foe in the match tomorrow. If he does better against Monfils than in the past, I give him better odds to win the next time he plays a Verdasco.

Last edited by Nolby : 09-17-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #49
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Pico vs. Llodra in the First Rubber is beginning now. I am getting one of the best streams I've received in a long time. No freezes so far:

http://www.atdhe.net/24248/watch-france-vs-argentina

Vamos Pico and Argentina!
============
Bizarre! Pico just broke Llodra to go up 2-1 (Pico now serving) and the Palais des Sports de Gerland in Lyon broke out in a celebration so loud, I had to make certain Pico had completed the break. The Argentines are well represented here.

Thus far, the Palais des Sports is NOT proving to have a very intimidating crowd or arena. This looks good.

Pico now up 3-1 in the First Set and crowd is loudly applauding his game. Unbelievable!
=================
Not good! Pico got broken twice to lose the first set 7-5 and French crowd woke up midway through the set. I still think a lead in a match by Argentina could quiet them pretty easily, but things not going great so far for Pico.

Llodra is reminding me of his stellar play at the U.S. Open, although not quite as impressive as he was against Berdych. Pico had an 8-1 Forehand winners lead at 5-5 on the positive side. On the negative side, whenever a rally is involving the net, Llodra is showing off his great volleying skills and winning all of those points.
==============
Pico just broke again, and dug himself out of a 15-30 hole on his own serve to consolidate the break in the Second Set. Score is 7-5, 2-4 Llodra. But Pico is playing really tough out there right now. Better when he gets in a baseline exchange. Worst thing for him to do is to leave the ball short for Llodra to jump on.
This stream has been a little better for some reason:
http://www.atdhe.fm/atdhe-live-strea...ent.php?ch=303
============
Pico takes the second set, 6-4, and the Argentines in attendance are once again singing and showing their presence. Pico seems to be pouncing on balls not hit deeply and passing Llodra with some great forehands. He looks VERY good! He seems to found a great gameplan against Llodra, not playing too far back, but not letting it get to net exchanges either. He is hitting the majority of his shots just within the baseline and throwing Llodra off, and also giving himself sizable room to pass Llodra if he comes into the net.

Last edited by Nolby : 09-17-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #50
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

1 set all, I think Pico can win....
VAMOS ARGENTINA
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #51
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbyfan View Post
1 set all, I think Pico can win....
VAMOS ARGENTINA
I think David finally found a Singles partner that can take some of the load off his shoulders.

Match is very even, but Pico is starting to threaten Llodra's serve, as long he doesn't let Llodra get the easy Serve & Volley. Also, Pico's net play has been quite good too.
===========
Any baseline forehand exchange is on Pico's racquet. He has a marvelous forehand and Llodra appears weak in that area today.
===========
Llodra is negating the need for rallies with an improved S & V game on his serve. 4-3, Llodra, on serve in the 3rd set.

Last edited by Nolby : 09-17-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #52
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Vamos Pico, it could help David a lot if Pico won...and Llodra would be VERY tired for tomorrow (he had some back problems at the beginning of the week...)
Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #53
country flag novanora

novanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond repute

I was soooo nervous about Pico's last serve game when he was 0-30 behind...
novanora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #54
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Vamos Pico, it could help David a lot if Pico won...and Llodra would be VERY tired for tomorrow (he had some back problems at the beginning of the week...)
This has the makings of a grueling 4 or 5 setter. Pico has that mental toughness that players like Schwank or Mayer just don't have. He was just in a 15-40 hole and hit two of his best shots in the set. Deuce.

Llodra is starting to play better now on his serve; hard to see how Pico will break him if he doesn't cool down. This may go to a tiebreak.

Do you have any mixed emotions seeing as you are from France?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #55
country flag novanora

novanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond reputenovanora has a reputation beyond repute

Pico the man!!!! He saved two set points 5-5
novanora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #56
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

I support Argentina because my fav player is anArgie....but if France wins this tie so I'll support my country in the final...
Really strange position I know !!!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #57
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanora View Post
I was soooo nervous about Pico's last serve game when he was 0-30 behind...
5-5. This Pico is great!

I wonder how bad Llodra rolled his ankle. I recall him doing something similar against Berdych at the U.S. Open, but it didn't affect him at all.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #58
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I support Argentina because my fav player is anArgie....but if France wins this tie so I'll support my country in the final...
Really strange position I know !!!
I know how you feel. I was going to support the Argentina/Sweden winner to the very end of the DC; but David is always #1 so I ended up cheering for Argentina as I always have in the past. That tie was rough on me and Soda fans noticed I wasn't around all week.

Ireland never contends, or I might actually have some Nationalistic issues.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #59
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Uggggggh!!!! He saved 5 Set points and was 1 point away from getting it back to Deuce.

This match isn't over by a long shot. Pico has been playing well enough and mentally tough enough to win.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #60
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

I don't like that at all...Mika leads 2 sets to one...could Piquito win in 5 sets....Please Piquito, please !!