Why is the generation after Fed's so devoid of personalities? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is the generation after Fed's so devoid of personalities?

Everything that comes out of players' mouths nowadays seems so rehearsed and politically correct.

I compare them to Fed's generation who were much less afraid to speak their minds.

Roddick could own a press conference. Fed's still the most sophisticated and direct guy in the room (and the best at interviews). Hewitt with his unfiltered emotions (on and off the court), etc.

Even the women of that generation were much more interesting. Sharapova and Serena still have 100x more interesting interviews/press conferences than their younger counterparts.

Compare them to the Djokovics and Nadals of today with their endless amount of softball responses to softball questions.

I think Tomic and Harrison have potential to bring back some personality, tho.
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
country flag Dice Darwin

Dice Darwin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why is the generation after Fed's so devoid of personalities?

Because today's academy bots weren't programmed to have personality.
Dice Darwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
country flag MTwEeZi

MTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how people perceive things. TV ratings were at an all time low until Nadal & Djokovic showed up. I always found Federer to be rather predictable, and banal.
MTwEeZi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see it as a matter of perception.

Fed still garners more attention to his words than Djoker or Nadal (and still would, even if he was retired or outside of top 50).

Roddick and Safin would've generated more buzz than the current top 10 crop.

Tipsarevic's just not as cool as he thinks he is and everyone else is afraid of looking bad to who knows what.

It's strange and I'm wondering if it really is generational.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, we now have twitter, where people who've had hours to think about what they are about to post still manage to say incredibly stupid things that get them in trouble and lead to them deleting their account.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Funny how people perceive things. TV ratings were at an all time low until Nadal & Djokovic showed up. I always found Federer to be rather predictable, and banal.
Good. This means he's the exact opposite.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's a matter of generation, rather a more business approach to everything around the sport.

The guys we're talking about are making their money largely from sponsors, which sponsors pay to have their image spread by these players.

Rafa couldn't start bashing the Argies for example and expect the Armani underwear to work well in Buenos Aires.

They have PR agents, managers and everything they speak out is the voice of these professionals, which is indeed boring, but until we get someone sposnored by a brand that is recognized with scandal, we will get most of the time Lindt's, Gillette's, Armani's, etc. point of view about everything.

Would be fun to have Tomic sponsored by MTV or Reality TV

I wouldn't be surprised if the players start going dressed under the showers
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
country flag nellis_lv

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
I don't think it's a matter of generation, rather a more business approach to everything around the sport.
Ok, what's funny is most of the outspoken guys ended up getting better sponsorship deals than the players of today.

If Roddick was still top 5, no doubt he'd still have every brand coming after him for sponsorship.

Fed's still one of the most (if not, the most) marketable guy in sports.

I think if Tomic ever reached his 'potential', he'd be a marketing rep's dream.

Personality sells. Even more so than results, maybe.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

what freaking personality? Fed has none. Roddick and Djokovic simply own him is this department. Fed is the best tennis player ever but when it comes to his personality (whatever that is), I ask myself, like what the fu.ck?. Gee, Safin has more brain/personality in his little pinky than Fed/Nadal plus Laver/Tilden/Stepanek combined.

I know that many of you guys love/adore/can't live without Fed but could you please stop opening stupid threads ... worship Buddha, Allah, Jesus, Lady Ga Ga or Britney Spears. fu,ck tennis and tennis player. this is all stupid. fu*ck Djokovic, Fed, Nadal and Murray all at once.

I'm changing my avi and supporting Donald Young from now on.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellis_lv View Post
Ok, what's funny is most of the outspoken guys ended up getting better sponsorship deals than the players of today.

If Roddick was still top 5, no doubt he'd still have every brand coming after him for sponsorship.

Fed's still one of the most (if not, the most) marketable guy in sports.

I think if Tomic ever reached his 'potential', he'd be a marketing rep's dream.

Personality sells. Even more so than results, maybe.
outspoken my a$$. you know sh!t. watch some Rodick or Safin stuff if you want to see 'outspoken/smart' ... try Nastase too
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Because people want to be themselves.... to me Federer seems forced.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
I know that many of you guys love/adore/can't live without Fed but could you please stop opening stupid threads ... worship Buddha, Allah, Jesus, Lady Ga Ga or Britney Spears. fu,ck tennis and tennis player. this is all stupid. fu*ck Djokovic, Fed, Nadal and Murray all at once.

are you high?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
country flag nellis_lv

Quote:
what freaking personality? Fed has none. Roddick and Djokovic simply own him is this department. Fed is the best tennis player ever but when it comes to his personality (whatever that is), I ask myself, like what the fu.ck?. Gee, Safin has more brain/personality in his little pinky than Fed/Nadal plus Laver/Tilden/Stepanek combined.

I'm not even a fan of the guy, but there's no denying that Fed gives the most solid, direct, and intelligent responses when asked. Whether they're genuine, who the f knows?

He isn't afraid of saying when something doesn't matter, either (davis cup).

Djokovic is cool, but tries too hard to be liked and can't loosen up. It's obvious. It's also obvious that he knows he can stay #1 until 2050 and still won't ever get the sponsorship deals or popularity of Fed or Nadal.

I did mention Roddick and Safin, and I agree.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
country flag Alex999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
are you high?
meh, just cranky and sick. high fever. can't get rid of this stupid flu I have right now. sorry Kat. please don't take my posts like it's against Fed or anybody. It's against Novak/Nadal/Ferer/whoever too ... just don't like worshiping of any kind...

Last edited by Alex999 : 12-30-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Quote:
meh, just cranky and sick. high fever. can't get rid of this stupid flu I have right now. sorry.
awww, hope you get well soon.