Back to the drawing board for Team Roddick - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-14-2004, 06:39 AM   #61
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the drawing board for Team Roddick

wow im gone all day and look how much i have missed well actually, all the same ideas have been tossed around alll day it looks like, and im too lazy to read evry single thing everyone has written, so im nowhere nearer to a conclusion of what i really think about how andy is doing and whats gonna happen next
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004, 09:50 AM   #62
country flag Nishy

Nishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with most of your posts but I think he still has a good year except he doesn't have Grand Slam title. I just want to think about why he couldn't take GS title and here are my two main views.

1. Motivation
His "motivation or hungry spirit" is not high as last year and that makes this year "good year but not great year" because he didn't take Grand Slam title. I think he still has burnout syndrome. He won US Open that he dreamed from his childhood and he reached top of the mountain so what else is best for him? It seems he is not sure what he wants next. One of the reasons why I think his motivation is not high enough to win is: The choker of the critical moment. He choked most of critical moments (vs. Safin, vs. Mutis, vs. Johansson) --> If he really eager to win, he should focus at that time. He could in last year.

2. Timing and luck
Last year was good timing. This year, his game is improving, but this year is not. This year is just not for him and luck is not on his side.

But think about a good way, this year is good for him because it is a patient training year. When he overcomes this frustration, he might be stronger in next year. I hope he has more hungry spirit after tough loss against Johansson and has clear vision what he really wants to do. Next year he doesn’t worry much about defending title and he is challenger position so it looks good.
Nishy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #63
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Andy gets pissy with umpires etc. when he is nervous, edgy, and upset with himself. He takes it out on the umpire.

I don't ever laugh or think it's cute. I know when he behaves that way, he is simply telegraphing his unease to his opponent. But, I think that Andy sometimes gets so nervous he simply can't keep all that agitated energy inside and feels he has to do something about it. A big part of big time tennis is controlling emotions.

Todd Martin, in one of his farewell interviews on TV this year, spoke about dealing with his emotions and learning about his emotions. He spoke about it as if that had been one of his central experiences in tennis.

Andy needs to have some wise person to speak to about how he feels on the court and how he can manage himself on the court. Agassi is another very emotional player who has learned to manage his emotions far better. He also has some very tough experiences on the court before he got to the place he is now. I think that Gil Reyes was the central person in Agassi's career who dispensed wisdom.

Gilbert might be good for the X and O's, but I wonder how he is at communicating these central lessons. Also, I think Andy isn't too good at listening to that sort of advice either. Anyway, I think Andy has improved his on court behavior, but I was very disappointed in him Thursday night.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:41 PM   #64
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that the tough losses will only help him in the long run. Someone on another forum mentioned that the Pimmy match will finally be his wake-up call to start making some changes in how he approaches matches.

I almost can't wait to get my hands on Brad's new book. I think once I read it and understand how he goes about his coaching duties, I will feel better about Andy's relationship with Brad. I think many of us here fear that the relationship is more father/mentor than coach.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:42 PM   #65
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

star..

For a while last year, he seemed to be able to control his emotions and that's what, IMO, led the way to his amazing success over the summer. Somehow, when Brad came on board, he was immediately able to get a lot of that stuff in check. And now it seems to have come back a little bit for some reason. Even in the tough matches he had last summer, I simply just don't remember him acting like a petulant idiot. He's nost as bad now as he was before last summer, but it's bad enough to where it's affecting him in these close matches. It's definitely disconcerting.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:37 AM   #66
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what the Augusta Free Press is, but here's a new editorial from it. I feel like I'm reading myself... this is great.
========

Roddick is no Sampras ... yet

Sports Views
Stephen Winslow
Augusta Free Press
vote4chg@yahoo.com

Andy Roddick's run at the 2004 U.S. Open came to an abrupt end on Thursday night in New York City at the hands of a 6-6 Swedish upstart named Joachim Johansson.

The loss is not what is of interest. After all, in today's tennis world, anyone in the top 50 has a shot to beat the best in the world on any given day, and Johansson is ranked 30th in the world, and he is a good player on the verge of being a great player.

What is disturbing is the way that Roddick, ranked second in the world, lost this match.

Roddick lost his cool. He let the intensity of the moment take him out of his own game. He started complaining about line calls, he started rushing his serve, and he started short arming his forehand. In short, he let Johansson dictate points and take him out of his game.

Roddick wants to be number one in the world. He wants to win Grand Slams, and he wants to carry American men's tennis on his back. He may accomplish all those things before his career is complete, but not today. He is in the unenviable position of replacing a legend of the game, Pete Sampras. He is not ready.

Roddick lacks three very important elements of the game that Sampras mastered: emotional maturity, managing the game the way a golfer manages the course, and serving biggest under the greatest pressure.

This is a tricky conversation to have. Roddick is number two in the world for good reason. He has the most powerful serve ever seen in the men's game. He has a huge forehand. He is as athletic as any person you will ever see on a tennis court.

However, that isn't what Roddick wants. He wants to be number one. He wants to be the best of the best ... that means Pete Sampras-like. The only way Roddick is going to over take the likes of Roger Federer (who looks a lot like Sampras at his prime) is if he takes his game to another level.

The emotional battle

Pete was at his best when the pressure was the greatest. He had nerves of steel and an icy glare that wore down his opponents. He was calm under pressure and carried himself with a certain quite assurance.

He was accused of being dull because he didn't show a lot of emotion while playing. I called him "The Ice Man," and watched as he disassembled his challenger's strengths while asserting his game on them. He knew when to attack and when to be patient. Above all, he knew he had to keep his emotions in check.

There is only one player I have ever seen that truly got better when he lost his composure - John McEnroe. It takes a special personality to be able to lose your cool while improving your game. Roddick doesn't possess that personality. Each time Andy showed those emotions, his game would slip. In the second set he double-faulted, and in the final set he tightened up and was broken.

Andy must learn to accept things that he cannot control such as the wind, bad calls and the game on the other side of the net. He needs to focus on what he can control like his serve at crucial moments, and his footwork near the net.

Managing the game

Pete Sampras managed the game better then anyone I had seen play since Jimmy Connors. Pete understood that he could break a match down to a couple of key moments, and it was at that time that Pete would take over.

Andy Roddick has not mastered the ability to sense his opportunity. Andy can manage the game better. He can learn to control the big points better.

The big serve

Andy's serve concerned me more then anything else about the match. As I stated earlier, Andy has the most powerful serve in tennis. However, he is not always able to use it to bail him out when he gets into trouble. That may be the largest difference between him and Pete. Sampras could pull that serve out of his back pocket each time he needed to dial up an easy point. Whenever the pressure mounted the more powerful his serve was.

Pete could dig deep and intimidate opponents with his serve, but most importantly he could bail himself out of trouble, he could finish a match, and he could manage the game better then any tennis player of his era because he could dial up that big serve at will. Time and time again he would find himself down 40-love, and he would dial that serve in and ace his way back to deuce.

Andy has not displayed that ability to place the ball with such effectiveness that it leaves opponents defenseless. Don't get me wrong, it is a blazing serve that went 152mph at the U.S. Open. However, his biggest misses are at the biggest moments.

Andy is young, and he may be able to muster up the iron will that I have witnessed in the past, but he needs to be able to do it with consistency and a serve that rises to the occasion of the most difficult moments on the court.

In the meantime, it’s enough to say that Andy isn't Pete Sampras quite yet

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 09-15-2004, 04:46 AM   #67
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

WOW---great article! Thanks Deb this person has taken everything we have been saying the past few days and put it in one giant post

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:29 AM   #68
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

wow is right yeah thats exactly what we have been trying to say...thanks for posting it, Deb

and yeah, i am lookinh forward to brad's new book too. like you said tangy, maybe it will give us a better look inside how that coaching is really going. we may have our doubts about brad but all in all, i think he has been good for andy, and for even those who dont like brad, i think andy is better off with brad than never changing coaches or not having a coach or whatever. IMO brad is a good coach for andy, just maybe some of their ideas need to change a little bit
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 AM   #69
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Pete Sampras-like? Pete was never compared with other players.
Andy's physically/emotionally not at his best, so comparing him to Pete is unfair & ridiculous.

If he wants to be "in the zone," he should get major help from Pete's former coach PAUL ANNACONE, who can teach (volleys/discipline) without fooling around with childishness.
...or Mats Wilander, who may not be an ass-kisser, but he has better ideas than Gilbert.

1- Pete took care of his body and didn't make his life difficult with food poisoning before a match. He only got sick a few times in 15 years.
Andy waited until the last minute to change his eating habit. He can't see the connection between wasting his pre-match time & losing pitifully afterwards.
2- Andy can say he doesn't want a Pete/Andre comparison, but he got overdramatic everytime he talked about them.
Andy tried to hide his anger over his foot injury & discomfort with playing, knowing he'd humiliate himself in front of the '02 USO crowd.
3- Andy doesn't really want to be #1 and do his best.
He'd rather party, date a phony girl & then quit tennis in 6-7 yrs after having never reached his potential.
I may be wrong, but all I see is anxiety & stubbornness written on Andy's face.

Last edited by heya : 09-15-2004 at 10:01 AM.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:26 AM   #70
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Why is Andy insecure? He feels like everything is too difficult to deal with & he'd rather leave the court quickly. Winning has to be easy & quick

A great, "improved" player doesn't lose because he double faults.
In a slam, he plans ahead of time just in case he faces a difficult, long match.
He doesn't make a nuisance of himself (phony & condescending toward opponent, self-disrespect, ignorance).

Improvement doesn't include playing with wrong techniques again & again. Becoming a great player includes keeping a lean, healthy body & conserving energy.

Tennis's unfair because winning the most points doesn't always mean you win the match. That's why he can't afford to do nothing while his opponents serve.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #71
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Who is this Stephen Winslow and why is he reading our board?

Somebody blind copy Brad Gilbert on that.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:53 PM   #72
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
In the meantime, it’s enough to say that Andy isn't Pete Sampras quite yet

Thank God for that!!

The minute I see Andy resemble Pete Sampras is when I'm no longer a fan.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:01 PM   #73
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
Somebody blind copy Brad Gilbert on that.
I did, from my mostly unused Yahoo email address

Old 09-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #74
country flag Nishy

Nishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond reputeNishy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks bunk for the article.
Nishy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #75
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

2005-The year Roddick took it to another level.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote