Back to the drawing board for Team Roddick - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-13-2004, 07:16 PM   #31
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the drawing board for Team Roddick

Do you think Roddick is upset, I mean, after all he got to sit next to the hot girl on the plane.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #32
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this article. It focuses more on the Williams sisters but I think it could apply to Andy as well. I don't agree with some of the points he makes but it's relevant to our discussion and we can use it as a springboard.

With no Plan B, big hitters vulnerable
By Doug Smith, special for USA TODAY

NEW YORK — Venus and Serena Williams, once considered the dynamic duo of women's tennis, limp into the U.S. Open this week with sagging confidence, suspect games and the rankings of also-rans.

Neither has played with the consistent brilliance of the early 2000s that gave them a fear-factor edge, especially against early round opponents. Those foes are now more confident of notching the big upset when facing either sister.

If the sisters survive the early rounds, the fitter and tour-toughened top-ranked pros ought to be poised to shove them aside.

What's behind the sisters' dramatic decline?

Outside interests and injuries, which led to extended absences, have dulled their skills, sabotaged their timing and gnawed at their confidence.

Whenever the sisters' power games slipped out of sync this year, they produced unforced errors by the bushel and finished out of the winner's circle at most events. No. 11-ranked Serena won her lone title (Miami) in eight events played this year; No. 12 Venus took two titles (Charleston and Warsaw) in 10 events.

Venus missed six months, and Serena was sidelined for eight months.

Referring to the side effects normally associated with long layoffs, former pro Zina Garrison, U.S. Federation Cup coach, says, "You have to realize you're not where you left off and neither are the people that you left (on tour). They're moving on. They're getting more experience. The game is moving on. You have to do things a little bit differently than you did to get to where you were."

Besides the obvious rustiness, the sisters' year-in-decline spotlighted a more serious flaw in their games: They had no plan B or C to call upon when their power games (Plan A) malfunctioned. Of course, none was needed a few years ago when each spent time at No. 1 and routinely finished among the top 10.

An analysis of the Williams sisters' games pinpoints the problem.

Their basic strategy is unchanged and simple: always from the baseline, pound the ball deep into the corners. And then pound it some more.

Seldom do they exploit their offensive-laced weaponry by varying the tempo, i.e. following a blistering forehand crosscourt with a change of pace down-the-line backhand or mixing under-spins and slices with their usual laser-like groundstrokes.

When they struggle for consistency with their baseline game, rarely do they consider altering opponents' rhythm by, for example, forcing hardcore baseliners to the net to hit an occasional backhand or forehand volley.

Their tactics are limited — drop shots, offensive lobs and shots that require punching volleys at the net rarely are used. Apparently, no one has taught them the value of blocking, rather than taking full swings at 100 mph serves.

Both would have committed far fewer unforced errors this year had they used half swings to block returns of serves, instead of expending additional energy and a few more seconds to cock and then uncork full body swings. Stat sheets likely suggest that in the sisters' losses this year, they committed dozens of unforced errors.

What's behind the sisters' lack of court strategy and tactics? Two things stand out.

•Like many top pros of the past 20 years, they were groomed and nurtured in this era of tennis academies, where youngsters seemingly spend their entire childhoods hitting forehands and two-fisted backhands at the baseline. Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, Monica Seles, Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati rose to No. 1 playing mostly from the baseline. Steffi Graf, the only top player to hit heavy slice with a one-handed backhand, won 22 Grand Slam titles playing from the baseline.

Graf's husband, Andre Agassi, has picked up eight Grand Slam titles with his backcourt game.

•Players no longer need to construct points, i.e., maneuver opponents into off-balance positions to hit weak or short balls or maneuver themselves closer to the net for put-away volleys. With today's high-tech rackets, they routinely can hit winners from the baseline. So why bother with the game's nuances or try to become a complete player? If you win $1 million for capturing the U.S. Open, who will care that you never left the baseline?

Some experts say tennis has lost its appeal partly because of the absence of contrasting styles.

Fans loved to watch the serve-and-volley styles of Rod Laver, Boris Becker and Pete Sampras when they clashed with baseliners such as Ken Rosewall, Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg or Agassi.

The Martina Navratilova-Evert rivalry always drew big numbers — in the stands, and in TV ratings. Sportswriters and fans were, at times, annoyed by John McEnroe's antics, but mesmerized by his magician's touch — especially when pitted against Ivan Lendl's automaton-like consistency from the baseline.

Rivalries to match Navratilova vs. Evert, or Sampras vs. Agassi, have yet to emerge as charismatic serve-and-volleyers have become extinct.

Switzerland's Roger Federer, Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, appears to be the lone gifted serve-and-volleyer on the men's tour. In his straight-sets win over Albert Costa on Monday, Federer was successful 30 of the 39 times he approached the net. All-time great Navratilova, now 47, is practically the only serve-and-volleyer on the women's tour.

Still, the purses get larger and the tennis academies continue to stress the ground game. One wonders just how great gifted athletes such as Graf, Venus and Serena could have been had someone forced them to show competency at the net, or how great Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova, Russia's 17-year-old rising star, might be if she were to develop a net game.

Neither the Williams sisters nor any of the game's top baseliners is likely to change her style. One thing is certain: participants in the 2004 U.S. Open women's final won't dally at the net — until, of course, the handshake that follows match point.

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...ers-open_x.htm
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #33
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus
Sjeng Schalken sucks...lol
What's this? Roddick fans are so much more mature than their childish, Duck-hating, trolling foes? Thank you for proving that statement wrong, Fumus.

Let me know how well you can play tennis with glandular fever in the future.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:34 PM   #34
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're 6'5" & still are light on your feet, it's impossible to volley after serving 135 mph & the ball bitches back at 90 mph.

How about 125 mph flat serve down the T, then volley?!!
Nobody's saying "You gave patient, philosophical interviews & waxed lyrical about your life.
Stop being a person half your intellect.
No more humiliating yourself in front your opponent & no more losses due to exhaustive playing.
Get used to running. Use angles, drop shots & quick volleys."

"I love football & enjoy a beer while my idol "Diesel" O'Neal dunks the ball.
I don't care about rushing to lose weight & learn new lessons on all court surfaces.

Wham! Take that, you can't match my power...
I kept admiring my opponent even when I was winning & still managed to lose.
I choked while having set point & 11 break points.
I stopped using my imagination & refused to slow down to conserve energy.

I don't stop easily-correctable errors.
I foolishly want the annoyed crowd to have a relationship with me.

I don't worry about leaving with a title, especially when I play on clay against the top guys.
Brad told me to take 1 match at a time.
I don't plan ahead before I meet Spadea, Bjorkman, Enqvist, Safin, Coria, Gaudio, Henman, Hewitt, Fed, Nalbandian, Massu, Gonzalez, Johannsson, Karlovic, etc."

That's why he'll never be great. Right, Guiltbert?!!
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=228
nothing makes my day better than a troll being trolled http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=233
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=246

Last edited by heya : 09-13-2004 at 09:18 PM.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:36 PM   #35
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

notice how you didn't disagree with the statement.
That's the gospel.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #36
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
but see, the nervous and tight at 4-5 doesn't bother me as much as the fact that he was in the 5th anyway. He came out totally flat in the beginning of the match, he never should've been in a 5th set anyway IMO. Look what Lleyton did to PimPim, he got him to that 4-5 or 5-6 game and put the pressure on and his lack of experience showed through and Lleyton could break. But Andy threw two games in those first two sets, one on a double fault and the other in the second where he had been up 40-0, he never gave himself the opportunity to get PimPim in that pressurized situation. To me that's an even bigger problem than the 4-5 game.
I agree in that it's not so much that he lost to Pimmy, but it's how he lost that's driving me crazy. It was a winnable match and he blew it. Those first two sets were insane; I seriously wished I were in that audience so I could've yelled at him, "Wake the fuck up!" He was out there and after blazing through his first three matches, I don't know why he came out so flat footed. It's not because he was tired, he has energy to spare. I still think that perhaps something happened in the day that really bothered him because his usual intensity and concentration was not there. Plus, he was cranky as hell from set one.

One of the match reports I read said something to the effect that Andy found himself in the surreal position of playing himself that day and that he was doing what his opponents usually do to him: stand twenty feet behind the baseline. Staying back like that gives all the control to your opponent and that's why Pimmy was able to dictate practically every point. Andy was constantly on the defensive running around in the backyard and couldn't (or wouldn't) move up to the net to take a point away from him. The only time he did that is when he finally broke in the third set. Did Andy learn from this? No. Instead he tried ace his way out of trouble like he usually does but this time he got tight and it didn't work.

I need more coffee. LOL.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 09-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #37
country flag Jennay

Jennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond repute

We're all morphing into Heya
Jennay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:57 PM   #38
Last dance, Andy

LOL. heya's been an excellent influence on us

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 09-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #39
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

I really believe Andy has no concern. The problem IS there are MORON Coaches in the U.S.
Andy's worshipping other players' shotmaking more than his own.

1 talented person can teach him:
"I'm not here to be your partying buddy.
Everyday, you need to practice & use a powerful 1-handed backhand to keep the opponent off-balanced.
A 2-handed bh's good for mostly quick winners, but it doesn't open up the court."
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=228
nothing makes my day better than a troll being trolled http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=233
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=246
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:35 PM   #40
country flag Iheartandy&roger

Iheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond reputeIheartandy&roger has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of talent our Andy has but I see him making himself more of a novelty item in tennis and not a respectable tennis player the way he's been throwing hissy fits and whatever else I mean it's cute sometimes and i must admit I do laugh sometimes... but we need to focus on getting the job done and pissing everybody off by winning u cant let it get to u the whole match!! .... bad andy!! p.s. : He's still young though and some guys are a little immature still and I think he'll come out of it so no need to won't worry yet!

Last edited by Iheartandy&roger : 09-13-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Iheartandy&roger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 PM   #41
country flag andyroxmysox12191

andyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond repute

well....i think i joined this conversation a little too late so everything i would've said has already been said. i especially agree with the whole brad thing. brad needs to put coaching ahead of being friends if he wants andy to do great. sometimes being too buddy buddy with each other, isnt all that good.
in some ways, imo, their coach/player relationship has more friendship than coaching. i know brad and andy are working hard and are trying to improve and thats probably their main goal (it would be mine lol) but i just think that they're somewhat being lazy off behind the scenes? im not sure how to say what i think cause my mind is being a really big :retard: right now. lol
and everything else i wanted to say has already been said by everyone else lol
Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #42
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

but tangy, it's not like he didn't know PimPim's game before. He beat him this year, they played juniors a lot and even doubles together back then. He knew he was gonna be "playing himself" - he knows how big PimPim serves, he knew all that. It still doesn't explain the way he played in that match. If anything, his prior knowledge and experience should have made him and Brad EXTRA-conscious of having a good gameplan, between the two of them they should've known what to do. Just no excuses.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:01 AM   #43
country flag nguyen

nguyen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
He's been DF'ing all over the place because he's 1) angry with himself; 2) angry with a bad call and can't shake it; 3) trying to win a cheap point and he's tight; and/or 4) too damn impatient. Or how about all of the above?

If Andy weren't so impatient, his clay results would be better.

And he really needs to work on his temper. If he's trying to use it to jack himself up, it's not working anymore and only causes him to lose his focus.
well I think ive joined this convo to late too.

Doesnt that make you miss Pete? Roddick is a bit immature and mentally unstable, in other words..hes lost out there. What really suprises me is his relationship w/ the fans (is this just me?). Some matches he completely ignores them, other times hes hating on them, or he gets them going. I thought it was awesome when he got soo pumped with that first break, when he was at the net, against PimPim in the USO.
nguyen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:17 AM   #44
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

When Federer is hogging pretty much all the slams, everyone is having a "crap" year if you wanna use those standards tangy. Andy has said it before he doesn't care about the ranks and stuff, he wanted to improve as a player, and he clearly is. You see improvements in his game little by little so imo that's what counts the most. Yeah he didn't win a major this year, but it's not like he totally stunk them up (sauf RG). Yes he "should have" won vs both Safin and PimPim, but he didn't and he'll learn from those loses, like he always does. That Wimbledon finals there's not much to look back on, Roger was just too good over a period of 4 sets (and if I'm not mistaken that was Roger's biggest test in a big time final(ie. GS, TMC, TMS. I'm doing this on my memory, and Roger's career highlights aren't on the top of my list)) Anyways I don't really care that he went slameless this year or that he "only" won 4 titles this year. He's still raking in a heck of a lot of wins, points, and is getting better. That's what counts in my book. (though a Slam would have rocked)

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #45
country flag Fumus

haha Naldo, nice fine print.
That's the gospel.