Back to the drawing board for Team Roddick - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-13-2004, 03:21 AM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Back to the drawing board for Team Roddick

I think we can all agree that for the most part, Andy is a better, more complete player this year than he was last year. And yet I can't help but feel that this year is something of a letdown for him (it was bound to be, after the 2003 high). He has four titles, but no slams, no Olympic medal. What exactly is holding him back?

For the heck of it, I checked the ATP site to get a list of Roddick murderers. Here are the Most Wanted:

In 2004 he lost to:

Jonas Bjorkman (Qatar)
Marat Safin (Aussie Open)
Thomas Enqvist (Memphis)
Vince Spadea (Scottsdale)
Tim Henman (Indian Wells)
Tommy Haas (Houston)
Guillermo Canas (Rome)
Olivier Mutis (Roland Garros)
Roger Federer (Wimbledon & Toronto)
Andre Agassi (Cincy)
Fernando Gonzales (Olympics)
Joachim Johansson (US Open)

I looked at the list of players he lost to last year and two names kept coming up: Federer and Henman. These are the two who pose the biggest obstacle for Andy. Looking at this list, I see a few whom he had no business losing to in the first place: freakin' Vince Spadea at Scottsdale? C'mon, that would've been an easy title win for him but he had to go and have a five-minute hissy fit that accomplished absolutely nothing except for him to be docked a point and then go on to lose the tournament. Ass.

Memphis. Something happened at Memphis and I forgot what (besides him losing). Was this when he broke up with Mandy? I remember Andy being very sour. I recall us having conversations about the state of Andy's well-being and even Brad Gilbert caused some panic when he mentioned that not all was well in Roddick's camp these days.

Gonzales and Johansson. Two classic examples of why Andy sucks ass when he plays defensively and not offensively. He almost always, always loses when he sits back and waits for something to happen. When will someone kick him in the head and tell him this is not the way he should be playing? He must know this already, so why does he keep doing it? How do we get him to stop this nasty habit?

Clay. Pfft. Self-explanatory.

His temper/ADD. Just when we think he's got his temper under control, along comes a Scottsdale. Just when we think he's finally grown up, he starts kicking over microphones in Cincy and giggles over it. He's still caught between being a boy and being a man. He's intelligent, but not completely self-aware. He's confident but immature. He's still far too impatient to construct points or work the clay. He's not smashing as many rackets these days but unfortunately, he's now taking his frustrations out on others. Please go back to smashing rackets, Andy, and quit harassing the linespeople and/or trash-talking with fans.

There's a lot of other things on my mind but I just wanted to put this out and see what you all thought.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 09-13-2004 at 03:26 AM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 03:26 AM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the drawing board for Team Roddick

Memphis was when he hurt his back.

My guess is Scottsdale, the whole tournament, had something to do with post-Mandy syndrome. Plus his back wasn't quite right, and having been to much of it, it was kinda a weird tournament all-around. I would be surprised to see Andy back.

He was exhausted in Houston and anyone would've beaten him in that final.

My problem is the close matches that he could've won - AO, RG, IW, Cincy, and USO.

Rome was Rome... even he says he didn't want to be on court, ok so that's an aberration.

I still believe the reason why the top guys didn't do well at the Olympics was b/c they put the pressure on themselves, they wanted it almost TOO Badly. Same deal for Andy and Roger. That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

It's something mental because I believe technically speaking his game has improved a lot over the past year. Something about when he was late into a 3rd or 5th set something happened, whether a call flipped him off or he just played one lazy serve game or what, it's not good.

I agree that he hasn't quite finished maturing yet. It's silly to compare him to a Lleyton or Roger - maybe they matured earlier, they both turned pro earlier as well.

He needs to plan his schedule better, he needs to get past his fierce loyalty to tournaments that might not be the best for him schedule-wise.

He needs to commit to improving on clay and he needs to keep up with what he's doing fitness-wise, and he also needs to continue taking risks by going to net and using his BH more in matches. Those are things I admire. I don't expect it all to come together immediately, and the fact that he's a slam winner and a consistent top 3 player with serious holes in his game, that's saying something if he keeps improving. I still keep going back to mental stuff this year... I dunno.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 09-13-2004 at 03:30 AM.
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:31 AM   #3
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you bunk, he's hit a wall; this whole year seemed stagnate, like he never got out of the gate. He can handle pressure from the outside very well but not, apparently, when he puts pressure on himself. And like we said before, he's had to deal with some very tough losses (Safin, Federer, Agassi, etc.) that had to have affected him thoughout the year. The pressure to maintain top form is so much more different than getting there.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 AM   #4
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

its just all mental at this point IMO, he had such a great year last year so obviously there was bound to be some dissapointment. yeah he needs to really work on doing something during the clay season but frankly, i dont think he really cares about that. he just wants to go out there on a hardcourt and dominate, and unfortunatly or him it doesnt work like that. he as at the top riught now, or pretty close to it, the thing is, what now?
superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 AM   #5
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

The season is not over yet. Don't you think you are overreacting just a little? Say Andy wins another title a big or small this year, can you honestly say that 5 titles in a year is bad?
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:36 AM   #6
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep yep...

And it'd be easy to put some of the blame on Brad, and... maybe he deserves some of it, but push comes to shove it seems to be at the end of these long matches where the problems arise - his serve lets him down, his volleying deteriorates (see the Moya match in Miami which he should have lost except Carlos is even worse mentally than he is), his BH goes downhill, it's something.

Oh and all the doublefaults on break points are really starting to piss me the F off. Doesn't matter if he has one of the best/fastest serves in the game if he double faults on break points. He's done it CONSISTENTLY all summer long, it's really annoying the shit out of me.

And Danielle, I agree with you about surface. He's just point-blank, period, end of story, GOT to improve on clay. It's embarrassing. Something he's probably improved upon most is his movement. That combined with his better consistency off both wings on the ground, and the fact that he returns somewhat better, really gives him absolutely NO excuse not to do better on clay. Just NO excuse. He's GOT to get it in his head that he is capable of playing on it, that's what is holding him back, he simply doesn't even believe he can do well so he loses confidence in his shots and his game deteriorates the second he steps on the pretty courts.

But if he doesn't put up better results and plan his clay schedule better next year... it's really gonna start to be hard to support him.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 09-13-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:38 AM   #7

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
Oh and all the doublefaults on break points are really starting to piss me the F off. Doesn't matter if he has one of the best/fastest serves in the game if he double faults on break points. He's done it CONSISTENTLY all summer long, it's really annoying the shit out of me.
yeah and okay thats alright if he takes some chances on his second serve because most of the time, it works for him, and hes obviously very confident in it. it doesnt always work though. come on, if youre down a break point and its gonna be hard for you to win the point in the first place with all those things running through your mind, please dont go for the killer serve, he doesnt even give himself a chance by doing that, its ridiculous
Old 09-13-2004, 03:41 AM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

Andy lost the first set three times between the Olympics and USO (Haas, Gonzo, PimPim).... all three of those times, the set rested on one break of serve that was caused by an Andy double fault. I wish I could be making that stat up.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:41 AM   #9
Last dance, Andy

He's been DF'ing all over the place because he's 1) angry with himself; 2) angry with a bad call and can't shake it; 3) trying to win a cheap point and he's tight; and/or 4) too damn impatient. Or how about all of the above?

If Andy weren't so impatient, his clay results would be better.

And he really needs to work on his temper. If he's trying to use it to jack himself up, it's not working anymore and only causes him to lose his focus.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 09-13-2004, 03:43 AM   #10
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Bunk andy doesn't move well enough on the clay to be a Tier 1 player on it. He game/tactics are not suited for clay. He could change that but it would take maybe 2 years. Just like it takes time not as long for clay guys to be good on hardcourts.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:47 AM   #11
Last dance, Andy

omg, this thread is screaming for a heya rant. Please heya, come and post some more of your brilliant poetry. I need a fix bad.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 09-13-2004, 03:48 AM   #12
country flag Deboogle!.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:50 AM   #13
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
omg, this thread is screaming for a heya rant. Please heya, come and post some more of your brilliant poetry. I need a fix bad.
I've been too long without a Heya rant.

Actually..... been too long without reading posts from all of you (with a few notable exceptions )
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:57 AM   #14
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Here's my prescription for Andy.

First. Get rid of the stupid trucker cap. It's only holding him back. I can't see his game ever developing with the stupid cap.

Second. Dump Reebok. There's no way anyone could win a slam with that ugly shirt. It was a fluke that he won last year with the ugliness of that design, but this year's design was absolutely ghastly and Andy probably just didn't want to have a lot of pictures around of him holding a trophy with that ugly shirt. I'm sure it was subconscious, but really..... I think playing even 5 matches in that shirt was asking way too much.

Third.... The shoes. Man oh man. Andy's got heavy feet anyway... no light poetic foot movement from him. He doesn't need dark or darkish shoes weighing him down.

Fourth .. His coach needs to stop being so f...ing in love with him. I mean, Brad looked like his son died when Andy lost to Pim Pim.

I could go on, but I've mentioned the important stuff....

you know....... except the pizza ........
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:01 AM   #15

LMAO omg i saw some picture of some doubles team (i think its was the old men's doubles-- sorry i dont know what else to call it ) and they were both wearing that goddamned ugly reebok shirt.