U.S. Summer Hard Court Season!/LA, DC, Binghamton and now USO Qualies! - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #226
country flag Papakori

Papakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. Summer Hard Court Season!/LA, DC, and now Binghamton

Congrats Kei! Getting closer to the top 100 again.
Papakori is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #227
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

From facebook:

I won my third challenger this year. Feeling great. We had to move indoors but played so good!

And some media reports:

Nishikori takes inside track to Challenger tennis title

By Kevin Stevens •kstevens@gannett.com • August 15, 2010, 8:35 pm

BINGHAMTON -- Kei Nishikori transitioned nicely to the indoor game Sunday and claimed the Levene, Gouldin & Thompson Tennis Challenger's singles championship with a 6-3, 7-6 (4) victory over American Robert Kendrick at Binghamton Tennis Center.

Nishikori, a 20-year-old native of Japan who resides in Bradenton, Fla., overcame a bothersome shoulder and his opponent's big serve to claim the $7,200 winner's share.

In the doubles final that preceded Nishikori's triumph, Treat Conrad Huey of the Philippines and Dominic Inglot of Great Britain defeated Americans Scott Lipsky and David Martin, 5-7, 7-6 (2), 10-8.

Rain prompted relocation of the event from Recreation Park to BTC, marking the first time in the 17-year history of the tournament that champions were decided under a roof.

And to hear Nishikori tell it, the switch did nothing to enhance his chances.

"It's so much an advantage for him because he had a very good serve and I'm average," he said. "I thought it'd be a really tough match."

The critical point of the opening set came when Nishikori broke Kendrick's serve to take a 3-1 advantage -- the lengthy final baseline-to-baseline point coming to a close when Kendrick buried a ball into the net and followed by slamming his racquet to the playing surface.

Each player held serve through conclusion of the set, leaving Kendrick to battle uphill against an opponent ranked as high as 56th last February before undergoing elbow surgery.

Nishikori and Kendrick each took care of their serve through to bring the second set to a tiebreak. Along the way, Kendrick rallied from a 15-40 jam to grab a 5-4 lead, his spirited fist-pump upon gaining the point illustrating the significance of his work.

Leading 2-1 in the tiebreak, Nishikori broke serve to move ahead by 3-1, once again prompting a bit of racquet "slippage" by his opponent. A crafty backhand cross-court offering extended Nishikori's lead to 4-2 and an ace extended it to 5-2 and all but spelled the end for Kendrick.

"I thought he did everything well," Kendrick said of Nishikori. "Somebody in the crowd said, 'His elbow's hurting. C'mon, you can beat him.' I wish my elbow felt that bad. He was hitting lights-out out there."

" ... He's a great player on all surfaces. He's obviously a top-25 player, I think."

Nishikori said, "I was returning well in important points. The second set, he was serving really well and I couldn't break."

Nishikori, who plays right-handed, said he began experiencing pain in his left shoulder Sunday morning, and it bothered him "a little bit" while tossing the ball to serve.

"And honestly, I was tired from two matches Friday and a tough match Saturday," he said.

The doubles finale went according to form through the bulk of the first set until Lipsky-Martin broke serve with Huey at the controls to take a 6-5 advantage, and Martin served to close out the set.

Huey-Inglot broke Lipsky's serve for a 2-0 lead in the second set and extended the advantage to 5-2. Lipsky-Martin drew within 5-4 by breaking Inglot's serve. The second-set tiebreak's lead was Huey-Inglot's for keeps once they broke Lipsky's serve to make it 2-1.

The outcome came down to a 10-point super tiebreak, during which Lipsky-Martin dropped behind by 6-4 courtesy of an ace from Inglot, but rallied into a 7-7 tie. Huey-Inglot broke serve for a 9-7 lead and held on from there.

It was the second doubles victory and shared $3,100 check in as many weeks for Huey-Inglot, who won a Challenger event last weekend in Vancouver.

"It definitely got better as the week progressed," Inglot said of the duo's play. "We started off a little slow in the first match against the Japanese pair (Nishikori and Go Soeda) but we pulled out the result when we needed to, and that really gave us confidence going into the next couple matches. Today it was a little tough going indoors. It's a little faster in here and it took a little time to get used to that."

As for the root of back-to-back victories?

"We knew that if we kept having at it, training hard and pushing ourselves, the results would come. Last week's win gave us a lot of confidence. Coming here, we knew we'd beaten really good pairs before, so we felt like we could beat good pairs here, too."

http://www.pressconnects.com/article...r+tennis+title

Nishikori captures singles crown
courtesy of tennischallenger.com

Kei Nishikori was just plain too good for Robert Kendrick this afternoon at the Levene Gouldin and Thompson Tennis Challenger. The finals were moved indoors to the Binghamton Tennis Center after persistent rain at the outdoor venue of Recreation Park showed no sign of letting up. The move indoors should have been advantage Kendrick, who has a bigger serve of the two, but Nishikori showed why he was ranked a career best 56 in Feb 2009, and how he reached the round of 16 at the 2008 US Open (beating #4 seed David Ferrer along the way) before elbow surgery set him back in the rankings.

A single service break was all Nishikori needed in the first set, breaking Kendrick who was serving at 1-2. Both held serve the remainder of the set for a routine 6-3 Nishikori win.

The second set was a different story as both players took good care of their serve. The only tense moments came when Kendrick, serving at 4-4 down 15-40, was able to regroup and save the game. In the second set tiebreaker, Nishikori got an early break with Kendrick serving at 1-2. Another Nishikori break with Kendrick serving at 2-5 all but sealed the deal, giving Nishikori 4 match points at 6-2. Kendrick responded with an ace, then a minibreak of his own to get to 6-4 Nishikori serving. Then Kendrick dumped match point into the net for a 6-3, 7-6(4) win.

Nishikori: "Honestly I was tired from two matches the day before (yesterday) and the match yesterday, but I had to stay calm, and I had to do the best I can do."

Kendrick: "A lot of people thought that I might have the advantage coming in here with my serve, and what not, but he hit such a flat ball. He really took a lot of time away from me out here. So it was tough conditions and he's a great player on all surfaces."

http://www.wicz.com/news2005/viewarticle.asp?a=15376

-------------------------------------------------
A bit worried about his remarks about the shoulder pain, hope it's nothing serious!

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #228
country flag conivip

conivip is on a distinguished road

Keeeei, genial el numero 100 esta cerca
conivip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #229
country flag Rafkei

Rafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
From facebook:

I won my third challenger this year. Feeling great. We had to move indoors but played so good!

And some media reports:

Nishikori takes inside track to Challenger tennis title

By Kevin Stevens •kstevens@gannett.com • August 15, 2010, 8:35 pm

"I thought he did everything well," Kendrick said of Nishikori. "Somebody in the crowd said, 'His elbow's hurting. C'mon, you can beat him.' I wish my elbow felt that bad. He was hitting lights-out out there."
That is a rude thing to say for a fan

Sorry for them but Kei won!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #230
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

According to his blog, he will travel to New York tomorrow, on Aug. 21.
He seems to be very happy about his matches at Binghamton, not just because he won, but more so because of the way he played there. He thinks his tennis is coming together and is eager to play matches again soon.
This week he's had a quiet time, only doing light training and practicing for a few hours a day, with more weight on the quality of practice than the quantity.

Let's hope he'll have another great USO!

David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #231
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

once again his draw is loaded with tricky and dangerous opponents..its pretty brutal

round 1: paul capdeville ( you never know what your going to get with this guy but kei should win)

round 2: very likely alexander kudrayavtsev which is a dark hose to qualify

round 3: ivo minar, frank dancevic, evgeny donskoy or stephane bohli

of those dancevic and donskoy are the most likely and would be hard
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #232
country flag Rafkei

Rafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond reputeRafkei has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Misty! Thanks for the info....and again another tough draw

Btw, what tournament is Kei playing now? Is this USO Qualifying or another Challenger event?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #233
country flag *bunny*

It's USO qualifying and it starts today though it seems it's raining in New York so we may have to wait for tomorrow to follow Kei's match.

Thanx, misty, for the draw! Yeah it's quite tough...especially Kudryavtse and Dancevic. (I quite like Franky so I hate to see his name in Kei's draw!). Kei should be able to beat all of them but who knows what happens on the day coz every match is different!
I thought maybe we could have a new thread for this but perhaps we can wait until Kei qualifies.

#3 Ferrero Tard

Last edited by *bunny* : 08-24-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #234
country flag *bunny*

OOP for Tuesday (If it doesn't rain):

Court 13
11:00
Olga Savchuk(UKR) vs. Alexa Glatch(USA)
Paul Capdeville(CHI) vs. Kei Nishikori(JPN)[24]
Tetiana Luzhanska(UKR) vs. Oksana Kalashnikova(GEO)
Alex Kuznetsov(USA) vs. Flavio Cipolla(ITA)
Go Soeda(JPN)[2] vs. Yuichi Sugita(JPN)

Soeda vs Sugita in R1!

Full draw:
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/qs/r1s3.html

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #235
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Really tough draw
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #236
country flag Papakori

Papakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond reputePapakori has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. Summer Hard Court Season!/LA, DC, Binghamton and now USO Qualies!

Good luck Kei
Papakori is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #237
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. Summer Hard Court Season!/LA, DC, Binghamton and now USO Qualies!

not the best start

he staved off a break point and capdeville held to love

1-1
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #238
country flag misty1
Banned!

2-1 kei
Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #239
country flag misty1
Banned!

kei breaks

3-1
Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #240
country flag misty1
Banned!

kei leads 4-1 now

serving well, 61% first serve so far and 2 aces