Where does the mosquito nickname come from? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
country flag turkjey5

turkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond reputeturkjey5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where does the mosquito nickname come from?

OK, I'm looking at his nose or his slight build. Is it widely used in Spain? Is is complimentary or derogatory?
turkjey5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
country flag Ferrero Forever

Ferrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where does the mosquito nickname come from?

Oh it's definetly a complement. Nothing to do with his physical appearance, it's just because he's so quick around the court. (And I also think that they called him that because mosquito's are annoying, and Ferrero annoys him opponents by beating the hell outta them too.)

Hope that helps

Juan Monaco, Tommy Robredo, Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Martin Del Potro, David Ferrer, Guillermo Garcia Lopez, Juan Ignatio Chela, Fernando Verdasco, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Lucas Arnold Ker, Nicolas Lapentti
Ferrero Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
country flag beajc

beajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond reputebeajc has a reputation beyond repute

As J.lover said, Ferrero said that his friend called him coz his way to play on the court when he was young... but Ferrero does'nt like this nickname

HERE

#9 Ferrero Tard
beajc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Because he buzzes around the court so quickly. At least he use to.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
country flag Corinna

Corinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by beajc View Post
As J.lover said, Ferrero said that his friend called him coz his way to play on the court when he was young... but Ferrero does'nt like this nickname
i am not sure if i would either
especially since i heard quite a few commentators saying it was because of his physical appearance....
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #6

Ferrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinna View Post
i am not sure if i would either
especially since i heard quite a few commentators saying it was because of his physical appearance....
I am so fed up with the commentators. I saw 2 games of the Ferrero/Federer match yesterday, and the hewitt loving idiot John Newcombe was commentating, and first he said that Juanqui brought his clay court game to Wimbledon, and then in the next point he said how Ferrero reached the quarters of all 4 slams. Then he kept calling him Ferreira which pissed me off. And he has this habit with Ferrero matches only to say 'and Ferrero's asking Federer a question' 'Oh and Federer just answered it' and vice versa. He is full of crap! I hate Newcombe.

Juan Monaco, Tommy Robredo, Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Martin Del Potro, David Ferrer, Guillermo Garcia Lopez, Juan Ignatio Chela, Fernando Verdasco, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Lucas Arnold Ker, Nicolas Lapentti
Old 07-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
country flag Corinna

Corinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond reputeCorinna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanqui Lover View Post
I am so fed up with the commentators. I saw 2 games of the Ferrero/Federer match yesterday, and the hewitt loving idiot John Newcombe was commentating, and first he said that Juanqui brought his clay court game to Wimbledon, and then in the next point he said how Ferrero reached the quarters of all 4 slams. Then he kept calling him Ferreira which pissed me off. And he has this habit with Ferrero matches only to say 'and Ferrero's asking Federer a question' 'Oh and Federer just answered it' and vice versa. He is full of crap! I hate Newcombe.
i think i would explode if I heard his comments
but the question thing was my commentator using as well
i sometimes wonder why they let such ignorant guys doing the commentating
Old 07-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
i think i would explode if I heard his comments
but the question thing was my commentator using as well
i sometimes wonder why they let such ignorant guys doing the commentating
Yeah tell me about it. Newcombe had nothing at all positive to say about JC. He's head is stuck too far up Hewitt's arse to know whats going on around him.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

"And I feel like Federer can still move up another gear."
"He's just toying with Ferrero"
"He can hit the switch at any moment"
"Federer's the one making it hard for himself"
"Let's see the master work his magic down set points!" <- Oops
"This is very un-Federeresque, hitting these unforced errors!" ie. I've only seen him play at grandslams.

AND
"The wind blew away the ball, and it nearly blew Juan Carlos away too, there's not much of him"

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post
"And I feel like Federer can still move up another gear."
"He's just toying with Ferrero"
"He can hit the switch at any moment"
"Federer's the one making it hard for himself"
"Let's see the master work his magic down set points!" <- Oops
"This is very un-Federeresque, hitting these unforced errors!" ie. I've only seen him play at grandslams.

AND
"The wind blew away the ball, and it nearly blew Juan Carlos away too, there's not much of him"
OMG THAT LAST COMMENT ANGERED ME SO MUCH!!! I wanted to kill Newcombe at that moment. Newcombe knows nothing, and I must say, I'm impressed you remembered them all. I remembered the last one (that was by far the worst one) but I couldn't remember what he said word for word.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OMG THAT LAST COMMENT ANGERED ME SO MUCH!!! I wanted to kill Newcombe at that moment. Newcombe knows nothing, and I must say, I'm impressed you remembered them all. I remembered the last one (that was by far the worst one) but I couldn't remember what he said word for word.
I know! Juan Carlos isn't slight, he's buff and strong

I was paraphrasing really, but I think I'm pretty close with most of them.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
country flag Corinna

gosh, i am so happy i didn't have to bear HIM

in our newspaper they showed a picture of federer stretching to get a ball and below it says: no matter how hard ferrero stretched, he was no threat for federer
Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
gosh, i am so happy i didn't have to bear HIM

in our newspaper they showed a picture of federer stretching to get a ball and below it says: no matter how hard ferrero stretched, he was no threat for federer
The best thing about Wimbledon ending is no more Newcombe commentary. But whats in that newspaper is just mean. Nobody should be mean to our Juanqui

Old 07-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
country flag Corinna

Quote:
The best thing about Wimbledon ending is no more Newcombe commentary. But whats in that newspaper is just mean. Nobody should be mean to our Juanqui
is newcombe only commentating wimbledon or all the grand slams?
it's not only mean, but also very very stupid
why do they show a pic of federer stretching but make a mean comment about ferrero?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #15

Quote:
is newcombe only commentating wimbledon or all the grand slams?
it's not only mean, but also very very stupid
why do they show a pic of federer stretching but make a mean comment about ferrero?
Newcombe is basically our head commentator. He does the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and I'm pretty sure he does the US open too. But the thing is we don't get too much tennis here, so it seems like he commentates everything