Continue with tennis or not!? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
country flag ADRIANALIMAFAN

ADRIANALIMAFAN is on a distinguished road
Question Continue with tennis or not!?

Im 17 and 6'4'' and i've been playing tennis for about 1-2 years on and off but not serious. Just for fun and mostly just in the summer. In tennis im like an intermediate player.

At the moment im going to a tennis camp that last 5 weeks everyday. Is it possible for me to play college tennis of any type if i work hard??
ADRIANALIMAFAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Continue with tennis or not!?

It's hard to judge...because a lot of other people who play in college have trained hard for a long time. That doesn't mean you can't do it...you just might have to work a lot harder. Keep it up, don't let people bring you down, and keep us posted. If it doesn't work out, you'll still feel great that you really improved your tennis game, and there's a lot of other options to keep playing tennis if you can't play college tennis. Good luck
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADRIANALIMAFAN View Post
Im 17 and 6'4'' and i've been playing tennis for about 1-2 years on and off but not serious. Just for fun and mostly just in the summer. In tennis im like an intermediate player.

At the moment im going to a tennis camp that last 5 weeks everyday. Is it possible for me to play college tennis of any type if i work hard??
Yes you most definetly can play tennis in college, although it may not be on the Division 1 level. I go to Sacred Heart University (Division 1) and I attempted to walk on to their tennis team. Unfortunately I did not make it but I was still able to play 2nd singles on the Club tennis team (essentially the JV team). My rommate from this past year played 5th singles on the Post University Varsity team (Division II). I played him and beat him 6-0 6-0, so you can play tennis at college, but it may not be necessarily at the Division I level or on the Varsity Team. I do not regret playing on the club team, we still play other club teams like Yale Umass and Fairfield U. Just as a basline, I played 4 years of highschool tennis on a less than stellar highschool team, and I never had a tennis coach and going into my Junior year of college I am now around a 4.0 NTPR. The average Division I college player is around a 5.0 NTPR so I am not that far off. The best thing to do is to play in some tournaments and play some random people. It will simulate the college tennis experience. Feel free message me about any questions about what schools would be good to attend depending on your level or what you should focus on. Good Luck!
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have huge talent, sadly, Division 1 as dunlopkickserve said, is probably not an option. I mean I'm at a D1 school and we had many foreigners who come to the states to play college tennis which is very common among D1 schools. Even in NJCAA competition is extremely high.

USTA is a good indicator of where you could play. I hope you weren't expecting to be able to play for a D1 school though, because you will most likely be disappointed. You can always check out nearby colleges/universities. You will be quickly able to tell where you would stand.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
country flag garfunkel3008
Banned!

garfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond reputegarfunkel3008 has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on yourself. What's your motitation when you first started playing tennis?
garfunkel3008 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote