Robby in Usa Hardcourt Season - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #16

Default Re: Robby in Usa Hardcourt Season

You know while I was trying to find out when Robby moved to Ga I found this interesting older article about Robby. It seems Robby also was a pitcher when he was in school and I guess he must have been pretty good because when it came to picking one sport Robby's Dad wanted him to go with baseball.
Robby's reason for not going with baseball was because it is a team sport and someone else could make a mistake causing a lost game even if he had performed well. Robby said with tennis it was up to the person to win or lose on their own. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read that because Robby has certainly done a lot of losing all on his own in tennis I wonder now if he wished he would have stuck with pitching
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #17
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's said that he also played soccer and swam, too. I think he just prefers the challenge of competing in a sport all by himself... I'm the same in that respect.
rege is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rege View Post
I think he's said that he also played soccer and swam, too. I think he just prefers the challenge of competing in a sport all by himself... I'm the same in that respect.
Well it doesn't seem like he is doing too well with his challenges on his own so may be a "team" would have helped him I can't figure Robby out at all He is obviously a very athletic person, but for some reason it doesn't seem to translate to his tennis playing. It seems to be a head problem--not physical, but for someone who likes the challenge of competing in a sport all by himself you wouldn't think the head problem should be there
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #19
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

How do you figure that he's not doing that well? maybe he's not doing as well as he might have liked, but he was once among the top 20 in the whole WORLD. Would he have been one of the world's best swimmers or pitchers or soccer players? Who knows. But a lot of people would love to do as well as he has done, I am sure.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #20
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, Robby is recovering from an injury. He pulled out of DC due to a hip injury he is recovering from. He incurred the injury last week while he was out in LA for the Farmers Classic, but he should be back in action for Cincinnati assuming it heals up. Let's hope he does!
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by idolwatcher1 View Post
Unfortunately, Robby is recovering from an injury. He pulled out of DC due to a hip injury he is recovering from. He incurred the injury last week while he was out in LA for the Farmers Classic, but he should be back in action for Cincinnati assuming it heals up. Let's hope he does!
Poor Robby He looks so strong physically, but he seems to always have these nagging injuries Probably these injuries have hurt his career more than most people--including myself--have realized
Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #22

Well Robby got a WC into Cincy I hope he is able to make good use of it
Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #23

Well Robby plays S. Devvarman tomorrow. Devvarman is a Q. in the Tournament and I have to admit that is all I know about him Good Luck to Robby
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #24
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute

Nice win... 6-7, 7-6, 6-2. Davydenko is up next. Robby's playing doubles with Ryan Sweeting tomorrow, too... Robredo/Stepanek is up first there.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #25

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

good win considering he had the pressure on him in the 2nd set to stay in the match and win the tie-break. He did well in that tie-break (unlike the 1st set tie-break), and held his own in the 3rd set, and actually picked up his play a bit towards the end, perhaps sensing that the match could end on his terms if he just played more patiently and aggressively when the moment was right, which he did.

He cannot have a match like this one against Davydenko though... Davydenko is light-years ahead of Devvarman in experience and aggression. He generally serves very consistently well, and you really have to outsmart him on each point in order to win. Robby has it in him to do this, but he has to be ready, be up on his toes, execute well, and fight to win. i.e. he has to play his best
Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #26
country flag dweijnen

dweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond reputedweijnen has a reputation beyond repute

He played bad for most of the match, but he had some good moments in the game.
He can beat Davydenko if he plays at his best.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweijnen View Post
He played bad for most of the match, but he had some good moments in the game.
He can beat Davydenko if he plays at his best.
dweijnen I really like you and how well you support Robby But I'm sorry if it takes him 3 Sets to defeat a Q.
I can see no way he can defeat Davydenko Robby could get a win if Davydenko doesn't show up for the Match Note: Robby lost his 1st Rd Doubles Match.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #28

Robby did NOT appear to be serving well today in his doubles match... I think he double faulted like 5 times (once on break point when it was deuce), had multiple lets, and no aces at all. I really hope that was not an indication of how he'll serve tomorrow... if it is, we will see Davydenko win in two easy sets rather quickly.

Robby really has to make the most of this match, because it might be his last before the US Open, and that's not a good way to go heading into the last major.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #29
country flag rege

Well, Davydenko had a wrist problem in the spring and missed a couple of months. He hasn't had the greatest results in the last few tournaments (though he did make the QF's in Umag). I'm not suggesting that Robby will have an easy match, but Davydenko may not be in top form.

By the way, the "Monday Preview" on the ATP website listed Robby's coach as being Scott McCain... any word on whether this is permanent or temporary?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #30

not that I've heard... I just know that at Roland Garros this year, Robby was by himself and didn't have a coach, and that raised a few eyebrows because he happened to have a pretty good tournament there. I know nothing about Scott McCain, but if he's been coaching Robby this week, then yikes... Robby is capable of much better