Are there any countries where tennis is THE #1 sport? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are there any countries where tennis is THE #1 sport?

I would say no.

All the countries where tennis is very popular like Spain,France,Argentina and Serbia soccer is more popular. Tennis is biggest in Europe but soccer reigns supreme in every country. Switzerland may be the closest in terms of popularity because of Federer but they also have winter sports to compete with. Maybe some of our Swiss posters can shed more light on the situation in Switzerland.

Every Latin American country crowns soccer as their king(except Dominican Republic and Venezuela where baseball wins out). Tennis has some popularity on Brazil,Ecuador,Chile and Colombia but again soccer dominates them.

Tennis is pretty much non-existent in the caribbean,Africa and in the Arab world. The USA has a multitude of other sports more popular than tennis. The english speaking countries like Canada do not recognize tennis as a major sport.

Australia maybe at one time had tennis #1 but I think Australian Rules football is more popular. Swimming also big there. Tennis has receded in popularity there.

The one place that maybe tennis is the #1 sport is Thailand. srichaphan made the sport very popular there. A local coach from around my area left the USA to go coach the hottest juniors in Thailand. Soccer isn't very popular there and there are really no other sports. But even then it hasn't produced any type of tennis boom from Thailand. Southeast Asia, like Myanmar,Laos,Cambodia really don't have a sport and tennis could become popular there but the poverty levels may prevent it from gaining steam. Vietnam is only good at poker while Indonesia and Malaysia are manic over badminton. Taiwan had some good juniors in tennis and the sport may be gaining popularity there.

India likes tennis but it is way behind cricket and other sports.

your thoughts on the popularity of tennis is certain countries and where it is most popular and where it can become more popular.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any countries where tennis is THE #1 sport?

Sweden maybe? Had a glittering history of tennis success compared to football...
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

No

Ice hockey and football are way more popular in Sweden.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point, never thought about this. I don't think there is...
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading an article about how Federer's victory in the 2005 Wimbledon final was only the 89th mosted view sporting event in Switzerland that year. Also I think the same article said that most of his other grand slam triumphs from 2003-2008 weren't even among the top 20 most viewed sporting events in their respective years. I think the 2003 Wimbledon final only came in at no. 27 that year. I'd assume that his historical RG and Wimbledon triumphes last year must surely have drawn higher ratings in Switzerland. Still from that I'd assume that tennis doesn't even come close to football there (and Switzerland are appearing in their 4th consecutive major tournament right now) and skiing and other winter sports.

I'd imagine that the height of tennis popularity in the US was probably the era of the Borg, Connors and McEnroe triumverate. I've heard that tennis was getting higher ratings than NBA basketball back then, though I imagine it still lagged way behind american football and baseball.

Even when the US had the fab four of Sampras, Agassi, Courier and Chang racking up big titles in the early 90s, tennis was still losing popularity. The casual tennis fans (who of course heavily outnumber the diehards) only cared about Agassi and not the other 3 players. Sampras, Courier and Chang were often bluntly asked in press conferences why there were 'so boring', and Sampras was also often asked what could be done to make the sport more popular in the US again.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

"It is better to be big in many countries than to be the biggest in a few"
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
country flag andy neyer
Banned!

andy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond repute

I've often thought about this and I can't think of any either.
andy neyer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
country flag andy neyer
Banned!

andy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
it's not that big in many countries either.
andy neyer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #9
country flag Boarder35m

Boarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond repute

I am not 100% sure but I think that in most contries team sports are more popular than individual sports, maybe with the exception of swimming in for example Australia.

Team sports are always being played in leagues whrere you either can watch your team in the stadium or watch it on a regular basis on TV. Tennis, Swimming or other individual sports are not that regular on TT and if they are it depends stronger on the fact if you like a certain player if you stay tuned. I mean when you are a fan of one player but you see a different player it isn´t as interesting as watching a game with a team that could be your opponent a few weeks later or that´s fighting for a position on a league table.
Boarder35m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

tennis will never be a sport for the masses.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

in Spain it's popular. not so much as football of course but Rafa has "God status" there
64 Titles | 27 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 139 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 699 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the national sport of Uzbekistan

Through the good and the bad, always my #1, no matter what the rankings say
Baghdatis#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about Uzbekistan but Kazakhstan for sure
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
country flag rafa_maniac

rafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's up there in Australia. Ten years ago it might have been ever closer, it's receeded a bit since then. I think it's #1 among Australian women if that counts for anything. The Australian Open is probably THE biggest sporting event considering in a country of only 20 million, over 600,000 attended this year. Cricket, AFL and NRL all have more "diehard" popularity but tennis has broad popularity nationwide. As for swimming, it's really only a big deal during major events like the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
country flag Kournikovaism

Kournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond reputeKournikovaism has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Good Point, tons of people love Rugby Union here despite the fact it is not popular in many countries around the world but we focus on it like crazy

Its whats wrong with our sports setup. Focusing on unpopular non Olympic sports. I can see the merits of the GAA but I dunno what merits rugby union has for the country.

Sesil Karatantcheva
Quote:
Originally Posted by $uricate
How can a thread that introduced the giant frog to the rest of the world be a mess?
I couldnt care less about Ana's predicament when there is an incredibly large frog to be fascinated by.
Kournikovaism is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote